ORAS LC #1 Peak- Where's Diglett?

Hey guys I just peaked on ladder, so I figured I should share my team since I found it to be really reliable:

1 Peak LC.PNG

Ponyta @ Eviolite
Ability: Flame Body
Level: 5
EVs: 76 Atk / 156 Def / 76 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Morning Sun
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flame Charge

Ponyta outspeeds almost everything in the tier due to it reaching 19 speed, so it can act as a great revenge killer vs weak mons. It also walls physical attackers great, threatening the common mienfoo with a burn, if it trys to uturn out for momentum. Even with little attack investment, the fire blitz hits hard and kills and outpseeds common grass types like ferroseed, snivy, foongus. With the prevalence of driftloon rising greatly in LC, I wanted to have a reliable way to deal with it; the acro/ sub/ willo/ recycle set of floon is completely walled by ponyta, and it can be kept safe from diglett by running flame charge and getting the speed boost.

Magnemite @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 240 SpA / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Next up, I wanted a fast pivot mon, and magnemite fit the bill. Magnemite's volt switch helps my team with momentum, and it can revenge kill mons and then switch back out. Flash cannon allows me to threaten and deal with the fairy types like the spritzees and snubull, which can wall my timburr and fletch. Also flash cannon can do a great amount of damage to drilburs that switch in and predict a electric move. Tbolt is used when i need more dmg than a volt switch can give me, and it's commonly locked in the later game. Lastly, the combined analytic ability with HP ground allows me to do serious damage to chinchous that come in hoping to volt absorb me. If the chinchou is crippled or killed off, typically my fletch becomes very dangerous.

Staryu @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 116 HP / 156 Def / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Recover

I needed a reliable rapid spinner so fletch could switch in and out freely; consequently, staryu with its 19 speed earned a spot on the squad. I got tired of playing web teams on ladder, so I created a way to stop common surskit leads reliably; no more hoping you win that 17 speed tie to stop the web setup. I love being able to volt switch with mag vs surskit leads into staryu ( hits before web lands) and being able to rapid spin freely if no ghost on their team, or ice beam/ scald on a predicted gastly or punkaboo switch to block a spin that never happened. Ice beam is able to weaken many birds and do damage to foongus. I have no heal bell on my team, so staryu is great for absorbing the predicted spore from foognus, or any other status.

Porygon @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 236 HP / 196 Def / 76 SpD
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Thunder Wave

Porygon is a hero and has such versatility. With tw and recover, it can out-stall most mons in meta that arent fighting, even an abra. Water spam was looking troublesome for my team, and besides mag I had no answer for slowpoke and sword dance corphish. As a result, pory is running tbolt instead of the common tri-attack. Tbolt also hits shell smashers and pawnard better too. Psychic is there to be able to damage gastlys, kill weak/ para-ed fightings, and hit foongus. As a side note, it's quite useful to be able to stop volt switch spam by chinchous by the ability trace.

Timburr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 116 Atk / 156 Def / 236 SpD
Careful Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Bulk Up

I needed another way to absorb status and check bulky normal types like munchlax and pory, so timburr happened. Timburr bulk up is often times a great lead vs stealth rocks users, it provides a win condition, and it makes timburr extremely hard to kill. In dire matchups, the timburr spread allows you to tank an acro from fletch; vs. abra, you can even knock off, eat an abra psychic, and finishwith priority mach punch. The priority mach punch is very useful vs shell smashers too.

Fletchling
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 156 HP / 196 Atk / 92 Def / 52 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- U-turn
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Fletchling is great at sweeping lategame, and this set is very standard. The main purpose of fletch, for my team, is to remove foongus for timburr and fighting types that prevent porygon from out-stalling teams. Acro hits incredibly hard and with a +2 SD sweeps almost anything that doesnt resist. Sword dances and uturns are great options, depending on your opponents team, when predicting your opponent to switch out. Furthermore, roost provides survivability and a way to combat predicted sucker punches.

Shoutout to Vubon for always helping me out along the way

Squad runs deep: http://pastebin.com/F7yKZ2eX

Thanks for looking at my team!

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Hey ShotsLikeSwish,

Your team looks pretty solid. The main issue I see is opposing Fighting-types, especially Bulk Up Timburr; it can set up on Staryu, Magnemite locked into the wrong move, or basically anything on the team with Memento support, and then cleanly sweeps if Fletchling has been even a bit weakened (such as by Stealth Rock, worth noting because Drifloon blocks Staryu from spinning and wins 1v1 since it avoids the OHKO from Ice Beam pretty handily). I also do not think that Fletchling is a good fit for this team; your team lacks the means to consistently pull off a Fletchling sweep unless you can significantly outplay (or outluck) your opponent. You mention that you have it to get rid of Foongus and Fighting-types, but these only get forced out, which doesn't really help for Foongus or Mienfoo because they just regen their health back. It doesn't help that Fletchling can't switch in on any of them - Fletchling offers very little defensive synergy for an otherwise bulky team.
I think your best bet is to embrace the semistall nature of the first five Pokemon and use Foongus over Fletchling. With three Fairy-type checks, Spritzee and Snubbull become even harder to keep alive for your opponent. Opposing Foongus will be less inclined to lead off with Spore, giving you more opportunities to get Ponyta into play against it. It also gives you a back-up check to Water spam, and of course, is able to repeatedly switch into Fighting-types where Fletchling cannot. You don't really need HP Fighting or Fire when you have Ponyta, Timburr, and hazard removal for Pawniard/Ferroseed, so Clear Smog is probably your best bet to almost completely shut down opposing Timburr.
Foongus @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 124 HP / 156 Def / 156 SpD
Bold Nature
- Clear Smog
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Spore

The main disadvantage of Foongus is that Croagunk becomes more troublesome. Ice Beam is honestly not very effective on non-LO Staryu nowadays because it fails to damage prominent Ghost-types as much as Staryu would like, so you wouldn't miss out on too much by running Psychic over Ice Beam.

That's all I have for now. Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)