5th Gen Concept Theoreymoning

Status
Not open for further replies.
We got this awesome new ability this gen in Perversity. However, the only things that get it are Shuckle (which can only raise it's attack via a foe with Intimidate), Spinda (which is pretty much reliant on Assist gimmicks to make use of it), and Jaroda (which has a poor movepool). What could be interesting would be a Pokémon who could make full use of the ability's potential. It would likely need subpar stats in order to prevent it from being broken, but perhaps a wall that could make effective use of it?

A weather counter would be a great concept as well. I could see a number of ways to go about creating such a thing, and it would be a fairly interesting concept to say the least.

Please, don't suggest we rehash ideas and previously used concepts. We are not bringing the current Caps to 5th Gen, and we won't create related Pokemon so we could.
Hmm.. Except a "perfect partner" with Zoaroak would be nothing like Voodoom, since it would revolve around Illusion, I just thought that the name was still appropriate. And Kindra of the Sun was never done, iirc it was only suggested once...
Thanks for the negative attitude though.

Hmm.. Except a "perfect partner" with Zoaroak would be nothing like Voodoom, since it would revolve around Illusion, I just thought that the name was still appropriate. And Kindra of the Sun was never done, iirc it was only suggested once...
Thanks for the negative attitude though.
You're missing the point I just made. Whether the Pokemon would be the same as Voodoom or not, we would still be running on a previously used concept. A concept that was done on the last CAP.

Actually one of the reasons for abandoning Gen IV CAPs was that the concepts could be rehashed in a new form. Specifically pulling that from this post. Even if we reuse the concept, it'll be of a completely different build because it's an entirely new metagame, and essentially be learning something new.

The 'Kingdra of the sun' concept sounds cool though. Sun honestly sucks right now. Or a Kingdra of the Hail, which got nerfed so badly this gen.

Actually one of the reasons for abandoning Gen IV CAPs was that the concepts could be rehashed in a new form. Specifically pulling that from this post. Even if we reuse the concept, it'll be of a completely different build because it's an entirely new metagame, and essentially be learning something new.

Well, while we could learn how it works in the current generation, I honestly don't think it would be forward moving for the project. Like I said, it was "just" used for Voodoom and it wouldn't be very inspiring to see "Pick a good-but-not-great OU pokemon, and design the perfect teammate for it," twice. We could always add being a good teammate for Zoroark as a characteristic to a future CAP, but not base its whole concept off it.

Here's an Idea I'd like to see:

* No Guard Special Sweeper (access to Zap Cannon, Purgatory, etc.)

I have two others, but they're good and I want to be the one to submit one of them when the time comes.

I've been very interested in a special No Guard Poke, that sounds cool. It would make an Electric immunity awesome because of Zap Cannon paralysis.

The biggest issue Isshu brought us from my perspective is definitely the weather. All forms of weather got gigantic boosts with Drought and Drizzle from Politoed and Ninetales, as well as the implementation of Pokemon like Doruuzyu and Landlos. Other Pokemon who were high OU or even Uber have been given boosts in the new OU, Garchomp for instance. A CaP who can neutralize the weather and even the playing field back to a system of natural stat-boosts through moves and not an automatic boost from a TTar would be optimal. I feel it would better stabilize the metagame, now you can carry a Doryuuzu on a team with no weather because you know you'll be facing enough sandstorm that you dont need anyone to start it.

Since this isn't very formal, I'll just throw around ideas.

-Dominant hail sweeper. Currently probably the worst of the 4 weathers, how would this change things yada yada yada.

-This is probably a bit of a stretch, but what if we had two Pokemon, one of which "evolves" into the other, with basically similar movepools but with the unevolved one having less defense. We could thus analyze the pros and cons of evolution stones, and whether or not Chansey is better than Blissey, for example.

-A Pokemon not necessarily dangerous as a sweeper under a weather, but as a supporter, helping, in some way, other weather sweepers sweep much easier. Could this redefine our current idea of a weather team, especially "offensive" weathers such as sandstorm or rain? I could see this idea also working with a Pokemon that becomes a huge "stall" threat in a weather, being hard to kill and walling several things.

-Make an excellent sweeper with extremely poor typing in general, offensively and defensively. How badly does this affect his otherwise brilliant potential?

-Non-ghost type spin-blocker. I don't mean to eliminate types already, but spin-blocker and ghost are synonymous nowadays, and we could explore how needing a ghost affects the structure of stall teams, as opposed to a grass type or flying type or whatever.

-A DANGEROUS sweeper that really only works well with copious amounts of entry hazards (meaning 6 layers). How would this affect our current notions of semi-stall, stall or offense?

-a weather DISRUPTER. We know a Groudon summons sun, but CAP1 changes the weather to a random weather NOT currently on the field, meaning that you can't prepare for it at all. How could we see weather as a defensive rather than an offensive tactic, and how can a team employing this CAP make sure it isn't hindered by the random weather inevitably induced?

Lots of ideas here, none of which are very well formed. However I think some of these are pretty cool!

Smith, your idea of a weather disrupter may be pure genius. Change the weather at the end of every turn, or every time it switches in? That would be amazing.

However, as Deck Knight said, we want to keep this limited to concepts. If the concept presented isn't viable without the use of a custom ability, please refrain from suggesting it.

I personally really like the hail sweeper idea, although the current hail-related abilities like Ice Body and Snow Cloak are rather painfully weak in terms of a sweeper.

deinosaur

now available in lowercase
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The biggest deal with weather is the power it gives to some moves and the speed it gives. Giving it Air Lock would allow it to end weather effects but would still have to worry about boosts in stats like Doryuzuu's SD. Giving it Unaware would allow it too ignore stat boosts but worry about weather boosts.

Maybe we could give it Air Lock as main and Unaware as secondary, and it would have the concept of "Stat Boosting Counter".

It gives it the ability to check a lot, but not too much.

deinosaur

now available in lowercase
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Krillowatt indirectly counters pokemon through Trace.
This thing counters Stat Boosters through negating weather or Stat Boosts.

Engineer Pikachu

Good morning, you bastards!
is a Contributor Alumnus
Krillowatt indirectly counters pokemon through Trace.
This thing counters Stat Boosters through negating weather or Stat Boosts.
So a multi-faceted Arghonaut. A quick question: Are rehashing of abilities allowed or prohibited? I've read both on the forums, and I'm just wondering.

I was thinking of a concept of a offensive Pokemon with great defensive but not necessarily offensive typing, how would this hinder it in terms of coverage and STAB, but allow it to switch in easily?

I was looking over the metagame and was thinking maybe we could try making a pokemon with ok stats that gets Mischievous Heart but also actually gets a boosting move. Not a move like Shell Smash or Butterfly Dance but maybe make it bulky with priority Curse or Cosmic Power to make it bulkier but not unstoppable.

Or if you don't like that idea then i was thinking of a new Pokemon with Air Lock thats typing counters common weather type attacks since the only one that has that ability is Rayquaza.

Just a few ideas I thought of.

Edit: I hope I am not breaking any rules by posting here but I wanted to see if I could contribute.

Ok, to go a bit off topic, speaking of countering weather, has anyone tried Ditto? Eccentric allows him to copy anything right away and hit them first with a Choice Scarf. Usually, those who take advantage of the weather won't carry a Scarf themselves, allowing Ditto to always go first. Prediction will allow you to switch in at the right time and kill. Works like a charm for some Pokemon (like Kingdra, as long as you don't switch into Outrage or Draco Meteor). Maybe something could be built off this? The only problem is for those who don't want to be locked in with the Scarf, there's no way to be sure that would would attack first since your Speed is matched with the opposing Pokemon.

Energy Storm, I feel that your idea is already fairly prominent in some Pokemon, not as huge as a CaP project would make it, but there are examples, like Kirikizan for example (Dark-Steel Fifth Gen). Although he has 3 major weaknesses, he has 9 resistances and 2 immunities, which is the hands of a defensive Pokemon (admittedly needing team support because of the fighting weak), would be an incredible asset, but it doesnt have a defensive stat-spread. This is also obvious in the chain of only offensive Dragons, while it is a very viable defensive typing it gets no usage as such because of stats.

Also to Aerodactyl Legend, Ditto can counter one member of a weather team, but he can't counter weather itself. Sandstorm is still a prominent power, and if he takes out Doryuuzu, and suddenly Landlos switches in after you've EQed, you're essentially done. But if CaP 1 switches in, removes weather, slows down Doryuuzu, and can begin to work a counter-offense, you have a successful pivot in the battle's power.

Also to Aerodactyl Legend, Ditto can counter one member of a weather team, but he can't counter weather itself. Sandstorm is still a prominent power, and if he takes out Doryuuzu, and suddenly Landlos switches in after you've EQed, you're essentially done. But if CaP 1 switches in, removes weather, slows down Doryuuzu, and can begin to work a counter-offense, you have a successful pivot in the battle's power.
Thats more or less what I was thinking about Air Lock since it really hasn't been implemented as well as it could have since they gave two pokemon it with Dream World but no pokemon got Air Lock from Dream World so I think it would be interesting to say the least in how it would work. I might not entirely stop weather but it stops it enough so that you can actually stop it.

I'm thinking about a pokemon that has a specialized movepool of primarily priority moves and non-attacking moves. There are many strong, fast sweepers that lack access to priority and/or are raped by it. Yeah, we've got Technician Scizor/Loom/Top and Roob, but this pokemon would be unique in that it lacks access to high-powered attacking moves like Close Combat, and it would be slightly more...unpredictable, since it would have a priority movepool exceeding everything up there. (augh I said "priority" too much).

Y/N?

Also, weather counter, but hey, originality is good.

We've got a bunch of interesting new abilities this coming generation, and lots of potential uses for them.

Tension: Bulky tank/wall that puts a dead stop to Berry users like SubPetaya Empoleon.

Inconsistent: Better Baton Passer than Smeargle? Not sure about this one.

Magic Mirror: Espeon should be good enough.

Wicked Thief: Now here's an interesting one. Can be quite annoying to many walls/sweepers.

Harvest: Lol. Not too competitively "whatever", if you ask me. Either broken or useless.

Analyse: Bulky Curse abuser?

Self-Concious: U-Turn counter perhaps? Of course, then GF has to go all "oops, we invented this move called Volt Change that everyone is using nows, so haha!"

Iron Thorns/Rough Skin + Rugged Helmet: Ultimate passive-damage abuser can be viable in some ways to counter physical sweepers, although I think Nattorei has that covered pretty well.

That's all I can think of from the top of my head right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)