The In-Game Mono-Type Team Challenge

How would you implement that? First wild Pokemon you see, if it's not the type you want you can't catch it? That just sounds like more trouble than it's worth.
I would guess that you would have to make it "You must catch the first Pokemon of that type that you see. If the area has a Pokemon of the same type as your mono-team, you may wait until you find a Pokemon that has the right type to catch a Pokemon. If the area has no Pokemon of that type, you must catch the first Pokemon you run into."

Examples: You're doing a mono-Normal Nuzloche run of Platinum. You run into a Starly on the first route and catch it because it's a Normal-type. You go the the next route and run into a Shinx but don't catch it. You run into a Bidoof and must catch it. You go to Oreburg Gate and run into a Geodude. You must catch it because there are no Normal-types in Oreburg Gate.

I haven't done a mono-type run in-game myself, my friend LOVES to.

He's done (note: all of these are on Platinum):
Mono-Electric
Mono-Ground
Last time I checked, he's doing Mono-Psychic, but he's probablly finished now.

I've been wanting to do Mono-Fighting or Mono-Normal on Platinum, but since I'm already doing Scramble, that'll have to wait.

I am currently running through Platinum on Mono-fighting before I even herad of this challenge. I did trades though meh.

Currently just beat Byron.

Team:
Infernape L40
Poliwrath L42 (fucking stud)
Machamp L40
Breloom L40
Riolu L38

Its not too bad. Slightly harder than I thought when I get up against shit like Alakazam but other than that not too bad.

How would you implement that? First wild Pokemon you see, if it's not the type you want you can't catch it? That just sounds like more trouble than it's worth.
Exactly. It'd be relatively impossible. You'd probably have to do a common type to really succeed i.e. normal or grass/bug, maybe?

I am doing a mono ground in emerald. pretty hard because wallace is the champ. I have:
lvl 50 flygon
lvl 60 swampert
lvl 50 claydol
lvl 52 rhydon
lvl 50 camerupt
lvl 40 donphan

I might do this on Diamond using Normal because I probably like the most Pokémon in that type although it is a bit easy. Electric could be very interesting though

Possible Normal team:
Porygon-Z
Staraptor
Ursaring
Kangaskhan
Bibarel
Persian/Delcatty

Possible Electric team:
Raichu
Rotom
Magnezone
Electrode
Zapdos
Lanturn

I probably will do a mono-type Diamond playthrough with that Normal team, as long as it covers all the HMs, we'll see about Electric after that

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
Hmm...

-Swampert
-Sandslash
-Graveler/Golem
-Rhydon
-Donphan
-Nincada (lol)
-Camerupt
-Flygon
-Whiscash
-Groudon

You have a chance.
Oh, I know I have a chance.

Fun fact, you can't get any ground type worth getting until you've beaten Mauville. My Swampert's gonna be level 40 easy.

Whiscash is in for some Surf/Waterfall/Dive/Rock Smash Slaving. And replace Rhydon with Defense curl + Rollout Donphan.

It's gonna get interesting. But nothing challenging.

If you want to make any Pokemon game MUCH more challenging, just play the game with the Battle Style option from Shift to Set. Set makes it so that you cannot switch Pokemon after you have defeated the opponent's Pokemon. This makes the game feel sort of like a competitive Wi-Fi battle and there is a lot more prediction required for this kind of gameplay (unless, of course, you WANT to leave a Rhydon in on Blue's Blastoise :naughty: ) If you want to make the battles feel even more like a competitive Wi-Fi battle, do not use any items. This actually makes the game rather difficult.

anyone tried a mono psychic in R/S/E?

in R/S/E you get:
gardevoir
alakazam
Medicham (not in emerald)
Grumpig
Solrock
Lunatone
Claydol
Starmie
Chimecho (lol)
Wobbs....
Girafarig
Xatu

post-game
Metagross
Lati@s

event
Jirachi
Deoxys

you only get ralts and abra early on...most of the other psychics are located well after the 6th badge (only 5 psychics are catchable before then), alot of them are located in the safari zone. and ralts/abra can be easily walled by Wattson's magnemites, and the Aqua/magma members' mightyenas early on. kind of offputing. being unable to get beldum until after E4 kinda sucks too...

i want to try this, anyone have tips or suggestions?

You can't teach Abra or Ralts any non-Psychic type moves at that point in the game?
at the 3rd gym, the strongest attack you can get on either kadabra or kirlia (assuming they evolved) against steel's, is psychic bought at the gamecorner. kirlia can also learn t-bolt, but that won't do much better would it :(

I did a Mono-Normal challenge on Emerald once. It wasn't too bad. Most of the problems were at the start. For Roxanne, I needed to grind for my life! But both of my Slakoths (Yes two. One for each evolution! So in the end, I had Vigoroth and Slaking!), annoying as they were, managed to get us a victory. You really need to find a Taillow for the second gym, but apart from that, wasn't too bad!

My Team:
- Spinda
- Swellow
- Vigoroth
- Slaking
- Exploud
- Castform

I did a Poison-mono on Pokémon Red. In the end I had:

- Venusaur
- Nidoqueen
- Golbat
- Muk
- Tentacruel
- Venomoth

The first couple of gyms were easy, since I had Bulbasaur as my starter, but getting further on in the game, Sabrina, Agatha, Lance were troublesome.

My most recent in-game monotype though is a Bug Mono in Pokémon Ruby. My finished team was:

- Dustox
- Illumise
- Armaldo
- Pinsir
- Heracross
- Beautifly

Roxanne was hell to go through, with the only super effective move I had being Absorb coming off a Beautifly. Most of the gyms were challenging, especially since you're stuck with Dustox, Beautifly and Illumise until after you get the 4th badge, then you can't get Pinsir and Heracross until the 6th (well actually I don't know if you could go down the route to the Safari Zone beforehand, but I couldn't be bothered). The Elite 4 was okay until I got to Drake, I lost once then I got past him.

I'm thinking of doing some sort of mono on another game, perhaps Ruby again. I think I'll do what Oak, Gary said too, and change my battle option to Set and not use any items. So yeah, I'd like to hear what people think. :D

Armaldo is actually a beast, great offensive typing coupled with huge attack really seals the deal.

And depending on the IV's of abra or ralts hidden power could be good. Save the game, test it out and if you like your hidden power type then thats good.

In fact, I've decided to try Mono-Normal on Platinum, Sounds decent but risky....Grinding nessesary for 1st gym :/

Also, Can I recommend putting up a list of who's doing what on the front page?, Just a thought.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Will try doing a rock type run on ss with a omanyte as a starter(thought about kabuto first but there are only a very few special rock types and his lvl up movepool is better so i choose him)

i think i will use
omastar
sudowoodo
golem/rhydon
magcargo
aerodactyl
aggron
and maybe a hm slave for fly/whirlpool/cut

After some thought, I've decided to start a Flying-mono on Pokémon Ruby. My final team, until further notice, is:

- Swellow
- Gyarados
- Skarmory
- Crobat
- Tropius
- Altaria

... thank God Stealth Rock wasn't made in 3rd Gen. Any tips/suggestions?

Hi, I made some Mono-type challenges in various games and it's really cool.

First was a Poison-type in Pokemon Ruby (I made videos from this one and they are on youtube, I'll see if I can find the links). I had iirc :
Crobat : Confuse ray/Bite/Fly/Steel wing
Tentacruel : Surf/Ice beam/Giga drain/Water pulse
Dustox : Toxic/Protect/Psychic/Aerial ace
Weezing : Shadow ball/Return/Thunderbolt/Explosion
Roselia : Magical leaf/Leech seed/Growth/Grasswhistle
Swalot : Amnesia/Toxic/Sludge bomb/Body slam
I needed Explosion on Weezing for some pokes such as Glacia's Walrein because I'm unlucky with this Sheer Cold :(
That was not too hard because of Crobat, Tentacruel, Weezing and Swalot who were very good. Dustox and Roselia weren't very useful but still.

The next one was a mono-Grass on Sapphire. There was in my party :
Sceptile : Screech/Quick attack/Leaf blade/Pursuit
Ludicolo (impossible without him I think) : Surf/Ice beam/giga drain/fake out
Cradily : Confuse ray/Ingrain/Ancientpower/Acid (Cradily sucks in Sapphire)
Breloom : Bulk up/Strength/Mach punch/Sky uppercut
Vileplume : Sleep powder/Poisonpowder/Moonlight/Petal dance
Cacturne : Sand attack/Faint attack/Bullet seed/Leech seed
Flannery was very hard (I remember having only Lombre remaining with 2 HP, I forgot about Flail). There were also difficulties with Drake and Steven but thanks to Ludicolo and Breloom, it was succeeded.

The third one was a mono-Normal on Pearl. I had some trouble having two pokes but when I had them, it was much easier. But I don't remember the movesets.
Bibarel (I remember having a Simple Bibarel with Charge ray)
Staraptor
Girafarig
Ambipom
Snorlax (I thought about Stockpile and Belly drum but with Belly drum I think it would have been too easy if Snorlax had three Stockpiles so it only had Stockpile)
Cynthia's Lucario was very troublesome once it CH Snorlax, I had to PPwast it :(

And the fourth and last one was a mono-Ground run on HeartGold. A good friend of mine wanted to do a mono-Rock run (he just finished a mono-Flying run) and I just received the game so I decided to do one in the same time, without using OU pokes. There was my team at the end (I defeated Red with it) :
Hippopotas (last Poke caught, only because of the sandstorm) : Protect/Stealth rock/Earthquake/Yawn
Quagsire@Water absorb : Waterfall/Earthquake/Ice beam/Toxic
Steelix : Earthquake/Screech/Crunch/Strength
Sandslash : Sword dance/Earthquake/Shadow claw/Slash
Gligar : Sword dance/Earthquake/Quick attack/X-scissor
Nidoking : Flamethrower/Ice beam/Thunderbolt/Toxic (I got used to give it the choice scarf, thanks mummy)
For this one I used the Set mode so it wasn't that easy...and I was most of the time underleveled (I challenged the 2nd Elite 4 at lvl 53-55 and Red just after this, for example). Some Gym Leaders were hard, such as Pryce, Clair, Sabrina, Erika...Marion's Weavile was also troublesome, because of Ice Punch and Low kick.

And I think i'll do another mono-type run, maybe the mono-bug run in Heart Gold but I'm not sure.

If you want something fun/challenging, you could do a mono-Bug run of RSE. The only problems you should run into are Watson, Flanery, and Winona. I can't remember exactly what I had problems with, since I did it a while ago, but I used Beatifly, Ninjask, Shedinja, and Heracross and Shedinja was fairly useless (although, you'll need it for Watson).

In fact, I've decided to try Mono-Normal on Platinum, Sounds decent but risky....Grinding nessesary for 1st gym :/

Also, Can I recommend putting up a list of who's doing what on the front page?, Just a thought.
Im not gonna lie, i don't have the time to micromanage a thread and update the OP every day. It also doesn't encourage any discussion in this thread

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
I think a difficult one might be Mono Dragon in Ruby or Sapphire.

If you cheat the system and pretend Sceptile and Gyarados are pseudo-Dragon Types, you can do it. Gyarados is near useless as he is forced to HM Slave, and early(ish) game you can only pick up Altaria and Flygon. You can get a Mence after you get Waterfall which is much later, and then Rayquaza/Lati@s after you beat the E4 the first time.

But The Elite Four will be an epic bear to fight seeing as how Glacia and Drake carry SE moves against you, and half of Steven's team Walls STAB.

I think I'm gonna do that one next. lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)