Eternal's Ark (Peaked #6 on Smogon server)

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
Eternal's Ark

Note: Still trying to paste teams back from what I have in my Word Document.
At a glance:

This is my most successful team by far on any tier. It helped me get to #6 on the Smogon server with 1494 points. I then took this team to Pokemon Online, where I went 31-3 to get to req levels there (after the deadline, sad kitty.) I couldn’t have done it without my tutor, Eternal, who frankly knows his stuff better than anyone else and helped me improve from an above average player into one that can get Suspect requirements (hence why I named the ark after him, it took well over 40 days and nights to get this team to where it is now.) This team is a modification of the first team “we” built together, which I will explain below in the team building process. It’s not totally his team, though, as I provided two of the members later on. Still, I’m pretty sure that most of Smogon has seen this team, so I’ve decided to retire it for now. The suspect testing results might be drastic enough to where I will need a new team to play with.

Team Building Process

[19:21] <Eternal> alright
[19:22] <Eternal> let’s start off from the usage stats
[19:22] <Eternal> we'll go through the list
[19:22] <Eternal> from the most popular used Pokemon

(I then spend 10 minutes thinking of what it philosophically means to counter a Ferrothorn)
01[19:32] <toshimelonhead> oh
01[19:32] <toshimelonhead> I'm thinking WAY too hard atm ;)
[19:32] <Eternal> yea
[19:32] <Eternal> I'm trying to make it a simple process
01[19:33] <toshimelonhead> ok
[19:33] <Eternal> so don't think too much
[19:33] <Eternal> just provide to me like the simplest
[19:33] <Eternal> and whatever answer comes to your mind

The first tutoring session was three and a half hours of torture, and I hated the initial result. It was a decent team, but I remember it giving up a few wins just because I had too much of an offensive mindset. I wanted to throw the team away, but Eternal encouraged me to stick with it and try to find as many threats to the team as possible. When I showed him the list, he replied that my “threats” came due to my play style and not the team’s fault. Frustrated, I tried other teams for a while and let this one settle for a little bit. Eternal gave me similar teams that he let me try out, including a team very similar to Undisputed’s “Rain Man” team, but I could not find the exact combination that I liked the best (nor did I like using teams that I didn't create on the ladder).

I switched Jellicent for Latios because I thought that Spinblocking wasn’t necessary for this team. After a few weeks, I had a very poor ladder session where I lost around 250 points. Most of these losses were due to taking Toxic off of Chansey, which allowed threats like Volcarona and Thundurus to set up with no problem. Looking at all of the loss logs, I realized what changes I needed to make.

Version 3 of the team:
This is the final version of the team. Gyarados was added to take care of Volcarona, Thundurus, and Excadrill under the rain. Mamoswine was added because it had the same move coverage as Gliscor but had much more power, especially with a Choice Band. It didn’t immediately get to Suspect worthy, but over time and enough practice I ended up getting reqs.

Politoed (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Toxic
- Perish Song
- Protect

Politoed is the obligatory member of all rain teams. Its only job is to make sure weather stays up. Scald and Toxic are given on any defensive Politoed to make sure my opponent stays statused. Refresh is there to keep status off of Politoed for as long as possible, and Protect is there for scouting. The EVs are there to out speed Jellicent and Skarmory. One thing worth testing is to drop Politoed’s speed to keep weather up for as long as possible. While Perish Song helps against BP, it is not a “fail safe”. It's just a better option than Refresh because Politoed isn't supposed to absorb status. The better option against BP is to not let it set up, which in Gen 5 is much easier said than done.

Tentacruel (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 20 SAtk / 44 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Protect
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin

Tentacruel’s role is very similar to Politoed’s. It controls the hazards and tries to burn Ferrothorn so that it doesn’t wall the whole team. This is the exact same set that Undisputed uses, but I have different EVs. Scald and Protect are there for the same reason Politoed has them; Toxic Spikes and Rapid Spin are there to keep the hazard situation in my favor. 20 SAtk guarantees a 3HKO against Conkeldurr. 44 Speed puts Tenta at 247 to outspeed many pokes in the 244-256 range. The rest go into HP and Defense for maximum bulk.

As for the item, Black Sludge or Leftovers are basically the same, take your pick. Black Sludge is nice for Trick users, but I figure that Black Sludge has a good chance of getting onto Chansey so I'll keep it as lefties.

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss
- Softboiled

Ah, everyone’s favorite whore. Early on in my pokecareer, I hated playing with Chansey/Blissey because they just seemed to wall attacks without doing much in return. However, Chansey serves as an integral role on this team as being the main check to Thundurus and Volcarona. Chansey also gets SR so it has something to do besides wall things. Toxic helps Chansey wear down special threats and puts opponents on borrowed time to attack. Seismic Toss and Softboiled are both Chansey standards. EVs and item are both standard, as well.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 120 SAtk / 136 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Thunder
- Water Pulse
- Substitute

Eternal gave this set to me long before the use of Rain Man, and I have used it ever since. Jirachi is one of three pokemon that can end a game for me. Its main role is to set up on Ferrothorn or something similar and get a couple of Calm Minds under its belt. Thunder and Water Pulse are adequate coverage. Thunder is preferred for Starmie. Gastrodon is a trouble for this team, but in reality does not do all that much. If I see one in Team Preview, the normal protocol is to try to Toxic it as soon as possible because Jirachi can sweep otherwise. Otherwise, the EVs are a little different from the Rain Man Jirachi. 252 HP allows for 101 HP subs that do not break under a Seismic Toss. 136 speed EVs allows Jirachi to outspeed Adamant Toxicroak. The rest of the EVs are allocated towards Special Attack.

Gyarados (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Stone Edge

<3 ScarfMoxieDos

Now is when I deviate from Rain Man and put my own twist to it. Rain teams in general struggle against Thundurus and need 2-3 solid checks on a team because nothing counters it outright until GameFreak releases Volt Absorb Raikou. Chansey alone is not enough because a +2 Focus Blast can still 2HKO. Mamoswine can revenge Thundurus, but not other threats like Volcarona, Mynism Toxicroak, Excadrill, and Terrakion without Rock Polish. My solution to this was to clean these up with a Choice Scarf Gyarados with Moxie. This set has saved me so many times. Waterfall is the only move necessary, as the rest are fillers for early game when I do not have a better option. When certain checks are gone (Rotom-W, grass-types, Gastrodon, Energy Ball Jellicent), Gyarados can sweep with the rain up. A cheap kill for ScarfMoxieDos will power up Gyarados to the equivalent of a Dragon Dance and allows Gyara to 2hko the standard Rotom-W set 100 percent of the time. Scarfmoxiedos is a “surprise” set that may not be the best set for Gyarados overall, but it is the best set for this team because of what it can check. An Adamant nature puts Gyarados at 391 speed, allowing it to outspeed everyone but Jolteon while still holding on to its attacking power.

Mamoswine (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Snow Cloak
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Earthquake
- Frustration

I do not remember placing Mamoswine on the team for a specific purpose. I was looking for something “more offensively minded” than Gliscor without wrecking any “synergy,” for lack of a better term. The “proper” Gliscor runs only Ice Fang and Earthquake as coverage moves, and the only pokemon that I thought could attack with those types better was Mamoswine.

Mamoswine is the second of a revenging duo involving Gyarados. Ice Shard is the main move on this set as it can tear through DD Dragonite, especially those that are not at full health or are locked on Outrage. It also OHKOs Thundurus at full health 78 percent of the time. Icicle Spear’s main role is to break through Substitutes. Although this set does not out speed Jolly Breloom, much of the time it does not matter because 99.9 percent of the time opposing Breloom Focus Punch while a Substitute is up thinking that they are safe. Earthquake is the hardest-hitting move on the set, allowing it to 2hko Reuniclus and provide STAB coverage. Stone Edge is filler because we all know it sucks and that there is not much else for Mamo to use. EVs and nature are again standard. After testing both Choice Band and Life Orb, I decided that Choice Band hits harder and being locked into a move is not that big of a deal, because Mamo revenges most stuff anyways.

This team counters Thundurus as well as any current team in the metagame can. Gyarados with a Choice Scarf OHKOs in the rain more times than not. Mamoswine’s Ice Shard OHKOs 78 percent of the time. Chansey can prevent the sets without Focus Blast or Hammer Arm from doing that much. These are three solid checks to Thundurus.

However, the metagame does not have a suitable way of dealing with Thundurus right now. The main options for a team to handle Thundurus right now are Chansey, Quagsire, Gastrodon, or running a Scarfer that you don’t mind risking getting paralyzed. Chansey loses to sets that have Substitute, Taunt, or a Lum Berry. Quagsire and Gastrodon lose to Thundurus that carry Grass Knot, although that is not common or recommended. However, Thundurus should not stay uber forever. When Volt Absorb is available on Raikou, it can withstand all of Thundurus’ attacks and avoid paralysis with Thunder Wave. Jolteon can perform a similar function but does not have nearly enough bulk to be a staple in OU game play. The addition of new Dream World pokemon like Choice Scarf Genesect and Meloetta will also be able to check Thundurus. However, with the metagame in its current state, Thundurus should become Uber.

On Pokemon Online, however, I would NOT have voted Thundurus uber because Blaziken, Deoxys-N, and Kingdra all outspeed Thundurus when set up and are much bigger problems than Thundurus is right now to warrant a ban.

Thanks for reading :). Rate/hate/steal; I don't really care, seriously. Krack used this team in the finals of the Tournament of Thieves and won. I've had people come up to me on multiple occasions using this team on the ladder reaching as high as 1500+. That speaks more to me than any of my individual success.

PoliPoliPoli (Politoed) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Toxic
- Perish Song
- Protect

Toshi (Gyarados) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Stone Edge

MAMO! (Mamoswine) (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Snow Cloak
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Frustration
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Earthquake

Paparachi (Jirachi) @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 120 SAtk / 136 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Water Pulse
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind

Tenta (Tentacruel) (M) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 20 SAtk / 44 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Protect
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin

Nurse Joy (Chansey) (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss
- Softboiled

dragonuser

The only thing I look up to is the sky
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
try a life orb on mamo, lets u change moves and the power drop isnt tht critical

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
hi toshi,

this looks like a great team. my suggestions will be minimal but it might help you out. my first suggestion is trying out frustration > stone edge on mamoswine. stone edge has minimal purpose and has such a shitty accuracy. with frustration, you're able to lure in rotom-w more efficiently and deal plenty damage. this will pave the way for gyarados to 'sweep' with one less nuissance to deal with. additionally, the luring allows you to deal with that pesky rotom-w + cb scizor combination, which looks mildly annoying to this team.

as for other options, you can try out black sludge > leftovers on tentacruel for the extra 6% damage to whoever tricks it. overall, gl! this is a really solid team an the mamoswine is such a nice touch! luvisced.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Great team, toshimelonhead, and congrats to your success!

One thing you can try is Encore on Politoed to shut down set-up Sweepers or BP Chains that would naturally view Politoed as set-up bait.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
hey man!

Yeah this is a really solid team. FerroCent cores look a bitch to break when combined with something that phases or beats Jirachi but you can always play around this. Agreeing that in this case Black Sludge is prolly a better option than Leftovers. With Protect on Tentacruel, losing Black Sludge is not a HUGE loss as you can stall around with Protect and such like.

Again, not much to say here as it really is a solid team. Well Done

Hey there. This is a really solid team so good job :]

However, a major weakness to your team is an SD Toxicroak, who can outspeed and KO every member of your team (Gyarados takes a minimum of 78% from Toxicroak's +2 Sucker Punch, so if you take even a small amount of prior damage / Stealth Rock damage if you do not have time to Rapid Spin, Gyarados will die). To fix this I suggest that you run Psyshock over Thunder on Jirachi, and also take 28 EVs out of Special Attack and put them into speed in order to outrun Toxicroak. Psyshock also lets Jirachi defeat all non-Roar variants of CM Latias, lets it have a much easier time defeating Blissey, Chansey and CM Reuniclus, and also allows it to destroy Gastrodon. Overall, you do not lose that much coverage, as pokemon like Politoed are still hit pretty hard, whereas Tentacruel is destroyed even more easily.

Again, nice team. Hope I helped, and good luck :]

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm actually curious as to how you deal with Rotom-W | Scizor switcher teams. The only safe switch-in for Rotom-W is Chansey, who risks getting Tricked. Even the non-choiced Rotom-W can Pain Split health from Chansey on the switch, and then Volt Switch out.

I feel like Gyarados nets a lot of suprise kills on Rotom-W to ease this problem, but maybe not :x

Your team also seems weak to that same Rain Jirachi.

You may perhaps want to try out SpecsGastrodon > CB Mamoswine. Under Rain, and especially with Storm Drain boosts, it hits like a truck. You still retain the Ground + Ice offense, although not as dominant. Most of all, though, it hard counters Rain Jirachi and can put a stop on switcher teams by failing Rotom-W's Volt Switches. It doesn't mind being Tricked either, since it was already choiced to begin with.

Scald / Surf | Ice Beam | Earth Power | Hidden Power [Grass] @ Choice Specs
144 HP | 252 SAtk | 112 SDef | Modest

Yea, a lot less HP than what is recommended on Smogon Dex, but those SDef EVs actually lets it take special attacks quite decently, whereas max HP made it take both physical and special attacks crappily.

I prefer Scald, because it's a great parting gift to those Water resists that switches in. However, Surf is noticeably more powerful. EPower does >40% to Ferrothorn, so it can't take hits forever.

Also seconding ShakeItUp's suggestion of Psyshock > Thunder if you remove Mamoswine for Specs Gastrodon. You don't want half of your team's firepower absorbed by one Gastrodon. Plus, with Mamoswine out, you would have a harder time against CM Latias, for which Psyshock provides a solid answer.

since this is a really solid team, i'll just nitpick

try running superpower > stone edge on mamoswine; it'll help you against random ballooners and it's perfectly legal with icicle spear

secondly, try running perish song > refresh on politoed; i know you said that perish song isn't THAT good, but i think that refresh really serves no purpose - if you don't want to do this, then you could consider rest > refresh.

I'm actually curious as to how you deal with Rotom-W | Scizor switcher teams. The only safe switch-in for Rotom-W is Chansey, who risks getting Tricked. Even the non-choiced Rotom-W can Pain Split health from Chansey on the switch, and then Volt Switch out.

I feel like Gyarados nets a lot of suprise kills on Rotom-W to ease this problem, but maybe not :x
Haha, yeah, I was thinking about that too. Tentacruel can probably break the cycle though, as Rotom-W doesn't come close to KO'ing with Volt Switch. It can Protect on the Landorus switch-in if it is an all out switcher team as well, scout it's move, and since they are all scarfed on switcher teams it wouldn't bethat hard to play around. Now if Rotom-W ran Thunder in addition to Volt Switch, then there would be some problems.

as for other options, you can try out black sludge > leftovers on tentacruel for the extra 6% healing in tandem with rain dish + protect. tentacruel looks like such a crucial member on your team, so the extra health is definitely beneficial. overall, gl! this is a really solid team an the mamoswine is such a nice touch! luvisced.
Um, black sludge recovers as much as leftovers for poison types, the only advantage is that trick users are a little hurt by it and could trick the sludge back to you.

As mentioned earlier, SD Toxicroak gives you hell, but Psyshock Jirachi isn't the greatest way to fix that problem because you're cutting your own longevity by using Sub, plus switching in on Life Orbed Cross Chops really hurts. To fix this, I suggest using a Jellicent. It beats Toxicroak handily by dodging Sucker Punch with the use of Will-O-Wisp, and it also gives you the edge against other stall teams by keeping your hazards safe [even against Excadrill, if you use max HP + max defense] and breaking down walls with Taunt. To make room, I'd drop Jirachi, because it's there to stall-break, but Jellicent does that as well while providing the benefits listed above.

Minor changes: Black Sludge over Leftovers on Tentacruel, it provides the same recovery but it'll make your opponent regret using Trick with Rotom-W or Latios. You can avoid it being tricked onto one of your other mons by switching Tenta back in when you think it's coming. I'm also an advocate of Life Orb Mamoswine, since its coverage is too good to be restricted by a choice item; with the hazard support and Mamo's already monstrous attack stat, the 20% power drop shouldn't be a problem. Just a few things to consider, great team and gl.

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
Thanks for the rates everyone :).

try a life orb on mamo, lets u change moves and the power drop isnt tht critical
This was one of the toughest decisions I had to make with Mamoswine. Choice Band does not net any key OHKOs, but when Excadrill has +2 or Thundurus has a Nasty Plot or Dragonite has a DD up, I need all of the power I can get. Mamo's job really isn't to sweep on this team, but to make sure when I let something set up, I have insurance that I can get rid of them. The 15 percent extra power is worth it for these situations.

this looks like a great team. my suggestions will be minimal but it might help you out. my first suggestion is trying out frustration > stone edge on mamoswine. stone edge has minimal purpose and has such a shitty accuracy.

I would agree on Stone Edge on Mamoswine. Perhaps Double-Edge might be worth trying as well? Ditto with Superpower. Thanks for the Luvdisc :D

One thing you can try is Encore on Politoed to shut down set-up Sweepers or BP Chains that would naturally view Politoed as set-up bait.
Again something definitely worth trying along with Perish Song. I tried digging through all of my logs with this team and realized how poorly it does against BP, so I will have to switch this. Refresh helps Politoed win the weather war, but BP teams are really annoying (except in major finals matches where they lose 6-0) ;).

However, a major weakness to your team is an SD Toxicroak, who can outspeed and KO every member of your team (Gyarados takes a minimum of 78% from Toxicroak's +2 Sucker Punch, so if you take even a small amount of prior damage / Stealth Rock damage if you do not have time to Rapid Spin, Gyarados will die). To fix this I suggest that you run Psyshock over Thunder on Jirachi, and also take 28 EVs out of Special Attack and put them into speed in order to outrun Toxicroak. Psyshock also lets Jirachi defeat all non-Roar variants of CM Latias, lets it have a much easier time defeating Blissey, Chansey and CM Reuniclus, and also allows it to destroy Gastrodon. Overall, you do not lose that much coverage, as pokemon like Politoed are still hit pretty hard, whereas Tentacruel is destroyed even more easily.
Agreed, Toxicroak is a major problem. Scarf Gyarados helps a little bit, but since everyone knows that I run that, I can't get that surprise kill anymore. I will test this out and tell you how it works out. Thanks :)

You may perhaps want to try out SpecsGastrodon > CB Mamoswine. Under Rain, and especially with Storm Drain boosts, it hits like a truck. You still retain the Ground + Ice offense, although not as dominant. Most of all, though, it hard counters Rain Jirachi and can put a stop on switcher teams by failing Rotom-W's Volt Switches. It doesn't mind being Tricked either, since it was already choiced to begin with.

Scald / Surf | Ice Beam | Earth Power | Hidden Power [Grass] @ Choice Specs
144 HP | 252 SAtk | 112 SDef | Modest
This will definitely be worth testing. Thanks :). Protect really helps against Rotom-W/Scizor/Landorus U-Turn teams, but that isn't a permanent solution. Tentacruel again is my best bet for stopping the switch. Scald + Protect helps neutralize Scizor, but Rotom-W is a problem since Mamoswine and Chansey aren't worth switching in.

As for Black Sludge > Leftovers, I find this more aesthetic than anything but again worth switching. The Tentacruel that I have in my box has Black Sludge so I can definitely run either one.

As mentioned earlier, SD Toxicroak gives you hell, but Psyshock Jirachi isn't the greatest way to fix that problem because you're cutting your own longevity by using Sub, plus switching in on Life Orbed Cross Chops really hurts. To fix this, I suggest using a Jellicent. It beats Toxicroak handily by dodging Sucker Punch with the use of Will-O-Wisp, and it also gives you the edge against other stall teams by keeping your hazards safe [even against Excadrill, if you use max HP + max defense] and breaking down walls with Taunt. To make room, I'd drop Jirachi, because it's there to stall-break, but Jellicent does that as well while providing the benefits listed above.
This is possible, but I think Jirachi brings more to the team because Tentacruel and Jellicent cover many of the same threats outside of Toxicroak. Psyshock is worth trying first before a complete change is necessary. Spin blocking does not seem to be all that critical since I don't have Spikes.

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
Superb team Toshi.All I can suggest is Black Sludge over leftys on Tenta.Maybe max spe on Rachi with Timid? Good job!

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
This is a pretty cool / unique team. My only suggestion is changing the item choice on Mamoswine. For the love of coriander, the ability to switch moves with Mamo is super important its really, really easy to play around Choice Band Mamo, whereas LO sets are almost impossible to dance around. Your team does a good job at weakening standard teams, and Mamo can easily clean up lategame. If you're worried about missing the guaranteed OHKO on Thundurus after, your team has no problem dealing with Thundurus with smart play. Also seconding using Stone Edge > Frustration, since they both serve the exact same purpose but Frustration has infinitely more accuracy and is actually stronger too.

Toxicroak is a bitch too, you can't do much but hope rocks are off + revenging with Gyara or Jirachi. You can run a Jolly nature on Mamoswine to outspeed most Toxicroaks, but that drop in power might cost you some games. Anyway its up to you, good luck with the team.

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hey toshi,

Love the team, it's unique and uses Gyarados + Mamoswine which imo is a very potent offensive combinatino. The first thing I suggest is definitely going for LO on Mamoswine. You say that Mamoswine doesn't need LO to function but LO makes it almost impossible for defensive teams to work around Mamoswine. Besides, the ability to switch moves lessens the need for prediction. For example, standard Rotom-W is outsped and 2HKOed by Icicle Crash + Frustration but if you're using CB you're either forced to predict or switch out.

Yeah as PK said Toxicroak is a major problem for this team. Something you could try out would be to pump up Jirachi's speed to outspeed Adamant versions unless you already do, and switch out Water Pulse for Psyshock. Psyshock is generally more consistent and easily OHKOs Toxicroak. Although you are at a disadvantage against stuff like Gliscor and Hippowdon without Water Pulse, the rest of your team deals with them so well that it's not really a problem.

I'd actually prefer for Politoed to be slower than Skarmory since you can Scald it after it Roosts, putting more pressure on it, but it's up to preference I guess. Congrats on the team, great job!

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
After testing, I have made the following changes:

Perish Song over Refresh on Politoed to beat BP.
Psyshock over Thunder to beat Toxicroak (EVs are updated, as well)

When Thundurus gets banned, I'll switch Mamoswine's item. Choice Band is necessary to get that OHKO.

i highly recommend not switching to Black Sludge on tenta

all that getting BS tricked will accomplish is 1-2 turns of damage on the tricker, and it being tricked back to one of the pokes on your team that most definitely do not want the BS (i shouldnt have to mention chansey, should i?)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)