Ability: Pressure
Level: 50
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off
- Low Kick

Pretty simple nom. Salamence is still outsped by non-Scarf Garchomp and Azumarill takes a hefty chunk from Earthquake so Weavile patches this. Also bops Gengar, outpaces Greninja and deals with Thundurus thanks to Fake Out + Ice Shard. Makes the Azu problem worse so something like Helmet Serp would do well next round to stop both Azu and Khan in one sitting. (Khan is still a problem although Low Kick does like 85% - Fake Out into Low Kick is a roll rip)
Doesn't this still lose to Gren lol

Reserving AV Conk

Last edited by a moderator:

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
lol you're never switching in but if you lead against it you can just FO into Low Kick and win or you bring it in after a sack and FO into Knock Off if they didn't Dark Pulse. Being faster and hard hitting is a good time vs. Greninja

lol you're never switching in but if you lead against it you can just FO into Low Kick and win or you bring it in after a sack and FO into Knock Off if they didn't Dark Pulse. Being faster and hard hitting is a good time vs. Greninja
Oh, didn't know FO+Low killed. Neato burrito

I kinda wanna nom Aegi, but it seems like a waste of time when everyone knows the standard Quiet Aegi, max SpA and HP, Sacred Sword(or Flash Cannon), King's Shield, Shadow Sneak, Shadow Ball, etc.

Could there be a better Aegi that fits? Or maybe it's not the best mon to add next, if at all. Regular doesn't deal well with Suicune, fears Trick in general, isn't exactly a hard counter to Serp and Scizor even if it generally does good against them, and is at least a little troubled by Greninja-Dark Pulse kills after some prior damage, and flinches are a thing(Dark Pulse always seems to flinch more than Waterfall even tho they the same chance.)

I really like the idea of Serp on the team. However I'm not sure regular old Solid Snake is the best. It is a nice set and beats Kang, Mence, and Breloom in particular better than something else, all of which are at least someone problematic for this team so far,nor just in general. But while getting those is nice, Solid Snake is a little less good vs all the mostly special threats I mentioned. Also dies hard to Greninja, tho there's not much Serp can reasonably do to avoid that but going offensive with a sash, tho it needs a boost to kill anyways.

Additionally, I think enemy Mence can be quite a handful, so I'd imagine it's best to increase Spe Evs a bit for 252 Neutral Mence. I was talking with Carbonific a while ago on PS and he doesn't really agree, tho I'm not exactly sure why since it's like 3 points from bulk to outspeed and set Reflect on one of the most dangerous mons in the meta, then paralyze. Plus this adds more helmet damage,

I think Klefki could be a good mom here. T-Wave is nice cause Mence will sometimes get parad, and if you both are it becomes purely beneficial for Facade rather than a trade off. Azu is slow, do it always appreciates this support. Swagger targets all the nasty special attackers that are trouble like Rotoms, Suicune, etc, and Foul Play can beat Rotoms and Latis in particular in conjunction with Swagger. One big problem tho is Suicune doesn't take enough FP damage even at +4, and you need lots of luck to take it out just with SwagPlay, and forget PP stalling cuz it does that to you. For that reason Toxic and Heal Block, or even just Heal Block to stop Rest and whittle with SwagPlay, seems like an ok idea. Switcheroo with a Scarf or Spexs messes up many things(Suicune) a ton, and makes life hard in things that Trick you since they're forced out.

Another idea I had is Whimsicott. Also synergies fairly well with the team type wise, and can Encore all that yucky set up to set up itself. The SubSeed Lefties set up is basic but brutal. Also does more an a little PP stalling, so I'd a Ptessure mob is added that could be cool. Whimsical can be evd to outspend Thund and Mence, so it can at least do something vs them, perhaps winning depending on factors like move sets, if you got a sub up already, and if they just set up and you can Encore that.

Sorry I'm not really no mind anything just musing, but hopefully this is ok.

Edit: Should mention Klefki can use Magnet Rise, perhaps with a helmet, to troll Mence and Chomp. Priority t-wave pretty much cripples Gengar, but I'd it's already behind a sub you're prolly done. Whimsicott Encores sub and totally wrecks Gengar, but loses if there's nothing like at or WoW to Encore.

Last edited:
I kinda wanna nom Aegi, but it seems like a waste of time when everyone knows the standard Quiet Aegi, max SpA and HP, Sacred Sword(or Flash Cannon), King's Shield, Shadow Sneak, Shadow Ball, etc.

Could there be a better Aegi that fits? Or maybe it's not the best mon to add next, if at all. Regular doesn't deal well with Suicune, fears Trick in general, isn't exactly a hard counter to Serp and Scizor even if it generally does good against them, and is at least a little troubled by Greninja-Dark Pulse kills after some prior damage, and flinches are a thing(Dark Pulse always seems to flinch more than Waterfall even tho they the same chance.)

Another idea I had is Whimsicott. Also synergies fairly well with the team type wise, and can Encore all that yucky set up to set up itself. The SubSeed Lefties set up is basic but brutal. Also does more an a little PP stalling, so I'd a Ptessure mob is added that could be cool. Whimsical can be evd to outspend Thund and Mence, so it can at least do something vs them, perhaps winning depending on factors like move sets, if you got a sub up already, and if they just set up and you can Encore that.

Sorry I'm not really no mind anything just musing, but hopefully this is ok.

Edit: Should mention Klefki can use Magnet Rise, perhaps with a helmet, to troll Mence and Chomp. Priority t-wave pretty much cripples Gengar, but I'd it's already behind a sub you're prolly done. Whimsicott Encores sub and totally wrecks Gengar, but loses if there's nothing like at or WoW to Encore.
There was already a suggested alternate Aegislash in the earlier pages by CoolStoryBrobat, I believe.

It was something like this.
Can I Do? (Aegislash) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Toxic
- King's Shield
- Flash Cannon

Your whimsicott idea sounds pretty interesting, too. You could come in on Zapdos' Roost and force a switch, or even prevent them from choosing Roost when they otherwise would use it!

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
There was already a suggested alternate Aegislash in the earlier pages by CoolStoryBrobat, I believe.

It was something like this.
Can I Do? (Aegislash) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Toxic
- King's Shield
- Flash Cannon

Your whimsicott idea sounds pretty interesting, too. You could come in on Zapdos' Roost and force a switch, or even prevent them from choosing Roost when they otherwise would use it!
Uhm, why Lum Berry on SubToxic Aegislash? I'm sure you meant to put Leftovers. SubToxic Aegislash is still a good partner for the core, the only reason I didn't nom it this week was because on its own it doesn't really address the problems the core has with Electric-types and bulky Waters. So yeah feel free to take this one this week lol

image.png

Whimsicott@Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 204 HP/ 52 Def/ 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Encore

Just the set from the strat dex but I guess thats ok. I just used the evs there, though as expected I wonder about alternate ev spreads. All the Spe is nice for Thund, Liepard, tying mirrors, and outspeeding up to base 115s when attacking(or outspeeding their +1 priority,) but only ones very weak to Moonblast or very weakened are you gonna attack rather than using a priority move. Still, more bulk doesnt do very much. Whimsi often isnt taking hits anyways, and even max physical bulk ismt gonna wall Kang.

Moves are very standard. Just regular SubSeed with the obligaory strong STAB. Moonblast's power and STAB make up for low SpA somewhat, and it has a nice 30% chance to lower the foe's SpA. Whimsi deals well with many of the things mentioned as trouble for Mence and Azu, but there are some exceptions. Serperior blasts Azu, can safely boost on Whimsi, killing pretty quick bar misses(and fearing nothing if it always hits, Moonblast isnt very much damage and can even raise its SpA more,) and can be annoying for Mence if it outspeeds. It can Reflect, and then likely live to Glare, also dealing two rounds of helmet damage. Offensive ones might have HP Ice or Rock, and live a DE with sash. Ofc, Serp loses easy if Whimsi manages to Encore anything but an attack(if its Glare you have to get lucky with para rolls, but thats not too bad.) Whimsi also does some decent PP stalling of Serp even if it doesnt miss, and it only has one attack usually , so...

Thund i dont like either(I think mainly regular but im not sure. Thund-T actually seems like it could be worse, since it hits a bit harder and still outspeeds everything but Whimsi which cant do much just fine.) It can just HP Ice Whimsi, breaking sub if you use that the first turn hoping for Taunt or T-Wave. There are few moves Whimsi likes to Encore Thund into. T-Wave might be good to Encore, tho Whimsi doesnt like para. Focus Blast and Grass Onot are good to Encore, but theyre less common. T-bolt does a lot of damage from odfensive variants unless you run more bulk, so thats often not safe to Encore either. The best things to lock it into are sub and Foul Play, but those arent very common at all. And Thund-T would never run either of those, limiting the number of moves good to lock it into. Not dealing so good with Thund even with all the evs to outspeed it is a good reason to look for an alternate ev spread.

Mamoswine starts to seem like a problem for this team with Whimsi. Its a very good answer to Whimsi, and also handles Mence with ease. Azu kills it, but is at the very least taking an EQ, and you never know if Mamo will have helmet, or Fissure hits. Mamo is extra tricky since there isnt much else Whimsi can run to do better against it. A Grass STAB really isnt strong enough all by itself(mayb if you have a sub up to start to stimach a few hits if Icicle Spear before they start dealing damage, or get lucky with it not hitting many times, but you give up a lot by dropping Moonblast.) Cotton Guard can mayb help take Spears, but crits are a thing, Whimsi lacks reliable recovery, and that hurts vs special threats, if which there are several to this team. Memento might be an ok move to help with Mamo and just in general. And Whimsi can beat just about anything if ot locks it into the right move, so Encoring EQ or something helps a lot.

A few other threats i notice looking at the c&c part of Whimsi's analysis are Sylveon amd Mega Gardevoir. Both are pretty common, especially the former. They can both take at least one hit and hit back extremely hard. Hyper Voice is ofc trashing Whimsi regardless of investment and hits through sub. Sylveon is basically immune to one of Whimsi's main things in Encore, since itll lock itself into Hyper Voice, and even if its not, Encoring that is ofc no help. I dont think even the odd SpA drop from Moonblast is enough, and certainlt not reliable either way. Using Leech Seed is really the best option after just switching out, ir Moonblast if the thing is at tiny helth. Mence can typically deal with both these physically frail-ish fairies with DE, but this one needs a boost or status, and isnt getting eithr unless its before the fairies. Azu doesmt really have problems with either, but cant switch in.

Anyways, if i win people should discuss if Memento should be used(helps ahainst all threats i mentioned but Serp, and also can be nice for Gengar,) and if this ev spread is really the best, or at least good enough.

Rotom-Heat @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 124 SpA / 132 Spe
Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Discharge / Volt Switch / Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute

This Rotom-Heat deals with Thundurus and other electric-types, a big problem for Mence + Azu, and annoys other common opponents like Talonflame, Aegislash, and Mamoswine. It also dishes out and/or switches into many forms of status and generally provides a solid defensive presence.

Speed EVs are set to outspeed Adamant Breloom.

I like where this is going, so I'll nominate something for my own.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download/Trace
EVs: 244 HP / 12 Def / 248 SpA / 4 SpDef (HP Fire)
Modest Nature
Ice Beam
Shadow Ball
Recover
HP Fire/Discharge/Thunder Wave

Since Greninja and Thundurus are pretty dangerous as of now, Porygon2 seems to be a good addition. I personally prefer Download since the offensive presence of a +1 P2 is pretty neat and might force the opponent to play more carefully if it is still in the back, on the other hand Trace can come in handy tracing abilities like Protean or Prankster, but it is more situational and because (e.g) it is meant to check Greninja for the team, changing its Type could easily backfire and hinder its defensive capabilities or force it to switch out early.
Ice Beam for Thundurus and all the Ice weak BSS Threats, Shadow Ball to deal with Gengar and Cresselia, HP Fire for Steel and/or Grass Pokemon like Ferrothorn (which is a problem for the team as of now IMO), and Recover is pretty self-explanatory. I slashed Discharge and Twave because both Azumarill and Mence appreciate Speed control to either Setup or Sweep more easily, but Discharge is preferred to keep offensive presence and deal a good amount of damage to Pokemon like Talonflame and opposing Azumarill while still having a reasonable chance to inflict paralysis. Depending on if Greninja either carries Gunk Shot or Low Kick it is handled pretty well between Azumarill and Porygon2, and even if it should carry both i guess it's still possible to deal with it nicely with some good predictions.
The EVs and nature are taken from the BSS Analysis since that seemed to fit pretty well, but feel free to suggest changes that might benefit the general matchup against some Mons. I will run some calcs myself tomorrow to see if i can optimize it, maybe a bit more Bulk to handle some other Pokemon better.

So rn we lack a thund switchin, kinda weak to some bulky waters with ice coverage, mamo is a little tough to switch into as well, gren is a little hard to deal with. ferro doesnt answer all these perfectly but does pretty decently while setting up rocks for mence which i think is big for any sweeper. ferro can kinda revenge greninja or switch in on predicted gunk shots. low kick does a lot but it can beat it 1v1 at full health, tho its a shaky af check so i think we would need another good gren check down the line if this were picked. ferro makes stuff like mamoswine and garchomp way easier to switch into, certain variants of kang as well. it baits in blaziken for mence too. it deals with some variants of thund kind of ok, also a shaky check so if this is picked another thund switchin will be needed. can kinda deal with bulky waters with leech seed and power whip. ferro also baits in wisp pretty well for mence so that can be really fun.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

EV spread could probably be changed if some SpDef is necessary. but best to do fine tuning when the rest of the team is decided.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Scizor @ Lum Berry
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Def / 204 SpD
Careful Nature
- Toxic
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off / Swords Dance

beats all non-LO Thund, Greninja without Water moves, Porygon2, Latios (usually), can revenge Cloyster if you don't flinch, Latias, Scarf Chomp, Mamoswine, and non-HP Fire Sylveon. I feel like it could be a cool teammate.

bobochan

slow mo my bobo
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Magnezone @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt
- Toxic
- Flash Cannon

Psynergy's set and core. (And got the idea from Nelson.)
I've seen Psynergy use this with Mega Salamence + Azumarill in a replay.
I don't know what the fourth move and EV spread were on Magnezone, so please correct me.
Custap + Sturdy is a powerful combination, easily beating those Ground-types 4x weak to Ice without priority.
Thunderbolt 2HKOs Thundurus and handles all bulky Water-types.
Toxic helps break down defensive monos and having immunity to Thunder Wave/Toxic is a huge plus.

Alright, let's do this.

Numbers (me)
Assault Vest Mamoswine
Life Orb Serperior
CoolStoryBrobat
Assault Vest Tangrowth
ethan06
Life Orb Weavile
PumpedAaron
SubToxic Aegislash
Omastar68
SubSeed Whimsicott
jroxas
Offensive Rotom-Heat
bobochan
Custap Berry Magnezone
cant say
Specially Defensive Scizor
NOVED
Physically Defensive Ferrothorn
fischgrat
Offensive Porygon2

Vote away.

I'm going to vote for bobo's Custap Berry Magnezone

Last edited:

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
gonna bandwagon and vote bobochan's godly Custap Magnezone. Beats Azu and Thundurus handily and can potentially get two kills in one match with Custap. Pretty great to soften a team up for Mence to clean.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
fischgrat's Porygon2

We need something that can be both bulky, provide offensive pressure, and have sustain to be able to come in repeatedly during the battle, which Porygon2 is the best at doing out of the current nominations. Otherwise we're going to find that our opponents will play the switching game with us until our defensive backbone (which looks to be Azumarill + Magnezone or Ferrothorn at the moment) is weakened enough for them to just spam attacks and win. For example, a well-played Garchomp will beat us quite easily.

Custap + Sturdy is a cool combo, but it works best as a lead and doesn't allow us to actually switch Magnezone into dangerous Mence threats, which I think is more important. So while it looks really interesting I don't believe it is the best fit for this team.

a0161613 I'm pretty sure my suggested Pokemon for the thread is still the Rotom-H set I gave on page 3. Granted I'm not really sure how it works if we've posted multiple Pokemon ideas in this thread. Aside from the Lum Berry, I was just mostly pointing out a mon and set Brobat brought up.

a0161613 I'm pretty sure my suggested Pokemon for the thread is still the Rotom-H set I gave on page 3. Granted I'm not really sure how it works if we've posted multiple Pokemon ideas in this thread. Aside from the Lum Berry, I was just mostly pointing out a mon and set Brobat brought up.
Two suggestions are fine and encouraged.

I wanna vote for jroxas' Rotom-h.

I've thought about it a lot, and I think Rotom-h deals well with Sylveon, Mence, Serp(better on these two,) Suicune(faster naturally so can sub to drain Scald PP, or just Volt Switch,) and most of the other threats mentioned to this core so far.

It deals worse with Garchomp, but that doesn't seem too bad rn. It's also a bit better vs. Breloom I think, since it can't Spore if it's behind a sub. Thund also can't hit it for much, and even though it lacks recovery, so does Magnezone. Fire coverage is also really important, especially for Scizor and Ferro. Skarmory is also completely impossible for Mence and Azu, tho Magnezone is ofc great for that too. One other thing is I think I like Toxic over WoW since that helps so much with Cress, Lati twins, and in general.

Anyways, I'm still not sure, and not trying to hurt bobo's feelings:) Like I said earlier, pretty much all the nominations seem like they'd be good. Rotom-h might seem to cover more of the threats to this team so far, but that may not be necessary since there are three more teams lots. I'm fine with w/e really lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I kinda do agree with cant say here. This core needs something that can pivot into the attacks that Mence does not want to switch into and stay alive while doing it repeatedly.
This basically leaves the Roost Scizor, the Recover Porygon2 and the Regenerator Tangrowth.
Out of these I like the Hidden Power Fire Porygon2 the most for this core, because we need something to threaten (maybe even lure) Ferrothorn and relying on Focus Blast Tangrowth is a BIG RED FLAG in my book.
Which is why I'm voting for...

fischgrat's Porygon2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)