The Everything NFL Thread - 2017-18 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
The general public going full zapruder film on the penalties called for the Pats every game because they believe there's some grand conspiracy to have them win the superbowl is probably the greatest testament to the Patriots dominance yet.

"T-they just can't keep winning like this, THERE HAS TO BE SOMETHING ELSE GOING ON HERE!"

They've finally broken the psyche of the average fan and killed the football watching experience for them.

Common Armchair Analysis: The Jaguars should not have run the ball to eat clock as much just because they had the lead. Need to keep on being aggressive.

Other Common Armchair Analysis: The Falcons should not have been so aggressive in their playcalls with the lead. Should have run the ball to eat clock more.

Things it can't be: Both.
Sure it can, one of those teams had a 25 point lead and continued passing the ball in obvious run situations (3rd and 1 strip sack, 1st and 10 in FG range) while the other ran the ball almost every 1st and 10.

Here are the Jags 1st down plays in the second half while they still had the lead:

Run for 2 yards
Run for 1 yard
Run for 3 yards
Incomplete short pass
Run for 0 yards
Flea flicker for 15 yards
Run for 2 yards
Run for 14 yards
Run for 2 yards
Run for 1 yard
Run for 1 yard
Run for -1 yard

10 called runs for 25 yards (14 on one play), 2 called passes for 15 yards

In the first half they had 8 called first down runs for 33 yards and a TD, and 8 called passes for 102 yards and a TD. In fact, before the last drive, Bortles was 9/10 passing on first down, and they STILL didn't trust him with the ball. I've seen John Fox with more aggressive calls.

Also I feel like if someone asked you back in September that the Patriots would be playing the Titans or Jaguars in the playoffs you would have had a different opinion on their chance to win :p

Last edited:

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
It's almost like after everyone just decided to make the Patriots the villains of the league people are really mad about Patriots fans who lean into being the Villain.
this x1000: what are Pats fans supposed to say? Here's how a typical conversation goes:

Pats fans: Hey good game guys, you played hard and maybe next year we'll see you again! Go Pats!

Other fans: FUCK BRADY FUCK BELICHICK FUCK THE PATS IM ROOTING FOR THE GROUND TO OPEN UP AND SWALLOW YOUR TEAM WHOLE

Pats fans: Ok guy how about you go take a nice trip down the Mass Pike and go fuck yourself, PATS RULE WOOO

repeat ad nauseum for 15 or so years. the second you say you're a pats fan either online or outside new england, you instantly get shit on no matter how you phrase it. why wouldn't we ham up being the heel?

people online in general are too young to remember when boston sports were a joke; the only semi-competent team was the celtics and even then they stopped winning when bird's back gave out. ffs the bruins gave ray bourque a parade FOR WINNING A STANLEY CUP WITH THE AVS. thats how low boston sports were. so, sorry for enjoying this absurd run of dominance. actually; sorry i'm not sorry.

ps how many of the jets/giants fans complaining are also yankees fans, or how many of the fans in cali are also lakers fans? success breeds contempt. thats just how it is.

not trying to get into FG range at the end of the half was infuriating.

the personal foul on Church was questionable. he lead with his shoulder and Gronk lowered his head.

fumble recovery being called dead was such bullshit.

the delay of game penalty probably lost us the game.

that 3 & 18 3rd down we let them convert was a killer. Gipson said after if you ran that play 10 times, 9/10 he'd get the stop. so frustrating.

Jags should have had that game and choked.

not watching the super bowl because who gives a fuck.

So, I’m a young, likely sheltered eagles fan and I have to ask; why does everyone hate them so much? I just don’t know what it is, ‘cause it’s not like we’ve been relevant at all for the past decade-ish, until now.

So, I’m a young, likely sheltered eagles fan and I have to ask; why does everyone hate them so much? I just don’t know what it is, ‘cause it’s not like we’ve been relevant at all for the past decade-ish, until now.
I'll let someone else open this can of worms. Though I would like to say Andy Reeiiiiiiid lol

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Eagles fans (actually Philadelphia sports fans in general) are notorious for being very nasty and disrespectful to anyone not in their ranks, and even toward each other. As was mentioned earlier they pelted Santa with snowballs. They also have been known to throw more dangerous objects like batteries at opposing fans with no provocation. Add to that their propensity to shit up the city after a game, win or lose, and they have a reputation as the worst fanbase in sports. Like, I complain about patriots fans being smug and arrogant, but they at least have a reason to be. Philadelphia fans tend to be just massive douches for no reason. Not all of them obviously, but it's enough of them to be pretty much universally known.

Put it to you this way: I'm a diehard Steelers fan and would proudly wear my jersey into any stadium in the country, including Cleveland and Baltimore. There's only one stadium I won't, and that's Philly. I would legitimately fear for my safety there, even at my size.

Do the Jags stick with Bortles next year or nah

The ceiling with him is pretty clear imo
there's 5 QB prospects worth a damn this draft, and of those maybe 3 are ready to start (Darnold and Lamar Jackson likely exceptions). I think only Jackson/Mayfield might be available at 29, but with 4 teams in the top 6 QB needy plus the Cardinals, Bills, and maybe Chargers/Saints/Steelers (I think these teams would be foolish to pass up Mayfield), I doubt this isn't a 5 first round QB draft.

That leaves the free agent QBs: Kirk Cousins has probably 5 better options to pick from, Sam Bradford is an old hat on a young team, Case Keenum is not an improvement over Bortles, and Brees/Jimmy G aren't going anywhere. Teddy Bridgewater is an interesting thought, but I'd consider him to be a wild card among wild cards at this point. Other wild cards are McCarron and Alex Smith, but who really knows.

I think the Jags draft a mid round QB or add one in free agency due to the high price it would be to trade up in the 1st. I doubt they start opening day unless they don't re-sign Bortles.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
there's 5 QB prospects worth a damn this draft, and of those maybe 3 are ready to start (Darnold and Lamar Jackson likely exceptions). I think only Jackson/Mayfield might be available at 29, but with 4 teams in the top 6 QB needy plus the Cardinals, Bills, and maybe Chargers/Saints/Steelers (I think these teams would be foolish to pass up Mayfield), I doubt this isn't a 5 first round QB draft.

That leaves the free agent QBs: Kirk Cousins has probably 5 better options to pick from, Sam Bradford is an old hat on a young team, Case Keenum is not an improvement over Bortles, and Brees/Jimmy G aren't going anywhere. Teddy Bridgewater is an interesting thought, but I'd consider him to be a wild card among wild cards at this point. Other wild cards are McCarron and Alex Smith, but who really knows.

I think the Jags draft a mid round QB or add one in free agency due to the high price it would be to trade up in the 1st. I doubt they start opening day unless they don't re-sign Bortles.
My Ravens are well before the Saints or Steelers in the draft and I think we'd be stupid to pass on Mayfield. We need a qb more than almost every other franchise. It's time to leave Flacco in the past.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
My Ravens are well before the Saints or Steelers in the draft and I think we'd be stupid to pass on Mayfield. We need a qb more than almost every other franchise. It's time to leave Flacco in the past.
I can give you a few million reasons why he won't get left in the past lol, you're not getting out of that contract until 2020 at the earliest.

Do the Jags stick with Bortles next year or nah

The ceiling with him is pretty clear imo
i think they stick with him for 2018-19, draft a mid-rounder, and hope for the best.

i mean i'd love Cousins, and we have the cap space to bully other teams out of the way, but i just don't think we go after him.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In the short term the jags would do well if they grabbed cousins, but I think the smart thing to do would be continuing to build through the draft. They should save all that cap space for a couple years down the road when those young defenders finish their rookie contracts so they can afford to retain them all. If they got cousins they'd have their franchise qb, but they'd only have a couple year window before their defense falls apart. Shad Khan has shown himself to be very future minded so I think he's aware of this.

Of course, they could do the opposite, grab cousins and then try to keep the defense built through the draft, but as we've seen this year they really only need a marginal improvement at qb to be a true super bowl contender. Given that Brady, Ben and rivers are all approaching retirement and there aren't any true elites behind them, the afc will be wide open for a team like the jags to become its big dog.

If it were me, I'd invest in their already proven commodities (Ramsey, Bouye, Smith etc) and try to pick up a qb upgrade in the draft. Or, at the very least, take a look at some free agents who aren't as expensive as cousins like mccarron or Bridgewater.

Bongi

trust the process
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I'm an eagles fan, a Philadelphia fan in general, and honestly you have to give respect where respect is due. Tom Brady is the g.o.a.t. even at 40 he's doing incredible things. It's a shame all of the cheating nonsense will take away from the most decorated careers ever. (Still hope eagles win tho)

but to say they'll cheat their way to a superbowl when in reality they're an incredible football team just looks salty.
Still 12 days left.

As for Flacco, they're stuck with him. Pretty much have to focus on the skill positions and defense and hope he does better next year.

While Bortles is young, Jaguars should draft a new QB to grow with this team. Bortles just isn't the guy. The smart thing to do would be to draft and keep him to finish the contract, but you look at his payout....

Man I've been busy so I never shared my two on the nfc championship game so I'm just going to leave this pain collage a vikings fan made here

1IeMUbMjl45BcuI3YtqsQZhkOYxIqiyp3G-lySrz-QU.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)