Air Force One

Introduction:
Merry Christmas Smogon! To those who don't know me, I'm brawlfest, and this is my fifth NU RMT, Air Force One. This new team is built around Swellow, a absolute threat, packing one of the hardest hitting moves in the metagame, alongside an amazing base speed, being able to outspeed the majority of the unboosted NU. However, I do feel it is being overshadowed by Zangoose, whom has better coverage, and thus is causing Swellow to gain less use across NU. But I say fuck that. The simple speed of Swellow plus dual STAB inables it to sweep any team which has only a bit prior damage. Currently im sitting at ACRE:1961, which while isn't my best, it does represent what this team can do on the ladder. I'm not done laddering, and will continue to climb with this team! I've also placed Banded Primeape in the team, whom often is overshadowed by ScarfApe and BandSawk, but Banded Primeape is truly the best. A mad monkey hitting like a truck, as well as bugging in and out to gain momentum just makes for one of the coolest experiences in the NU tier period. So, happy holidays, and here is the team!

The Team:

Final Word
Swellow @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Facade
- Quick Attack
- U-turn

The best. The strongest. The air force one. She has the final word in every game. Sure, she has her downsides, being walled by rock types and steel types, but thats what friends are there for! Outside of that, she runs through a team relentlessly. Base 125 speed is more than most of NU can handle, and with a pseudo-choice band equipped, Swellow just fights like a monster. Toxic + STAB + Guts Façade shouldn't exist. It is so broken. If that isn't enough, you have STAB priority, access to Brave Bird to hit ghosts harder than anything you've ever seen, and an amazing priority to revenge kill annoying scarfers like Primeapes and Jynx, which die to 1-2 of them with ease once the orb is activated. Although it has recently been dropping in usage due to the ladders belief that rocks are too abundant, I say fuck that. Primeape, Golurk, and Ludicolo wreck them to dust, and Swellow comes in and makes the opponent shut up. There is nothing the opponent can do once their checks are brought to nigh 25%, as all they can do is watch Swellow blitz through a team. Truly one of the best sweepers, wallbreakers, revenge killers, it fills so many roles, and brings them together perfectly.

Minaj
Jynx @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Dry Skin
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Trick
- Lovely Kiss / Focus Blast

Nicki is hella good. I tried to explain how good it is, but I can't oversell her enough. She is one of the tiers most prominent scarfers, with quite an attitude as well. While she falls to priority extremely easily, when utilized well she is a complete monster. The epidemy of the set lies in trick, an amazing way to shut down things such as Alomomola and Lickilicky, rendering them useless in the future of the battle. She also provides our team a check to rain teams, allowing us to absorb water type attacks, cripple opponents, and gain health as we go. Ice Beam is our primary STAB, efficiently pulling out 2HKO's and 3HKO's even on it's checks and counters e.g. Skunky. Psychic while is stronger, Psyshock helps to OHKO roselia, which sometimes has the balls to stay in and absorb our Lovely Kiss. Finally, our last slot demonstrates either Lovely Kiss or Focus Blast. Focus Blast allows us to eliminate Rocks and Steels which tend to switch into Nicki, which allows us to bait em' in and kill em'. However, Lovely Kiss is preferred, as while being locked into sleep may be stupid, you only need to hit one and switch out, as in the 5th Gen NU metagame, sleep is essentially an OHKO, helping my team remove any pokemon for the rest of the match in a single click.

RITALIN
Primeape @ Choice Band
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch / Earthquake
- Stone Edge / Punishment
- U-turn

MAD APE NEEDS RITALIN OR IT RUNS THROUGH YOUR TEAM AND ITS GG SO GET SOME RITALIN AND YOU STILL LOSE TO SWELLOW SO HAH. But yeah. Banded Primeape is a fucking monster. Fuck scarfape. Nobody needs that speed when you can have the raw power. With a Primeape + Swellow core, which acts like a fake "Dual Band" core, near no NU team can withstand the raw power. They eliminate each others checks perfectly, leaving a wake of distruction in one of their two hands. While many people may say that CB Sawk fits better to beat Stealth Rockers for Swellow, Primeape outclasses it due to U-Turn, which allows me to activate Swellow's orb safely against forced switches safely, which makes it all the more worth it. Close Combat comes standard, and Ice Punch + Stone Edge round out the coverage. Punishment is my option to beat CM Mush, allowing me to decimate it after two or three calm minds with ease due to my amazing band. Earthquake is also a unique move I like to run, to beat Skunk and Garbodor with ease. Finally, Vital Spirit is my Sleep preventor, allowing me to switch in, and u-turn out, gaining momentum against things such as Offensive Pivot Roselia and Non-Scarf Jynx (In a speed tie).

Deodorant
Skuntank @ Dark Gem / Lum Berry
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 Atk / 176 SDef / 80 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Poison Jab
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Taunt

Skuntank is well known as the bane of psychics and ghosts in the NU tier, creating shenanigans in predictions of Pursuit and Sucker Punch, making for fast paced, exciting games while assassinating the two types that create major issues for my team. However, it's role is not only in eliminating Psychics and Ghosts but also in beating out sweepers with it's powerful priority. Dark Gem boosted Sucker Punch is crazy overpowered, dealing massive damage to the even strongest pokemon in the tier. A Lum Berry is my second option, helping me beat Pivot Mush and Standard Jynx, helping me avoid crippling statuses. Dark Gem Pursuit is even cooler, dealing near 80% to Musharna, making my primary sweepers lives that much easier. I love this set so much. Poison Jab also aids my team not only giving Skunk a way to consistently deal damage, but it also helps Skunk spread pressure building status in a haxxy manner. Taunt is the crux of the set, ensuring Mush will have to switch, while keeping rocks off of the field for Swellow.

Piña Colada
Piña Colada (Ludicolo) @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Rain Dance
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam

Ludicolo is a fucking boss. If I didn't have this cutey, I would have no way to deal with Sun Teams, who run through this team otherwise with Solar Power and Chlorophyll abuse. Not anymore. Ludicolo demonstrates Weather Control in NU, setting Rain up efficiently, and sweeping relentlessly with it through the use of Swift Swim, boosting Ludicolo to speeds most scarfers don't dare to touch. This mexican duck is often used as a joke in the Anime, but in reality it leaves me laughing and the opponent spread over the ground unmoving. Rain + Life Orb Hydro Pump is unreasonably powerful, 2HKOing Lickilicky, one of the best Special Walls in NU, demonstrating Ludicolo's sheer power. Giga Drain helps me balance out life orb damage, and acts as a secondary STAB. Finally, Ice beam rounds out the coverage, even having a chance to 2HKO Roselia. Insane power and weather control makes Ludicolo my number one choice for a sweeper, with minimal setup which offers it nasty power, and brutal speed.

CATerpillar
Golem @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 200 HP / 56 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch / Toxic

Thank you Dat Blast for helping me replace Golurk with Golem. It has been a miracle worker, switching into Flying moves which haunt the rest of my team, as well as putting a hard stop to volt switch shenanigans. More priority is always a plus, and on top of that I still keep my stealth rocks. All and all Golem is an amazing fit, switching into pokemon such as opposing Swellow or Zangoose, and getting off a hit or two before dying. It also packs an amazing EdgeQuake STAB, utilizing Earthquake as a reliable hard hitting attack in unison with Rock Blast to hit through substitute and decimate stupid Ninjasks. It still gets a nice lead matchup against a large portion of the tier, and is outstanding at supporting it's team. Sturdy is especially helpful, but Sawk can be a pain, but can be dealt with by other members of the team. Toxic helps if you want to beat Tangela and Alomomola who love switching into our moves, and also helps us cripple threats which the other members of my team are incapable of, but Sucker Punch's priority is sometimes a little too good to forego!

Outro:
Thank you for reading my 4th NU RMT. I hope you've enjoyed, and have tons of feedback, and enjoy using it as much as I have. Feel free to test the team yourself with the importable below! Enjoy, and Happy Holidays to everybody! :)
The Final Word (Swellow) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Facade
- Quick Attack
- U-turn

Minaj (Jynx) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Trick
- Lovely Kiss

Muhammad Ali (Primeape) @ Choice Band
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Spd
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Deodorant (Skuntank) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 Atk / 176 SDef / 80 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Poison Jab
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Taunt

Piña Colada (Ludicolo) @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Rain Dance
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam

CATerpillar (Golem) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 200 HP / 56 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Last edited:

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The ironic part is that Swellow can pretty easily wreck this team itself, along with other Normal- and Flying-types like Kangaskhan and Braviary, because you have zero resists and not-so-reliable ways of checking them. Skuntank can also give your team troubles aside from maybe Primeape who can't switch directly into Poison Jab. Using Golem over Golurk can fix this problem pretty easily because it pretty much owns all of these threats while still providing you with a Volt Switch absorber.

Of course, by losing Golurk you lose your Fighting resistance, so I would recommend using Nasty Plot Misdreavus over Ludicolo to solve that problem while still providing you with a decently powerful bulkyish special sweeper. Will-O-Wisp variants in particular can quickly neuter threats like Sawk while providing good support in general and catching threats to your team (Swellow, Skuntank) off guard with Thunderbolt and WoW.

Golem @ Leftovers / Lum Berry
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Misdreavus @ Eviolite
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp

The ironic part is that Swellow can pretty easily wreck this team itself, along with other Normal- and Flying-types like Kangaskhan and Braviary, because you have zero resists and not-so-reliable ways of checking them. Skuntank can also give your team troubles aside from maybe Primeape who can't switch directly into Poison Jab. Using Golem over Golurk can fix this problem pretty easily because it pretty much owns all of these threats while still providing you with a Volt Switch absorber.

Of course, by losing Golurk you lose your Fighting resistance, so I would recommend using Nasty Plot Misdreavus over Ludicolo to solve that problem while still providing you with a decently powerful bulkyish special sweeper. Will-O-Wisp variants in particular can quickly neuter threats like Sawk while providing good support in general and catching threats to your team (Swellow, Skuntank) off guard with Thunderbolt and WoW.

Golem @ Leftovers / Lum Berry
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Misdreavus @ Eviolite
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
Golem fits a lot better in that spot! Thank you! However, I am worried about losing offensive pressure on the switch to MissyD, if I remove Ludicolo, as I will lack a backup sweeper. That being said, I don't think it would be bad attempting to run it over Skuntank, as it fares decently against psychics as well, although lack of trapping is an issue.

either way, I am going to switch to golem most likely after a bit of testing. TY Dat Blast

*EDIT*
4 Games in and I'm not turnin back. Golem is a wonderful replacement in that spot, however I've decided to keep both Skuntank and Ludicolo, as Misdreavus really doesn't patch major holes my team has. Thank you again Dat Blast

Last edited:
Jynx's nickname is incredibly unoriginal. Other than that this is a highly competent, if somewhat vanilla, team, although I agree with you that Banded Primeape is a very underrated threat. Of course I expect nothing less.

Last edited:

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Like Dat Blast pointed out, replacing Golurk means you're now incredibly weak to Fighting-types because you've got nothing to take them. Replacing Ludicolo with Nasty Plot Misdreavus is probably the best way to go because it can sweep as well as have a typing that suits your team better. On the other hand, Ludicolo may be faster after setup but defensively leaves your team much weaker. So i suggest you give Missy a try. If you're looking for something faster, you can try CM Drifblim with Destiny Bond to lure in Steel- or Rock-types and kill them. It doesn't do as good a job as Missy at checking Fighting-types but at least it gives you something to take them while being faster than Missy and having decent offensive synergy with Swellow.

Like Dat Blast pointed out, replacing Golurk means you're now incredibly weak to Fighting-types because you've got nothing to take them. Replacing Ludicolo with Nasty Plot Misdreavus is probably the best way to go because it can sweep as well as have a typing that suits your team better. On the other hand, Ludicolo may be faster after setup but defensively leaves your team much weaker. So i suggest you give Missy a try. If you're looking for something faster, you can try CM Drifblim with Destiny Bond to lure in Steel- or Rock-types and kill them. It doesn't do as good a job as Missy at checking Fighting-types but at least it gives you something to take them while being faster than Missy and having decent offensive synergy with Swellow.
I'll have to give misdreavus more of a try, but as of now I just can't seam to let Ludicolo go, but I'll see. How does everybody feel about placing Metang in that spot? I've tested it and found it rather enjoyable but I'd like to see everybody elses opinions..

With all that I still don't get this tier...

If you switch Ludicolo with Metang you will have only 1 special attacker: if you're ok with that it could be a good change. But it's also true that you can maybe stop a fighting type by using your Ludicolo and its Hydro-Pump, so... It depends on what you want to do: if you want to play it more defensively, then go for Metang: if not, stick with Ludicolo ;)

With all that I still don't get this tier...

If you switch Ludicolo with Metang you will have only 1 special attacker: if you're ok with that it could be a good change. But it's also true that you can maybe stop a fighting type by using your Ludicolo and its Hydro-Pump, so... It depends on what you want to do: if you want to play it more defensively, then go for Metang: if not, stick with Ludicolo ;)
I meant Metang > Golem, sorry if I wasn't clear!

To save space and not post anymore, Im running standard offensive utility which can be found on smogon with 252 Adamant Atk rather than HP.

Last edited:
Mmm, ok. I think this change could be good for you, then: they both can set up hazard, but Metang has better Def thanks to Eviolite as well as way better Sp.Def. Surely Golem is a better attacker, but you've already got Swellow and Primeape, so you won't miss Golem much on that side. You "gain" a weakness to fire, though, and you're not completely safe from Fight types (but Metang should be able to tank even the hardest hitter, and strikes back with a Zen Headbutt).

I think it could be very good. What movepool are you running on it? :)

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I don't think you should go with Metang. Golem has a Ground typing so you can absorb Volt Switch and beats Flying-types and SubBU Braviary just as good, if not better, than Metang. Metang does give you a Jynx counter, but IMO its not very worth it sacrificing an Electric immunity.

I gave your team a swing and it was pretty good. But once Jynx is trapped by opposing Skuntank, Scarf Sawk can destroy your anus. While Skuntank is a really valuable member in your team, I think Scolipede won't disappoint you.Moreover the additional hazards could get you some KOes. Bulky spikes or Sub-Salac could punish the Sawk for Spamming CC.

Scolipede @ Black Sludge
Trait: Swarm
Evs: 248 HP/ 36 Atk/ 56 Def/ 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
~ Spikes
~ Toxic Spikes
~ Megahorn
~ Aqua Tail

OR

Scolipede @ Salac Berry
Evs: 252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 Def
Jolly/ Adamant
IVs: 30 HP
~ Swords Dance
~ Substitute
~ Megahorn
~ Baton Pass

I gave your team a swing and it was pretty good. But once Jynx is trapped by opposing Skuntank, Scarf Sawk can destroy your anus. While Skuntank is a really valuable member in your team, I think Scolipede won't disappoint you.Moreover the additional hazards could get you some KOes. Bulky spikes or Sub-Salac could punish the Sawk for Spamming CC.

Scolipede @ Black Sludge
Evs: 248 HP/ 36 Atk/ 56 Def/ 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
~ Spikes
~ Toxic Spikes
~ Megahorn
~ Aqua Tail

OR

Scolipede @ Salac Berry
Evs: 252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 Def
Jolly/ Adamant
IVs: 30 HP
~ Swords Dance
~ Substitute
~ Megahorn
~ Baton Pass
Very interesting suggestion, although tbh there isn't much I can safely baton pass to with Scolipede due to it's massive team in Tandem with my teams sheer weak defenses. I love the idea though and will be sure to test it. One problem I do have is 3 Pokemon weak to rocks, which can be overwhelming to me in many cases, but I do enjoy the suggestin and will be sure to look into it! Ty Volcaronaaa

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)