SM UU 1st UU Team

Hey guys this is my first complete UU team I tried to put together, I have messed about with some others but this is the first I have built from the ground up so I have done some brief explanations and let me know what you think.

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Return
- Curse
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Latias @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Darmanitan @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Explosion
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes

Manectric-Mega @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Snorlax is pretty self explanatory, a special wall. I considered Sylveon too, but wanted to try Snorlax and given that I already have Calm Mind Suicune I thought something with a physical set might work better vs other stallers which I think has definitely been the case. I have felt it's has been pretty solid in the team so far.

Suicune is the physical wall and works well vs Swampert, Quagsire, Seismitoad since they have the ground typing too so it often beats them out. Which is needed since I am not running a grass move on this whole team and no sweeper on the team can deal with them very well. Weakness to electric is mostly off-set by having Lightning Rod Manectric available as well as Snorlax which can easily switch into most Sp.A such as Mega Manectric, but Sub-CM Raikou can cause me some problems at times.

Latias is really fast and outspeeds and OHKO's a lot of common fast threats in the tier such as mega-Aerodactyl, mega-Manectric, scarf Hydreigon and scarf Infernape that would otherwise outspeed the whole team, this team lacks any priority moves whatsoever so I opted for 100% speed here. It's also my only ground immunity which with Darmanitan and Manectric is very much needed.

Darmanitan is a similar story to Latias, I'm not sure if Infernape would be better, and also if I should change the kit to include U turn. I'm not finding much use for Stone Edge although Superpower is helpful for dealing with the likes of Blissey and other Snorlax. If I ran Infernape maybe I could go bloom-doom to deal with water/ground types and have more flexibility in the Suicune slot to try out some water/ground types. My main concern with Infernape is since it's my main physical threat I want to be able to threaten Fairy types like Sylveon which hits Infernape super hard compared to Darmanitan.

Ambipom has started making regular appearances and Forretress is doing OK vs it. It takes a Fake Out + 3 fire punches to KO, so I get 1 rocks, 1 spikes and explode. But it sucks having a suicide lead being my only hazard remover, I'm not sure how best to deal with this without being super offensive, but that kind of contradicts having rest-talk sets on Suicune and Snorlax that have otherwise been quite effective.

Manectric is proving a strong mega in the tier, and Lightning Rod threat works well with having no ground type on the team.

The biggest problem I have been facing so far is Azumarill. Since I have no priority; if Latias is weakened beforehand and I don't predict the switch correctly to kill it the turn it belly drums, it can sweep the whole of my team with no issues whatsoever.

Fire away with all the criticism, I have played 30 or so games with it but no doubt there are numerous threats I have not considered which will show up and cause me trouble.

Last edited:
My first comment would be don't counterteam against Ambipom. It's a meme, and it's going to die out pretty soon.

Having two bulky setup sweepers is a bit pointless. They both straight up win the game some of the time, but they require pretty similar conditions to do so, and they're both stopped by the same things (phazing, hazing, unaware, taunt, etc). I'd use AV or Band on Snorlax, or just replace it with a more utility based special sponge like SpDef Klefki, Alolan-Muk, Togekiss, etc. Something that can more reliably clear hazards could be useful. (I think Crocune is a lot better than Snorlax as its not walled by a whole type, hence why Im saying replace lax. If you want to replace Suicune, there's plenty of other options for defensive utility mons.)

Latias is solid, but HP fire feels redundant with a fire scarfer and overheat on manectric, and the team could use defog, as you're eaten alive by webs.

Darmanitan looks good on paper, but its a pretty bad counter to other scarfers. Its speed tier leaves it easily killed off by Hydreigon and Infernape. I'd definitely use infernape in its place, as it allows you to tweak your forretrees moveset.

As you've pointed out, the forretress is out of place here. Its not that the team isn't offensive, after all its blisteringly fast, the problem is more that you're super weak to certain kinds of hazards, and having your hazard removal die so easily isn't appealing. I'd be tempted to say keep it and replace Rocks with Volt Switch, giving Rocks to Infernape.

In the end, I think this is an attempt to build around Manectric (or at least thats how its ended up.) U-turn on Darmanitan/Infernape would help with the whole "fast-volt switch into bulky threats" approach you seem to be going for.

Nidoking @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock

A much better hazard lead. This isn't a hazard stack team, it's volt-turn into bulky threats, so we don't need spikes. This also gives us an electric-immunity post mega.

Manectric @ Manectite
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Hidden Power Ice

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

I know I said don't play around Ambipom, but people seem to love Fake Out right now. That, and its nice to just beat scarf Togekiss into the ground.

Latias @ Choice Scarf
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Trick
- Defog

This is our only hazard control now. Trick lets us harass defensive teams really nicely, giving Suicune setup opportunities.

Edit: You can tell I play too much OU when I call it Latios -_-

Scizor @ Iron Plate
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
- Bullet Punch
- Quick Attack
- U-turn
- Swords Dance

You don't need two scarfers in this metagame. You do need powerful priority and setup sweepers that don't fold to Taunt. Even against Haze, Scizor can just U-turn for more momentum, so life is good.

Heracross @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Knock Off
- Facade

KO Heracross breaks walls better than Snorlax, and can spam KO when ghosts exist. EZ games. I haven't bothered with SD due to Scizor, but you could replace Megahorn if you wanted, as Normal/Fighting is perfectly good sweeping coverage.

Thank you for your feedback, it's really helpful not just for this team but to build other teams to.

I will adjust the team and see how it goes! I definitely think having a few teams will be useful to switch in and out of depending on what I am coming up against.

The main reason for the HP fire on Latias, is that I was coming up against a lot of Scizor, and since it was such a common switch in to either Pursuit trap or U-turn on Latias (Snorlax was the only other thing it can get any value against), being able to take 70% of it's hp on the switch and threaten a 2HKO was really nice, but I see your point, simply switching into Darmanitan or Manectric on the same turn can still threaten a OHKO, and my opponent doesn't know what I am locked into or even whether I'm scarfed or banded.

I decided to build another team which I have found far more success with and climbed several hundred points! A few bits can be adjusted such as Lucario's ability (Inner Focus has been allowing me to get a second SD on Fake Out which then allows me to OHKO the likes of Gliscor) but the only Mon's causing me real hassle so far have been:

1. Nidoking/Nidoqueen, who can hit anything on the team for 2x damage with Ice, Ground, and Poison STAB (If M-alt) coverage.

2. Mega Aggron, that resists both Serperior and Latias' Sp.A STAB moves. (Could potentially run a Nasty Plot Lucario to help with this if it becomes more common).

3. Mamo has been a similar case to Nidoking/Queen, but is vulnerable to Leaf Storm at least, and Serperior can eat an Earthquake on the switch followed by an Ice Shard if it's scarfed, or Lucario can outspeed and OHKO with Close Combat if it's banded..

4. Amoonguss, but depending on the Sp.D investment, Serperior can sometimes straight up kill it with a Leaf Storm on the switch then a +2 Breakneck Blitz.

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Close Combat
- Earthquake

Serperior @ Normalium Z
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hyper Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Defog

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Pixilate
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Roost

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 204 Atk / 180 SpD / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot
- Fire Punch

Latias @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Last edited:
I like the team but change inner focus to justified because knock off is so common
I would also carry trick on lati to cripple walls

Luthier

Don’t get mad, get even.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
As the person above said, there is no real reason to really try to counter an ambipom. It should also be noted that it doesn't take three hits from ambipom's fire punch and it basically rolls over if you hit it with a fire punch on the switch into it.
  1. 252 Atk Life Orb Ambipom Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Forretress: 203-244 (57.3 - 68.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
So for me, when I look at this team, I just simply think... why? There is almost no need for two scarfers, especially when you're already running mega manectric which is like the 5th fastest mon in the tier outside of scarfers. As you mentioned previously, darmanitan is not the BEST option for you if you want to run a scarf. You would obviously be better off with infernape. Infernape has one of the best ways to deal with stupid stuff through its insane move pool, being able to run the same moves as darmanitan + close combat + gunk shot. These moves could find you some very good coverage options. Hence, I suggest that you run Nape over Darmanitan rn
Infernape @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Close Combat
- Gunk Shot

Ok, now moving on the latias. So, yes, i agree that latias is a good mon and a scarfer, but what added value does it have to the team? If I'm looking at your team right now, I look at Mega Sharpedo and I think that your team is looking hella tasty. WIth some spikes up and a bit of chip on a couple of your mons, you can either lose the match instantly, sac off one mon at a time to make sure that mega manectric can get its intimidate off, or.... you can change your lati to deal with one of the largest threats in the meta. Why don't you add coballion to your team instead?
Cobalion @ Fightinium Z / Steelium Z/ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

I think this mon is able to deal with the opposing threats of "ambipom" and also create a better way to use rocks while also dealing fairly well with the always annoying sharpedo. In addition, it helps you deal with the scizor that the team is somewhat weak to. If you want to make it easier to deal with scizor, add Fightinium Z, but it you want longevity then you are better off using the leftovers. In the end, it's you choice but this is probably the best addition to the team.

Finally, now that we have replace the forretress on the team by giving you a way to deal with ambipom and a way to set up rocks, we now need a way to defog and also need to add a fairy type to the team or else we can just lose to dragon spam. In my opinion, togekiss would be a really neat way to deal with this. It has a good defensive bulky, being able to take hits from annoying mons and can also defog away hazards. So, you should try this set
Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
- Air Slash
- Heal Bell
- Roost
- Defog

Well that's all for me, check out my edits and see if you like them. gl!

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Return
- Curse
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Manectric-Mega @ Manectite
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
- Air Slash
- Heal Bell
- Roost
- Defog

Cobalion @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Close Combat
- Gunk Shot

Thank you for your feedback!

Clearly, the team was actually pretty bad, I have created another core which has got me to 1400+, but I will give this a try with the changes suggested and see how it gets on!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)