Metagame 1v1 Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we just lay it off with this "unban x" shit? I mean, tbf, a Giratina-O unban does sound promising, but for fuck's sake, can we just focus on the currently happening Zygarde-Complete suspect? I swear, half of the posts since the original suspect announcement have just been debates on Zekrom, and now Giratina. Now is not the time to discuss that shit. Now is the time to discuss the future of Zygod in the tier. Please, and thank you.
Agreed. Let's keep our cool and deal with one thing at a time. We'll have all the time in the world to discuss further action within 1v1 after the suspect test is done with.

Felucia

Robot Empress
is a Battle Simulator Moderator
I personally don't view Zygarde-Complete as something even worthy of a suspect test, let alone an outright ban, which is why I won't be discussing the mon itself unless I absolutely have to.

However, it has come to my attention that a lot of people are leaning ban for the reasoning of Zygarde having "limited counters".
1. Gyarados-Mega - Taunt. 50/50 if Zygarde is faster.
2. Kyurem-Black
3. Metagross-Mega -
Meteor Mash first so you don't trigger Power Construct then Ice Punch to KO. Z-Arrows cannot OHKO unless no bulk Metagross.
4. Tapu Koko - Fairium is not just a meme.
5. Tapu Lele
6. Dragonite
7. Magearna -
Blame UOP for making Shuca Berry exist, and blame Landon for making bulky Fairium exist.
8. Mimikyu - Still beats anything slower, as always.
9. Pinsir-Mega - Requires Return and a little bit of finessing, but is in Pinsir's favor.
10. Landorus-Therian - Also requires finessing, but should be a win as long as you don't activate Power Construct and save your Z-move for the KO.
11. Magnezone - 252+ SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Hidden Power Ice vs. 240 HP / 84 SpD Zygarde: 412-488 (98.8 - 117%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
12. Porygon-Z - 252+ SpA Porygon-Z Ice Beam vs. 240 HP / 84 SpD Zygarde: 424-500 (101.6 - 119.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
13. Slowbro-Mega - Wins the PP stall wars without even needing Rest.
14. Venusaur-Mega - The fact that Rest lasts for a guaranteed number of turns makes Zygarde an easy target to get rolled to death by Sleep Powder.
15. Altaria-Mega
16. Garchomp
17. Genesect
18. Greninja
19. Meloetta
20. Naganadel
21. Primarina -
Specs
22. Tapu Fini
23. Blastoise-Mega
24. Chansey -
Unless you're SubCoil, Charm and Counter will outlast almost all of your PP.
25. Ferrothorn - Doesn't win the PP stall war, but DOES regain just as much HP as it loses from using Struggle, thanks to Leech Seed.
26. Gardevoir-Mega
27. Jumpluff -
The Sleep rolls are all over the place in this matchup, but you eventually will run out of Rest.
28. Blissey - Same deal as Chansey
29. Buzzwole - It's only a matter of time before he lands the lethal crit, not to mention Taunt/Ice Punch just ruin your day.
30. Diancie - (Not Mega) Regular tanks a Z-Arrows and OHKO's back with Z-Moonblast.
31. Gengar-Mega - Same HypnoHex strats as always.
32. Latios
33. Mew -
Nasty Plot Genesis OR Kee Berry Taunt.
34. Pheromosa - Specially offensive specifically.
35. Togekiss - People insist that Fairium is a thing.
36. Avalugg - Curses, foiled again!
37. Landorus-Incarnate - HP Ice
38. Medicham-Mega - Ice Punch just plain kills after Fake Out.
39. Volcarona - Bulks to tank Z-Arrows + Espeed and OHKO's with Z-Buzz after using Quiver Dance.
40. Whimsicott - Moonblast is a mean move, but a move to be feared nonetheless.
41. Blacephalon - Specs HP Ice.
42. Keldeo - CM Z-Move.
43. Kommo-o - Outspeeds and OHKO's with Clangorous Soulblaze.
44. Latias-Mega - [insert Meteor here]
45. Ninetales-Alola
46. Pidgeot-Mega -
Blame Fertile Crescent for making Feather Dance mainstream.
47. Abomasnow-Mega
48. Pyukumuku -
Taunt
49. Necrozma - 252+ SpA Choice Specs Necrozma Prismatic Laser vs. 240 HP / 84 SpD Zygarde: 405-477 (97.1 - 114.3%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
50. Porygon2 - Ice Beam.
51. Scizor-Mega - Gets Curse now, and has a LOT more PP with Bullet Punch and Bug Bite.
52. Slaking - 252 Atk Choice Band Slaking Ice Punch vs. 240 HP / 128+ Def Zygarde: 400-472 (95.9 - 113.1%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
53. Smeargle - Sleep rolls as always, but Smeargle is still faster so-
54. Vivillon

54/108 mons in the current VR beat/can beat Zygarde-Complete.
This includes:
2/2 S ranks
12/20 A ranks
22/41 B ranks
and so on.

This isn't like Kyurem-Black where you have to think about which mon beats which set, since Zygarde-Complete realistically only has 1/2 good sets.

So I put the question in your hands: Is it enough that about half the metagame can directly beat Zygarde-Complete while Zygarde manages to take on the other half?
Interestingly, a lot of these sets are ones you'd run anyway to beat KyuB. Like that Volcarona you're seeing. Not only are the counters plentiful, they're also mostly viable simply because they can check KyuB.

[15:09] (anonymous user) : zekrom would be less of a problem than zygarde-c

this statement is hurting my brain and evidently some people still don't seem to understand how stupid zekrom would be for 1v1.

since i had been called out multiple times about my team im just taking down the section about counters

anyway this team is imo extremely strong and stuff, with refining could be made into something extremely scary that I don't have the time to find out

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 128 SpA / 128 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Outrage
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Iron Head

Zekrom @ Electrium Z
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Bolt Strike
- Hone Claws
- Substitute

barn (Charizard) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 SpD
Impish Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Substitute
- Outrage
- Flame Charge

now please stop saying that zekrom would be healthy. This team shows exactly how UNhealthy zekrom would be for the meta, as this team is extremely centralizing as I see it, and this team only took me about 5 minutes to think off, and about 30 minutes more to refine. Who knows what practically unbeatable teams will come out once 1v1 gets their hands on it.

heres the second part: zygod isn't as broken as you thought.

as mentioned earlier in Glyx's post, it loses to half of the generally thought "viable" mons in the current meta game. It's counters are far from few, and it's not hard to incorporate one, considering one of them is literally 15% usage, and the most used mon, kyurem-black. It brings more diversity to the metagame, with an entirely new concept to think about, which is the ability power construct, which essentially doubles your HP when you get below half. If kyub isn't broken, this mon for sure isn't. The main argument against Kyub was that it was "too diverse and could run a set to beat almost any one of its counters, making its counters essentially undefinable." With zygod, that's not the case at all whatsoever. Its counters are very defined, as it really hasn't been adapted to beat its counter, as it can't really. The closest I have seen for zygod beating Kyub is a specially bulky zygod, which tanks an un-invested ice beam and maybe kos back with dragon z. The problem: its extremely unreliable, and loses to basically any invested ice beam, or icium z kyub, or literally almost any physical attackers. it trades that defensive tankiness for being a kyub bait. It's an actually awful set, trust me. I tested it for quite a while on ladder.

Last edited:
[15:09] (anonymous user) : zekrom would be less of a problem than zygarde-c

this statement is hurting my brain and evidently some people still don't seem to understand how stupid zekrom would be for 1v1.

I made this team the other day, and challenged people to come up with counters. So far, there are 3 sets, two of which are completely invaluable for anything else, except beating this team. The two mons are a timid, somewhat bulky tapu lele, and REFLECT TERRAKION (thanks UOP, you legitimately made me laugh when you showed me this. The other mon is type null. One mew set that Glyx made happens to have a less than 50% chance of winning, but I don't exactly feel that it should be counted, but I'll mention it.

Now I challenge you to come up with a counter. Once you have, please come to me on showdown, or PM me on smogon, and we can test it if it needs testing. (Note: Crustle and rhyperior don't beat this team, Motogp already tried, along with the attempted scarf latios.)

EVs: 252 Atk / 128 SpA / 128 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Outrage
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Iron Head

Zekrom @ Electrium Z
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Bolt Strike
- Hone Claws
- Substitute

barn (Charizard) @ Charizardite X
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 140 SpD
Impish Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Substitute
- Outrage
- Flame Charge

now please stop saying that zekrom would be healthy. This team shows exactly how UNhealthy zekrom would be for the meta, as this team is extremely centralizing as I see it, and this team only took me about 5 minutes to think off, and about 30 minutes more to refine. Who knows what unbeatable 3 will come out once 1v1 gets their hands on it.

heres the second part: zygod isn't as broken as you thought.

as mentioned earlier in Glyx's post, it loses to half of the generally thought "viable" mons in the current meta game. It's counters are far from few, and it's not hard to incorporate one, considering one of them is literally 15% usage, and the most used mon, kyurem-black. It brings more diversity to the metagame, with an entirely new concept to think about, which is the ability power construct, which essentially doubles your HP when you get below half. If kyub isn't broken, this mon for sure isn't. The main argument against Kyub was that it was "too diverse and could run a set to beat almost any one of its counters, making its counters essentially undefinable." With zygod, that's not the case at all whatsoever. Its counters are very defined, as it really hasn't been adapted to beat its counter, as it can't really. The closest I have seen for zygod beating Kyub is a specially bulky zygod, which tanks an un-invested ice beam and maybe kos back with dragon z. The problem: its extremely unreliable, and loses to basically any invested ice beam, or icium z kyub, or literally almost any physical attackers. it trades that defensive tankiness for being a kyub bait. It's an actually awful set, trust me. I tested it for quite a while on ladder.
It took me about 5 seconds to come up with a counter (obviously not including the time spent verifying the calcs). Outspeeds all three mons, guaranteed OHKO against all three, and it doesn't even need a second attack, but if you did give it four attacks it would certainly be viable for more than just countering your team.

EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Outrage

well
252 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Outrage vs. 252 HP / 116+ Def Charizard: 234-276 (65 - 76.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
you mostly win
because
you sub
then mega
outrage
ko
good try though

HAIL BARN
Fine, I'll put a little effort into it.

EVs: 252 Atk / 124 Def / 132 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage

Still beats Kyurem and Zekrom, still beats Charizard if it mega evolves right away, and has a 78.5% chance of beating Charizard if it attempts to sub turn 1 without mega evolving (69% of the time Charizard won't have enough HP left to set a sub, and if it does, it only has a 69% chance to OHKO Kyurem with Outrage).

charizard8888

Catch The Wave
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Ay a Break the Team session!
That's a pretty powerful team

Aggron-Mega @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Atk / 40 Def
IVs: 0 SpD
Naughty Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Head Smash
- Curse
- Rest

Source: MaceMaster

The dankmon Mega Aggron gets them!

Zard X
0 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 40 Def Aggron: 123-145 (35.8 - 42.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
216+ Atk Aggron Head Smash vs. 248 HP / 200+ Def Charizard-Mega-X: 326-386 (90.8 - 107.5%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

Zekrom
252 Atk Teravolt Zekrom Gigavolt Havoc (195 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Aggron-Mega: 169-199 (49.2 - 58%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Teravolt Zekrom Bolt Strike vs. +1 248 HP / 0 Def Aggron-Mega: 76-90 (22.1 - 26.2%) -- 6.9% chance to 4HKO
Use Curse once and then Rest if they've used the Z-Move | Wake up the Curse
252 Atk Teravolt Zekrom Bolt Strike vs. +2 248 HP / 0 Def Aggron-Mega: 57-67 (16.6 - 19.5%) -- possible 6HKO
Hit with Head Smash when you get to +3
+3 246+ Atk Aggron-Mega Head Smash vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Zekrom: 402-474 (117.5 - 138.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
If they use Sub, Curse to +4 then Heavy Slam can break the Sub
+4 246+ Atk Aggron-Mega Heavy Slam (40 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Zekrom: 97-114 (28.3 - 33.3%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO

Kyurem-B
128 SpA Teravolt Kyurem-Black Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 0- SpD Aggron-Mega: 270-318 (78.7 - 92.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Kyurem-B's HP: 391
Mega Aggron's HP: 343
78% of 343 = 267
Metal Burst = 267 X 1.5 = 400

Porygon-Z @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Beam
- Uproar
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam / Hidden Power [Fire]

Source: Don't know but from Gen 6 (Or earlier?) I think

The MVP gets says just one word! (Actually two)
Hyper Beam!
252+ SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Hyper Beam vs. 252 HP / 140 SpD Charizard-Mega-X: 362-426 (100.5 - 118.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Hyper Beam vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Kyurem-Black: 450-530 (115 - 135.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Hyper Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Zekrom: 370-436 (108.1 - 127.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 76 Atk / 84 Def / 100 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Rock Tomb
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Low Kick

Source: http://1v1.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Mega_Tyranitar

Not a fan of Mega Tyranitar but it gets the job done

Kyurem-B
252 Atk Teravolt Zekrom Gigavolt Havoc (195 BP) vs. 252 HP / 84 Def Tyranitar-Mega: 235-277 (58.1 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
76+ Atk Tyranitar-Mega Rock Tomb vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Zekrom: 99-117 (28.9 - 34.2%) -- 99.5% chance to 3HKO after sandstorm damage
76+ Atk Tyranitar-Mega Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Zekrom: 220-260 (64.3 - 76%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage
+1 252 Atk Teravolt Zekrom Gigavolt Havoc (195 BP) vs. 252 HP / 84 Def Tyranitar-Mega: 351-414 (86.8 - 102.4%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

Zekrom
252 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Outrage vs. 252 HP / 84 Def Tyranitar-Mega: 159-187 (39.3 - 46.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
76+ Atk Tyranitar-Mega Rock Tomb vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-Black: 230-272 (58.8 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage

Zard X
0 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Outrage vs. 252 HP / 84 Def Tyranitar-Mega: 139-165 (34.4 - 40.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
76+ Atk Tyranitar-Mega Rock Tomb vs. 248 HP / 200+ Def Charizard-Mega-X: 162-192 (45.1 - 53.4%) -- 86.3% chance to 2HKO after sandstorm damage

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Bulldoze
- Giga Impact
- Return

Ability: Pixilate
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Frustration
- Cotton Guard
- Roost

Source: http://pokepast.es/b6f9fcd60026748c

I don't use this mon and really don't like facing it so I don't bother much about it

Zard X
0 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Flare Blitz vs. 80 HP / 0 Def Altaria-Mega: 97-114 (31.1 - 36.6%) -- 72.2% chance to 3HKO
0 Atk Charizard Flare Blitz vs. 80 HP / 0 Def Altaria-Mega: 51-61 (16.3 - 19.6%) -- possible 6HKO

Kyurem-B
128 SpA Teravolt Kyurem-Black Ice Beam vs. 80 HP / 0 SpD Altaria-Mega: 242-288 (77.8 - 92.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Pixilate Altaria-Mega Giga Impact vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-Black: 524-618 (134 - 158%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Zekrom
252 Atk Teravolt Zekrom Gigavolt Havoc (195 BP) vs. 80 HP / 0 Def Altaria-Mega: 163-192 (52.4 - 61.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 Atk Teravolt Zekrom Gigavolt Havoc (195 BP) vs. 80 HP / 0 Def Altaria-Mega: 244-288 (78.4 - 92.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Pixilate Altaria-Mega Giga Impact vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Zekrom: 446-528 (130.4 - 154.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Altaria-Mega Bulldoze vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Zekrom: 102-120 (29.8 - 35%) -- 15.1% chance to 3HKO

Both Bulldoze and Dragon Dance can win

Bonus!

Heracross-Mega @ Heracronite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 248 HP / 108 Def / 152 SpD
Impish Nature
- Pin Missile
- Low Kick
- Bullet Seed
- Counter

http://1v1.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Mega_Heracross

The Stormbringer can wreck em too!
Didn't include in the mains list because the Zard X and Zekrom matchup is a 50/50 with Attack or Sub on Counter.

Zard X
0 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 108+ Def Heracross-Mega: 308-366 (84.8 - 100.8%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
Counter! or
0 Atk Heracross-Mega Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 248 HP / 200+ Def Charizard-Mega-X: 220-270 (61.2 - 75.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Zekrom
252 Atk Teravolt Zekrom Gigavolt Havoc (195 BP) vs. 248 HP / 108+ Def Heracross-Mega: 259-306 (71.3 - 84.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Counter! or
0 Atk Heracross-Mega Pin Missile (5 hits) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Zekrom: 200-240 (58.4 - 70.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Kyurem-B
252 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Outrage vs. 248 HP / 108+ Def Heracross-Mega: 177-208 (48.7 - 57.3%) -- 93.4% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Subzero Slammer (200 BP) vs. 248 HP / 108+ Def Heracross-Mega: 294-346 (80.9 - 95.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Teravolt Kyurem-Black Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 152 SpD Heracross-Mega: 127-151 (34.9 - 41.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

0 Atk Heracross-Mega Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-Black: 444-524 (113.5 - 134%) -- guaranteed OHKO
gg

Last edited:

Tol

Retirement house
don't quite understand what you mean, but I was just trying to show people how centralizing unbanning zekrom would be (it would be a huge mistake, and there is probably a reason it hasn't been done).
I completely agree with you, a monotype team that almost nothing can break is something that shouldn't be happening, Zek just takes overcentralization to the next level.

DEG

The night belongs to you
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I would like this thread to solely focus on Zygarde-Complete from now on, do not bring Zekrom into this, nor any other Uber Pokemon. We have no interest in bringing down any more Ubers and would like to ban instead of unbanning. The metagame is already filled with a lot of Pokemon that can capitalize easily and we should stop addding to that. I do have an opinion on that but I don't want to interrupt the suspect test discussion, I will come back later and write about what I feel.

So this post isn't about Zygarde-Complete but please don't remove it anyway.

After losing to Xstatic in classic I realized that there was only one way to come back and try to reclaim my spot as the most lit new 1v1 player alive. And that of course would be to compile the most fire team building tool ever known to the human race. I've actually been planning to do this since before winter break but school (and anime) have been keeping me from starting.

Now you may be wondering, "BSU, what is this new thing going to be?" Well I don't really have that figured out yet. In the end I would like to have some sort of program that you can enter your team into and it will say what it loses to. For now though (since I know nothing about programming or making any sort of website) I'm going to do calculations for every Pokemon I have in my set comp against every other one (121771 calculations to be exact). After this I'll just have to find a way to put the data all into one place.

This brings us to the real reason I'm posting this here, I need help. 121771 is, pardon my French, a shit ton of calcs to do and I would rather not spend 4-5 months doing this as the number will only rise as I gather more sets. So if you're willing to contribute at all either message me @BlondeSasukeUchiha#5328 on discord or hit me up on showdown whenever I'm on. Thanks for reading all the way through!
(Please don't remove my post DEG)

Last minute thing https://pokepast.es/52ad3ad1c61d116d
Thats all the sets I'll be using, I make a new comp every time I get 30 or so sets. I understand some are memes but don't all memes deserve our love.

One last edit, if you have any more sets for me that I should include hit me up

I lied in that last line, Yung Dramps told me to make a discord sever for this so, https://discord.gg/sAHvgnp

Last edited:

Chickenpie2

red:active
is a Contributor Alumnus
Sorry for one liner, but zard ur aggron doesnt have metal burst so it cant beat kyube that way. Also for the m-tyranitar statements u swapped the kyube and zekrom calcs.
Also freddy, i feel that just showing a team that supposedly has no one single counter is not a very strong argument for showing how strong a pokemon is, because 1v1 isnt just ‘ooh my mon counters all 3 of their mons so imma click this one’. The whole point of 1v1 is to have a team with different mons covering different threats so even if it was true that no single pokemon beats ur whole team, its a meaningless statement.
#freezygod

Sroken

Banned deucer.
I am here to explain why I voted no ban on Zygarde-C in the suspect test.

So, I did not come across zygarde-C very much on the ladder, however when I did there were 2 factors which affected its success that I noticed. Namely, that Zygarde-C is quite weak in terms of how hard it can hit, and that it does not gain its huge increase in bulk until after it goes below 50%. Now these are both quite obvious, however I think they are both detrimental to the success of the aforementioned mon, or lack of. Don't get me wrong I think zygarde-C is very strong, however not banworthy. Having to go below 50% before activating its ability means that pokemon with strong coverage moves can easily OHKO or play around zygarde-C by not allowing it to go full form, such as charizard-X, greninja, kyurem-black. Its weakness in attack means it can not beat pokemon such as Landorus-T or Tapu Fini either, leaving it susceptible vs them. Its low speed stat too means that it can not get the jump on pokemon such as the aforementioned Tapu Fini and 2HKO it before it defeats you. While Zygarde-C is very strong, its linear nature in terms of the sets it can run, at least from what I saw (the only set I ran into was a rest coil variant) makes it incredibly predictable as well, and thus easier to defeat in my eyes. I am not sure how everyone else feels, but this is just my personal opinion and what lead me to vote no ban on Zygarde-C. Have a good day everyone!

I am here to explain why I voted no ban on Zygarde-C in the suspect test.

So, I did not come across zygarde-C very much on the ladder, however when I did there were 2 factors which affected its success that I noticed. Namely, that Zygarde-C is quite weak in terms of how hard it can hit, and that it does not gain its huge increase in bulk until after it goes below 50%. Now these are both quite obvious, however I think they are both detrimental to the success of the aforementioned mon, or lack of. Don't get me wrong I think zygarde-C is very strong, however not banworthy. Having to go below 50% before activating its ability means that pokemon with strong coverage moves can easily OHKO or play around zygarde-C by not allowing it to go full form, such as charizard-X, greninja, kyurem-black. Its weakness in attack means it can not beat pokemon such as Landorus-T or Tapu Fini either, leaving it susceptible vs them. Its low speed stat too means that it can not get the jump on pokemon such as the aforementioned Tapu Fini and 2HKO it before it defeats you. While Zygarde-C is very strong, its linear nature in terms of the sets it can run, at least from what I saw (the only set I ran into was a rest coil variant) makes it incredibly predictable as well, and thus easier to defeat in my eyes. I am not sure how everyone else feels, but this is just my personal opinion and what lead me to vote no ban on Zygarde-C. Have a good day everyone!
Zygarde-C can beat Tapu Fini, Charizard, and Landorus-T without too much trouble. Just depends on how EVs are spread out on the Pokémon.

It’s also quite versatile. Rest and Coil are just too good to pass up. Similar to how running Charizard-X without Dragon Dance isn’t bad; it’s just usually not worth it.

I think it’s hard to believe Zygarde-Complete could be broken in a meta in which Kyurem-Black is the best Pokémon.

Sroken

Banned deucer.

I am showing today a team I would like to put forward for a sample team, I built this for the ongoing Zygarde-Complete suspect test and I wanted to showcase it as I really found it easy to use and it performed well in terms of allowing me to get reqs. The team itself functions well against a variety of threats, and was focused around utilising an underrated pokemon in my mind, that being excadrill. Excadrill is interesting because I saw absolutely no one else using it in the 150 or so games I have played on the suspect ladder, yet it is very good versus pokemon such as the omnipresent Kyurem-Black, and taking out sturdy pokemon such as Donphan and Golem through its use of magnet rise. Earthquake rounds out the coverage enabling it to hit pokemon like Mega Aggron very hard. Next I put on Tapu Fini with the choice specs item to deal with Charizard mainly, but also as another check to Kyurem-Black and more importantly, Zygarde-Complete, two very present pokemon in the metagame right now. It also has Grass Knot enabling it to defeat pokemon such as Mega Slowbro and Hidden Power [Rock] so it can defeat both mega variants of Charizard. Surf and Moonblast are simple dual stab coverage enabling Tapu Fini to combat the aforementioned threats as well as pokemon like Landorus-T, Surf being preferred to Hydro Pump due to the increased PP and accuracy. Finally we have Charizard-Mega-X which offers insurance versus a variety of bulkier pokemon thanks to its stellar attack stat coupled with Tough Claws. It also acts as another check to potentially bulkier variants of Charizard-Mega-Y which could live a Hidden Power [Rock] from Tapu Fini. This team has done very well on the ladder and I thoroughly enjoyed using it to complete reqs for the suspect test of Zygarde-Complete. I think it is easy to use as well hence why I think it would be a good sample team. Enjoy!

Excadrill @ Steelium Z
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Magnet Rise
- Iron Head
- Earthquake

Tapu Fini @ Choice Specs
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 204 HP / 244 SpA / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Grass Knot

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 172 HP / 24 Atk / 216 SpD / 96 Spe
Careful Nature
- Flame Charge
- Outrage
- Flare Blitz
- Will-O-Wisp

e: made some changes with the help of MaceMaster to help combat some of the weaknesses to pokemon such as Snorlax (Substitute over Swords Dance on Excadrill) and the addition of flame charge over dragon dance on Charizard-Mega-X, and Will-O-Wisp over Belly Drum to counteract Dragonite, as well as some EV refinement to defeat Naganadel.

Last edited:

Nalei

strong, wild garbage
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

I am showing today a team I would like to put forward for a sample team, I built this for the ongoing Zygarde-Complete suspect test and I wanted to showcase it as I really found it easy to use and it performed well in terms of allowing me to get reqs. The team itself functions well against a variety of threats, and was focused around utilising an underrated pokemon in my mind, that being excadrill. Excadrill is interesting because I saw absolutely no one else using it in the 150 or so games I have played on the suspect ladder, yet it is very good versus pokemon such as the omnipresent Kyurem-Black, and taking out sturdy pokemon such as Donphan and Golem through its use of magnet rise. It is also an effective wallbreaker versus bulkier threats such as Chansey thanks to its powerful Steelium-Z boosted Iron Head in conjunction with Swords Dance. Earthquake rounds out the coverage enabling it to hit pokemon like Mega Aggron very hard. Next I put on Tapu Fini with the choice specs item to deal with Charizard mainly, but also as another check to Kyurem-Black and more importantly, Zygarde-Complete, two very present pokemon in the metagame right now. It also has Grass Knot enabling it to defeat pokemon such as Mega Slowbro and Hidden Power [Rock] so it can defeat both mega variants of Charizard. Surf and Moonblast are simple dual stab coverage enabling Tapu Fini to combat the aforementioned threats as well as pokemon like Landorus-T, Surf being preferred to Hydro Pump due to the increased PP and accuracy. Finally we have Charizard-Mega-X which offers insurance versus a variety of bulkier pokemon thanks to the inclusion of Belly Drum on its moveset, letting it blow through would be checks such as Mega Slowbro. It also is EV'd to take an outrage from a scarf Kyurem-Black un mega evolved thus allowing it to Dragon Dance and proceed to pick up the kill. It also acts as another check to potentially bulkier variants of Charizard-Mega-Y which could live a Hidden Power [Rock] from Tapu Fini. This team has done very well on the ladder and I thoroughly enjoyed using it to complete reqs for the suspect test of Zygarde-Complete. I think it is easy to use as well hence why I think it would be a good sample team. Enjoy!

Excadrill @ Steelium Z
EVs: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Magnet Rise
- Iron Head
- Earthquake

Tapu Fini @ Choice Specs
EVs: 204 HP / 244 SpA / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Grass Knot

EVs: 128 HP / 24 Atk / 104 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Flare Blitz
- Belly Drum
That team seems okay, but I don't think it's worthy of being a sample team on account of it not having any reliable ways to deal with Flyinium Dragonite, Naganadel, opposing Tapu Fini with more speed investment, Meloetta, bulky Specs Porygon-Z, Carracosta, Band Archeops, certain Mega Lucario or Snorlax.

e: Sroken and I worked together to rework the team and got rid of the big weaknesses. Great team now n_n

Last edited:

Sroken

Banned deucer.
That team seems okay, but I don't think it's worthy of being a sample team on account of it not having any reliable ways to deal with Flyinium Dragonite, Naganadel, opposing Tapu Fini with more speed investment, Meloetta, bulky Specs Porygon-Z, Carracosta, Band Archeops, certain Mega Lucario or Snorlax.
On that list the only things I really lose to all the time which are seen commonly, are Flyinium Dragonite, Specs Naganadel and Snorlax, the other things I either do not lose to, or in the case of Carracosta, are highly uncommon or specific sets (band Archeops). And every team has a few weaknesses, no?

e: these weaknesses are all but gone now as well, once again thanks to the help of MaceMaster

Last edited:
Excadrill is interesting because I saw absolutely no one else using it in the 150 or so games I have played on the suspect ladder, yet it is very good versus pokemon such as the omnipresent Kyurem-Black, and taking out sturdy pokemon such as Donphan and Golem through its use of magnet rise. It is also an effective wallbreaker versus bulkier threats such as Chansey thanks to its powerful Steelium-Z boosted Iron Head in conjunction with Swords Dance.
I don't see the swords dance on the excadrill anymore, so this phrase doesn't make sense. I understand that you changed the team slightly, but it might be confusing to those who don't know you changed it.

e: Sroken and I worked together to rework the team and got rid of the big weaknesses. Great team now n_n
Adding Substitute over Swords Dance to Excadrill means that you now lose to Chansey and Blissey.And yeah there is still stuff like Meloetta. The fact that Charizard can't boost its attack is worrying me, I can't think of any matcups that get hindered right now but it's going to be a problem in the future.

Nalei

strong, wild garbage
Adding Substitute over Swords Dance to Excadrill means that you now lose to Chansey and Blissey.And yeah there is still stuff like Meloetta. The fact that Charizard can't boost its attack is worrying me, I can't think of any matcups that get hindered right now but it's going to be a problem in the future.
While losing to Chansey and Blissey is a problem, it's not as though Excadrill could beat them when it did have Swords Dance; Charm and SD have equal PP. Also, for Meloetta to beat Excadrill, it must use Focus Blast, and by using Substitute, Meloetta will eventually miss. Charizard doesn't need to boost its attack, and I don't know why that's ever been considered a must-have, honestly.

Jude セ

Banned deucer.
Introduction: The history of 1v1

1v1 was a meta created a while ago, sometime in the BW era. This meta has evolved a lot since then and many threats have come and gone, new players and stars of the tier have been born and most significantly the whole premise of the meta had a massive shift sometime near the end of XY as instead of bringing 1 mon there was a change implemented that meant there was a team preview page and you each bought 3 pokémon and then picked 1 for a 1v1 battle. People have divided opinions on whether this is better for the meta or not. Personally I feel it is better, but I will get into more on that later. So what is 1v1? It is effectively in the name. You pit two pokémon against each other and whichever trainer knocks out the other trainer's pokémon first wins the battle. This simple premise actually allows the meta to become incredibly complex in terms of teambuilding, even more so now that there is the ability to cover your pokémon on your team's weaknesses. The 3v3 preview aspect of 1v1 adds an extra layer of subtelty at team preview which I find is explained well in this video (credits to elo bandit) The Strategy and Psychology of 1v1: Part 2 of 3 As well as making teambuilding choices far more important and in some cases difficult to make which allows for a more diverse meta than just having 1 mon brought to games. The old form of 1v1 effectively took less skill than the new 3v3 teambuilding meta. I label it as a new meta however as old 1v1 is INCREDIBLY DIFFERENT from this new 3v3 team preview brand of 1v1, so different it can be hard to compare them, however I feel like, on balance, 3v3 team preview 1v1 is in the end better than bring one use one 1v1. This thought, and the idea that 1v1 has evolved from an effective rock paper scissors metagame, of bringing only one pokemon, to bringing 3 and picking 1, is what made me want to discuss this, as I believe that 1v1 is underappreciated and still viewed (wrongly so) as a rock paper scissors metagame, determined at team preview and a metagame based on pure luck. I believe that this is fundamentally changed with the addition of team preview, as said, and I will get into why. Along with that I will also attempt to provide a synopsis of every relevant threat in the 1v1 metagame to try and allow people to somewhat get into the metagame easier. Now, lets begin:

Section 1: The science behind 1v1 and the advent of Team Preview

Now 1v1 gets a lot of flak for being a matchup based meta involving relatively little skill, in comparison to other metagames such as OU for example, or even counterpart OMs such as BH and AAA. Now while this is in part true, that certain match ups can be determined as a win or loss at team preview, this is no different to regular tiers its just a lot less obvious in other tiers. In OU for example even at the top tier of play in tournaments such as OST there are matchups which are effectively decided at team preview, and I can think of no better example than the deciding game of OST 11 in which Blunder was effectively fucked because his opponent (WhiteQueen) bought a baton pass team which had a heavy advantage versus blunder and thus lead him to be defeated easily. While I know this is an old metagame and baton pass is banned today, there are still examples of this, however they are slipping my mind right now since I don't play OU that much and I'm tired. However this clearly shows how there are similar scenarios in standard tiers to those in 1v1, and in the metagame of 1v1 right now the amount of match ups expressly decided at team preview are less and less, as the overall playerbase and thus skill level of the top tier 1v1 players increases. There are a few reasons for this relative increase in skill, 1. being that people are adapting to take advantage of the teambuilding system more, this can be explained by comparison to rock paper scissors (now I know I am being hypocritical as I said 1v1 was not like Rock Paper Scissors, however this is in the loosest sense as there are many more variables in 1v1 than rock paper scissors, I will merely be comparing probability), now to explain what I mean, the most consistent 1v1 players build their teams in such a way that instead of being put into rock paper scissor scenarios at team preview, where one pokemon from each team beats one pokemon on the other team, they are put into a favourable position by building so that they are in 2-1 scenarios, so that two of their pokemon can beat the opposition's pokemon, E.G having a Landorus-Therian and a bulky Mega Metagross for Tapu Koko, as seen on xstatic cold's flagship team, this puts the opponent into an interesting situation as while they could pick Tapu Koko to beat the last member of the team (in this case Primarina) they would risk losing to the other two pokemon. Through playing 1000's upon 1000's of battles with this team xstatic cold has played this specific scenario countless times and sampled all the different responses from all the different level of skill players on the ladder, and drawing on this experience he is able to perform well and pick correctly time and time again, in all settings, recently winning the USM open while almost exclusively using 2-3 teams throughout the tournament. His level of experience and knowledge of sets and skill levels in 1v1 allows him to time and time again just outclass opponents, even though 1v1 is a 'hax and matchup' based metagame. This clearly shows that while teambuilding skill has increased, as I have alluded to the number 2. reason for a relative increase of skill in the 1v1 playerbase is the immense knowledge of sets and matchups possessed by top players such as Kentari, the aforementioned Xstatic Cold, UOP, Glyx, attidude to name a few, which allows them to pick correctly and win more games than other people and give them an advantage when teambuilding and playing the metagame. Now to address how hax can affect 1v1 games just as much as other 6v6 tiers: This is similar to how 1v1 is as matchup based as 6v6 in certain scenarios, I.e its just less noticeable in 1v1 than in 6v6. Time and time again people complain about losing to hax because of a random freeze in the middle of the game, a scald burn, etc, and while these scenarios are not as direct in causing losses as in 1v1 games, they still can, and do cause losses which are out of control of people's skills. There are also more noticeable instances such as with Racool in OMPL finals missing 2 Hydro Pumps in a row causing her team to lose the finals and thus the tour. Does this mean that sketchmons is a hax or matchup based metagame? (No, it doesn't) and while I know these examples of direct losses due to hax are less common in 6v6 than in 1v1, those 'indirect' losses to hax are just as common in 6v6 as they are in 1v1, and can cause many games which would have been won to be lost. Honestly I think the shocking consistency of the top 1v1 players should show to more casual 1v1 players who just take 1v1 at face value that there is more to it than just 'ROCKPAPERSCISSORS HURRDURR', let alone the reasons I just mentioned. I understand it can be infuriating to play 1v1 at teams, but it’s the same for almost every tier. And with the advent of team preview I truly believe 1v1 has become more focused on skill than hoping your opponent does not have a direct counter to the sole pokemon you picked. And while you can not cover the whole 1v1 metagame, this leads me onto my next point: the apparent inability to cover the 'whole' metagame in 1v1. When comparing 1v1 to its other metagame counterparts, such as BH specifically, the 1v1 metagame is much more centered around a few very common threats such as Kyub, Zygarde-C, etc. While this can at surface level seem bad, it means you can cover much more of the relevant metagame with 3 pokemon than ever before in 1v1, while in comparison BH has so much room for innovation, that even though the metagame is centered around a lot of fat builds and stuff, there is the same capacity for one random set to blow your whole team out of the water as there is in 1v1, thus leading me to believe that comparing these two metagames for tournaments such as OMPL in terms of their value in competitiveness, and whether 1v1 is warranted a slot in big tours such as OMGS and OMPL over any of its om 6v6 counterparts such as BH or AAA, should not be taken so lightly as I seriously believe that 1v1 is more full of skilled 1v1 players than ever before, and is the closest to a balanced and skilled metagame than it has ever been, due to the work of the community and the tier leaders in recent times, and I think it should be seriously considered for bigger tournaments such as OMGS and OMPL. For people reading this who think that they may want to try 1v1 now, there are some sets below for the more relevant pokemon (and less some relevant pokemon) going from S rank down to C rank.

Section 2: Sets for relevant pokemon in the 1v1 metagame: a beginner's guide to starting 1v1

Note: if a pokemon has more than 1 viable set I will include as many viable sets as it has

S Rank

Gyarados-Mega
Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite

EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 80 Def / 88 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Taunt

- Crunch

- Dragon Dance

- Outrage

Kyurem-Black

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe

Naive Nature

- Outrage

- Ice Beam

- Earth Power

- Fusion Bolt

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Specs

Timid Nature

- Draco Meteor

- Ice Beam

- Earth Power

- Flash Cannon

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Jolly Nature

- Outrage

- Fusion Bolt

- Iron Head

- Freeze Shock

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z

EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 200 Def / 44 SpD

Relaxed Nature

- Outrage

- Fusion Bolt

- Earth Power

- Freeze Shock

Kyurem-Black @ Haban Berry

Naughty Nature

- Outrage

- Fusion Bolt

- Flash Cannon

- Ice Beam

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Band

EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpA

Relaxed Nature

- Outrage

- Ice Beam

- Earth Power

- Fusion Bolt

Kyurem-Black @ Weakness Policy

Relaxed Nature

- Outrage

- Ice Beam

- Earth Power

- Fusion Bolt

EVs: 252 HP / 24 Def / 120 SpA / 60 SpD / 52 Spe

Modest Nature

- Focus Blast

- Earth Power

- Ice Beam

- Draco Meteor

A+ Rank

Charizard-Mega-X

Careful Nature

- Flame Charge

- Outrage

- Flare Blitz

- Belly Drum

Jolly Nature

- Will-O-Wisp

- Flare Blitz

- Outrage

- Dragon Dance

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def

Impish Nature

- Outrage

- Flare Blitz

- Dragon Dance

- Counter

EVs: 12 HP / 240 Atk / 40 Def / 216 Spe

Jolly Nature

- Belly Drum

- Flare Blitz

- Outrage

- Flame Charge

EVs: 112 HP / 36 Atk / 248 SpD / 112 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Flare Blitz

- Dragon Dance

- Outrage

- Flame Charge

Jolly Nature

- Dragon Dance

- Outrage

- Flare Blitz

- Substitute

Metagross-Mega
Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite

EVs: 252 HP / 128 Atk / 60 Def / 68 Spe

Impish Nature

- Bullet Punch

- Meteor Mash

- Earthquake

- Thunder Punch

Naive Nature

- Meteor Mash

- Magnet Rise

- Grass Knot

- Earthquake

Metagross @ Metagrossite

Ability: Clear Body

EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 Spe

Jolly Nature

- Ice Punch

- Rock Tomb

- Meteor Mash

- Magnet Rise

Mimikyu
Mimikyu @ Mimikium Z

Ability: Disguise

Jolly Nature

- Curse

- Play Rough

- Protect

- Substitute

Mimikyu @ Mimikium Z

EVs: 200 HP / 176 Atk / 92 Def / 40 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Substitute

- Play Rough

- Shadow Sneak

- Swords Dance

Tapu Koko
Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z

Ability: Electric Surge

EVs: 248 HP / 148 Def / 112 Spe

Timid Nature

- Iron Defense

- Charge

- Taunt

- Thunder

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z

Timid Nature

- Charge

- Substitute

- Taunt

- Thunder

Tapu Lele
Tapu Lele @ Psychium Z

Ability: Psychic Surge

EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA

Modest Nature

- Psychic

- Moonblast

- Calm Mind

- Reflect

A Rank

Charizard-Mega-Y

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y

Ability: Drought

EVs: 224 HP / 156 Def / 20 SpA / 108 Spe

Modest Nature

- Flame Charge

- Will-O-Wisp

- Solar Beam

- Blast Burn

Dragonite
Dragonite @ Dragonium Z

Ability: Multiscale

Adamant Nature

- Outrage

- Extreme Speed

- Fire Punch

- Dragon Dance

Dragonite @ Dragonium Z

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA

Quiet Nature

- Draco Meteor

- Fire Blast

- Surf

- Extreme Speed

Dragonite @ Flyinium Z

Adamant Nature

- Dragon Dance

- Extreme Speed

- Fly

- Earthquake

Lopunny-Mega
Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite

Ability: Scrappy

Jolly Nature

- Giga Impact

- High Jump Kick

- Ice Punch

- Fake Out

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite

Jolly Nature

- Flail

- High Jump Kick

- Substitute

- Fake Out

Magearna
Magearna @ Choice Specs

Ability: Soul-Heart

EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 228 SpA

Modest Nature

- Fleur Cannon

- Hidden Power [Fire]

- Flash Cannon

- Thunderbolt

Magearna @ Shuca Berry

EVs: 108 HP / 172 SpA / 4 SpD / 224 Spe

Modest Nature

- Fleur Cannon

- Ice Beam

- Thunderbolt

- Hidden Power [Fire]

Magearna @ Occa Berry

EVs: 252 HP / 228 SpA / 28 SpD

Modest Nature

- Thunder Wave

- Fleur Cannon

- Substitute

- Thunderbolt

Mawile-Mega
Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite

Ability: Intimidate

EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD

Sassy Nature

IVs: 0 Spe

- Swords Dance

- Play Rough

- Metal Burst

- Sucker Punch

Mawile @ Mawilite

EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def / 8 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Swords Dance

- Iron Head

- Play Rough

- Sucker Punch

A- Rank

Aegislash
Aegislash @ Ghostium Z

Ability: Stance Change

EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 4 Spe

Quiet Nature

- Shadow Ball

- Flash Cannon

- Shadow Sneak

- King's Shield

Landorus-Therian
Landorus-Therian @ Flyinium Z

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Bulk Up

- Earthquake

- Fly

- Substitute

Landorus-Therian @ Groundium Z

EVs: 100 HP / 64 Atk / 176 Def / 168 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Bulk Up

- Substitute

- Rock Tomb

- Earthquak

Magnezone
Magnezone @ Electrium Z

EVs: 80 HP / 176 SpA / 252 Spe

Modest Nature

- Zap Cannon

- Metal Sound

- Electroweb

- Mirror Coat

Magnezone @ Air Balloon

Modest Nature

- Electroweb

- Thunderbolt

- Flash Cannon

- Hidden Power [Ice]

Pinsir-Mega
Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite

Jolly Nature

- Earthquake

- Close Combat

- Giga Impact

- Quick Attack

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite

Ability: Aerilate

Jolly Nature

- Swords Dance

- Substitute

- Flail

- Quick Attack

Porygon-Z
Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z

EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe

Modest Nature

- Hyper Beam

- Conversion

- Nasty Plot

- Recover

Porygon-Z @ Choice Scarf

Modest Nature

- Hyper Beam

- Trick

- Uproar

- Hidden Power [Fire]

Snorlax
Snorlax @ Normalium Z

Ability: Thick Fat

EVs: 248 HP / 124 Atk / 136 Def

Adamant Nature

- Belly Drum

- Double-Edge

- Protect

- Yawn

Slowbro-Mega

Slowbro @ Slowbronite

Ability: Oblivious

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

Calm Nature

- Amnesia

- Iron Defense

- Slack Off

- Scald

Venusaur-Mega
Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

Bold Nature

- Sludge Bomb

- Synthesis

- Giga Drain

- Sleep Powder

Zygarde-Complete
Zygarde @ Groundium Z

Ability: Power Construct

EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 8 SpD / 28 Spe

Impish Nature

- Coil

- Rest

- Extreme Speed

- Thousand Arrows

B+ Rank

Aggron-Mega
Aggron-Mega @ Aggronite

EVs: 252 HP / 176 Atk / 80 SpD

Brave Nature

- Metal Burst

- Heavy Slam

- Head Smash

- Taunt

Blaziken
Blaziken-Mega @ Blazikenite

Ability: Speed Boost

Jolly Nature

- Thunder Punch

- Flare Blitz

- High Jump Kick

- Protect

Blaziken @ Firium Z

EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Hasty Nature

- Protect

- Blast Burn

- High Jump Kick

- Hidden Power [Ice]

Donphan
Donphan @ Groundium Z

Jolly Nature

- Earthquake

- Ice Shard

- Counter

- Rock Tomb

Donphan @ Groundium Z

Jolly Nature

- Earthquake

- Ice Shard

- Substitute

- Endeavor

Garchomp

Garchomp @ Dragonium Z / Groundium Z

Ability: Rough Skin

Jolly Nature

- Swords Dance

- Substitute

- Earthquake

- Outrage

Gardevoir-Mega
Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite

Ability: Trace

EVs: 136 HP / 252 Def / 120 SpA

Modest Nature

- Hyper Voice

- Psychic

- Hyper Beam

- Encore

EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe

Timid Nature

- Encore

- Disable

- Protect

- Hyper Voice

Genesect
Genesect @ Choice Specs

Ability: Download

EVs: 232 HP / 176 Def / 100 SpA

Modest Nature

- Bug Buzz

- Flash Cannon

- Thunderbolt

- Flamethrower

Genesect @ Choice Scarf

Modest Nature

- Ice Beam

- Bug Buzz

- Flamethrower

- Thunderbolt

Golem
Golem @ Groundium Z

Adamant Nature

- Stone Edge

- Earthquake

- Counter

- Sucker Punch

Golem @ Rockium Z

EVs: 248 HP / 216 Atk / 44 SpD

Adamant Nature

IVs: 16 Spe

- Stone Edge

- Earthquake

- Counter

- Sucker Punch

Greninja
Greninja @ Choice Specs

Ability: Protean

Modest Nature

- Ice Beam

- Hydro Cannon

- Dark Pulse

- Grass Knot

Heracross-Mega

EVs: 236 HP / 140 Atk / 52 Def / 80 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Close Combat

- Arm Thrust

- Pin Missile

- Rock Blast

Jumpluff
Jumpluff @ Wide Lens

Ability: Infiltrator

EVs: 128 Def / 128 SpD / 252 Spe

Timid Nature

- Leech Seed

- Sleep Powder

- Substitute

- Protect

Naganadel
Naganadel @ Choice Specs

Ability: Beast Boost

EVs: 56 HP / 184 SpA / 68 SpD / 200 Spe

Timid Nature

- Draco Meteor

- Sludge Wave

- Fire Blast

- Air Slash

Primarina
Primarina @ Fairium Z

Ability: Torrent

EVs: 120 HP / 252 Def / 136 SpA

Modest Nature

- Hydro Cannon

- Moonblast

- Aqua Jet

- Baby-Doll Eyes

Primarina @ Waterium Z

EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 172 SpA / 28 SpD

Quiet Nature

- Hydro Cannon

- Aqua Jet

- Moonblast

- Hidden Power [Fire]

Tapu Fini
Tapu Fini @ Waterium Z

EVs: 192 HP / 180 Def / 80 SpA / 56 Spe

Bold Nature

- Moonblast

- Hydro Pump

- Calm Mind

- Rain Dance

Tapu Fini @ Choice Specs

EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 200 SpA / 40 SpD

Bold Nature

- Shadow Ball

- Surf

- Moonblast

- Hidden Power [Fire]

B Rank

Altaria-Mega

Jolly Nature

- Dragon Dance

- Bulldoze

- Giga Impact

- Return

Calm Nature

- Confide

- Cotton Guard

- Roost

- Hyper Voice

Blastoise-Mega
Blastoise-Mega @ Blastoisinite

Ability: Mega Launcher

EVs: 60 Def / 252 SpA / 196 Spe

Modest Nature

- Fake Out

- Hydro Cannon

- Aura Sphere

- Dragon Pulse

Chansey
Chansey (F) @ Eviolite

Ability: Serene Grace

EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD

Bold Nature

- Charm

- Counter

- Soft-Boiled

- Toxic

Ferrothorn
Ferrothorn @ Steelium Z

Ability: Iron Barbs

EVs: 252 HP / 180 Atk / 76 Def

Relaxed Nature

- Gyro Ball

- Power Whip

- Protect

- Leech Seed

Heatran
Heatran @ Air Balloon

Ability: Flash Fire

EVs: 180 Def / 208 SpA / 120 Spe

Rash Nature

- Overheat

- Rock Tomb

- Earth Power

- Flash Cannon

Jirachi
Jirachi @ Choice Scarf

Jolly Nature

- Heart Stamp

- Iron Head

- Fire Punch

- Trick

Kartana
Kartana @ Grassium Z

Jolly Nature

- Substitute

- Swords Dance

- Smart Strike

- Leaf Blade

Kartana @ Choice Band

Jolly Nature

- Leaf Blade

- Smart Strike

- Giga Impact

- Sacred Sword

Meloetta
Meloetta @ Choice Specs

EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 Spe

Modest Nature

- Shadow Ball

- Psychic

- Hyper Beam

- Trick

Necrozma
Necrozma @ Choice Specs

Ability: Prism Armor

EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD

Modest Nature

- Prismatic Laser

- Photon Geyser

- Heat Wave

- Signal Beam

Necrozma @ Sitrus Berry

EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD

Calm Nature

- Calm Mind

- Iron Defense

- Moonlight

- Stored Power

Sableye-Mega
Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite

Ability: Prankster

EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD

Calm Nature

- Will-O-Wisp

- Snarl

- Taunt

- Recover

Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite

EVs: 248 HP / 144 Def / 116 SpD

Impish Nature

- Metal Burst

- Will-O-Wisp

- Taunt

- Recover

Sawk
Sawk (M) @ Fightinium Z

Adamant Nature

- Close Combat

- Earthquake

- Stone Edge

- Counter

Sawk (M) @ Choice Scarf

Adamant Nature

- Close Combat

- Earthquake

- Stone Edge

- Poison Jab

Tyranitar-Mega

EVs: 216 HP / 148 Atk / 8 SpD / 136 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Dragon Dance

- Crunch

- Earthquake

- Stone Edge

EVs: 252 HP / 68 Def / 188 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Taunt

- Crunch

- Rock Tomb

- Earthquake

B- Rank

Blissey
Blissey (F) @ Fairium Z

Impish Nature

- Charm

- Soft-Boiled

- Seismic Toss

- Ice Punch

Buzzwole
Buzzwole @ Fightinium Z

EVs: 248 HP / 152 Atk / 108 Def

Adamant Nature

- Bulk Up

- Stone Edge

- Superpower

- Lunge

Carracosta
Carracosta @ Rockium Z

Jolly Nature

- Stone Edge

- Earthquake

- Aqua Jet

- Shell Smash

Celesteela
Celesteela @ Leftovers

Relaxed Nature

- Leech Seed

- Heavy Slam

- Protect

- Substitute

Celesteela @ Choice Specs

EVs: 220 HP / 204 SpA / 20 SpD / 64 Spe

Modest Nature

- Air Slash

- Giga Drain

- Flamethrower

- Flash Cannon

Crustle
Crustle @ Rockium Z

Jolly Nature

- Rock Blast

- Rock Wrecker

- Counter

- Shell Smash

Diancie-Mega
Diancie @ Diancite

EVs: 252 HP / 52 Def / 148 SpA / 56 Spe

Quiet Nature

- Rock Tomb

- Moonblast

- Diamond Storm

- Magnet Rise

Durant
Durant @ Choice Band

Ability: Hustle

EVs: 224 Atk / 28 Def / 252 Spe

Jolly Nature

- Iron Head

- X-Scissor

- Stone Edge

- Superpower

Gengar-Mega
Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite

Ability: Shadow Tag

Timid Nature

- Hypnosis

- Hex

- Taunt

- Focus Blast

Hoopa-Unbound
Hoopa-Unbound @ Psychium Z

Ability: Magician

EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 32 SpA / 56 SpD

Modest Nature

- Psychic

- Taunt

- Calm Mind

- Dark Pulse

Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Scarf

EVs: 140 Atk / 112 SpA / 80 SpD / 176 Spe

Hasty Nature

- Gunk Shot

- Hyperspace Hole

- Energy Ball

- Hyperspace Fury

Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Band

EVs: 252 HP / 116 Atk / 128 Def / 12 SpD

Adamant Nature

- Hyperspace Fury

- Trick

- Fire Punch

- Drain Punch

Latios
Latios @ Choice Specs

Ability: Levitate

Timid Nature

- Draco Meteor

- Psyshock

- Trick

- Thunderbolt

Latios @ Choice Scarf

Modest Nature

- Draco Meteor

- Psyshock

- Thunderbolt

- Hidden Power [Fire]

Mew
Mew @ Mewnium Z

Ability: Synchronize

EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpA / 24 Spe

Modest Nature

- Fake Out

- Overheat

- Psychic

- Rock Tomb

Mew @ Kee Berry

EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 Spe

Jolly Nature

- Will-O-Wisp

- Soft-Boiled

- Taunt

- Seismic Toss

Swampert-Mega
Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite

EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 SpD

Adamant Nature

- Earthquake

- Waterfall

- Protect

- Yawn

Swampert @ Rindo Berry

EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD

Calm Nature

- Mirror Coat

- Counter

- Scald

- Protect

Terrakion
Terrakion @ Rockium Z

Ability: Justified

Jolly Nature

- Close Combat

- Stone Edge

- Substitute

- Swords Dance

Terrakion @ Choice Band

Jolly Nature

- Close Combat

- Double Kick

- Stone Edge

- Iron Head

Togekiss
Togekiss @ Choice Scarf

Timid Nature

- Air Slash

- Trick

- Flamethrower

- Dazzling Gleam

Togekiss @ Fairium Z

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA

Bold Nature

- Air Slash

- Roost

- Charm

- Thunder Wave

C+ Rank

Archeops
Archeops @ Choice Band

Ability: Defeatist

Jolly Nature

- Head Smash

- Earthquake

- Switcheroo

- Outrage

Archeops @ Flyinium Z

Jolly Nature

- Head Smash

- Fly

- Taunt

- Roost

Avalugg
Avalugg @ Groundium Z

EVs: 248 HP / 96 Atk / 164 Def

Lax Nature

- Avalanche

- Mirror Coat

- Earthquake

- Curse

Camerupt-Mega
Camerupt-Mega @ Cameruptite

Ability: Sheer Force

EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD

Modest Nature

- Earth Power

- Fire Blast

- Ancient Power

- Flash Cannon

Gallade-Mega
Gallade-Mega @ Galladite

EVs: 100 HP / 120 Atk / 96 Def / 192 Spe

Jolly Nature

- Bulk Up

- Close Combat

- Rock Tomb

- Will-O-Wisp

Lucario-Mega
Lucario-Mega @ Lucarionite

Jolly Nature

- Stone Edge

- Substitute

- Reversal

- Magnet rise

Marowak-Alola
Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club

Ability: Lightning Rod

EVs: 216 HP / 196 Atk / 96 Def

Adamant Nature

- Stone Edge

- Low Kick

- Shadow Bone

- Flare Blitz

Medicham-Mega
Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite

Ability: Pure Power

Jolly Nature

- Fake Out

- High Jump Kick

- Zen Headbutt

- Thunder Punch / Ice Punch

Pheromosa
Pheromosa @ Choice Specs

Modest Nature

- Bug Buzz

- Hidden Power [Electric]

- Focus Blast

- Hyper Beam

Pheromosa @ Choice Band

Naughty Nature

- High Jump Kick

- Poison Jab

- Ice Beam

- Double Kick

Tapu Bulu @ Grassium Z

Ability: Grassy Surge

EVs: 248 HP / 224 Atk / 36 SpD

Adamant Nature

- Wood Hammer

- Leech Seed

- Substitute

- Bulk Up

Umbreon
Umbreon @ Fairium Z

EVs: 248 HP / 100 Def / 160 SpD

Calm Nature

- Moonlight

- Charm

- Snarl

- Taunt

Victini
Victini @ Choice Band

Ability: Victory Star

EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Def / 56 Spe

Jolly Nature

- Bolt Strike

- V-create

- Zen Headbutt

- Trick

Volcarona
Volcarona @ Buginium Z

Ability: Swarm

EVs: 192 HP / 100 Def / 216 SpA

Modest Nature

- Quiver Dance

- Substitute

- Overheat

- Bug Buzz

Whimsicott
Whimsicott @ Babiri Berry

Bold Nature

- Leech Seed

- Substitute

- Protect

- Moonblast

C Rank

Blacephalon
Blacephalon @ Choice Specs

Timid Nature

- Mind Blown

- Shadow Ball

- Hyper Beam

- Hidden Power [Rock]

Blacephalon @ Choice Scarf

Modest Nature

- Mind Blown

- Shadow Ball

- Psychic

- Hidden Power [Ice]

Entei
Entei @ Assault Vest

Ability: Pressure

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD

Adamant Nature

- Sacred Fire

- Extreme Speed

- Stone Edge

- Bulldoze

Excadrill
Excadrill @ Steelium Z / Groundium Z

Adamant Nature

- Earthquake

- Iron Head

- Swords Dance

- Rock Slide

Garchomp-Mega
Garchomp-Mega @ Garchompite

EVs: 252 HP / 76 Atk / 176 Def / 4 Spe

Impish Nature

- Outrage

- Earthquake

- Rock Tomb

- Swords Dance

Hitmonlee
Hitmonlee (M) @ Liechi Berry

Ability: Unburden

Adamant Nature

- Fake Out

- Reversal

- Endure

- Rock Slide

Infernape
Infernape @ Grassium Z

Hasty Nature

- Fake Out

- Blast Burn

- Focus Blast

- Solar Beam

Keldeo
Keldeo @ Fightinium Z

EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 116 SpA / 20 SpD / 40 Spe

Modest Nature

- Icy Wind

- Calm Mind

- Focus Blast

- Hidden Power [Rock]

Kommo-o
Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z

Ability: Bulletproof

EVs: 240 HP / 8 Atk / 36 SpA / 224 Spe

Hasty Nature

- Clanging Scales

- Close Combat

- Substitute

Landorus
Landorus (M) @ Life Orb

Hasty Nature

- Rock Slide

- Earth Power

- Hidden Power [Ice]

- Sludge Wave

Latias-Mega
Latias-Mega (F) @ Latiasite

EVs: 196 HP / 60 SpA / 252 Spe

Timid Nature

- Reflect Type

- Recover

- Psyshock

- Surf

Ninetales-Alola
Ninetales-Alola @ Fairium Z

Ability: Snow Warning

Timid Nature

- Substitute

- Blizzard

- Moonblast

- Charm

Pidgeot-Mega
Pidgeot-Mega @ Pidgeotite

Ability: No Guard

EVs: 252 HP / 88 SpA / 168 Spe

Timid Nature

- Hurricane

- Heat Wave

- Feather Dance

- Roost

Porygon2
Porygon2 @ Eviolite

EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 4 SpA / 60 SpD

Calm Nature

- Foul Play

- Recover

- Toxic

- Ice Beam

Relicanth
Relicanth @ Rockium Z

Adamant Nature

- Waterfall

- Head Smash

- Yawn

- Protect

Stakataka
Stakataka @ Choice Band

EVs: 252 HP / 116 Atk / 140 SpD

Adamant Nature

- Stone Edge

- Superpower

- Gyro Ball

- Earthquake

Thundurus-Therian

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Electrium Z

Ability: Volt Absorb

Timid Nature

- Thunder

- Charge

- Taunt

- Substitute

I hope to see y'all playing 1v1, and with that I would just like to do something very kentari-esque and say #1v1forOMPL #1v1forOMGS enjoy the sets and finally, I hope you enjoyed reading :)

e: I will probably be banned soon after this post but I thought it needed to be said before bigger OM tournaments because I think this should make people who don't consider 1v1 a tier worthy of being in big tournaments, reconsider that view. it also doubles up as something to help newer players with all the sets, so yea

Last edited by a moderator:

Nalei

strong, wild garbage
Introduction: The history of 1v1

1v1 was a meta created a while ago, sometime in the BW era. This meta has evolved a lot since then and many threats have come and gone, new players and stars of the tier have been born and most significantly the whole premise of the meta had a massive shift sometime near the end of XY as instead of bringing 1 mon there was a change implemented that meant there was a team preview page and you each bought 3 pokémon and then picked 1 for a 1v1 battle. People have divided opinions on whether this is better for the meta or not. Personally I feel it is better, but I will get into more on that later. So what is 1v1? It is effectively in the name. You pit two pokémon against each other and whichever trainer knocks out the other trainer's pokémon first wins the battle. This simple premise actually allows the meta to become incredibly complex in terms of teambuilding, even more so now that there is the ability to cover your pokémon on your team's weaknesses. The 3v3 preview aspect of 1v1 adds an extra layer of subtelty at team preview which I find is explained well in this video (credits to elo bandit) The Strategy and Psychology of 1v1: Part 2 of 3 As well as making teambuilding choices far more important and in some cases difficult to make which allows for a more diverse meta than just having 1 mon brought to games. The old form of 1v1 effectively took less skill than the new 3v3 teambuilding meta. I label it as a new meta however as old 1v1 is INCREDIBLY DIFFERENT from this new 3v3 team preview brand of 1v1, so different it can be hard to compare them, however I feel like, on balance, 3v3 team preview 1v1 is in the end better than bring one use one 1v1. This thought, and the idea that 1v1 has evolved from an effective rock paper scissors metagame, of bringing only one pokemon, to bringing 3 and picking 1, is what made me want to discuss this, as I believe that 1v1 is underappreciated and still viewed (wrongly so) as a rock paper scissors metagame, determined at team preview and a metagame based on pure luck. I believe that this is fundamentally changed with the addition of team preview, as said, and I will get into why. Along with that I will also attempt to provide a synopsis of every relevant threat in the 1v1 metagame to try and allow people to somewhat get into the metagame easier. Now, lets begin:

Section 1: The science behind 1v1 and the advent of Team Preview

Now 1v1 gets a lot of flak for being a matchup based meta involving relatively little skill, in comparison to other metagames such as OU for example, or even counterpart OMs such as BH and AAA. Now while this is in part true, that certain match ups can be determined as a win or loss at team preview, this is no different to regular tiers its just a lot less obvious in other tiers. In OU for example even at the top tier of play in tournaments such as OST there are matchups which are effectively decided at team preview, and I can think of no better example than the deciding game of OST 11 in which Blunder was effectively fucked because his opponent (WhiteQueen) bought a baton pass team which had a heavy advantage versus blunder and thus lead him to be defeated easily. While I know this is an old metagame and baton pass is banned today, there are still examples of this, however they are slipping my mind right now since I don't play OU that much and I'm tired. However this clearly shows how there are similar scenarios in standard tiers to those in 1v1, and in the metagame of 1v1 right now the amount of match ups expressly decided at team preview are less and less, as the overall playerbase and thus skill level of the top tier 1v1 players increases. There are a few reasons for this relative increase in skill, 1. being that people are adapting to take advantage of the teambuilding system more, this can be explained by comparison to rock paper scissors (now I know I am being hypocritical as I said 1v1 was not like Rock Paper Scissors, however this is in the loosest sense as there are many more variables in 1v1 than rock paper scissors, I will merely be comparing probability), now to explain what I mean, the most consistent 1v1 players build their teams in such a way that instead of being put into rock paper scissor scenarios at team preview, where one pokemon from each team beats one pokemon on the other team, they are put into a favourable position by building so that they are in 2-1 scenarios, so that two of their pokemon can beat the opposition's pokemon, E.G having a Landorus-Therian and a bulky Mega Metagross for Tapu Koko, as seen on xstatic cold's flagship team, this puts the opponent into an interesting situation as while they could pick Tapu Koko to beat the last member of the team (in this case Primarina) they would risk losing to the other two pokemon. Through playing 1000's upon 1000's of battles with this team xstatic cold has played this specific scenario countless times and sampled all the different responses from all the different level of skill players on the ladder, and drawing on this experience he is able to perform well and pick correctly time and time again, in all settings, recently winning the USM open while almost exclusively using 2-3 teams throughout the tournament. His level of experience and knowledge of sets and skill levels in 1v1 allows him to time and time again just outclass opponents, even though 1v1 is a 'hax and matchup' based metagame. This clearly shows that while teambuilding skill has increased, as I have alluded to the number 2. reason for a relative increase of skill in the 1v1 playerbase is the immense knowledge of sets and matchups possessed by top players such as Kentari, the aforementioned Xstatic Cold, UOP, Glyx, Kaneki 7024, attidude to name a few, which allows them to pick correctly and win more games than other people and give them an advantage when teambuilding and playing the metagame. Now to address how hax can affect 1v1 games just as much as other 6v6 tiers: This is similar to how 1v1 is as matchup based as 6v6 in certain scenarios, I.e its just less noticeable in 1v1 than in 6v6. Time and time again people complain about losing to hax because of a random freeze in the middle of the game, a scald burn, etc, and while these scenarios are not as direct in causing losses as in 1v1 games, they still can, and do cause losses which are out of control of people's skills. There are also more noticeable instances such as with Racool in OMPL finals missing 2 Hydro Pumps in a row causing her team to lose the finals and thus the tour. Does this mean that sketchmons is a hax or matchup based metagame? (No, it doesn't) and while I know these examples of direct losses due to hax are less common in 6v6 than in 1v1, those 'indirect' losses to hax are just as common in 6v6 as they are in 1v1, and can cause many games which would have been won to be lost. Honestly I think the shocking consistency of the top 1v1 players should show to more casual 1v1 players who just take 1v1 at face value that there is more to it than just 'ROCKPAPERSCISSORS HURRDURR', let alone the reasons I just mentioned. I understand it can be infuriating to play 1v1 at teams, but it’s the same for almost every tier. And with the advent of team preview I truly believe 1v1 has become more focused on skill than hoping your opponent does not have a direct counter to the sole pokemon you picked. And while you can not cover the whole 1v1 metagame, this leads me onto my next point: the apparent inability to cover the 'whole' metagame in 1v1. When comparing 1v1 to its other metagame counterparts, such as BH specifically, the 1v1 metagame is much more centered around a few very common threats such as Kyub, Zygarde-C, etc. While this can at surface level seem bad, it means you can cover much more of the relevant metagame with 3 pokemon than ever before in 1v1, while in comparison BH has so much room for innovation, that even though the metagame is centered around a lot of fat builds and stuff, there is the same capacity for one random set to blow your whole team out of the water as there is in 1v1, thus leading me to believe that comparing these two metagames for tournaments such as OMPL in terms of their value in competitiveness, and whether 1v1 is warranted a slot in big tours such as OMGS and OMPL over any of its om 6v6 counterparts such as BH or AAA, should not be taken so lightly as I seriously believe that 1v1 is more full of skilled 1v1 players than ever before, and is the closest to a balanced and skilled metagame than it has ever been, due to the work of the community and the tier leaders in recent times, and I think it should be seriously considered for bigger tournaments such as OMGS and OMPL. For people reading this who think that they may want to try 1v1 now, there are some sets below for the more relevant pokemon (and less some relevant pokemon) going from S rank down to C rank.

Section 2: Sets for relevant pokemon in the 1v1 metagame: a beginner's guide to starting 1v1

Note: if a pokemon has more than 1 viable set I will include as many viable sets as it has

S Rank

Gyarados-Mega
Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite

EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 80 Def / 88 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Taunt

- Crunch

- Dragon Dance

- Outrage

Kyurem-Black

Naive Nature

- Outrage

- Ice Beam

- Earth Power

- Fusion Bolt

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Specs

Timid Nature

- Draco Meteor

- Ice Beam

- Earth Power

- Flash Cannon

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z

Jolly Nature

- Outrage

- Fusion Bolt

- Iron Head

- Freeze Shock

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z

EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 200 Def / 44 SpD

Relaxed Nature

- Outrage

- Fusion Bolt

- Earth Power

- Freeze Shock

Kyurem-Black @ Haban Berry

Naughty Nature

- Outrage

- Fusion Bolt

- Flash Cannon

- Ice Beam

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Band

Relaxed Nature

- Outrage

- Ice Beam

- Earth Power

- Fusion Bolt

Kyurem-Black @ Weakness Policy

Relaxed Nature

- Outrage

- Ice Beam

- Earth Power

- Fusion Bolt

EVs: 252 HP / 24 Def / 120 SpA / 60 SpD / 52 Spe

Modest Nature

- Focus Blast

- Earth Power

- Ice Beam

- Draco Meteor

A+ Rank

Charizard-Mega-X

Careful Nature

- Flame Charge

- Outrage

- Flare Blitz

- Belly Drum

Jolly Nature

- Will-O-Wisp

- Flare Blitz

- Outrage

- Dragon Dance

Impish Nature

- Outrage

- Flare Blitz

- Dragon Dance

- Counter

EVs: 12 HP / 240 Atk / 40 Def / 216 Spe

Jolly Nature

- Belly Drum

- Flare Blitz

- Outrage

- Flame Charge

EVs: 112 HP / 36 Atk / 248 SpD / 112 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Flare Blitz

- Dragon Dance

- Outrage

- Flame Charge

Jolly Nature

- Dragon Dance

- Outrage

- Flare Blitz

- Substitute

Metagross-Mega

EVs: 252 HP / 128 Atk / 60 Def / 68 Spe

Impish Nature

- Bullet Punch

- Meteor Mash

- Earthquake

- Thunder Punch

Naive Nature

- Meteor Mash

- Magnet Rise

- Grass Knot

- Earthquake

Metagross @ Metagrossite

EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 Spe

Jolly Nature

- Ice Punch

- Rock Tomb

- Meteor Mash

- Magnet Rise

Mimikyu
Mimikyu @ Mimikium Z

Jolly Nature

- Curse

- Play Rough

- Protect

- Substitute

Mimikyu @ Mimikium Z

EVs: 200 HP / 176 Atk / 92 Def / 40 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Substitute

- Play Rough

- Shadow Sneak

- Swords Dance

Tapu Koko
Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z

EVs: 248 HP / 148 Def / 112 Spe

Timid Nature

- Iron Defense

- Charge

- Taunt

- Thunder

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z

Timid Nature

- Charge

- Substitute

- Taunt

- Thunder

Tapu Lele
Tapu Lele @ Psychium Z

Ability: Psychic Surge

EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA

Modest Nature

- Psychic

- Moonblast

- Calm Mind

- Reflect

A Rank

Charizard-Mega-Y

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y

Ability: Drought

EVs: 224 HP / 156 Def / 20 SpA / 108 Spe

Modest Nature

- Flame Charge

- Will-O-Wisp

- Solar Beam

- Blast Burn

Dragonite
Dragonite @ Dragonium Z

Adamant Nature

- Outrage

- Extreme Speed

- Fire Punch

- Dragon Dance

Dragonite @ Dragonium Z

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA

Quiet Nature

- Draco Meteor

- Fire Blast

- Surf

- Extreme Speed

Dragonite @ Flyinium Z

Adamant Nature

- Dragon Dance

- Extreme Speed

- Fly

- Earthquake

Lopunny-Mega
Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite

Jolly Nature

- Giga Impact

- High Jump Kick

- Ice Punch

- Fake Out

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite

Jolly Nature

- Flail

- High Jump Kick

- Substitute

- Fake Out

Magearna
Magearna @ Choice Specs

EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 228 SpA

Modest Nature

- Fleur Cannon

- Hidden Power [Fire]

- Flash Cannon

- Thunderbolt

Magearna @ Shuca Berry

EVs: 108 HP / 172 SpA / 4 SpD / 224 Spe

Modest Nature

- Fleur Cannon

- Ice Beam

- Thunderbolt

- Hidden Power [Fire]

Magearna @ Occa Berry

EVs: 252 HP / 228 SpA / 28 SpD

Modest Nature

- Thunder Wave

- Fleur Cannon

- Substitute

- Thunderbolt

Mawile-Mega
Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite

EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD

Sassy Nature

- Swords Dance

- Play Rough

- Metal Burst

- Sucker Punch

Mawile @ Mawilite

EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def / 8 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Swords Dance

- Iron Head

- Play Rough

- Sucker Punch

A- Rank

Aegislash
Aegislash @ Ghostium Z

Ability: Stance Change

EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 4 Spe

Quiet Nature

- Shadow Ball

- Flash Cannon

- Shadow Sneak

- King's Shield

Landorus-Therian
Landorus-Therian @ Flyinium Z

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Bulk Up

- Earthquake

- Fly

- Substitute

Landorus-Therian @ Groundium Z

EVs: 100 HP / 64 Atk / 176 Def / 168 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Bulk Up

- Substitute

- Rock Tomb

- Earthquak

Magnezone
Magnezone @ Electrium Z

EVs: 80 HP / 176 SpA / 252 Spe

Modest Nature

- Zap Cannon

- Metal Sound

- Electroweb

- Mirror Coat

Magnezone @ Air Balloon

Modest Nature

- Electroweb

- Thunderbolt

- Flash Cannon

- Hidden Power [Ice]

Pinsir-Mega
Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite

Jolly Nature

- Earthquake

- Close Combat

- Giga Impact

- Quick Attack

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite

Ability: Aerilate

Jolly Nature

- Swords Dance

- Substitute

- Flail

- Quick Attack

Porygon-Z
Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z

EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe

Modest Nature

- Hyper Beam

- Conversion

- Nasty Plot

- Recover

Porygon-Z @ Choice Scarf

Modest Nature

- Hyper Beam

- Trick

- Uproar

- Hidden Power [Fire]

Snorlax
Snorlax @ Normalium Z

EVs: 248 HP / 124 Atk / 136 Def

Adamant Nature

- Belly Drum

- Double-Edge

- Protect

- Yawn

Slowbro-Mega

Slowbro @ Slowbronite

Ability: Oblivious

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

Calm Nature

- Amnesia

- Iron Defense

- Slack Off

- Scald

Venusaur-Mega
Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite

Bold Nature

- Sludge Bomb

- Synthesis

- Giga Drain

- Sleep Powder

Zygarde-Complete
Zygarde @ Groundium Z

Ability: Power Construct

EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 8 SpD / 28 Spe

Impish Nature

- Coil

- Rest

- Extreme Speed

- Thousand Arrows

B+ Rank

Aggron-Mega
Aggron-Mega @ Aggronite

EVs: 252 HP / 176 Atk / 80 SpD

Brave Nature

- Metal Burst

- Heavy Slam

- Head Smash

- Taunt

Blaziken
Blaziken-Mega @ Blazikenite

Jolly Nature

- Thunder Punch

- Flare Blitz

- High Jump Kick

- Protect

Blaziken @ Firium Z

Hasty Nature

- Protect

- Blast Burn

- High Jump Kick

- Hidden Power [Ice]

Donphan
Donphan @ Groundium Z

Jolly Nature

- Earthquake

- Ice Shard

- Counter

- Rock Tomb

Donphan @ Groundium Z

Jolly Nature

- Earthquake

- Ice Shard

- Substitute

- Endeavor

Garchomp

Garchomp @ Dragonium Z / Groundium Z

Jolly Nature

- Swords Dance

- Substitute

- Earthquake

- Outrage

Gardevoir-Mega

EVs: 136 HP / 252 Def / 120 SpA

Modest Nature

- Hyper Voice

- Psychic

- Hyper Beam

- Encore

Timid Nature

- Encore

- Disable

- Protect

- Hyper Voice

Genesect
Genesect @ Choice Specs

EVs: 232 HP / 176 Def / 100 SpA

Modest Nature

- Bug Buzz

- Flash Cannon

- Thunderbolt

- Flamethrower

Genesect @ Choice Scarf

Modest Nature

- Ice Beam

- Bug Buzz

- Flamethrower

- Thunderbolt

Golem
Golem @ Groundium Z

Adamant Nature

- Stone Edge

- Earthquake

- Counter

- Sucker Punch

Golem @ Rockium Z

EVs: 248 HP / 216 Atk / 44 SpD

Adamant Nature

IVs: 16 Spe

- Stone Edge

- Earthquake

- Counter

- Sucker Punch

Greninja
Greninja @ Choice Specs

Ability: Protean

Modest Nature

- Ice Beam

- Hydro Cannon

- Dark Pulse

- Grass Knot

Heracross-Mega

EVs: 236 HP / 140 Atk / 52 Def / 80 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Close Combat

- Arm Thrust

- Pin Missile

- Rock Blast

Jumpluff
Jumpluff @ Wide Lens

Ability: Infiltrator

EVs: 128 Def / 128 SpD / 252 Spe

Timid Nature

- Leech Seed

- Sleep Powder

- Substitute

- Protect

Naganadel
Naganadel @ Choice Specs

EVs: 56 HP / 184 SpA / 68 SpD / 200 Spe

Timid Nature

- Draco Meteor

- Sludge Wave

- Fire Blast

- Air Slash

Primarina
Primarina @ Fairium Z

EVs: 120 HP / 252 Def / 136 SpA

Modest Nature

- Hydro Cannon

- Moonblast

- Aqua Jet

- Baby-Doll Eyes

Primarina @ Waterium Z

EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 172 SpA / 28 SpD

Quiet Nature

- Hydro Cannon

- Aqua Jet

- Moonblast

- Hidden Power [Fire]

Tapu Fini
Tapu Fini @ Waterium Z

EVs: 192 HP / 180 Def / 80 SpA / 56 Spe

Bold Nature

- Moonblast

- Hydro Pump

- Calm Mind

- Rain Dance

Tapu Fini @ Choice Specs

EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 200 SpA / 40 SpD

Bold Nature

- Shadow Ball

- Surf

- Moonblast

- Hidden Power [Fire]

B Rank

Altaria-Mega

Jolly Nature

- Dragon Dance

- Bulldoze

- Giga Impact

- Return

Calm Nature

- Confide

- Cotton Guard

- Roost

- Hyper Voice

Blastoise-Mega
Blastoise-Mega @ Blastoisinite

Ability: Mega Launcher

EVs: 60 Def / 252 SpA / 196 Spe

Modest Nature

- Fake Out

- Hydro Cannon

- Aura Sphere

- Dragon Pulse

Chansey
Chansey (F) @ Eviolite

EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD

Bold Nature

- Charm

- Counter

- Soft-Boiled

- Toxic

Ferrothorn
Ferrothorn @ Steelium Z

Ability: Iron Barbs

EVs: 252 HP / 180 Atk / 76 Def

Relaxed Nature

- Gyro Ball

- Power Whip

- Protect

- Leech Seed

Heatran
Heatran @ Air Balloon

Ability: Flash Fire

EVs: 180 Def / 208 SpA / 120 Spe

Rash Nature

- Overheat

- Rock Tomb

- Earth Power

- Flash Cannon

Jirachi
Jirachi @ Choice Scarf

Jolly Nature

- Heart Stamp

- Iron Head

- Fire Punch

- Trick

Kartana
Kartana @ Grassium Z

Jolly Nature

- Substitute

- Swords Dance

- Smart Strike

- Leaf Blade

Kartana @ Choice Band

Jolly Nature

- Leaf Blade

- Smart Strike

- Giga Impact

- Sacred Sword

Meloetta
Meloetta @ Choice Specs

EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 Spe

Modest Nature

- Shadow Ball

- Psychic

- Hyper Beam

- Trick

Necrozma
Necrozma @ Choice Specs

EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD

Modest Nature

- Prismatic Laser

- Photon Geyser

- Heat Wave

- Signal Beam

Necrozma @ Sitrus Berry

EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD

Calm Nature

- Calm Mind

- Iron Defense

- Moonlight

- Stored Power

Sableye-Mega
Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite

EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD

Calm Nature

- Will-O-Wisp

- Snarl

- Taunt

- Recover

Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite

EVs: 248 HP / 144 Def / 116 SpD

Impish Nature

- Metal Burst

- Will-O-Wisp

- Taunt

- Recover

Sawk
Sawk (M) @ Fightinium Z

Adamant Nature

- Close Combat

- Earthquake

- Stone Edge

- Counter

Sawk (M) @ Choice Scarf

Adamant Nature

- Close Combat

- Earthquake

- Stone Edge

- Poison Jab

Tyranitar-Mega

EVs: 216 HP / 148 Atk / 8 SpD / 136 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Dragon Dance

- Crunch

- Earthquake

- Stone Edge

EVs: 252 HP / 68 Def / 188 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Taunt

- Crunch

- Rock Tomb

- Earthquake

B- Rank

Blissey
Blissey (F) @ Fairium Z

Impish Nature

- Charm

- Soft-Boiled

- Seismic Toss

- Ice Punch

Buzzwole
Buzzwole @ Fightinium Z

EVs: 248 HP / 152 Atk / 108 Def

Adamant Nature

- Bulk Up

- Stone Edge

- Superpower

- Lunge

Carracosta
Carracosta @ Rockium Z

Jolly Nature

- Stone Edge

- Earthquake

- Aqua Jet

- Shell Smash

Celesteela
Celesteela @ Leftovers

Relaxed Nature

- Leech Seed

- Heavy Slam

- Protect

- Substitute

Celesteela @ Choice Specs

EVs: 220 HP / 204 SpA / 20 SpD / 64 Spe

Modest Nature

- Air Slash

- Giga Drain

- Flamethrower

- Flash Cannon

Crustle
Crustle @ Rockium Z

Jolly Nature

- Rock Blast

- Rock Wrecker

- Counter

- Shell Smash

Diancie-Mega
Diancie @ Diancite

EVs: 252 HP / 52 Def / 148 SpA / 56 Spe

Quiet Nature

- Rock Tomb

- Moonblast

- Diamond Storm

- Magnet Rise

Durant
Durant @ Choice Band

Ability: Hustle

EVs: 224 Atk / 28 Def / 252 Spe

Jolly Nature

- Iron Head

- X-Scissor

- Stone Edge

- Superpower

Gengar-Mega
Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite

Ability: Shadow Tag

Timid Nature

- Hypnosis

- Hex

- Taunt

- Focus Blast

Hoopa-Unbound
Hoopa-Unbound @ Psychium Z

EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 32 SpA / 56 SpD

Modest Nature

- Psychic

- Taunt

- Calm Mind

- Dark Pulse

Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Scarf

EVs: 140 Atk / 112 SpA / 80 SpD / 176 Spe

Hasty Nature

- Gunk Shot

- Hyperspace Hole

- Energy Ball

- Hyperspace Fury

Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Band

EVs: 252 HP / 116 Atk / 128 Def / 12 SpD

Adamant Nature

- Hyperspace Fury

- Trick

- Fire Punch

- Drain Punch

Latios
Latios @ Choice Specs

Timid Nature

- Draco Meteor

- Psyshock

- Trick

- Thunderbolt

Latios @ Choice Scarf

Modest Nature

- Draco Meteor

- Psyshock

- Thunderbolt

- Hidden Power [Fire]

Mew
Mew @ Mewnium Z

EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpA / 24 Spe

Modest Nature

- Fake Out

- Overheat

- Psychic

- Rock Tomb

Mew @ Kee Berry

EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 Spe

Jolly Nature

- Will-O-Wisp

- Soft-Boiled

- Taunt

- Seismic Toss

Swampert-Mega
Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite

EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 SpD

Adamant Nature

- Earthquake

- Waterfall

- Protect

- Yawn

Swampert @ Rindo Berry

EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD

Calm Nature

- Mirror Coat

- Counter

- Scald

- Protect

Terrakion
Terrakion @ Rockium Z

Jolly Nature

- Close Combat

- Stone Edge

- Substitute

- Swords Dance

Terrakion @ Choice Band

Jolly Nature

- Close Combat

- Double Kick

- Stone Edge

- Iron Head

Togekiss
Togekiss @ Choice Scarf

Timid Nature

- Air Slash

- Trick

- Flamethrower

- Dazzling Gleam

Togekiss @ Fairium Z

Bold Nature

- Air Slash

- Roost

- Charm

- Thunder Wave

C+ Rank

Archeops
Archeops @ Choice Band

Jolly Nature

- Head Smash

- Earthquake

- Switcheroo

- Outrage

Archeops @ Flyinium Z

Jolly Nature

- Head Smash

- Fly

- Taunt

- Roost

Avalugg
Avalugg @ Groundium Z

EVs: 248 HP / 96 Atk / 164 Def

Lax Nature

- Avalanche

- Mirror Coat

- Earthquake

- Curse

Camerupt-Mega
Camerupt-Mega @ Cameruptite

EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD

Modest Nature

- Earth Power

- Fire Blast

- Ancient Power

- Flash Cannon

Gallade-Mega
Gallade-Mega @ Galladite

EVs: 100 HP / 120 Atk / 96 Def / 192 Spe

Jolly Nature

- Bulk Up

- Close Combat

- Rock Tomb

- Will-O-Wisp

Lucario-Mega
Lucario-Mega @ Lucarionite

Jolly Nature

- Stone Edge

- Substitute

- Reversal

- Magnet rise

Marowak-Alola
Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club

Ability: Lightning Rod

EVs: 216 HP / 196 Atk / 96 Def

Adamant Nature

- Stone Edge

- Low Kick

- Shadow Bone

- Flare Blitz

Medicham-Mega
Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite

Ability: Pure Power

Jolly Nature

- Fake Out

- High Jump Kick

- Zen Headbutt

- Thunder Punch / Ice Punch

Pheromosa
Pheromosa @ Choice Specs

Modest Nature

- Bug Buzz

- Focus Blast

- Hyper Beam

Pheromosa @ Choice Band

Naughty Nature

- High Jump Kick

- Poison Jab

- Ice Beam

- Double Kick

Tapu Bulu @ Grassium Z

Ability: Grassy Surge

EVs: 248 HP / 224 Atk / 36 SpD

Adamant Nature

- Wood Hammer

- Leech Seed

- Substitute

- Bulk Up

[/hide]

Umbreon
Umbreon @ Fairium Z

EVs: 248 HP / 100 Def / 160 SpD

Calm Nature

- Moonlight

- Charm

- Snarl

- Taunt

Victini
Victini @ Choice Band

Ability: Victory Star

EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Def / 56 Spe

Jolly Nature

- Bolt Strike

- V-create

- Zen Headbutt

- Trick

Volcarona
Volcarona @ Buginium Z

Ability: Swarm

EVs: 192 HP / 100 Def / 216 SpA

Modest Nature

- Quiver Dance

- Substitute

- Overheat

- Bug Buzz

Whimsicott
Whimsicott @ Babiri Berry

Bold Nature

- Leech Seed

- Substitute

- Protect

- Moonblast

C Rank

Blacephalon
Blacephalon @ Choice Specs

Timid Nature

- Mind Blown

- Shadow Ball

- Hyper Beam

- Hidden Power [Rock]

Blacephalon @ Choice Scarf

Modest Nature

- Mind Blown

- Shadow Ball

- Psychic

- Hidden Power [Ice]

Entei
Entei @ Assault Vest

Ability: Pressure

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD

Adamant Nature

- Sacred Fire

- Extreme Speed

- Stone Edge

- Bulldoze

Excadrill
Excadrill @ Steelium Z / Groundium Z

Adamant Nature

- Earthquake

- Iron Head

- Swords Dance

- Rock Slide

Garchomp-Mega
Garchomp-Mega @ Garchompite

EVs: 252 HP / 76 Atk / 176 Def / 4 Spe

Impish Nature

- Outrage

- Earthquake

- Rock Tomb

- Swords Dance

Hitmonlee
Hitmonlee (M) @ Liechi Berry

Ability: Unburden

Adamant Nature

- Fake Out

- Reversal

- Endure

- Rock Slide

Infernape
Infernape @ Grassium Z

Hasty Nature

- Fake Out

- Blast Burn

- Focus Blast

- Solar Beam

Keldeo
Keldeo @ Fightinium Z

EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 116 SpA / 20 SpD / 40 Spe

Modest Nature

- Icy Wind

- Calm Mind

- Focus Blast

- Hidden Power [Rock]

Kommo-o
Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z

Ability: Bulletproof

EVs: 240 HP / 8 Atk / 36 SpA / 224 Spe

Hasty Nature

- Clanging Scales

- Close Combat

- Substitute

Landorus
Landorus (M) @ Life Orb

Hasty Nature

- Rock Slide

- Earth Power

- Hidden Power [Ice]

- Sludge Wave

Latias-Mega
Latias-Mega (F) @ Latiasite

EVs: 196 HP / 60 SpA / 252 Spe

Timid Nature

- Reflect Type

- Recover

- Psyshock

- Surf

Ninetales-Alola
Ninetales-Alola @ Fairium Z

Ability: Snow Warning

Timid Nature

- Substitute

- Blizzard

- Moonblast

- Charm

Pidgeot-Mega
Pidgeot-Mega @ Pidgeotite

Ability: No Guard

EVs: 252 HP / 88 SpA / 168 Spe

Timid Nature

- Hurricane

- Heat Wave

- Feather Dance

- Roost

Porygon2
Porygon2 @ Eviolite

EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 4 SpA / 60 SpD

Calm Nature

- Foul Play

- Recover

- Toxic

- Ice Beam

Relicanth
Relicanth @ Rockium Z

Adamant Nature

- Waterfall

- Head Smash

- Yawn

- Protect

Stakataka
Stakataka @ Choice Band

EVs: 252 HP / 116 Atk / 140 SpD

Adamant Nature

- Stone Edge

- Superpower

- Gyro Ball

- Earthquake

Thundurus-Therian

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Electrium Z

Ability: Volt Absorb

Timid Nature

- Thunder

- Charge

- Taunt

- Substitute

I hope to see y'all playing 1v1, and with that I would just like to do something very kentari-esque and say #1v1forOMPL #1v1forOMGS enjoy the sets and finally, I hope you enjoyed reading :)

e: I will probably be banned soon after this post but I thought it needed to be said before bigger OM tournaments because I think this should make people who don't consider 1v1 a tier worthy of being in big tournaments, reconsider that view. it also doubles up as something to help newer players with all the sets, so yea
I really find myself agreeing with your ideas on the philosophy of 1v1 for the most part; thanks for such a great post. However, I would also like to point out that your set compendium takes up a massive quantity of space, essentially as big as other whole pages in the thread. Could you do a /hide around it for the same of compactness?

Power Construct has not been banned from 1v1.
With the percentage of ban votes at 57.7% (15/26), the suspect results fell short of the 60% necessary to banish Zygarde's Complete form from 1v1. Thanks to everyone who participated in this suspect test; we received excellent voter turnout (including some votes from alts! Don't do that, kids). The full results of yet another extremely close suspect can be found here.​

DEG

The night belongs to you
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
We all noticed something but we're either too scared to talk, or don't care much, or just are here to have fun and play. But we all know deep inside that there's something wrong with the 1v1 metagame right now. We suspected 3 Pokemon and they didn't get banned even though they were broken, and why? There's many answers to that like:

1) The suspect Philosophy is broken. We are aware of that, and are looking for a good fix. It was written in a gen 6 metagame, and doesn't apply here anymore. We will be revamping it soon, but we're not in a rush since we need to work it out perfectly as it is a sensitive information. Yes, we are aware of the fact that we're taking too long but it's for a good reason.

2) The metagame is balanced like that, broken check broken, and if we ban something l, another broken Pokemon will show. This is probably a reason why both Kyurem-Black and Zygarde-Complete didn't get banned, it's like "Why them when there's a lot of more threats in the metagame", and this is where people went wrong. We are free to ban anything deemed broken in the PRESENT metagame, the FUTURE can wait and will be handled separately. This is why I believe we failed to reach a ban conclusion on many threats.

3) The problem isn't the Pokemon. This comes more in the "scared" part, and I'll be the first to say it in our present metagame; Z-Moves are broken, let's face the truth. Yes they are fun; yes, they diversify the metagame, yes, it's a gen 7 mechanic, but all of that hurt the metagame rendering it less and less competitive.

Z-Moves are fun, but not in a competitive mindset. We are trying to play this metagame in a competitive way, which explains the recent influx of tournaments. Having a more balanced and competitive metagame is more fun than just spamming Z-Moves.

Z-Moves diversify the metagame but not in a positive manner. This isn't what I expected but you either see people use their favorite Pokemon coupled with a Z-Move or an overpowered Pokemon just because of its Z-Move being spammed over and over again. I don't know about the "good" part of diversity in that, but something must be changed.

Z-Moves are a gen 7 mechanic, but aren't a thing that needs coding to be removed, in the end it's just an item that we can work around it.

Z-crystals are brainless items that are used on every Pokemon without thinking, they are so abundant that you only see them bar the rare choiced items and Mega stones.
It's so simple to create new Pokemon and new sets right now. A metagame should have a key thinking strategy, something to make you enjoy building teams and playing and not just putting a Z-Moves on a Pokemon. This makes you think questions like "Is Kyub really broken without its Z-Move", "Is Sleep even broken without it?" Etc...

From there we have 3 solutions, and no unbanning more Pokemon isn't one of them, which are the following;

1) Re-suspecting Kyurem-Black. This goes with the second point above. People were worried that banning Kyurem-Black would free more space to a lot more Pokemon just like Sturdies. This is a completely wrong way of thinking that really put us in a bad spot. Another point that has been brought up is that people saying "Why ban Zyagrde-c or Jirachi when the best Pokemon in 1v1 isn't" which is an even worse way of thinking, since you're just running in circles and not tackling the real problem. Both of these arguments have lead 1v1 into falling down.

2) Bringing back pre-suspects or carrying on doing regular suspects. This is going to the past and hoping something change, or people to change their opinion about a matter which isn't the smartest option but can work.

3) Touching the heart of the problem which is Z-Moves. This puts up different questions in line; "Wouldn't it hurt the metagame after 1 year of gen 7?", "Would it really make things better?" "Should we ban Z-Moves or limit them one per team?" and the like.

This isn't the leadership team opinion but mine, and I'm waiting for EVERYONE'S answer so we can decide what's going on and fix the future of our metagame so it doesn't become boring and uncompetitive. Thank you! :)

*What is also worse is that in the past 2 suspects people talked 0 about the Pokemon being suspected which really sucks, how do you expect people to understand/change their opinion if there's no post at all.

Last edited:

dom

Banned deucer.
my precious opinion on the important shit.
From there we have 3 solutions, and no unbanning more Pokemon isn't one of them, which are the following;

1) Re-suspecting Kyurem-Black. This goes with the second point above. People were worried that banning Kyurem-Black would free more space to a lot more Pokemon just like Sturdies. This is a completely wrong way of thinking that really put us in a bad spot. Another point that has been brought up is that people saying "Why ban Zyagrde-c or Jirachi when the best Pokemon in 1v1 isn't" which is also an even worst way of thinking since you're just running in circles and not tackling the real problem. Both of these arguments have lead 1v1 into falling down, still haven't crashed but falling.
why though? it just seems to me that people who didn't get the result they wanted are just crying. there really isn't any logical evidence to prove that Kyurem is a significantly improved Pokemon worthy of another suspect test. i've heard qt try to justify it by saying there's "metagame shifts" that make it better, but its just some horseshit. it's not the end of the world that magearna has 1% less usage. stop bitching, pro-kyurem ban people. i'm annoyed that zygod didn't get banned but i'm not gonna try to complain until i get my way and take advantage of the fact that the TLs don't play the tier. kyurem ban people, read this.
2) Bringing back Pre-suspects or carrying on doing regular suspects. This is going to the past and hoping something change, or people to change their opinion about a matter which isn't the smartest option but can work.
no! please don't. the idea of pre-suspects is so inherently flawed. if the community has to decide in a vote what's broken, then nothing is so inherently broken that it needs to be suspected. there's a reason literally no other metas do this; it's clearly the way a lazy TL runs a tier so they don't have to read the thread, be active in the room or even play the goddamn tier.
3) Touching the heart of the problem which is Z-Moves. This puts up different questions in line; wouldn't it hurt the metagame after 1 year of gen 7? Would it really make things better? Should we ban Z-Moves or limit them one per team?
fosho, i've been saying this for ags. i really think zmoves are broken and warp the teambuilding of the metagame to an insane degree. they make the meta all about ZMoves, which i think is unhealthy. additionally, in 6v6 metas, they're somewhat balanced because you can only have 1 user, while in 1v1 there is no limit and you can have as many broken moves as possible they're also stupidly easy to slap onto teams. banning zmoves would also solve the kyub """problem""", not in the way that i think it wouldnt be broken anymore (imo it never was) but that people would stop bitching, and that's something we all want, right? finally, if the zmove ban happens i think it'd be such a significant change that other suspects shouldn't happen close at all.

Last edited:
Just some quick comments on DEG's post

1) Re-suspecting Kyurem-Black. This goes with the second point above. People were worried that banning Kyurem-Black would free more space to a lot more Pokemon just like Sturdies. This is a completely wrong way of thinking that really put us in a bad spot. Another point that has been brought up is that people saying "Why ban Zyagrde-c or Jirachi when the best Pokemon in 1v1 isn't" which is an even worse way of thinking, since you're just running in circles and not tackling the real problem. Both of these arguments have lead 1v1 into falling down.
Personally I think this a good idea as since I began playing 1v1 I thought this Pokemon was a little to versatile. I'm not going to put any arguments about if this Pokemon is broken since they have all been said but I think after these previous suspects people might be more likely to change their vote.

2) Bringing back pre-suspects or carrying on doing regular suspects. This is going to the past and hoping something change, or people to change their opinion about a matter which isn't the smartest option but can work.
I don't really care about this as I see it having no effect on the current suspecting trend.

3) Touching the heart of the problem which is Z-Moves. This puts up different questions in line; "Wouldn't it hurt the metagame after 1 year of gen 7?", "Would it really make things better?" "Should we ban Z-Moves or limit them one per team?" and the like.
Now this idea is a wild one. I think if we are going to ban Z-Moves it should be at the beginning of gen 8 when we can all move on to something else. Right now they are too vital to the meta and I don't think people would like losing half of their gen 7 teams.

Now I'd like to bring up my own point. I think the reason we are seeing these unwanted suspect results is one thing, not enough participation. Now before I continue I will say that no I did not involve myself in the previous 2 suspects but that was mainly due to me not knowing what side to take as I agreed with both arguments or the fact that I have stuff to do every day from 6am-7pm. But enough with my excuses, I think that is more than 25 people would get reqs then we would be seeing different results. Let me ask you this question, who is more motivated to be able to vote on a zygarde suspect, the pro ban side who have a majority of the support, or the anti ban side who are less represented. The obvious answer is the anti ban as they have something they are fighting to keep and they know every one of their votes matter. The pro ban side however, I will admit I did this, may think, "Someone else more capable will get it in my place, there's no way it won't get banned." This is flawed and I think what we've seen in the past 2 suspects so, if you have a strong emotion either way, I urge you to participate.

Thanks for reading the long post.
PS: US East is winning world cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)