Walrus Agape's Walrus IS COMPLETE - Won by Granny Pie

#3 Crowdfunding

In this cat I wanted either literally crowdfunded songs or Indie.

Myzozoa
Rainer Maria - Catastrophe
Pre-Kickstarter Indie is 5-star worthy. The song itself is really nothing to write home about. Monotonous. Might rise to 2 walruses on re-listen but eh.

Robert Alfons
Talk Talk - IT'S MY LIFE - 1984
Not crowdfunded, but 2 cats for the struggle that bands had to go thru to become even a little known before the internet. Chilly in a cool 80s way. Brrrr. Later corrected to 3 cats because this is almost Indie.

Da Letter El
SWANS "A LITTLE GOD IN MY HANDS" (TO BE KIND)
Crowdfunded and obscure. Automatic 5 cats. I dig the beat and riffs enough for 4 Walruses, though only very barely. This is not something I see myself listening to again. Good send, though!

Steven Snype
Madeon - Pop Culture
I do like tame Electro-Dance like this and mashups also. Enough novelty for 4 pandas. This is crowd but the funding part only came after he released this. 4 cats for obscurity though (2011 perspective).

Lectrys
Undertale OST: 036 - Dummy!
Undertale songs would get auto 5 cats but because it’s the obvious choice here only 4 cats. Dummy! though is one of the best UT songs to pick for this due to it being one of the most standalone songs in the game, easily imaginable in a Toby Fox bandcamp album even if UT wasn’t a thing.

vonFiedler
Higher (Allegiance)
Von’s musical strategy starts paying off! The lyrics make this piece quite enjoyable.

Aladyyn
Protest the Hero - Tidal
Bandcamp! Followable, ambiguous and insightful lyrics in this one just like I like it. Almost, almost 4 pandas. 3 pandas only because the 4 walruses felt like a stretch. Good job sending this.

Lord Gaius
Ex Libris - A Mother's Lament
Another musical, this time from a self-published album. I think that the guitars are a little bit too aggressive for a musical, narrative piece like this. +1 walrus from lyrics source material. Only just a little, though. +1 Panda for Greek geekery boosting this from weak 3 pandas to a real 4-panda status. This sub really rode on bonus points, so successfully sniped? Yeah I use the word snipe as I like. Deal with it.

shubaka17
I Fight Dragons – The Near Future III. Battle
Check out this band’s website. Me saying that is auto 4 pandas. This album seems cool, a story in itself, produced in a modern way. A little bit corny for my tastes but in the context of the album as a whole yeah 4 walruses.

Walrein
The Protomen - Act II - The Hounds
I really do like how this song sounds funky but still is rock. I guess Walrein has mastered his rock well enough to pick video gamey gems like this. Playlisted this for auto 5 pandas (autopandas!). Oh, also Indie.

LightWolf
Strife 2: 4. Rouge on the Rox
Silly LW sending me a Youtube link when he should know that I bought the .flac release off the crowdfunding campaign. You knew which is my favourite track there y u no pander???

Granny Pie
Them's Fightin' Herds - Title Theme
Another successful panda snipe. (Finland just got its first ever pandas from China. That’s another successful panda snipe there albeit completely unrelated.) Game out late next spring. It’ll have BGM that fluctuates based on which character is dominant in combos, mixing the tracks real time. Cool!

Next cat on Friday at 5PM EST!

Last edited:
#4 Fandom.

(A song or artist that has emerged from a fandom.)

This cat was intended to be self-explanatory. If fandomness was in doubt non-5 cats were given.

Da Letter El
The Cardigans - My Favourite Game
”DLE” said:
this is off of the cardigan's album named Gran Turismo
the whole music video is the singer driving around crazily as one can do in a driving video game
and after it was released, they let it be put on the Gran Turismo 2 soundtrack
and the name of the song is a throwback to their love of the game and the name of the album
Definitely a fandom piece. Full cats there. This would have benefited more from the video itself than lyrics! The song itself was almost mediocre quality and almost enjoyable. Grand Turismo itself is cool, although I’ve never played it myself!

Steven Snype
YUGI VS JADEN - BATTLE!
CARD GAMES ON MOTORCYCLES! I normally don’t like rap and alas haven’t watched the Abridged Series. Three Pandas for memeness though. Easily hits 5 cats. If LW does a Walrus send this there for instawin.

vonFiedler
Into the Woods - Agony
Von carries on with the musicals. Luckily I was just in the right mood for a fantastic and corny piece like this. As far as musical pieces go, this one was enjoyable, albeit the melodramaticness requires significant suspension of disbelief. I had it. The argument for “classic fairy tale fandom” however doesn’t have what it takes to reach beyond 3 cats.

Aladyyn
Caladan Brood - Book of the Fallen
A band who only released a single album, which is completely based on a book series. 5 cats. This metal piece is calm and focused and would have been quite epic if not for the growling vocals! :criticalthinking: However objective walrus is objective and hence 4 walruses. Would have easily been 5 pandas with more pandering vocals or if this had been only the first minute or so.

Walrein
temmie get money for colege
Mildly amusing. Subpar quality compared to best pieces from Undertale fandom. instant 5 cats for colege

Robert Alfons
Xiu Xiu - Falling
”Robert Alfons” said:
This is a cover of a song from the OST of Twin Peaks, a popular tv show from the early 90s that still has a sizable fanbase, especially now that a new season got released this year. You should watch it, by the way. The genre is as vague as "experimental rock."
Minus one cat for professional band. This is a nice, atmospheric piece. I like it. Not much to say beyond that. Haven’t watched Twin Peaks tho so no 5 pandas for nostalgia.

LightWolf
Batty - Odyssey Eurobeat
Super Ponybeat is one of the first and most ancient poni remixers/musicians. His production has suffered from aging a little (although this one in particular, being an original piece instead of a remix has aged relatively well). However, after his most active period dozens of better songs were released by other artists and you could have picked from those! ((Also why didn’t you pick Dream Mode Luna or the original Discord for max panda?!?!?))

Granny Pie
Foozogz - ,~*Smile!*~, (Rmx VIP)
Poni is worth 5 cats. The competition for music within MLP fandom is huge, so scoring 5 walruses is really difficult. This is however a decent remix, although I prefer this particular piece without speeding up. The song itself is one of my all-time favourites from the show, but because this remix pales to the original only 4 pandas.

Lord Gaius
Toby Fox: Liquid Negrocity
The Homestuck soundtrack is basically fanon made canon. This is one of the better pieces from that particular album, although I like 3 am (and its remixes) better. This instrumental piece captures the noir vibes of The Midnight Crew quite well, particularly their likable, relatable side while also replicating some of the most ubiquitous leitmotifs from across the whole HS soundtrack discography. (Although when I reflect on it, this piece might have been the original source for the Midnight Crew leitmotif…) Also I think I have sent this to various walruses myself at least two times so there’s that.

shubaka17
MEGALOVANIA - All Versions Layered
Shubaka was late to the party, I pestered him over Discord to send this in. It’s probably the most safe pick there is. Choosing the layered version is an interesting choice, because the Undertale version is the best. However this does guarantee 5 cats, while the Undertale version wouldn’t have gotten that due to not being counted to be in its own fandom. I cannot give the layered version 5 walruses due to aforementioned reasons, nor does it reach full pandering. But by the virtue of being Megalovania, it scores well.

Lectrys
Night of Nights by COOL&CREATE
I had no idea this was Touhou originally! Instant 5 cats. This is so iconic a song that I think most people are aware of it or at least its remixes some way or another. A nice piece on its own, this has spawned so many remixes that I think this is a stellar example of what I was looking for in this cat, hence 5 pandas via bonus panda.

Myzozoa
Kayne West - Stronger
Can’t get higher than this with rap. I’ve heard dozens of remixes from this one, the original not so much. However the original itself is one of the stronger rap pieces out there. Kayne West however is quite mainstream and the vid building upon Akira is not exactly what I had in mind for this cat. One of the better remixes could’ve granted 4 or 5 stars, perhaps due to being Kayne West fandom or even fawning over this piece itself - it’s that popular. Retconned to 4 cats because this song has itself spawned a cult following of sorts.

Grats to Myzozoa and Lectrys for much cat win!

Cat 5 reveal whenever shubaka17 gets the sub in.

#5 CAT EQUALS PANDA!?

(No cats will be awarded. Double the pandas.)

Aladyyn

Blaze of Perdition - Detachment Brings Serenity

Black metal sux. The percussion was occasionally nice.

Myzozoa

Sleater Kinney - Light Rail Coyote

This piece just doesn’t inspire me, I’m afraid! This category didn’t have any specific theme, only a different point system.

Lord Gaius

Superblast! by Lush

Agh unclear lyrics! Just a little groovy IMO. This song should be listened in a car when driving a frozen road alone in the dark wilderness. Alas I wasn’t.

Walrein

The Bravery - This is not the end

Cool lyrics. Melodies nothing to write home about but cool enough. Had I not been tired when listening to this I could have enjoyed it much more, but alas nay.

Steven Snype

Brodyquest

A meme track. As a meme this isn’t actually as popular as one would think. I had never heard it before and wasn’t exactly impressed. Brodyquest isn’t suitable as a BG track because it isn’t homogenous enough. On the whole Brodyquest is too tame for a successful meme track - the remixes might have been better. The final minute raises the score a little, though. And in the end this is a decisively better sub than Snype’s first one. :thinking:

Snype’s original sub for this cat was this

Granny Pie

Awkward Marina: Anthropology the song

Lyra third best pone. Anthropology was a nice, light read many years ago. It’s about a pony exploring anachronisms in the world as remnants of an ancient civilization - humans. Such a clever premise. I vastly, vastly prefer The Background Pony though as Lyrafics go. There’s a more classy classic. This song itself is nice, but Yoka’s remix is just that much better.

shubaka17

"Sailor's Hornpipe" - Carmen Dragon

A nice instrumental piece. It took me a while to realize this one has been used a lot as Looney Tunes BGM. Nice, cheerful and nautical!

Da Letter El

ADAM HAU - THIS IS GOSPEL | PANDA! AT THE DISCO mashup

Somehow this mashup works quite well! The two tracks complement each other in a nice way and I do enjoy this one more than them separately.

Robert Alfons

David Bowie - Starman

”Robert Alfons” said:
There was going to be a King Crimson song in this cat but that band is very gung-ho about keeping their music offline for some reason so have a Bowie song instead.
idg bands who want to keep their music offline… Bowie is kinda hit or miss for me. I cannot help thinking of him as “dad music”, but he manages to keep overcoming my prejudice. No nostalgia points due to my mixed feelings about Bowie, but Starman is the good stuff.

Lectrys

John C. Heed - In Storm and Sunshine

This piece was difficult to rate. After multiple attempts my conclusion was that I ultimately appreciate this piece, but don’t exactly like it very much. Lectrys explained that this march has plenty of colour shifts. I notice that and perhaps it’s what causes my mixed feelings towards the piece. I like the flute sections but the horn-dominated parts put me off a little.

LightWolf

PINK FLUFFY UNICORNS DANCING ON RAINBOWS - ANDREW HUANG

this is the best piece of music that can possibly exist without the universe imploding in a singularity of awesomeness

vonFiedler

West Side Story: America

A great song from an excellent musical. Even though as far as musical numbers go there’s much more enjoyable pieces, but West Side Story stands out IMO for being far more relevant in the present day than it should be. Too little has changed in over 50 years regarding injustice. I love how this song praises MURICA but is so hispanic.

Cat 6 reveal when Granny Pie has subbed!

Last edited:
#6. Cheese.

(Swedish for cheese is ost.)

I actually don’t like OSTs that much, but I do consume copious amounts of them while playing games. Though in retrospect not that much since I stopped competitive HS. Still, it’s an easy Walrus cat!

vonFiedler

Little shop of horrors - Dentist!

What is this lol? This is almost successful as comedy but I cannot really appreciate the satire here.

Myzozoa

Cowboy Bebop - Gotta Knock A Little Harder

Cowboy Bepop has the best soundtrack. I actually hadn’t heard this piece, it being from one of the movies. Good jams like all Cowboy Bebop, but not as funky or experimental as the main anime OST.

shubaka17

It's Over, Isn't It? | Steven Universe

I haven’t watched Steven Universe. I know Stronger Than You from the Undertale mashup. This sand lament would have benefited from knowing the story behind it. Hearing it standalone leaves much to be desired (although this does motivate me a little towards watching Steven Universe!) However I cannot penalize it much due to the fact, because I cannot be expected to have watched everything ever produced.

Robert Alfons

Geinoh Yamashirogumi - Kaneda

Indeed, I really should watch Akira. I didn’t really rate this song after the first listen-thru. Then I listened thru it again, louder. For some reason I cannot like this song as much as I’d want to. Perhaps I’m expecting some crazy cyberpunk oomph while this piece actually is quite atmospheric. Conflicted.

Lectrys

Blue Dragon Music Soundtrack Eternity

Hahaha they got Ian Gillian to do vocals for a game that’s the epitome of mediocrity? That’s awesome. ...or sad. I’m sorry, no meme value from me this time. Minus one Walrus for the unholy combination of Uematsu and Gillian.

Aladyyn

Trine Main Theme

Simple opening theme, successful at what it does. FINLAND REPRESENT!

LightWolf

Hybrid - TWEWY OST

TWEWY OST is excellent. It has one of the few rap pieces in video games that I almost like. This one is the good stuff, but doesn’t quite manage to break thru my dislike of rap.

Steven Snype

One Punch Man Full Opening

Cheesy and epic. I actually wasn’t aware of Onepunchman before this song. This sub sucked me into tvtropes for 2 hours. I disapprove. Bonus walrus for epicness of the original webcomic.

Walrein

Danganrompa 2 OST: -3-06- Ekoroshia

Danganrompa is a series I really really need to play. I love the genre. Maybe some Steam sale. This song matches my expectations on OSTs perfectly. So good BGM for Hearthstone grinding.

Lord Gaius

Cowboy Bebop OST 1 - Space Lion

This is my jazz. ← 100% canonical Lucio quote from Overwatch. This is one of the calmer pieces from Cowboy Bebop OST. World Music/Jazz vibes. Pure quality as one would expect from Cowboy Bebop, but not 100% my cup of tea.

Granny Pie

MLP Fighting is Magic - Twilight Sparkle Theme

Granny Pie’s first sub to this cat was the Pinkie Pie theme, which was already submitted to cat 1. To avoid a catfail the sub was changed to this. This was first of the BGM tracks mixed for Fighting is Magic. This one is perhaps my second favourite of the series. It builds up nicely and has a magical feel into it. Good stuff.

Da Letter El

Mahoutsukai no Yome EP 5 Insert OST - "Mina & Matthew's Reunion" (Orchestral Arrangement)

Beautiful. Playlisted for instant 5 pandas. Full walruses were a bit questionable but it would seem that I didn’t retcon them to 4.

Cat 7 reveal when LW and Granny Pie get subs in.

Cat 7 The Furry Cat.

(No explanation.)

This is probably the most difficult cat. I don’t identify as a furry, but auto 5 cats in this category go to music that obviously could have emerged from the core furry subculture. Fandoms of shows, games etc are judged on case by casis but quite harshly. Non-furry non-fandom subs get cathammered hard. On the other paw this was a difficult cat for everyone, so we have fair competition here! Also: come on, no Undertale, Star Fox or Zootopia on this cat? Kek.

Steven Snype
Smelly Cat
Thematic connection will net at least a cat. This song features a single cat so let’s leave it at that. The chorus was a little enjoyable, but on the whole this song is but a glorified gimmick. You could call this a cat fail.

Aladyyn
Archgoat - Goat And The Moon
Can’t get much worse than this even within Black Metal. Also a catfail :thinking: Is this the rock bottom of Aladyyn’s golfing? The riffs get only infinitesimally better towards the end. I wanted to 111 this but the single gregorian chant earns the second walrus. Baphomet is a cool demon lord in DnD/Pathfinder lore but this song is just torture.

Lord Gaius
Panda by This Town Needs Guns from album “Animals”
Hmm hmm. I cannot put my finger on the genre of this piece. Help me out, you who listen to this on Discord rn. I come across songs like this a lot in walruses. Kinda between prog/indie rock and hipster instrumental pop? I like the how the background is nuanced and “alive”, but the lyrics are a little bit too complex for my tastes (they’re nice, but I’m not in a very contemplative mood right now and too complex songs aren’t something I’d listen to more than once or twice). Also a catfail anti-yay.

Myzozoa
Monster - Lady Gaga
I haven’t heard much Lady Gaga. This song exceeded my expectations. Even though it’s shallow pop (and less flashy than I’d expect from Lady Gaga) it manages to be enjoyable. Decent lyrics also for not a complete catfail.

Walrein
The Pack A.D. - Wolves And Werewolves
Two cats to stay in line with other subs. Walrein keeps nailing it with rock songs that are surprisingly enjoyable and fitting to my tastes. Clearly a sign of successful walrus (Walrein?) telepathy. The riffs are catchy and the song is… accessible. It’s just a little above mediocre in my tastes, but that’s well above average compared to my general meh attitude towards rock. Ultimately why this song isn’t great IMO is due to unnecessary repetitiveness towards the end. It could also have been just a little bit edgier and/or faster (even tho I prefer slow!).

Granny Pie
Daniel Ingram feat. Andrea Libman and Ashleigh Ball: Find A Pet (MLP: FiM S02E07)
Wow playing it super safe. Sorry, but mere association isn’t going to cat this cat. Had you sent a fan remix I’d have granted 3 cats, because the original show isn’t as furry as the fandom. The song itself isn’t even close to my favourites from the show and thus doesn’t get much panda value in due to being in company of much better songs (in the show - the quality of this sub is baa-d). Walruswise though this song is one of the better ones. It carries the episode’s plot forward in a really fluid manner, while also being catchy and clever. No 5 walruses though due to there being other songs that are excellent and more than excellent in the show.

LightWolf
Hofi Géza, Koós János - Macska duett (cats duet)
Hungarian MANTHRO CATS from a children’s cartoon show. Ok. Ok… I found this actually funny, about 50% legit 50% irony. Barely not enough for 3 pandas. Retcon to 3 pandas due to me being impressed on how similarly Hungarian stresses words compared to Finnish (first syllable). As for walruses, I take this as what it is - an old children’s cartoon piece. It’s decently good at that... after I was able to overcome the initial wtf and cringe reactions. Luckily the song was long enough for that to happen (6 minutes).

shubaka17
Evanescence - Bring Me To Life
”shubaka17” said:
for #7 i have the emo song, bc all furries are emos
I don’t buy this explanation, so this is the purest catfail in this walrus so far. Since I specified in the rules a minimum of one cat in contradiction to what design intent I had in mind, you get one cat instead of zero due to legalism. That said, this blockbuster song is good. I’ve been exposed of this song before but wasn’t aware of the band behind it. Sounds a lot like Nightwish and perhaps Linkin Park. I like the cool (temperaturewise) melodies, especially with the vocals. The lyrics are mediocre but relevant (depression is always relevant).

Da Letter El
Kemono Friends op full - Welcome to the Japari Park
DLE had retconned the sub and I didn't notice it in time so we livejudged this during reveal. About average as catchy anime openings go (really who can top Lucky Star opening). +1 cat for being furry in a weeb way, there's eynergy there. This song is not very memorable but kawaii desu and I might watch the anime kek.
The Banana Splits -Tra la la
I started listening to this cat from DLE’s sub as always. Is this cat going to be full of children’s shows??? Sesame Street when??? This song is an annoying earworm, but I can see some effort is put onto this. The video is literally full of fursuits so I guess some cats are warranted? Barely barely giving 4 cats, might fall later. Wow this category’s gonna be HARSH! Yeah it fell.

Robert Alfons
The Residents - On the Way to Oklahoma
Trippy and cringy. Weak three cats for anthropomorphism and cringiness. The semi-psychedelic melodies are actually pleasant and surprisingly coherent, but the overall weirdness is a negative instead of a positive for this song. Lyrics are just ???

Lectrys
The World Adventure from Sonic Unleashed
Sonic is one of the furriest fandoms, even notoriously so. Being from the original game lowers the furry value, even though Sonic and co. are one of the most known examples of an anthro cast in video games. This piece is pretty standard OST stuff, a safe pick for this Walrus. Somehow this reminds me of Pokemon soundtrack pieces from the latest few generations? Such Nintendo, even if Sega.

vonFiedler
CATS Musical - Memory
My favourite musical musical piece. This meowns that vonFiedler pretty much autowins this cat. According to my criteria this probably should’ve been awarded 4 cats instead of 5 but due to bias I’ll 555. One of the first songs I memorized parts of in English, this impressed me sometime in primary school and the hype hasn’t dwindled ever since. Neither von nor me has actually seen CATS.

Cat 8 (Violinkind) reveal will be announced when Granny Pie, LightWolf and shubaka17 have subbed.

Cat #8. Violinkind.

This is a simple cat. Automatic 4 cats if I notice strings. 5 cats if the strings are epic enough. The classical music panda minus is just because it’d have been a too “safe pick” in this cat. Could have done without saying that. Oh well!

Da Letter El

Royce Da 5'9'' - Boom

Eughhhh rap. I’m sorry I just can’t see beyond the macho exterior of rap pieces like this. Lyrics are a little meta but not enough to be worth an increase in scores cause I don’t really :|

Robert Alfons

David Thomas Broughton vs. 7 Hertz - Weight of My Love

Correct me if I’m wrong, but apparently this whole album was a live recording/improvisation mashup. Nothing wrong with that, but this piece in itself isn’t my cup of tea and I think that’s due to the format. This piece is skillful and nuanced, but drags on a lot, which causes me to lose focus.

Myzozoa

The Arcade Fire - Rebellion (Lies)

The strings are more prominent towards the end of the piece. I really like the soft strings in this song, even though on the whole it is meh. On re-listen I enjoyed this one much more (and the fact that I did re-listen to this is a plus in itself).

Aladyyn

Dominia - Beautiful Innocence

As far as metal goes, symphonic and/or melodic is high on my list. I just can’t stand the growling singing style. Though it’s not bad in this song as it could be (like only Bush bad, not Trump bad). High walrus score because I don’t really rate death metal but this piece wins out in relative comparisons.

Walrein

Jack White - That Black Bat Licorice

Catchy riffs and Nietzsche Liquors ftw. A song that’s demands your attention but is easy enough to get, while leaving questions. Also catchy riffs. I really don’t expect much more from rock than this. Not mind-blowingly good but above expectations. Not that much violin tho.

Granny Pie

My Little Orchestra - Friendship Symphony No. 1 In D Major (Season 1 Orchestrated)

More like a collection of songs than a symphony! This is a collection of orchestral pieces on the key moments of MLP season 1. Art of the Dress and At the Gala are my favourites here. Some pieces I like a lot but some I don’t rate that highly. Had you only singled out Art of the Dress this’d have been 5 pandas, but the high variance hurts this a little. Otherwise great stuff and such pandering.

Steven Snype

Renegade - Yanni

WAT is this??? This actually be nice. The recording however doesn’t do justice to this piece at all. It’s epic, accessible and has nice pacing but ARGH COMPRESSION!

vonFiedler

Lea Salonga - I Dreamed A Dream

This ISN'T classical music!
No, it’s not classical music, but it’s a classic. I’ve only seen the modern musical version of Les Miserables (the book is much better tho). It’s difficult for me to score this song, because much of its value comes from it’s context and other works that draw inspiration from it. As far as musicals go, this is perhaps the clearest and most easily followed one. Even though this is less flashy than musical pieces I usually like the most, I’ll err to 4 pandas instead of 3 just because this is so significant.

Lord Gaius

RED - Hymn For The Missing

Ehh… This is a gentle, a little melancholic song. I like it, but I’d need to listen it a few times to truly gather an opinion about it. The feelings and atmosphere of this song is calm and peaceful, even though it has strong lyrics in the first half.

LightWolf

Vitamin String Quartet- Through The Fire And Flames (Dragonforce)

Epic and stringy - just as this cat likes it. A little thin and one-sided to achieve greatness.

shubaka17

Bastille - Things We Lost In The Fire

Meh Youtube even VEVO stuff sounds compressed. Hmm. This could have been better without a lead vocalist. Great stuff, but I came to this song looking for strings instead of a song in itself. For a different cat this could have scored even better??? How can I give this more points??? Can’t give more than 5 cats so I guess this stays at 12 points rippppppp.

Lectrys

That Person's Name Is (Bravely Default OST)

Bravely Default omnomnom. The only jRPG that I’ve completed 100%. The grinding was great! Prominent and epic strings make this intensive piece a pleasure to listen to.

Cats 9 and 10 will be a double-reveal on Wednesday the 17th at 5PM EST.

#9 Drop the bass.

(I like dubstep, glitch hop and chiptune, but am infuriatingly hipster about chiptune. You can try me with unplugged or otherwise analog songs.)

I think that genre cats are easy and self-explanatory. This cat should have been easy, but was it? The hidden criteria for 5 cats was me doubting if my rig was good enough for bass playback. Headphones are for plebs.

vonFiedler

Jab Bhi Koi Haseena Dekhu | K. K. | Hera Pheri 2000 Songs | Akshay Kumar

I'm protesting this category
Von keeps the musical streak going with surprise Bollywood. The video made me chuckle three times so meme points go to Von for this catfail.

LightWolf

NEW DANGANRONPA V3 OST- V3 SCRUM (SCRUM DEBATE)

I expected more intensity from a Danganrompa OST piece in a dubstep cat.

Robert Alfons

Seinfeld Theme Song 10 Hours

”Robert Alfons” said:
i want you to sit through at least an hour of it before you can judge it, the length is essential to its quality
Exhausted after this piece. Minus one panda for forcing me to listen to 1.5h of this. It’s funky (at least about 20min mark) and loops really well. There’s bass even though it’s not digital for 3 cats. This is cat 1 material. The high walrus score is due to this being a pretty good earworm.

Lord Gaius

Tsunami by DVBBS and Bourgeousy

The artificial bass boosting in this one is much flatter than in DLE’s sub. It however took me a little time to determine if my rig or the song was inadequate. Flat and inadequate are the very words I will use to describe this piece. Youtube recommended list groups this with Beep Beep I’m a Sheep. That is a plus.

Lectrys

F-777 - Deadlocked

Lectrys sent me a Newsgrounds link for this. A blast from the past! On the whole this piece has somehow a casual feel to it. It’s nice to listen to, but it doesn’t stand out in any way. Playlist material but forgettable.

Myzozoa

Bjӧrk - Mutual Core

Something about Björk’s hoarse voice puts me off. The chorus, especially the latter one was nice, but otherwise this song was a little bit too slow for me, and the bass wasn’t as prominent as I’d hope for this cat. On the whole Björk is quality though so I cannot give this any less than 3 pandas. Impressive video. (Those strata tongues are creepy.)

Aladyyn

Skyclad - Spinning Jenny

Since when did Aladyyn become Walrein??? Great analog try at this cat, but I have to subtract a walrus for the compression. I enjoyed this song, the tempo was just right for my meh rock taste, but this couldn’t break the 3 panda rock ceiling for me. Also Youtube comments from 10 years back wow.

shubaka17

Mystery Skulls - "Magic" feat. Brandy and Nile Rodgers

I actually haven’t heard any Mystery Skulls beyond the iconic (and great) animations. This is a nicely balanced piece, but too repetitive and unsurprising for my tastes.

Steven Snype

Not A Real Thing - Far Too Loud, Beardyman & JFB

Steven Snype nailed the genre perfectly so I’ll grant 5 cats even though my rig took this piece easily. Cool stereo effects. One of the samples used during the first minute is horribly compressed, that hurts the overall quality of this song a little, even though it is gimmicky just the way I like it otherwise.

Da Letter El

RL Grime - Core (Bass Boosted)

Given DLE’s LOUD cat in his own walrus, I knew I could count on DLE to deliver. My rig was good enough for this. This piece has something else than the bass, and the bass itself is nuanced and enjoyable, adding to the piece in a way that creates a coherent whole. Cool, quality stuff and even though it’s not a perfect hit as far as my tastes go, it’s close. Also that Audi is dope.

Walrein

Anamanaguchi - Endless Fantasy

Really solid chiptune. I like mine a little bit more melodramatic but this is good stuff. Chiptune is not subject to the bass 5 cat requirement!

Granny Pie

Discord (Remix) - Eurobeat Brony

Wow playing it super safe here. I can’t disagree with the pick though. The Discord Remix was essentially The Living Tombstone’s breakthrough into becoming a professional musician. The song is simple but well-paced, accessible, dynamic and balanced. Not that much bass but this song influenced the brony dubstep subsubculture so much that I’ll let it bass.

Cat 10 reveal on next post whenever Smogon spam limit lets me.

#10 The Sales Pitch.

(That pun just does not work in English. I have a really blurry idea about this cat. Nightcore, autotune, songs about dances, something. Background music that keeps you happy or occasionally makes you feel great or smug. I might be lying here! Something epic will do as well. This category has two secret scoring modifiers. Try to figure them out.)

The hidden meaning for “Sales Pitch” is that this is a “surprise me” category. Minus one cat to all submissions that didn’t surprise me in some way. The second secret score cat is high-pitchedness (partly in contrast to the bass cat) but I’m not going to be strict at all on that.

Da Letter El

Moneyball - Last Scenes ( Kerris Dorsey Singing 'The Show' )

Sorry DLE but this is a catfail, as you took the cat too literally! The title was a ruse, a distaction even! (typo intentional for meme) Extra cat for surprise though. As a song the lyrics warrant an extra walrus and the cuteness a panda.

vonFiedler

Time Warp - Richard O'Brien

I'm the one who SAID to include that bit about songs about dances. So I'll take my bonus points as I send this:
I couldn’t view the one von sent due to EU wall, but managed to find a mirror I think. No bonus points because I added that line as a joke, but good try! Autotune down is still an autotune, so I’ll grudgingly let the second hidden cat pass. (Wasn’t a 5 cat sub to begin with, hence the 3 cats.) I can’t really wrap my head around this song. I’m sorry but I cannot think of this song as anything else but bad rock, but it’s due to my taste in rock being bad instead of this song being bad.

Granny Pie

parnas1us - Flutter Girl

I’m afraid this is was too tryhard. Voice clip splicing a popular vocaloid song into poni is no longer vocaloid. A “normal” poni voice splicing song would have made it, but in this one the voice becomes so broken and disjointed it hurts, and it being in japanese hurts even more. The artist genuinely tried, but the end result is just subjectively bad. Not going to even give a mercy panda, because this puts the good voice splices in a bad light (and tbh I don’t really like the voice spliced songs).

Myzozoa

The Notorious B.I.G. - "Juicy"

The beat was actually catchy in a no-macho way and the lyrics were worth a single chuckle. I guess the BG vocals are autotuned. (Wasn’t a 5 cat sub to begin with, hence the 3 cats.) I don’t dislike this rap piece. I’d have scored this lower in Walruses but 1994 is the correct year so I’ll let it pass.

LightWolf

Sei Frei - Fred Röttcher (Digimon Tamers German OST

THE PITCH: Tamers has the best songs for it's actions scenes(and this time includes a non evolution theme for Card Slashes, called Slash, just some trivia). This is the theme used for Evolution and Matrix Evolution, therefore being the centerpiece till the final arc when the Ultimate Matrix Evolution becomes a thing, therefore for the majority of the series this is the song you hear during fights. Has a kick ass solo, and when porting it into german, they clearly recorded every single case of the chorus to match the original rather than lazily pasting it over and over. Lyrics kick ass too, duh. I grew up with the german version so that's what you get. Everything else I could say, you can tell be listening to it. ENJOY.
THE PITCH made me realize the autotune. Good job. The german vocals and lyrics are incredibly amazing for an extra panda, but I’m afraid this song is nothing to write home (to digi-Germany) about.

Steven Snype

You're On - Madeon

Perhaps the autotune criteria was too easy, but fair enough. This song is catchy and enjoyable. Good stuff, but I’d have liked me some more pizzazz. I’ll barely give this one the high pitch extra cat, tone-adjusted male vocals will do. However, this is isn’t what I had in mind for this cat.

Aladyyn

Kanye West - Heartless

Aladyyn not sending metal is a surprise worth the hidden cat. Wow this amount of blatant autotune for the second cat. It’s nicely used as an ironic effect. The song itself doesn’t really cath on, although the lyrics are just the tiniest bit above average.

Lectrys

The concept to sell: Concert band music is practically its own genre and is well worth listening to. The exemplary song: This one. Festiva Jubiloso is my favourite concert band piece--it's full of exciting rhythms, it doesn't fit easily into other genres, and it never flags. If you want to cut past the spoken description on the MP3 version, skip to 0:06.
Festiva Jubiloso by David Holsinger

There’s always something innately surprising in Lectrys’ subs. This time however the piece was a little bit too heavy for me. I’d have needed multiple relistens to enjoy this piece adequately and didn’t have energy for it. Not accessible enough this time, but I agree that it’s varied and exciting.

Robert Alfons

Ground-Zero - Consume Red

OH NO ANOTHER 1-HOURER. Instant surprise cats. It is wrong to think that this is not music. There is no music-nonmusic scale, and even if there were, then pieces like this would just go sideways on it. I’m no stranger to music like this, because one of my friends is very much into antimusic like this (anti- in the meaning “alternative” instead of “opposite”). This is what divorce sounds like. I am listening to this at 6 am following an allnighter and I can feel my sanity draining away (22 minutes in). Kazoo nirvana. At 55 minutes atm. I have to grant this piece the high pitch cat as well. This song nailed the hidden cats so impossibly well that I have to give it 5 cats. I SURVIVED! Art for Walruses. See cat 2 Robert Alfons sub for more elaboration, but this one didn’t have nonabstract meaning or vocals. Would be worth 4 pandas but I’ll have to give a panda minus for torture. This is mind bleach.

Walrein

ATC - Around the World (Nightcore Mix)

(i can't believe you made me fucking send nightcore)
This is as stereotypical as nightcore goes. A classic pop/rock song with pitch shifted vocals and anime girls (how are they associated???). For Walrus purposes it’s basically impossible to get 5 walruses with nightcore because it’s so homogenous. A non-hentai video for 4 walruses. This genre is my guilty pleasure to go with bad esports games at 3am.

Lord Gaius

Oblivion by Grimes

Based on the album art I was expecting some Aladyyn-tier stuff. I was pleasantly surprised at the fluffiness of this song, but the surprise was so minor that I won’t count it for first hidden cat. Overall this song is light and airy and caused me to discover the high range of my rig, which was excellent for a bonus walrus. I initially thought this song were mediocre but it grew on me towards the end even though it is monotonous.

shubaka17

Die Young (Kesha) - Fan Animated Music Video - VivziePop

Kesha is autotune alright. This would have been a great sub for the furry cat. I know this piece (which is bad for the first hidden cat) and the animation is great every time. The song being sung by a werewolf adds more depth to the lyrics as well. Much pandering.

Final standings:

Congratulations to Granny Pie for winning Apocalypse Mafia 2! Expect your banner after DLE and LW's protests have been filed.

Best Walrus: These users have a superb taste in music.

Granny Pie (43 walruses)

Lectrys (42 walruses)

Walrein (40 Walreins)

Best Panda: These users are weeb homie bronies.

Granny Pie (44 pandas)

Lectrys (41 pandas)

Shubaka17 (40 pandas)

Best Cat: These users are confirmed both literate and telepathic.

LightWolf (51 cats)

Da Letter El (50 pandas)

Lectrys (49 cats)

Granny Pie (49 cats)

Thank you all for participating, I’m all burnt out on walruses now!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)