OU Aggron

bugmaniacbob and pk gaming: i'm pretty sure titles in the checks and counters section should be capitalised. the format doesn't explicitly say so, but Hazard Removal is capitalised (while Grass-types isn't)

as for your question pk gaming, i would change it, yeah

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
bugmaniacbob and pk gaming: i'm pretty sure titles in the checks and counters section should be capitalised. the format doesn't explicitly say so, but Hazard Removal is capitalised (while Grass-types isn't)
I don't know what the **words** bit actually translates to on the site, but presumably it isn't another tab header or a sub-heading, and as such I don't see why the ordinary GP conventions would not apply. Certainly it would look rather odd. But yes, some sort of clarification on this would be nice.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Alright, I checked through the analysis again and I think I addressed all of the current problems. I'll talk to SDS about what to do with the Checks & Counters when I catch up with him.

In the meantime... This is (hopefully) done.

Is there a reason that Dragon Tail is not mentioned anywhere? Aggron makes a great Parashuffler, as it can abuse Stealth Rock/Thunder Wave to spread damage and status throughout your opponent's team while still being able to get a decently hard hit in on most dragons. I understand that it may not be the most ideal choicesince it really wants the coverage to hit the things it tanks really hard, but I'd still think it at least deserves a spot in Other Options.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Aqua Tail should get a mention in the set details of the first set, as it's a great option on rain teams, covering Talonflame, Mamoswine, Gliscor, Landorus, Landorus-T, Excadrill, Terrakion, and more, all in one move. This way, you have more room for support options such as Thunder Wave, and can get away without using your Steel STAB move at all (pseudo-Water STAB). Actually, Aqua Tail + Superpower + SR + T-Wave / Roar is a very cool set to use on rain teams.

Wouldn't Avalanche clearly be the better choice over Ice Punch, since Mega Aggron almost always goes last? There are no notable slower targets hit SE by Ice Punch, so I could see it being better and even if the switch into a weak Avalanche, SE are still hit for a lot of damage thanks to Mega Aggron's great ATK. I find it being more useful over Ice Punch. Opinion?

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Avalanche only deals extra damage if the opponent damages Mega Aggron beforehand. That makes it comparatively worse against Ice-weak Pokemon that use non-attacking move (set up or support). It's negative priority doesn't let you capitalize on paralyzed Pokemon either.

Anyway, i'm going to work in Aqua Tail, as well as mention Bisharp (Mega Aggron is one of the only counters to it)

I skimmed through this thread and noticed that no one discussed the viability of Metal Burst. I'm very skeptical of it but such an incredibly sturdy tank could easily take advantage of this imo. It does seem very gimmicky, though, but I wanna hear your opinions on its viability.

I skimmed through this thread and noticed that no one discussed the viability of Metal Burst. I'm very skeptical of it but such an incredibly sturdy tank could easily take advantage of this imo. It does seem very gimmicky, though, but I wanna hear your opinions on its viability.
No? okay...

Enguarde

I only play ADV UU
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
For the set details on the tank variant would it be worth it mention moving sdef ev's into atk for a significant power boost rather than commenting on them being kind of useless dumped into defense? I'd also consider making Heavy Slam the first slash, considering its actually more powerful than iron head in quite a few cases, bar fattys like mamoswine, tyranitar and venusaur. Eg its 100 bp on Garchomp and Charizard, 120bp on landorus-t and mandibuzz.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
If you're skeptical of its viability then why even bring it up?

I guess I could mention it in OO.
For the set details on the tank variant would it be worth it mention moving sdef ev's into atk for a significant power boost rather than commenting on them being kind of useless dumped into defense? I'd also consider making Heavy Slam the first slash, considering its actually more powerful than iron head in quite a few cases, bar fattys like mamoswine, tyranitar and venusaur. Eg its 100 bp on Garchomp and Charizard, 120bp on landorus-t and mandibuzz.
Re: Attack EVs
Good point, i'll change it now.

Re: Heavy Slam
The lower BP against Mamoswine and Kyurem-B makes it a deal breaker. The extra BP against Garchomp, Landorus-T and Charizard is irrelevant, as the former 2 are hit harder by Ice Punch, and the latter resists it. I don't think the extra BP against Mandibuzz matters either, since it'll always beat Mega Aggron in a 1v1 matchup.

Encore!

Overview
########
Say hello to possibly the single greatest physical tank in the game. After Mega Evolving, Aggron gains a colossal boost to its physical defense, mono-Steel typing, and access to the ability Filter, a combination that lets it tank virtually any unboosted physical attack in the game. It has the tools to check a wide range of Pokemon and can support the team with Stealth Rock and Thunder Wave. Indeed, you can depend on it to check nearly every physical attacker, and even a few special attackers, as long as it's healthy. Unfortunately, there are a few drawbacks to using Mega Aggron. It has no access to recovery moves (with the exception of Rest) or Leftovers, so it can quickly get worn down. Worse still, Aggron has to take a turn to Mega Evolve before it can become useful. All in all, when used correctly, Mega Aggron is a top-notch physically defensive tank with the means to take on some of the most powerful Pokemon in the tier.

Tank
########
name: Tank
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Iron Head / Heavy Slam
move 3: Ice Punch / Thunder Wave
move 4: Earthquake / Rock Slide
ability: Sturdy
item: Aggronite
evs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD
nature: Relaxed

Moves
========

Mega Aggron's bulk, ability, and typing give it plenty of opportunities to set up Stealth Rock. The choice of STAB comes down to power versus consistency; Iron Head deals consistent damage, whereas Heavy Slam dishes out greater damage to lighter targets. Garchomp, for instance, will be hit by a 100 Base Power Heavy Slam. Unfortunately, Heavy Slam misses out on crucial 2HKOs against Terrakion, Mamoswine, Kyurem-B, and Tyranitar. Ice Punch deals significant damage to the 4x Ice-weak Pokemon such as Gliscor, Landorus, Garchomp, Dragonite) and prevents them from taking advantage of Mega Aggron. It also makes Mega Aggron one of the best checks to Dragon-types in the tier. Thunder Wave, on the other hand, is one of Mega Aggron's most useful supporting tools. As Mega Aggron's immense bulk and Filter ability make it difficult to OHKO, it can easily paralyze offensive Pokemon that are matched up against it. The last slot is dedicated to secondary coverage; Earthquake takes care of prominent Pokemon who are weak to Ground, such as Aegislash, Excadrill, and Heatran (as well as Tyranitar and Terrakion if Heavy Slam is used). Rock Slide lets it beat down Talonflame and Volcarona, but it has limited coverage outside of these Pokemon. Superpower targets Air Balloon Excadrill and most Pokemon that are weak to Earthquake. It also alleviates Heavy Slam's primary drawback of being unable to do significant damage to the likes of Tyranitar, Mamoswine, Kyurem-B, and Terrakion. Fire Punch can be used to crush Ferrothorn and Forretress, preventing them from setting up on Mega Aggron too. Aqua Tail is worth considering when paired with rain support, as it allows Mega Aggron to cover a wide variety of Pokemon.

Set Details
========
A Relaxed nature is chosen for two reasons. First, it ensures that Aggron is slower than Aegislash, and can thus attack it while it is in Blade forme. Secondly, it takes advantage of Mega Aggron's incredible Defense, while the EV spread patches up its unimpressive Special Defense stat while hitting a jump point in Defense. Alternatively, maximizing its investment in Defense can make it even stronger on the physical side, but it's not very noticeable due to an already high base Defense stat. You can invest in Attack to make Mega Aggron noticeably more threatening. (notably, it can OHKO Garchomp with Ice Punch)

Usage Tips
========

You should look for the earliest opportunity to Mega Evolve Aggron, as it has trouble switching into battle. Bringing it in via U-turn, Volt Switch, or after a KO is your best bet at giving it a chance to Mega Evolve. After you have successfully gotten it to Mega Evolve, you can use it to check virtually any physical attacker and spread paralysis when the opportunity presents itself. Note that Mega Aggron lacks any form of healing outside of Wish support, so careless switching should be avoided. If hazards are up, it's probably not a good idea to switch Mega Aggron into a potential U-turn, unless you have no choice. That being said, don't make the mistake of using Mega Aggron conservatively. This variant of Mega Aggron isn't built to last past the midgame, so you should switch into the Pokemon that it can handle and spread paralysis whenever possible.

The coverage move chosen has a significant effect on how Mega Aggron is played. By choosing Earthquake, you prevent the likes of Aegislash, Excadrill, and Heatran from freely switching into Mega Aggron and setting up all over it, so you don't have to worry about these Pokemon as much (in fact, Mega Aggron can even check Aegislash in a pinch). On the other hand, Rock Slide provides Mega Aggron with a means of actually hurting Talonflame, which is useful as Bulk Up variants can actually set up on Mega Aggron. Running Rock Slide also prevents bulky variants of Volcarona from freely switching in and setting up.

Team Options
========

Sylveon is a great partner, as it has it has solid offensive and defensive synergy with Mega Aggron. Mega Aggron can check some of the Steel-types Pokemon that counter Sylveon, and in return, Sylveon can ward off stronger special attackers and heal Aggron with Wish. Togekiss functions similarly as a partner to Mega Aggron, with the added benefit of being immune to Ground-type attacks and being able to spread paralysis. Dragon-types in general make for decent offensive partners, mainly because they love Mega Aggron's ability to deal with Fairies and opposing Dragons. In return, they can somewhat check Mega Aggron's counters.

Mega Aggron also appreciates Rapid Spin support. As it completely lacks recovery, teams that employ entry hazards can wear it down simply by switching, so a Rapid Spin or Defog user both work for this, but Rapid Spin is preferred due to its ability to keep Mega Aggron's team's own entry hazards on the field. Excadrill and Starmie are both reliable Rapid Spinners, but Starmie is an overall better choice due to its ability to better check Mega Aggron's counters.

Mega Aggron is capable of luring out and either defeating or crippling the likes of Gliscor and Landorus-T, so Pokemon who are checked by the aforementioned Pokemon appreciate its presence. Some of these Pokemon include Terrakion, Lucario, Dragonite, and Garchomp. Mega Aggron is at an inherent disadvantage against teams that employ a fast user of Stealth Rock or Taunt, such as Deoxys-S or Terrakion, so a teammate that can check these threats is recommended. Sableye is good for this as its priority Taunt can stop these Pokemon in their tracks, and Mega Aggron can fall back on Sableye's Fighting immunity.

RestTalk
########
name: RestTalk
move 1: Rest
move 2: Sleep Talk
move 3: Iron Head / Heavy Slam
move 4: Earthquake / Ice Punch
ability: Sturdy
item: Aggronite
evs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD
nature: Relaxed

Moves
========

Rest heals off any damage that Mega Aggron incurs throughout the match, while Sleep Talk still lets it keep up the offensive pressure with its attacking moves. Iron Head is a standard STAB move, it deals decent damage when backed by Mega Aggron's stellar Attack stat. As always, Heavy Slam is an option over Iron Head for more power against heavier Pokemon at the cost of consistency. The last slot is dedicated to coverage; Earthquake takes care of Aegislash and Heatran, whereas Ice Punch lets it deal significant damage to both Landorus formes, Gliscor, Garchomp, and Dragonite.

Coverage moves that aren't listed in the main set, such as Fire Punch, Rock Slide, or Superpower, can be used depending on what Pokemon your team has more trouble with. Alternatively, Curse can be used as a means of boosting Mega Aggron's already high Defense to even more incomprehensibly high levels. That said, Curse turns into Mega Aggron into a mono-attacker, so support from teammates to deal with Pokemon that resist Steel-type attacks is more than welcome. Dragon Tail or Roar can be used to shuffle opposing Pokemon; both moves have their advantages (dealing damage versus forcing out Substitute users) but they both come at the cost of an important moveslot.

Set Details
========

The nature and EV spread address Mega Aggron's low Special Defense, while still giving Mega Aggron a sizable boost to its physical Defense. A Relaxed nature ensures that Mega Aggron is always slower than Aegislash.

Usage Tips
========

This set focuses on long-term walling with the Rest and Sleep Talk combination. By fixing Mega Aggron's greatest downside, a lack of recovery, it makes Mega Aggron extremely difficult to take down. Unfortunately, Mega Aggron has fewer moves to work with, so it won't be able to take on as many Pokemon on its own. Use it to counter or check physical attackers, and rely on teammates to deal with the Pokemon it can't beat. This variant of Mega Aggron is better suited on defensive teams, so forming defensive cores with it is recommended. While RestTalk provides Mega Aggron with a means of sticking around, it must forgo its best supporting moves.

Team Options
========

Rotom-W can deal with virtually all of Mega Aggron's counters, and can provide it with a means of switching into battle via Volt Switch. Sylveon also works well here because it has solid synergy with Mega Aggron; Mega Aggron can check some of the Pokemon that counter Sylveon, and in return, Sylveon can ward off strong special attackers, heal Aggron with Wish, and cure Mega Aggron of sleep with Heal Bell. Blissey also works as an alternative user of Wish or Heal Bell, and its enormous Special Defense lets it counter nearly any special attacker. Mono-attacking Mega Aggron is completely defenseless against Fire-types and other Pokemon that resist Steel-type moves in general, so it appreciates support from the aforementioned Rotom-W.

Other Options
########

Aggron doesn't have much in the way of other options. Mega Aggron can opt to use a more offensively inclined Rock Polish sweeping set. Unfortunately, its utter lack of wallbreaking ability makes it a subpar sweeper. If you prefer Aggron's base form, then the classic Choice Band Head Smash is an option, though Aggron's low Speed and awful typing makes it a liability. Metal Burst can be used to take down opposing Pokemon who don't come close to OHKOing Mega Aggron. Unfortunately, it's unreliable and it comes at the cost of a move slot.

Checks & Counters
########

**Physical Walls**: Defensive Pokemon that don't particularly care about Mega Aggron's attacks are good counters. Hippowdon can effortlessly switch into Mega Aggron, wall it, and beat it with repeated uses of Earthquake. Skarmory, Forretress, and Ferrothorn can shrug off all of Mega Aggron's moves (though the latter two must watch out for Fire Punch) and freely set up entry hazards on it.

**Bulky Water-types**: Bulky Water-types can sponge just about anything Mega Aggron throws at them, and wear it down with their Water-type moves or even potentially burn it with Scald. Pokemon in this category include Rotom-W, Vaporeon, Gastrodon, and Politoed.

**Physical Attackers With Super Effective Moves**: Countering Mega Aggron with offensively inclined Pokemon can prove a bit challenging due to its incredible defenses and access to Earthquake and Ice Punch. Garchomp, Excadrill, Landorus-T, and physical Lucario can take it out, but only if it has been weakened to the point where their STAB moves can OHKO it (40%-60% HP range). Otherwise, it can threaten each of them with either Earthquake or Ice Punch.

**Special Attackers**: Generally speaking, special attackers that hit hard or have a super effective coverage move will come out on top against Mega Aggron. Gengar, Thundurus, and Alakazam can use Focus Blast to deal significant damage to Mega Aggron. Keldeo and Reuniclus can effortlessly set up on Mega Aggron and threaten it and its teammates with their powered-up special attacks.

**Fire- and Ground-type Special Attackers**: These are among the only Pokemon in the game that can take out Mega Aggron in one strike. Landorus can switch into the majority of Mega Aggron's attacks and completely decimate it with Earth Power. Heatran is a premier counter, but it must take care not to switch into Earthquake or Thunder Wave. Volcarona can flat-out OHKO Mega Aggron with Fire Blast, but it should be wary of the rare Rock Slide.
You mentioned Aegislash, and naturing Aggron to be slower...Wouldn't just running Impish+Dragon Tail be more convenient? You're not sacrificing any speed against other threats, and Dragon Tail will still have negative priority to go last and hit Aegislash in Blade Forme (though causing low damage due to Aegislash resisting it). It also forces Aegislash out, thus rendering Swords Dance Aegislash's boosts useless. I like that better than just making Mega Aggron just as slow as possible.

Okay, so after playing around with this thing for a while, I'm really starting to wonder if a mixed EV spread like this is even worth it. Even with a lot of investment, 70 / 80 special bulk can only take you so far. It's still taking a lot of damage from even neutral special attacks (Aegislash has a 41% chance to 2HKO with Shadow Ball after Stealth Rock with no boosting item, for example). With only RestTalk for recovery and no Leftovers, Mega Aggron won't be tanking many special attacks even with a lot of investment. The mixed spread also compromises Mega Aggron's physical bulk, which is, in my opinion, Mega Aggron's single greatest characteristic. I think a mixed or specially defensive spread still deserves a mention since it is viable, but I'd like to suggest that the main spread be changed to a physically defensive one. Mega Aggron's fully invested physical bulk is ridiculous beyond words, pulling off feats such as turning Scarf Garchomp's Earthquake into a 4HKO, avoiding a 2HKO from LO Terrakion's Close Combat ~97% of the time, and being only 2HKOed by Adamant CB Talonflame's Flare Blitz 0.4% of the time after Stealth Rock. With the right moves, Mega Aggron can check just about any physical threat with full investment. The fact that it can reduce so many physical attacks to such low damage also makes RestTalk a bit more reliable, which is a plus. But yeah, the more I played with this guy, the more I wanted to just go all out on the physical bulk and just avoid special attacks instead of trying to tank them while hurting Mega Aggron's jaw dropping physical bulk.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
252 Atk Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 126-150 (36.6 - 43.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 Atk Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 114-135 (33.1 - 39.2%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO

252 SpA Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Aggron: 157-186 (45.6 - 54%) -- 45.3% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Mega Aggron: 121-144 (35.1 - 41.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Mega aggron's special defense is poor, but, the improvement with max investment is so little, I dont feel like its worth it. Max phys def takes hits better than the current spread by ~10%, while the current spread takes special hits ~30% better. It's just so much more optimal and makes Aggron far less exploitable..

Okay, so after playing around with this thing for a while, I'm really starting to wonder if a mixed EV spread like this is even worth it. Even with a lot of investment, 70 / 80 special bulk can only take you so far. It's still taking a lot of damage from even neutral special attacks (Aegislash has a 41% chance to 2HKO with Shadow Ball after Stealth Rock with no boosting item, for example). With only RestTalk for recovery and no Leftovers, Mega Aggron won't be tanking many special attacks even with a lot of investment. The mixed spread also compromises Mega Aggron's physical bulk, which is, in my opinion, Mega Aggron's single greatest characteristic. I think a mixed or specially defensive spread still deserves a mention since it is viable, but I'd like to suggest that the main spread be changed to a physically defensive one. Mega Aggron's fully invested physical bulk is ridiculous beyond words, pulling off feats such as turning Scarf Garchomp's Earthquake into a 4HKO, avoiding a 2HKO from LO Terrakion's Close Combat ~97% of the time, and being only 2HKOed by Adamant CB Talonflame's Flare Blitz 0.4% of the time after Stealth Rock. With the right moves, Mega Aggron can check just about any physical threat with full investment. The fact that it can reduce so many physical attacks to such low damage also makes RestTalk a bit more reliable, which is a plus. But yeah, the more I played with this guy, the more I wanted to just go all out on the physical bulk and just avoid special attacks instead of trying to tank them while hurting Mega Aggron's jaw dropping physical bulk.
The full physical set has been far more effective for me. Mega Aggron has been very good (but not "great") for me as long as I use it in the right spots. I run:

Aggron @Aggronite
Impish Nature
252 HP 252 DEF 4 ATK
Iron Head
Dragon Tail
Thunder Wave
Stealth Rock

The biggest weakness for me is the lack of recovery. It's a pain in the ass sometimes. All "defensive" megas have this problem except for mons like Mega Venusaur who can run Synthesis. I generally dislike RestTalk as a strategy so I don't run it with Mega Aggron.

WECAMEASROMANS

Banned deucer.
PK Gaming, I believe that Mega Aggron's EV spread should be changed. Currently, you have 252 hp/16 def/240 spdef relaxed as the recommended spread, but i've been doing some extensive testing and running a lot of calcs lately, and I'm pretty sure 252 hp/252 def relaxed is the way to go. For instance, with a 252 hp/16 def relaxed nature, Mega Aggron is 2HKOed by ALL of the following (and these are the most prominent physical attackers in the tier):

+2 252 Atk Mega Pinsir Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 160-189 (46.5 - 54.9%) -- 62.1% chance to 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Dragonite Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 159-187 (46.2 - 54.3%) -- 54.3% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 159-189 (46.2 - 54.9%) -- 56.6% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 152-181 (44.1 - 52.6%) -- 18.4% chance to 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Mega Aggron: 156-185 (45.3 - 53.7%) -- 41.4% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 163-195 (47.3 - 56.6%) -- 85.2% chance to 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Fire Fang vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 172-204 (50 - 59.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 164-195 (47.6 - 56.6%) -- 85.9% chance to 2HKO

As you can see, all of these physical attackers are pretty common, so defeating them is a must. But with your current EV spread, you get 2hkoed by all of them, which is not ideal. By switching to a spread of 252 hp/252 def relaxed, you get a much higher boost in defense, allowing you to avoid the 2hko in all of the previous scenarios, then ko/2hko them in return, making you almost damn unbreakable on the physical side. Here are the same calcs, but this time its with a 252 hp/252 def relaxed nature:

+2 252 Atk Mega Pinsir Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 144-169 (41.8 - 49.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252+ Atk Dragonite Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 142-168 (41.2 - 48.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 141-168 (40.9 - 48.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 135-160 (39.2 - 46.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Aggron: 140-165 (40.6 - 47.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 148-175 (43 - 50.8%) -- 2.3% chance to 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Fire Fang vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 154-183 (44.7 - 53.1%) -- 28.9% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 148-175 (43 - 50.8%) -- 3.1% chance to 2HKO

These guys all fail to 2hko mega aggron, and then get damaged heavily by iron head/ice punch/rock slide/earthquake in the process, so Mega Aggron always wins the 1 on 1 matchup. Honestly, I think you just glanced at its massive defense stat, and thought, "oh its physical bulk is like chansey's special bulk, and no one ever invests in that, so investing in its weaker special defense must be the best option." I don't think this is a fair comparison at all, because lets face it, our current OU metagame is predominantly physical based. Chansey doesnt have to invest in special defense because the strongest special attack it has to take is probably a Mega Charizard Y's fire blast in the sun or something. Physical attackers, on the other hand, are everywhere. And what's worse, many of them have coverage options that hit Mega Aggron for super effective damage (since steel is the premier defensive type, you pretty much HAVE to have a way to get past steels if you want to be good), so 252 hp/252 def is definitely the way to go to take these hits better.

And also, besides Aegislash's shadow ball and heatran's lava plume, what special attacks are you supposed to tank anyway? Both Aegislash and heatran are ohkoed by earthquake regardless, so its whatever, really.

Last edited:

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Fire Punch can be used to crush Ferrothorn and Forretress, preventing them from setting up on Mega Aggron too.
Since Forretress is UU at the moment, you think you can just replace Forretress with Scizor since Mega Aggron with Fire Punch REALLY shits on any Scizor set?

PK Gaming

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)