NOSTABmons

Approved by Arcticblast

NOSTABmons
is a metagame for those who hate the predictability of stuff like V-Create Victini. For in this meta, nothing can use its STABs! "But now everyone will kill with their stall power, since nothing can attack STAB!", you say? Will, that isn't so! Even moves of the same type which you don't get STAB on are banned.
Which brings us to...
Rules:
Pokemon can not use any moves they share a type with.
Sleep, Evasion, Moody, OHKO, Endless Battle, and Species Clauses active.
All Ubers are banned except Lucarionite and Shaymin-Sky.
Protean cannot be used.
If you hold a mega stone that gives you a new type, you cannot use moves of the new type. For example, you cannot hold Ampharosite and know a Dragon-type move.
Smeargle can still Sketch moves.
-ate abilities cannot be used with Normal attacking moves. i.e, M-Pinsir can use Swords Dance but not Return.
Hidden Power cannot be used for STABs.
Anything without a listed exception is based off its listed type in the games unless I missed something that consistently causes STAB.

Last edited:

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hmm I thought there was a rule that metagames from last gen had to be remade by a mod or their original creator. Or at least gain approval from them. (Seek Bluntmons)

Anyway interesting Meta, last generation Alakazam ruled with its powerful non-STAB attacks. Other stuff like Gengar and Latios are fairly good too. You'll need powerful Non-STAB Attacks (Victini is still a good choice as it gets Fusion Bolt and a lot of coverage :p)

Btw what will Ditto do as it only gets Normal type moves?

EV

Banned deucer.
Hmm I thought there was a rule that metagames from last gen had to be remade by a mod or their original creator. Or at least gain approval from them. (Seek Bluntmons)

Anyway interesting Meta, last generation Alakazam ruled with its powerful non-STAB attacks. Other stuff like Gengar and Latios are fairly good too. You'll need powerful Non-STAB Attacks (Victini is still a good choice as it gets Fusion Bolt and a lot of coverage :p)

Nope, different metas because this bans ALL moves of the same type as the user. One example he gave in submissions was Ferro without Leech Seed along with no Gyro Ball and Power Whip.

Otherwise you are right, Snaq. Old metas need the green light from the original creator unless a reasonable amount of time passes with no response and the mods agree to let it go through with a new person.

They do, but this is a separate metagame that attempts to even the playing field of stall and non-stall by also killing non-damaging STAB moves.

Also, RIP Ditto, and Kecleon for that matter.

What happens with Normalize and the -ate abilities? Is Normalize banned, and do -ate abilities prevent Normal-type moves as well?

Some mons (like Exploud (no Boomburst), Shuckle (no Infestation) and the banned Xerneas (no Geomancy) have been nerfed quite a lot. Ditto and Kecleon are banned, but IMO Color Change should be unbanned because it only occasionally causes STAB (in that case, Mimic, Metronome etc. should be banned because they can cause STAB as well.)

What happens with Normalize and the -ate abilities? Is Normalize banned, and do -ate abilities prevent Normal-type moves as well?
They are fine, and I edited the OP to say so. It is only the starting type of the move that matters, but the current type of the user, making Protean fail, and Color Change accidents happen.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
lol Talonflame/Keldeo/Aegislash/Azumarill/Bisharp/Terrakion/anything known for STABSpam

Anyway, Clefable, Kyurem-B, Nidoking and to a lesser extent Landorus all look pretty solid. Banded Dragonite also looks quite good, and is still able to clean up well with ESpeed Mawile loses its main STAB but retains the crucial Sucker Punch, as well as the ability to SubPunch. Also, (and I'm not entirely sure if I'm correct in assuming it retains its coverage moves,) Greninja is relatively unhindered.

lol Talonflame/Keldeo/Aegislash/Azumarill/Bisharp/Terrakion/anything known for STABSpam

Anyway, Clefable, Kyurem-B, Nidoking and to a lesser extent Landorus all look pretty solid. Banded Dragonite also looks quite good, and is still able to clean up well with ESpeed Mawile loses its main STAB but retains the crucial Sucker Punch, as well as the ability to SubPunch. Also, (and I'm not entirely sure if I'm correct in assuming it retains its coverage moves,) Greninja is relatively unhindered.
Until you look in the banlist and see Protean...

AWailOfATail

viva la darmz
I was looking the Bluntmons thread a while ago and saw something to this extent:
"It's interesting, the way this works. Like, since Rotom-W can't use Water or Electric moves, you know that Charizard walls it cold and can kill with Solarbeam."
It wasn't that exact example, and no one would probably use Rotom-W in this meta, but it's still something cool to think about.

Also in the OP it mentions Ampharosite and that scenario, but what about Charizard? I'm guessing it can use Dragon Pulse if it holds Charzardite Y but not X. Just wanted to make sure that it was remembered.

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I wanna make a case for Color Change getting unbanned.

This Ability won't let you influence your STAB's and while it can change your type, so can Soak, Conversion, etc. It's however pretty underpowered and can do more harm than good. This is because it's only your opponent choosing what type you'll be so what you get STAB on is situational and not too hard to work around. The opponent can take advantage way easier though as it can just Rock -> Ground or Water -> Grasss

Some mons (like Exploud (no Boomburst), Shuckle (no Infestation) and the banned Xerneas (no Geomancy) have been nerfed quite a lot. Ditto and Kecleon are banned, but IMO Color Change should be unbanned because it only occasionally causes STAB (in that case, Mimic, Metronome etc. should be banned because they can cause STAB as well.)
No, because it is based off the original type of the move- for mimic and metronome, normal- but the current type of the user. I'll unban it anyone because of underpoweredness and situationality.
Also in the OP it mentions Ampharosite and that scenario, but what about Charizard? I'm guessing it can use Dragon Pulse if it holds Charzardite Y but not X. Just wanted to make sure that it was remembered.
Correct.

a meta where aurorus actually has use?? o_o

also uh good ol' pixilate sylveon is back for more :v probably the best wishpasser now since chansey can't use wish (or protect or softboiled for that matter, rip), hyper voice is god stab and yeah

(P.S. pinsirite, gg, aerilate everything)

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Wow, the -ate abilities are dumb in this. =\

Additional shoutouts to Sheer Force/Huge Power pokes.

HP cannot be used on Normal types or mons of its type. Who would want STAB on Hidden Power anyway.

Note, if you will for the questions: A move is classified as the same type as the Pokemon if they share a listed type or the Pokemon gets STAB on it.

Snaquaza

KACAW
BTW, about Weather Ball it classifies as a Normal type move, but both you and your opponent can influence in-battle by changing the weather. This causes various mons to get STAB on it, you can't ban the cause either as any mon can support.

EV

Banned deucer.
I think moves should be excluded from the type that they're listed as in the dex with the exception of Hidden Power because like Dry Paratroopa said, you can't have HP Normal. So for instance Weather Ball should be excluded from Normal Pokemon, but still usable on anything else. Judgment, Techno Blast, Natural Gift, Nature Power, Camouflage, Conversion 1 & 2, Electrify, Forest's Curse, Trick-Or-Treat, Reflect Type, Soak, and Ion Deluge are other moves that change types of moves or Pokemon and should be restricted only to the types they're classified as.

I think moves should be excluded from the type that they're listed as in the dex with the exception of Hidden Power because like Dry Paratroopa said, you can't have HP Normal. So for instance Weather Ball should be excluded from Normal Pokemon, but still usable on anything else. Judgment, Techno Blast, Natural Gift, Nature Power, Camouflage, Conversion 1 & 2, Electrify, Forest's Curse, Trick-Or-Treat, Reflect Type, Soak, and Ion Deluge are other moves that change types of moves or Pokemon and should be restricted only to the types they're classified as.
I'm going to allow Hidden Power for those who get STAB on it but not normals. I'm going to restrict it that way as you just said but keep Protean banned and -ate as above for reasons of centralization.

MAMP

MAMP!
Why are Protean/-ate banned? Has there been any playtesting to prove that they're broken? These bans seem like a knee-jerk reaction, let the meta develop before banning things.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
^forreal

Power creep has gone down, sure,

But bulky mons are still bulky mons.

Sylveon is still stopped by bulky steels/poisons/blobs/etc.

Pinsir is still stopped by skarm/electrics/etc.

Aurorus is still stopped by most things.

Many of these walls now struggle to hit them back given their stab removal, but they can still tank them and retaliate in some capacity

Mons like avalugg can find a niche in massive phys bulk+stone edge for pinsir

Perhaps they are overpowered, but let that be decided by testing/replays/etc, not theorymon (via ramparados, haxorus, megas, etc.)

MAMP

MAMP!
The only one I see as potentially broken is Pinsir, as most of its usual counters (Skarm, Rotom, Zapdos) rely on their stabs to hurt it and/or to recover, but even it should be tested before being banned.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)