Smogon Forums

shiny finder
shiny finder
Wow!! Congrats! ^_^ I'm really happy for you. How did you get it to work?
Misdreavus
Misdreavus
Thanks. I ended up popping the cart open and cleaning the chip itself with alcohol and a Q-tip. The plastic case doesn't completely snap back on, but it goes back on enough to be inserted into the DS.

BTW, as a shiny hunter, I'm guessing you've RNG'd a shiny Tornadus/Thundurus... any idea how you find the PID of an existing Thundurus (without anything external) in order to RNG it as a shiny?
shiny finder
shiny finder
Oh wow. I'm surprised it had to be that invasive. Glad you got it working though.

I have. :) I was about to respond but Timey ninja'd me...again lol. Unless you could figure out what frame/seed you hit, I don't think so. Are you just using the info of an existing one because you know you can hit that frame?

If you need the PID checked though, I could help out (unless you're just opposing to using external devices).
Misdreavus
Misdreavus
I know the seed (70ED037B1A7111AC), and I know that 0 Chatters got me Modest, 1 Chatter Hardy, 2 Chatters Bold, 3 Chatters Lax, and 4 Chatters Timid (my target nature). I looked between frame 400 and 1200 for a Modest/Hardy/Bold/Lax/Timid pattern in PIDRNG frames, but found nothing.
Misdreavus
Misdreavus
And I'm using the info of an existing one because I know I can hit it and it happens to be the same IVs/nature as what I would want a shiny of.
shiny finder
shiny finder
Ok, so that's a good start. The problem with Torn/Thun is that the rain doesn't advance the frame by a constant amount every time. So odds are the natures won't line up exactly...they just have to be close. I'd recommend doing 0,10,20 chatters and seeing what lines up, rather than ones so close together.

With that being said, around frames 448 or 662 might be possibilities. I'm a little rusty on the proper frames based on season etc.
shiny finder
shiny finder
Oh, and you might want to go higher than those 3 chatter numbers. I was just giving an example haha
Misdreavus
Misdreavus
I've heard that the 0, 10, 20 strategy is the way to go, but I've never understood why. I already have this Thundurus saved (RNG'd it years ago), so I'd have to play through the game twice if I were to go back and redo it (once to do the Chatters like you suggested, and another for the shiny).

As for frames 448 and 662, what do you mean? Those aren't Timid. I also know that its characteristic is Mischievous, which could help, but I've heard that RNG Reporter's characteristics can be wrong (not sure if this is true or not).
shiny finder
shiny finder
I'll see if I can find the posts about it, but iirc basically it's because the rain advances the frames different amounts depending on what frame your on. So frame 100 could lead to 400 advances from the rain, but frame 101 could result in 390...meaning you'd actually hit an earlier frame even though you advanced it by 1 (it goes both ways, so you could hit a later frame too). Advancing the frame by larger amounts helps settle out the changes in the rain advancements.

Based on the above, frames 448 and 662 have the cluster of natures you got close by. Looking at it quickly, those might be close to what you hit (i.e. the timid on 443 [iffy] or 673). The characteristics are sometimes off, so I usually don't use them.

As I offered before, if you don't mind importing it/external devices I can check the PID for you in gen VI.
shiny finder
shiny finder
Misdreavus
Misdreavus
I'm not seeing matching natures around those frames on my end. I'm using the Gen 5 PIDRNG method, Roaming Pokémon.
shiny finder
shiny finder
Hmm, 448=Modest, 446=Lax, 449=Hardy, 443=Timid

662=Modest, 663=Lax, 672=Hardy, 673=Timid

Is that not the same on yours?
Misdreavus
Misdreavus
Well they are the same, but they're all out of order from what I got.
shiny finder
shiny finder
Right, which may in part be due to the inconsistent rain advances. It's also possible that's not the right frame range. Unfortunately, as it stands now I don't think you'll be able to determine the frame from just looking at the Reporter.

If you really want to know the PID, your best bet would be to import it and check the .pk6 file with PkHex.
Misdreavus
Misdreavus
I did see in the link you gave me that the starting frame in winter is 260-300, and my RNG was in December.
Misdreavus
Misdreavus
In that case, it might be frame 309. All of my natures are found in the 302-309 range, and if I did the math correctly, the characteristic for that frame with Thundurus's IVs matches its actual characteristic.