Other Metagames [AAA] Meme Dreams (#1 & #7 Ladder Peak)

Laxpras

One small yeet for man, one giant yeet for mankind

Introduction

My last RMT (), which is the my best AAA team, introduced the AAA world to the dreaded Poison Heal Knock Off Manaphy. Now I’m showcasing another successful team of mine that is even more original. The team got me simoultaneous #1 and #7 peaks, and is based around something I always wanted to try in Gale Wings Moltres, as well as a surprise threat in a physical Hydreigon. The team was originally made just to fool around with but I ended up beating some of the best AAA players with it so I decided to keep working on it, and this is the result

Teambuilding Process

I always wanted to build with Moltres so that’s what I started with. The most obvious partner for it was Skarmory; they form a formidable dual Gale Wings core as Skarmory provides priority defog to mitigate Moltres’s SR weakness and Moltres can plow through most Gale Wings checks.

I looked for a lure that could take down most special walls to allow Moltres to sweep late game. I decided to go with my Knock Off Manaphy as its too good not to use. Now that everyone uses it and prepares for it more though it wasn’t quite enough, so I looked for a special attacker that could go physical and decided on Hydreigon after noticing its sizeable attack stat.

Like usual, my team was weak to Thundurus and special attackers in general, so I added a favorite in RegenVest Genesect to check special attackers and provide momentum.

I still needed to check Suicune and Snorlax as they weren’t banned yet and both just beat me. I added Water Absorb Hippowdon as it could phase out both as well as provide SR support.

Most of the team’s battles were done like this. However, when Suicune and Snorlax were banned I decided to spice the team up with… Stunfisk. Stunfisk assists Skarmory as another Gale Wings check, can help against Thundurus, and provides SR support. It’s also Stunfisk. I did however use the Stunfisk version of the team to peak the ladder.

The Team

Moltres | Choice Specs | Gale Wings
4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe | Modest Nature
Hurricane | Air Slash | Fire Blast | U-turn

The crux of the team. Moltres serves as a strong priority attacker as well as a late game cleaner. Special priority in this metagame is absolutely devastating, as it laughs at typical Gale Wings/Extreme Speed checks like Doublade and Skarmory, even when they resist Hurricane. With Choice Specs, Moltres’s power output is extremely high, with Hurricane OHKOing most offensive threats, and 2HKOing most defensive threats. Fire Blast provides another hard hitting STAB that has solid coverage with Hurricane. Due to Hurricane misses, I’m running Air Slash as a secondary flying STAB for when you don’t need the full power and don’t want to risk the miss. U-Turn provides solid momentum if the opponent has a RegenVest user or Chansey in play. Moltres is an excellent, underused threat that can punch huge holes in teams. It can also be a frustrating way to lose if you miss that Hurricane that of course you needed to hit.

Skarmory | Shed Shell | Gale Wings
252 HP / 232 Atk / 24 Spe | Adamant Nature
Swords Dance | Brave Bird | Defog | Roost

Skarmory’s main job is to keep rocks out of Moltres’s path to victory. Priority defog is extremely reliable, and then Skarmory is just an excellent, well known threat. I think Shed Shell is necessary, as Magnet Pull can ruin any team. This speed will speedcreep most other Skarmorys to try to win 1v1s, but no promises that if you hit me on ladder I’m not actually running more speed ;). If Moltres can take out or even just weakens Gale Wings checks like Doublade, Skarmory then can serve as a wincon.

Manaphy | Toxic Orb | Poison Heal
252 HP / 224 SpA / 32 Spe | Modest Nature
Protect | Knock Off | Tail Glow | Scald

A simplified version of the set of my previous RMT, Manaphy’s job is to lure in special walls and remove their Assault Vest or Eviolite, and try to burn them so Moltres can defeat them. Even though that IS its job on the team, this set actually just ends up flat out winning against many opponents. Manaphy is also a very necessary Entei/Volcanion check for the team. For expanded info see previous RMT

Hydreigon | Choice Band | Tough Claws
252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe | Adamant Nature
Crunch | Superpower | Iron Tail | U-turn

Don’t let your memes stay dreams. I thought of this monster when my homie Motherlove brought up the idea of a physical Houndoom. I thought it sounded pretty nice, but then looked and realized Hydreigon is stronger, faster, bulkier, with better typing, so I decided to use this instead. Mega Launcher Hydreigon is threatening enough where opponents will almost always switch out to a special wall, all of which get bippity bopped by a physical hit. Crunch hits almost everything in the meta for really high damage, and Superpower hits the rest and even OHKOs Chansey. Iron Tail is an easy KO against Diancie, and U-turn is nice if your opponent has something like Hippowdon or Chesnaught. Ideally though, you just launch meme Crunches to victory.

Genesect | Assault Vest | Regenerator
252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD | Sassy Nature
Thunderbolt | Ice Beam | Flamethrower | U-turn

I would love to take credit for this bad boy, but I gotta give it to my man E4 Flint . With desceptively insane bulk, Genesect pretty much can’t get 2HKOd by any unboosted Special Attack, barring Fire Blast. Even with Fire Blast, Genesect usually lives the hit unless its STAB and then U-Turns out to regain HP. Its moves just give maximum coverage to hit things like Thundurus and Doublade. The nature doesn’t weaken the power of any of your moves, and provides you with a nice slower U-Turn.

Stunfisk | Leftovers | Regenerator
252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD | Bold Nature | IVs: 0 Atk
Stealth Rock | Discharge | Earth Power | Yawn

For emphasis, let me say it again: Don’t let your memes stay dreams. This flat lil beast has lovely typing against common meta threats like Thundurus, Tyranitar, and Birdspam, and great bulk. A very reliable SR setter, Stunfisk makes an incredibly good Regen core with Genesect. Its mixed bulk is enough to handle pretty much all Bird threats without large prior damage, then enough for some special bulk to eat some boosted Thundy hits. Yawn is fitting because Stunfisk is the best mon in the meta so it makes every game so easy its boring its a solid way to annoy attackers that actually threaten Stunfisk, and it’s always fun to launch an easy Discharge para on whatever switches out of the Yawn. I’m so glad I picked this over Hippowdon; its memey, yes, but if you watch replays you can see how good it can actually be.

Theatlist:
With two Gale Wings users, I haven’t come across a huge amount of threats that this team can’t handle honestly, as pretty much everything gets revenge killed. Tyranitar is a threat, but it is to every team so whatever. The main problem this team comes across is bulky Poison Heal attackers that handle Manaphy, like other Manaphys or even a random Calm Mind PH Blissey that Motherlove ran. Many PH users will die to Moltres, but if there is something like memeBlissey, its imperative you don’t let it set up. Try to pivot to Hydreigon to force PH threats out.

Conclusion:
This team is really fun to use, but also very effective. All of the members support each other really well, there is solid typing and role synergy, as well as thought out checks to the meta's common threats. Lowkey just wanted to show off a dope team but yeah thanks for reading, try it out, give me suggestions (other than getting rid of stungod) and have fun. Remember, It's Lit.

Shoutouts: Not writing anything this time cuz did last time, yes i just forgot u, sry. No order
Kl4ng Ransei imas The Immortal Jordn motherlove OM room dragonite drake dusk raimon aesf Peef Rimgar Grains of Salt Uselesscrab Dr. Phd. BJ manu 11 megaqwer:D InfernapeTropius11 E4 Flint Harambe RIP

Last edited:

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny
Well excellent team man, for last half an hour I have been thinking what beats this team like totally only thing I have come across is primordial sea raikou lol.

Anyways not much to say, as this is a pretty good team for post cune and lax meta. Just a nitpick though, isn't hurricane a little too unreliable to lock yourself into
and also multiple e-speeders can overwhelm your defensive backbone though.

Last edited:

Laxpras

Well excellent team man, for last half an hour I have been thinking what beats this team like totally only thing I have come across is primordial sea raikou lol.

Anyways not much to say, as this is a pretty good team for post cune and lax meta. Just a nitpick though, isn't hurricane a little to unreliable to lock yourself into
and also multiple e-speeders can overwhelm your defensive backbone though.
Thanks! Yeah the team ended up meshing really well

Hurricane isn't super reliable, I generally don't spam it too much. Ideally you have a matchup where you can hit and run, or even if you miss you aren't getting OHKOd, but Hurricane is crazy strong and can beat most offensive threats so its too good not to use, and the power output with specs is really appreciated. With Air Slash though you do have a reliable move that has decent power.

Actually Extreme speed isn't really too much of a threat. Entei is pretty much hard-walled by Manaphy, and while Lucario may initially seem like a threat, it can't really set up on any mon on the team. FridgeSpeed only does like ~65 to Stunfisk, and its either getting hit by Yawn so then Stunfisk can regain HP, or Earth Power. Lucario also doesn't want to take a Manaphy Scald.

Offensive Extreme Speed Zygarde gets beat by Genesect, but the PH set could be a bit annoying for the team.

Edit: Also PrimSea Raikou can't break Gene/Stunfisk Core
252+ SpA Choice Specs Raikou Thunder vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Genesect: 135-160 (39 - 46.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
(If you're specs I just get easy pivot to Stunfisk)

Last edited:

Sylveon.

Thanks! Yeah the team ended up meshing really well

Edit: Also PrimSea Raikou can't break Gene/Stunfisk Core
252+ SpA Choice Specs Raikou Thunder vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Genesect: 135-160 (39 - 46.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
(If you're specs I just get easy pivot to Stunfisk)
Well, there goes my half an hour of thinking

This team is pretty cool tbh, I wouldn't say it's without weaknesses but there's no matchup that would be completely unmanageable (except for BlissGod + Flame Body skarm).

There's a few things I'd probably try with this team, not necessarily better but y'know, kinda worth trying out.
For one Tough Claws Hydreigon fails to 2HKO Skarmory and some other Physical walls and overall often feels like it just lacks a tiny bit of power. For that reason Strong Jaw might be a good ability for it.

252+ Atk Choice Band Tough Claws Hydreigon Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 136-162 (40.7 - 48.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Strong Jaw Hydreigon Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 159-187 (47.6 - 55.9%) -- 82.4% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Tough Claws Hydreigon Crunch vs. 244 HP / 252+ Def Gliscor: 148-175 (42 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Strong Jaw Hydreigon Crunch vs. 244 HP / 252+ Def Gliscor: 171-202 (48.5 - 57.3%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO

Worth a shot imo, you miss out on boosted coverage but I don't really see when it would matter too much, you don't really need to OHKO Chansey and you still reliably kill Diancie / Ttar.

You actually struggle a lot against Bulky waters from what I've seen. Stuff like Azumarill or Blastoise give you a hard time and your PH Manaphy switchin is... your own Manaphy (lol) and if you realise too late that you're batling cm Mana you just lose (iirc), so it might be worth trying Energy Ball instead of Knock off on Manaphy. You lose a tiny bit of utility by now being able to knock off Meloetta, but you gain a lot more pressure on a lot of would be checks / counters.

If you're really missing knock off you could try to run Tornadus instead of Moltres as it makes your matchup against chansey a lot easier, but bare in mind that it does make you a lot more vulnerable to lucario.

NOW OF COURSE THIS IS A LAXLAPRAS RMT AND, MUCH LIKE THE PREVIOUS ONE, IT WOULDN'T BE A PROPER RMT IF IT WASN'T WEAK TO BASED GOD ROTOM FROST. It outspeeds and straight up OHKOs 5 out of 6 mons in your team while eating up Hurricane / Brave Burd and Genesect is a shaky counter at best when it just gets burnt. Of course this is a minor issue but I think it's kinda funny.

Srry it's 3:30 and I'm tired af, anyway is Yawn legit the best possible option for stungod? Toxic does a better job at pressuring ground types and is better against zapdos than yawn is. Of course realistically speaking you should run Volt Switch but Game Freak probably realised that it would make Stungod broken as shit and didn't give it to him.
Anyway that's all I have to say for now cause I'm tired and too lazy to write more. Cool team, works surprisingly well, run Strong Jaw Hydreigon cuz skarm / chans actually beats you.

Just a nitpick though, isn't hurricane a little too unreliable to lock yourself into
But if you're gonna lose you can't just send moltres, click hurricane and hit next to the target and then say "OFC, LUCKY AND BAD" and proceed to act like you woulda won without the miss.

Laxpras

This team is pretty cool tbh, I wouldn't say it's without weaknesses but there's no matchup that would be completely unmanageable (except for BlissGod + Flame Body skarm).

There's a few things I'd probably try with this team, not necessarily better but y'know, kinda worth trying out.
For one Tough Claws Hydreigon fails to 2HKO Skarmory and some other Physical walls and overall often feels like it just lacks a tiny bit of power. For that reason Strong Jaw might be a good ability for it.

252+ Atk Choice Band Tough Claws Hydreigon Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 136-162 (40.7 - 48.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Strong Jaw Hydreigon Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 159-187 (47.6 - 55.9%) -- 82.4% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Tough Claws Hydreigon Crunch vs. 244 HP / 252+ Def Gliscor: 148-175 (42 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Strong Jaw Hydreigon Crunch vs. 244 HP / 252+ Def Gliscor: 171-202 (48.5 - 57.3%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO

Worth a shot imo, you miss out on boosted coverage but I don't really see when it would matter too much, you don't really need to OHKO Chansey and you still reliably kill Diancie / Ttar.

You actually struggle a lot against Bulky waters from what I've seen. Stuff like Azumarill or Blastoise give you a hard time and your PH Manaphy switchin is... your own Manaphy (lol) and if you realise too late that you're batling cm Mana you just lose (iirc), so it might be worth trying Energy Ball instead of Knock off on Manaphy. You lose a tiny bit of utility by now being able to knock off Meloetta, but you gain a lot more pressure on a lot of would be checks / counters.

If you're really missing knock off you could try to run Tornadus instead of Moltres as it makes your matchup against chansey a lot easier, but bare in mind that it does make you a lot more vulnerable to lucario.

NOW OF COURSE THIS IS A LAXLAPRAS RMT AND, MUCH LIKE THE PREVIOUS ONE, IT WOULDN'T BE A PROPER RMT IF IT WASN'T WEAK TO BASED GOD ROTOM FROST. It outspeeds and straight up OHKOs 5 out of 6 mons in your team while eating up Hurricane / Brave Burd and Genesect is a shaky counter at best when it just gets burnt. Of course this is a minor issue but I think it's kinda funny.

Srry it's 3:30 and I'm tired af, anyway is Yawn legit the best possible option for stungod? Toxic does a better job at pressuring ground types and is better against zapdos than yawn is. Of course realistically speaking you should run Volt Switch but Game Freak probably realised that it would make Stungod broken as shit and didn't give it to him.
Anyway that's all I have to say for now cause I'm tired and too lazy to write more. Cool team, works surprisingly well, run Strong Jaw Hydreigon cuz skarm / chans actually beats you.

But if you're gonna lose you can't just send moltres, click hurricane and hit next to the target and then say "OFC, LUCKY AND BAD" and proceed to act like you woulda won without the miss.
Bruh RFrost does like nothing to Genesect idc bout no burn. Strong Jaw is prob worth just for Crunch spam and Iron Tail/Superpower still do what they need to, but I don't think I lose to Chansey or Skarm as I have multiple ways to deal with both of them (Koff Manaphy + Scald Burns, Hydreigon, Skarm, really annoy Chansey, Stungod/Skarm/Manaphy/Moltres deal with Skarm).

Azumarill is annoying, but doesn't really do anything to me as you can see in several of the replays. I can just keep going to Genesect whenever it comes in, launch a Tbolt, then U-Turn out.
Still, Energy Ball might be worth as opposing Manaphys are annoying af I can definitely attest to that, but speedcreeping is how I roll so risky business it is.

Yawn>>>>>Toxic. Mostly saying that because memez, but actually Yawn works really well with the flat lord himself. For one, as a SR setter, you pretty much can force your opp to switchout and get dat chip damage. Two, Yawn really halts set-up sweepers. Three, Yawn works really well with Regenerator. If something can 2HKO Stunfisk, but it gets hit by a Yawn, it probably won't attack again due to fear of being put to sleep. This lets Stunfisk switch out to regain HP to wall everything in the meta some stuff again, and gives a teammate a safe switchin.

Also yeah, every time I lose I get to blame Hurricane hax, so imo I'm undefeated with :~)

Lastly, catch up on ladder nerd

Sylveon.

Erm... you can't forget the basics man, whenever you win is because of skill and stuff and whenever you lose is just because of hax.

Edit :: Although u-turn is good on hydreigon you can try a dragon coverage on hydrei as everything in your team just gets 2hkoed by breakers like cb tough claws dnite including skarm and you can't revenge it immediately without moltress's hurrimisscane . Obviously dragon coverage is redundant but just a food for thought.

Last edited:

Laxpras

Erm... you can't forget the basics man, whenever you win is because of skill and stuff and whenever you lose is just because of hax.

Edit :: Although u-turn is good on hydreigon you can try a dragon coverage on hydrei as everything in your team just gets 2hkoed by breakers like cb tough claws dnite including skarm and you can't revenge it immediately without moltress's hurrimisscane . Obviously dragon coverage is redundant but just a food for thought.
252+ Atk Choice Band Tough Claws Hydreigon Crunch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dragonite: 250-295 (77.3 - 91.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock, if no rocks i just rkill with skarm or moltres

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)