The Uber Metagame: a Fun "Change of Pace"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blissey is almost always set-up bait <_<; as long as you got sub for status your good to go (Mismagius ftw). And icebeam/flamethrower is doing laughable damage even with specs (lol)

mismagius... have you ever even played ubers before or is this a joke?

and also, with thunderwave and seismic toss, not many pokemon can come in and set up on blissey, other than groudon and garchomp (and kinda scizor, but protect makes that less effective), who get pretty badly affected by a toxic on the switch in.

Wobb really does wonders for turning bliss into set up fodder. Switch in on a status move, encore, and then safeguard if they keep using the status move. Or you can just use a boosting resttalker like Kyogre or Giratina or something.

mismagius... have you ever even played ubers before or is this a joke?

and also, with thunderwave and seismic toss, not many pokemon can come in and set up on blissey, other than groudon and garchomp (and kinda scizor, but protect makes that less effective), who get pretty badly affected by a toxic on the switch in.
Anything that doesn't get hit by status by Blissey on the switch in turn, can effectively turn her into set up fodder and set up themselves with the use of substitute.

Well, beating Baton Pass teams is simply a matter of stopping Mew. Using powerful attacks is mostly futile, as it (should) have Dual Screens. Stopping those is pretty hard to do, so what can you do? Well, as a person who uses a Lead-Mew, I switch in Scizor to Mew, U-turn to MY Mew, Explode, and finish it off with Scizor. However, if this is not an option, how you deal with Mew is dependent on which Pokemon is doing the Screening.
If Latios is the screener, then it will clear the way for Mew by using Momento. Thus, you can safely switch in a Mewtwo on a Latios after it uses Light Screen/Reflect, and threaten to Taunt Mew should it switch in. If Mewtwo or Bronzong (Exploding screeners) is the Screener send in something that will die when they Selfdestruct/Explode, and then send in a faster Taunter (I usually use Taunt-CM Mewtwo) on the double switch after the double KO. This may require you to modify your team, if you don't have a Taunt user faster than Mew. Using these methods, I have not lost a game to a Baton Pass team in at least a month.

BP mew is pretty easy to beat in my opinion, most screeners use a suicide move so just sacrifice something then bring in darkrai, or taunt mewtwo.

except there mew has a lum berry. so mew can rock polish and then taunt, then get another boost before baton passing. if you opt for 3hkoing mew with dark pulse he can just rock polish, SD or NP, and then BP to a sweeper who will have lum berry attached as well most likely.

Brick Break Scizor (Life Orb, Bullet Punch, U-Turn, Brick Break) or Brick Break Mix Dialga are also generally good counters. Whenever your opponent uses a Reflect or a Light Screen, just Brick Break it away so that Mew never has protection while it's setting up.

CB Metagross is also a check, as an Adamant 240 Atk Metagross does 252 HP/128 Def +Def Nature Mew that is behind a Reflect it does 91.58% - 107.67% with Explosion, a OHKO with Stealth Rock, and an okay chance without, not to mention it wont be effected by Memento. 'course, they might see it coming and switch right away, but then Mew'll have to stat-up from the beginning again, and will be 2HKO'd by plenty of things, even if it's behind Dual Screens and ESPECIALLY if it's already switched into Stealth Rock twice. Such as, say, Kyogre's Waterspout.

Generally, when using a non-Uber/ non-Steel, their role is to provide a nice within which to exploit one common pokemon. Scarfape's main role is to keep Darkrai in check, using it to gain an advantageous switch. In a pinch, it can be used to remove a sDialga at reasonable HP, or T-Tar, but it should not be used as a counter.

Similarly, you don't chuck Quagsire/Ludicolo on a team for no apparent reason. The sole reason its there is to force Kyogre out, and once your opponent is aware that it is present, it will force them to make certain moves, easing prediction.

As for Mew, I find Explosion is also a reliable way to remove it. Also, a slower U-Turner Baton passer (which shouldn't be too much of a problem if Mew is RPing), can be used if you predict the switch and go to your designated counter. For example, I see Kyogre is a pretty popular Rock Polish Recipient. Scizor pressures Mew and when I predict the BP, BAM, go to Ludicolo. Alernatively, you can always just try a scarf taunter like Mewtwo/Darkrai. Assuming Mew is fully Bulky, you can actually stop the pass, but thats gimmicky at best

I've always wondered about Quagsire/Ludicolo. Is using them that much more useful than simply using Palkia/Latias, who can both check more Pokemon and pose larger, more proximate threats to the opponent? I'm not hating on them, because I've faced Ludicolo and know that it can be horribly annoying for offense (stall can put up Toxic Spikes and phaze).

Brick Break Scizor (Life Orb, Bullet Punch, U-Turn, Brick Break) or Brick Break Mix Dialga are also generally good counters. Whenever your opponent uses a Reflect or a Light Screen, just Brick Break it away so that Mew never has protection while it's setting up.

CB Metagross is also a check, as an Adamant 240 Atk Metagross does 252 HP/128 Def +Def Nature Mew that is behind a Reflect it does 91.58% - 107.67% with Explosion, a OHKO with Stealth Rock, and an okay chance without, not to mention it wont be effected by Memento. 'course, they might see it coming and switch right away, but then Mew'll have to stat-up from the beginning again, and will be 2HKO'd by plenty of things, even if it's behind Dual Screens and ESPECIALLY if it's already switched into Stealth Rock twice. Such as, say, Kyogre's Waterspout.
ahh forgot about brick break, it seems to have little use besides breaking screens though

@mtr, I agree with you about quagsire, I don't really see what it can do besides counter choiced kyogres. Ludicolo on the other hand always seems to rip large holes in my teams. It really is a bitch to kill and I can see it being just as big an asset to some teams as a palkia or latias

except there mew has a lum berry. so mew can rock polish and then taunt, then get another boost before baton passing. if you opt for 3hkoing mew with dark pulse he can just rock polish, SD or NP, and then BP to a sweeper who will have lum berry attached as well most likely.
If you nasty plot first then you can 2KO dark pulse and they will be unable pass more than +2 speed unless they choose to forgo taunt, in which case you can sleep their receiver which probably isn't holding a lum berry.

If you nasty plot first then you can 2KO dark pulse and they will be unable pass more than +2 speed unless they choose to forgo taunt, in which case you can sleep their receiver which probably isn't holding a lum berry.
actually i would think theres a very good chance the sweeper has a lum berry as well

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Wow, after playing a few Ubers matches, I really can't go back to OU, it's so fun!! Anyways, all the people scooping crap on Ho-Oh should be ashamed. Out of the matches I have played, Ho-Oh has netted an average of 2 kills each. Seriously, keep the sun shining (Keep SR off as well, but rain is a bigger problem), and he runs through the opponent's team like a bitch.

I actually used a scarfed Ho-oh in the second rendition of my stall team as a further check on teams that massed Calm Mind users. It did weaken my team against Rayquaza, though, compared to using Dialga, and being forced to use Rapid Spin was not fun.

I actually used a scarfed Ho-oh in the second rendition of my stall team as a further check on teams that massed Calm Mind users. It did weaken my team against Rayquaza, though, compared to using Dialga, and being forced to use Rapid Spin was not fun.
Wouldn't you have to use Rapid Spin in a stall team anyway? The thing I like most about Ho-Oh is that it is the best switch-in for Scizors and having the potential to burn whatever is going to switch into it.

Wouldn't you have to use Rapid Spin in a stall team anyway? The thing I like most about Ho-Oh is that it is the best switch-in for Scizors and having the potential to burn whatever is going to switch into it.
I had Rapid Spin, yes. But Ubers is so fast paced that sometimes, you can't spin without acting recklessly, which is antithetical to the entire point of stall, which is consistency.

If Stealth Rock is up, Ho-oh is a horrible switch-in for Scizor, just because U-turn is so popular in Ubers as well, and even easier to pull off there than in standard.

I had Rapid Spin, yes. But Ubers is so fast paced that sometimes, you can't spin without acting recklessly, which is antithetical to the entire point of stall, which is consistency.

If Stealth Rock is up, Ho-oh is a horrible switch-in for Scizor, just because U-turn is so popular in Ubers as well, and even easier to pull off there than in standard.
I thought we were all in consensus that Ho-Oh should never switch-in while the rocks are out. And yes, I am aware that it is rather difficult to even get Forretress to switch-in; even more to spin away hazards.

I thought more ppl would be in the ladder after HGSS got released, I got into top 40 in 4 days by battling the same 3-4 ppl...

How do you think with these HGSS changes, Garchomp's spot or his role in the UBER environment will change?
No, Garchomp didn't receive anything significant, otherwise I'd reserve his update in the C&C forums. Nor did ubers in general really, beside a few ubers like mewtwo, and mew getting gravity, and forrtress getting pain split.

im pretty much guaranteeing you all that the uber metagame will remain nearly unchanged from these new moves. Surf will still be superior to hydro pump on palkia (as will aqua tail), pain split will be near useless on forretress, and any other nonsense move that i missed will also be near useless.

However, once arceus gets realeased things WILL get fucked up

^They will, but if they only release the lv 100 movie Arceus, then it won't be as harsh of a transition because of only being able to have 100 EVs per stat.

im pretty much guaranteeing you all that the uber metagame will remain nearly unchanged from these new moves. Surf will still be superior to hydro pump on palkia (as will aqua tail), pain split will be near useless on forretress, and any other nonsense move that i missed will also be near useless.

However, once arceus gets realeased things WILL get fucked up
Pain Split might be semi-useful to hit things like Giratina-O coming in to block Rapid Spin. The massive HP of everyone in Ubers helps things.

Arceus will certainly mess things up.

Pain Split might be semi-useful to hit things like Giratina-O coming in to block Rapid Spin. The massive HP of everyone in Ubers helps things.

Arceus will certainly mess things up.

Forrtress won't have much use with pain split against Giratina-O, with payback it actually stood a chance of beating the origin form, w/o it, say goodbye to forrtress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)