Gen 2 1.2.2.3.4 (My Take on Thief Stall)

See https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/gsc-ou-team-classification-system.3668505/ for team name shorthand explanation.

I’m going to share some teams I’ve made with anti-meta ideas. These days offense is the rage and using offensive pressure in combination with spikes. Zapdos, Gengar, Nidoking being the primary players in this idea. It’s really good, but I’m going to explore some other ideas and other mons that I’ve used.

This team is probably something along the lines of “thief stall”. My idea was to use Exeggutor in a stall team, because it has very useful typing and can target Zapdos, which can often find itself in good position to break through stall. Using thief in the team, in combination with spikes, was in my opinion the best way to use this archetype. Here’s the 6 that I went with. Lead can be any of the first 3 mons.

:gs/snorlax:
Snorlax – Double-Edge , Flamethrower , Sleep Talk , Rest

This Lax set basically is the MVP of this team, and dictate’s the team’s core style of play. Early game it can take sleep, and throughout the game can threaten with Sleep Talk Double Edge, while Flamethrower breaks through steels. This is essential because the teams core strategy, of wearing opponents down with a combination of spikes, and thief, will not work on the spikes immune Skarm. A different iteration of this team was even more centered on Snorlax, specifically the ToxicLax set, which I used in combination with Sleep Talk Raikou, and phazer Skarm. However, that team got steamrolled by a well-played Nidoking, and hence I think this version of the team is more sound.

:gs/raikou:
Raikou – Thunderbolt , Reflect , Roar , Rest

Roar Raikou is a natural choice on a team looking to accumulate spikes damage, and was the legendary electric I chose over Zapdos. It has exceptionally good defensive synergy with Skarmory. Thunderbolt gives reliable damage. I chose the Reflect variant, because it really helps against physical sweepers, including Machamp, or even Snorlax in a pinch. Not much to say, Raikou is an S rank mon, and this team gives him a good environment to succeed in its role.

:gs/exeggutor:
Exeggutor – Sleep Powder , Thief , Psychic , Explosion

With a flamethrower version of Snorlax being able to take out Lax, I need a mon to be able to target and eliminate Zapdos. This set is great at doing that. An early game thief will usually hit Zapdos, which can be ideal, and gives you a big advantage for longer games. Sleep powder can put something to sleep, and psychic dishes out useful damage, and can get crucial drops. Having multiple booms on this team is also extremely useful and can be used either to remove the aforementioned Zapdos, or deal with Lax, Vaporeon, or another threat.

:gs/skarmory:
Skarmory – Thief , Drill Peck , Curse , Rest

Skarmory pairs well with the aforementioned Raikou, and has access to the move thief. Thief’s most common targets end up usually being either Snorlax, Zapdos, or the occasional Raikou. The first two are absolutely excellent targets for this team. Wanted to keep the ability to deal decent damage with Drill peck, while retaining the ability to win vs last mon lax, or even sweep itself in rare circumstances, so the curse, drill peck set made the most sense over a whirlwind variant. My next mon can serve as a requisite emergency normal resisting phazer.

:gs/golem:
Golem – Earthquake , Rapid Spin , Roar , Explosion

Spin baby spin. Rock + Skarm is an excellent defensive combination to confront Lax with, and Golem fits the bill on this team great. In addition, it pairs well with Cloyster to win the spikes game. Over time, you’re looking to chip down opposing Cloyster with Earthquake, spikes damage, and toxic. Explosion is a great move for both offensive and defensive purposes. Carrying 3 exploders on what otherwise would seem a pretty defensive team, is huge.

:gs/cloyster:
Cloyster – Spikes , Surf , Toxic , Explosion

The best spiker in the game, hands down, and one of the best pokemon, period. Toxic Cloyster with Golem looks to win the long game in the spikes war, by toxicing opposing Cloyster and Starmie, or surfing down Gengar and Forry. Opposing toxic, giga drain Forry can be a problem, but the best bet is to be proactive in keeping it from getting free switches, which having a fire Snorlax to double to could potentially help with. Toxic can also be great utility against a Lax with a curse boost, or for catching Zapdos on the switch, forcing it to rest, and leaving it little chances of trying to force a victory in an engagement with Raikou, especially if it’s already had leftovers stolen. Do not underestimate the offensive and defensive utility of explosion at 238 speed.

Some random ass reps I found of this team. Some of them use the alternate iteration, although the teams are conceptually similar. I might try to find some more reps, maybe not, lol.

You can boom turn 1:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen2ou-1149903423-u4yzo7tmr0ndvoowevx6uufdmq2snw4pw

Random rep:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen2ou-1158203704-88g1j5wsv816cg42eeej3oaddq2nsyvpw

ToxicLax is not as good an idea as I thought:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen2ou-1162233268-oi1jmkmcnyd4ky20mj7o5lio1y97p72pw

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: none
- Double-Edge
- Flamethrower
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Raikou @ Leftovers
- Thunderbolt
- Reflect
- Roar
- Rest

Cloyster @ Leftovers
- Spikes
- Surf
- Toxic
- Explosion

Golem @ Leftovers
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Roar
- Explosion

Skarmory
- Thief
- Drill Peck
- Curse
- Rest

Exeggutor
- Sleep Powder
- Thief
- Psychic
- Explosion

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)