1stGen Fan n00b Kid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Smogon!

This is my first post and I'm new at the Pokemon metagame. I'm not good at this game and I've not played it a lot from Gen3+, but some friends of mine organized a little tournament and I decided to partecipate as an amateur...i mean, Pokemon is such a complex game and battling is so damn fun so why not give a try?

I know that some people of you absolutely don't like the idea of a 1st-Gen-Only team, because a team must not be built following a Pokemon name or how it is fancy, but cover a lot of strategies, type-covering on defense and attack. I know that i'm not going to build the strongest team i can, but... i just wanna try and see the result.
And not, I'm not a 1st Gen nostalgic fankid or other crap, I know that newer pokemon make the bigger presence in the OU tier and allow a lot of strategies, a lot of sweeping, walling, etc, so if I lose it's just my own damn fault. But I'm talking too much, this is what i built from my limited knowledge of the Pokemon metagame:

Sweepers
Dragonite
EV: Special Attack, Speed
Nature: Speed

Moves:
Draco Meteor
Flamethrower
Roost
Extremespeed

For some reason i preferred Special Attack over Attack for the Draco Meteor STAB and Flamethrower, but I'm not sure at all.
I'd use Draco Meteor with it's impressive attack as the main move, and Flamethrower for Ice enemies who want to STAB me. Extremespeed is there to try to compensate Dragonite's slow speed, and Roost to try to regain some health between turns.

Gengar

Moves
Night Shade
Dark Pulse
Pain Split
Focus Blast

The main move should be STAB Night Shade, but I'm not sure since it's super-effectiveness is very limited to Psychic and Ghost types. Dark Pulse can counter the Psychic weakness, Focus Blast should break some Normal/Rock/Dark walls, and Pain Split should be useful when my health is low, on the switch-ins and on the walls.

Starmie

Moves
Scald
Psychic
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt

Starmie has an huge attack type variety, so i would use Psychic and Scald for STABs and some trolling Burn. Thunderbolt can counter Flying and other Water Pokemon, and Ice Beam is for Dragon-Types. But i think i should replace one move for Rapid Spin, and maybe Recover

Machamp
EV: Attack, Speed

Moves
Dynamic Punch
Earthquake
Bullet Punch
Ice Punch

I like the Dynamic Punch confusion and the No Guard ability of Machamp, so i can STAB attack enemies (ever if they are resistant against fight-type) and confuse them at the same time, and then proceed for Earthquake and Ice Punch. With Bullet Punch i hope to boost Machamp's low speed

Walls
Chansey
EV: HP, Defense
Nature: Defense

Moves
Wish
Protect
Toxic
Seismic Toss

Obvious Chansey is obvious: she does her job very well. Eviolite won't make me regret Blissey's absence.

Slowbro
EV: HP, Special Defense
Nature: Special Defense

Moves
Slack Off
Toxic
Scald
Psychic

If Chansey is the Attacker's wall, Slowbro is the Special Attacker's wall, and can protect Chansey from Fight STABbers with it's STAB Psychic. Toxic will troll enemies until death while I regain health and STAB attack. Scald is also useful for enemies i can't Poison.

This team lacks a lead, so I'm thinking about replacing one of them for a ArenaTrap Dugtrio or a Taunt Aerodactyl: they both have weaknesses in defense but they can set up Stealth Rock quickly. I was also thinking for a ToxicSpikes Tentecruel or Cloyster, but toxic spikes doesn't convinces me..and neither Stealth Rock to be honest, but they are really useful.
Burn Raticate+Guts+Facade is also a good Pokemon i think, if i boost it with Speed and Attack; however it's quiet a obvious move, and if it fails i'm basically waisting one Pokemon

So what you think? I know that the team is very basic, but I'm doing that mostly for the fun of 1stGen, and I'm also a n00b in the game. Smogon is well known for the ability & knowledge of the users, i hope someone can help me

For starters, we need proper EVs and natures to do a proper rate. "Speed" doesn't really tell us anything. Second off, this should go in Gen V's thread. Third, I really hope you have the roles of your two walls mixed up, because Chansey is among the worst physical walls in the game. Take a good look at some other RMTs to get an idea of what we're looking for. LucaroarkZ(I think I spelled that wrong) just posted a great thread; use it as an example.

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Your descriptions, detail and presentation really need a lot more work. You should lurk more before posting an RMT, and read the RMT rules carefully. Check out the RMT archive to see the kind of detail we expect. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)