Almost Any Ability Creative/Underrated Sets Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Lucarios are physical and i see many people say physical lucario is great,But i disagree.

@ Choice Specs
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Arua Sphere
- Dragon Pulse/Water Pulse
- Dark Pulse

Oh God this thing is Amazing. Lucario is common but normally physical but i would say that special lucario is far better.This thing does an absurd amount damage to anything. Lucario some how gets all the pulse/aura moves that mega launcher works with(except orgin pulse).This is a pretty simple set that just does a lot of damage and i would like to see it used more often.Choice specs could be removed for choice scarf for bonus speed but less damage.

Problems: Easily Out sped but that's pretty much it.

Overall:Powerful pokemon that i think should be recognized.
Nice set, but you can't deny refrigerate lucario is good.

Most Lucarios are physical and i see many people say physical lucario is great,But i disagree.

@ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Arua Sphere
- Dark Pulse

Oh God this thing is Amazing. Lucario is common but normally physical but i would say that special lucario is far better.This thing does an absurd amount damage to anything. Lucario some how gets all the pulse/aura moves that mega launcher works with(except orgin pulse).This is a pretty simple set that just does a lot of damage and i would like to see it used more often.Choice specs could be removed for choice scarf for bonus speed but less damage.

Mega Launcher is Lucario's most common ability.

Reactions: MZ

Here's another set that i think is underrated but completely awesome.

@ Focus Sash/Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Spa / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Energy Ball/Psychic/Shadow Ball/Signal Beam
- Ice Beam

This Thing gets a lot options with sheer force which is awesome!If you can set up a tail glow you'll do massive damage to anything with moves like scald,ice beam,energy ball and psychic.The focus sash makes sure you get a tail glow off and if your feeling risky go for the life orb.You won't be able to take a free hit but you'll do extra damage without the recoil!I don't see many people using this pokemon or the sheer force ability for some reason even though sheer force is a great ability.This thing can sweep entire teams very easily.

Problems: Manaphy can be out sped by a lot of pokemon scarfed or not.Focus sash won't protect from the some what rare multi hit attacking pokemon.But that's about it for this thing's problems.

Overall:Fantastic sweeper and that happy smile from manaphy is something you don't want coming at you.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/almostanyability-209487171
I just tried out Manaphy. This thing is a beast.

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD (run jolly if you want to pursuit trap more things)
Adamant Nature
- Taunt
- Pursuit
- Fire Punch/Stone Edge/Crunch/Earthquake
- Stealth Rock/Stone Edge/Crunch/Earthquake

Nothing all that special at first galnce, just a prankster taunt mon, but when you look at it more, it really is amazing. Deoxys-S is now pretty much the most reliable lead in the meta, notorious for getting up "guaranteed hazards" throughout matches. Not any more; by leading with this tyranitar, you can prankster taunt it, then pursuit as it switches out, and reliably set up rocks some time in the match with the prankster (deoxys-s teams dont run defog), and just like that, a huge thorn in your ass gets pulled out. The thing about Tyranitar is, its use doesn't just run out there; it's a fantastic all around pursuit trapper that traps things like victini and latios, which can really be annoying if you don't have something like ph umbreon or flash fire gliscor do deal with them. This thing can also stop sun in its tracks, by use of sand stream and that insane bulk that allows it to tank heatran's eruptions and proceed to hit it with a powerful attack or pursuit trap it as it tries to switch out. Oh, and one last thing: do you get annoyed when braviary suddenly comes in and ruins your potential sweep? With any prediction or sacrifices, your opponent can say hi to Tyranitar can come in and deal 70% damage with pursuit + brave bird recoil + pursuit, and if rocks are up, that's pretty much a kill.

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD (run jolly if you want to pursuit trap more things)
Adamant Nature
- Taunt
- Pursuit
- Fire Punch/Stone Edge/Crunch/Earthquake
- Stealth Rock/Stone Edge/Crunch/Earthquake

Nothing all that special at first galnce, just a prankster taunt mon, but when you look at it more, it really is amazing. Deoxys-S is now pretty much the most reliable lead in the meta, notorious for getting up "guaranteed hazards" throughout matches. Not any more; by leading with this tyranitar, you can prankster taunt it, then pursuit as it switches out, and reliably set up rocks some time in the match with the prankster (deoxys-s teams dont run defog), and just like that, a huge thorn in your ass gets pulled out. The thing about Tyranitar is, its use doesn't just run out there; it's a fantastic all around pursuit trapper that traps things like victini and latios, which can really be annoying if you don't have something like ph umbreon or flash fire gliscor do deal with them. This thing can also stop sun in its tracks, by use of sand stream and that insane bulk that allows it to tank heatran's eruptions and proceed to hit it with a powerful attack or pursuit trap it as it tries to switch out. Oh, and one last thing: do you get annoyed when braviary suddenly comes in and ruins your potential sweep? With any prediction or sacrifices, your opponent can say hi to Tyranitar can come in and deal 70% damage with pursuit + brave bird recoil + pursuit, and if rocks are up, that's pretty much a kill.
I've Ran into a lot of magic bounce Deoxys-S before and that's really annoying,but this seems like a solid set.

@ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Arua Sphere
- Dark Pulse

I'd still recomand running Espeed on this. Even with 4ev it's still one of the greatest move in the game.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
[quote="SparkyAgain, post: 6042746, member: 259306"]

Anyway here's a set that i find pretty decent.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Delta Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 12 SpD / 112 Spe
Calm Nature
- Tailwind/Reflect/Light Screen
- Toxic/Thunder Wave/Heal bell/Defog
- Roost/Protect
- Discharge/Thunderbolt/Volt Switch

It's a standard supporter set, but delta stream is pretty useful to have on this pokemon.It removes it's weakness to rock and ice so you don't have to worry to much about bulk.It's just handy to have around in case you need it.Not perfect, but no where near to useless.It get's a lot of moves to work with so it can be useful in any situation your in.

Problems:Standard infamous taunt weakness and toxic weakness.

Overall:Solid Supporter that i think should be used more.

Not my best post but i'm a bit sleepy anyway i just wanted to get something out there cause really i can't think of any more creative sets currently.[/quote]
1. This is really standard (idk about the speed, but delta stream defensive zapdos is certainly standard).
2. It doesn't get heal bell or dual screens. Did you even test this?
3. Why would you run calm nature on 12 spdef? I have no idea what these EVs are for.
4. Protect and thunderbolt aren't really great slashes on it. Roost is mandatory, then discharge for parahax or the slow volt switch are way better on this. Tailwind also shouldn't be a main slash, thunder wave is much better than toxic, and I have no idea why defog is the last of a long series of slashes when it's that good on this.

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Lately, I've used this as my sweeper/cleaner on my team. It's not the greatest thing ever, but it works pretty well!

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Wild Charge
- Knock Off
- Superpower

This set focuses on coming in late game and cleaning from there. Magic Guard is pretty cool on Thundurus (especially physical ones) as it isn't hurt by Stealth Rock, Life Orb or Wild Charge, so it's way harder to wear down, something that would easily hurt it if it didn't have Magic Guard. It's also cool against more defensive Pokemon on styles other than Hyper Offense as usually they can't hurt you that badly, and you can set up at least one Bulk Up. Bulk Up also raises your defense so if you threaten something out or find something that isn't too strong, you can set up and it'll be harder to kill or revenge you, due to the defense boost. It's not mindshockingly strong, but it's main attribute is its good speed. Its speed tier of 111 is excellent, as it just outspeeds a lot of relevant Pokemon at the 110 speed tier, while not much that is relevant outspeeds it, especially not barely. It's power is good enough to plow through weakened Pokemon and frailer Pokemon on offense, especially if you can get a Bulk Up boost. It has a little more trouble against stallier teams, but you can spam Knock Off at the start of the battle to wear them down and once something is out that can't touch you (You can't be hurt by Toxic) you can start setting up.

Ayy new batch of sets! :D

Rampardos @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Quick Feet
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Fire Punch/Ice Punch (this slot is just for coverage really)

This is my favorite out of the batch, idk why it just makes rampardos actually viable! Anyway lets get onto the set, with quick feet rampardos can outspeed even gengar! The real problem with it, and why it isnt ou is its speed and frailty, which with quick feet solved 1 of them. With Rampardos' almost mega evolution legendary attack stat, it can shit on things left and right. Stone Edge is the main stab, while EQ is the main coverage move, making the famous Combo of EdgeQuake, only being resisted by Breloom,Chesnaught,Virizion and Torterra, being the only not uncommon pokemon breloom. Swords Dance is really just to make things want to suicide themselves because they know theyll die, and Fire Punch/Ice Punch is just coverage tbh.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/almostanyability-210183741 here a replay to showcase his speed.

Ill post the other mons another time since its better to have 1 mon per post.

Last edited:
Ayy new batch of sets! :D

Rampardos @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Quick Feet
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Fire Punch/Ice Punch (this slot is just for coverage really)

This is my favorite out of the batch, idk why it just makes rampardos actually viable! Anyway lets get onto the set, with quick feet rampardos can outspeed even gengar! The real problem with it, and why it isnt ou is its speed and frailty, which with quick feet solved 1 of them. With Rampardos' almost mega evolution legendary attack stat, it can shit on things left and right. Stone Edge is the main stab, while EQ is the main coverage move, making the famous Combo of EdgeQuake, only being resisted by Breloom,Chesnaught,Virizion and Torterra, being the only not uncommon pokemon breloom. Swords Dance is really just to make things want to suicide themselves because they know theyll die, and Fire Punch/Ice Punch is just coverage tbh.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/almostanyability-210183741 here a replay to showcase his speed.

Ill post the other mons another time since its better to have 1 mon per post.
It's kinda stopped by most of the physical walls in the tier though.

Intimidate Slowbro:
-1 252 Atk Rampardos Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 88-105 (22.3 - 26.6%) -- 19.1% chance to 4HKO+1 252 Atk Rampardos Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 198-234 (50.2 - 59.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4 SpA Slowbro Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Rampardos: 302-356 (90.1 - 106.2%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

Intimidate Hippowdon:
-1 252 Atk Rampardos Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 56-67 (13.3 - 15.9%) -- possibly the worst move ever
+1 252 Atk Rampardos Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 125-148 (29.7 - 35.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 Atk Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Rampardos: 356-422 (106.2 - 125.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Intimidate Skarmory:
-1 252 Atk Rampardos Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 76-90 (22.7 - 26.9%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

Golurk:
252 Atk Rampardos Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Golurk: 119-141 (31.1 - 36.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Golurk Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Rampardos: 390-458 (116.4 - 136.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Zapdos:

252 Atk Rampardos Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Zapdos in Strong Winds: 156-186 (40.6 - 48.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Rampardos: 204-240 (60.8 - 71.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after toxic damage

Mew:
252 Atk Rampardos Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mew: 141-166 (34.9 - 41%) -- 65.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Tyranitar:

252 Atk Rampardos Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Tyranitar: 176-208 (43.6 - 51.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Tyranitar Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Rampardos: 278-328 (82.9 - 97.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after toxic damage

Ferrothorn:
252 Atk Rampardos Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 264-312 (75 - 88.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
In case it's running Flash Fire:
252 Atk Rampardos Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 88-104 (25 - 29.5%) -- guaranteed 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (147 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Rampardos: 452-534 (134.9 - 159.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Aegislash:

252 Atk Rampardos Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Aegislash-Shield: 142-168 (43.8 - 51.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Rampardos: 278-328 (82.9 - 97.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after toxic damage

Doublade:

252 Atk Rampardos Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Eviolite Doublade: 104-124 (32.2 - 38.5%) -- 97.8% chance to 3HKO
252 Atk Rampardos Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Eviolite Doublade: 78-94 (24.2 - 29.1%) -- 99.5% chance to 4HKO
4 Atk Doublade Gyro Ball (88 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Rampardos: 312-368 (93.1 - 109.8%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

It's kinda stopped by most of the physical walls in the tier though.
Well realisticaly, its meant to take out faster stuff like gengar,alakazam,raikou,etc. Stuff like mew,skarmory(might be running iron head) and chansey that are passive, wont expect the swords dance, so you can just set 1 up, and then look at things getting destroyed:

+2 252 Atk Rampardos Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Zapdos in Strong Winds: 312-368 (81.2 - 95.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252 Atk Rampardos Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Slowbro: 201-237 (51 - 60.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery cant switch in reliably
+2 252 Atk Rampardos Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Aegislash-Shield: 282-332 (87 - 102.4%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Rampardos Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 524-620 (148.8 - 176.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

But i get what you're saying, he isnt very strong, although really good as a revenge killer :]

Okay this time it's a pokemon that i tested and it's pretty solid!

Alakazam @ Flame Orb
Ability: Flare Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic/Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Protect/Trick

So flare boost is a rather uncommon ability to see but it works! 1.5 special attack boost if burned.So it's like specs but the ability to switch up the moves! Psychic is a strong stab move that's gonna do a ton of damage. Psyshock is handy just incase of big special walls (chansey) Overall regular alakazam set but flare boost makes it really strong.Also trick is great for stopping physical sweepers.

Cons:Burn damage of course but that really the only thing stopping this thing rain of terror.Oh and sucker punch but that's about it that can stop this awesome set.

Overall:Strong pokemon that can really dish out some pain.

Also this may be a very vague post but honestly there isn't to much to say about it besides it being pretty dang strong. One of the best users if not the best user of flare boost.

Okay this time it's a pokemon that i tested and it's pretty solid!

Alakazam @ Flame Orb
Ability: Flare Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic/Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Protect/Trick

So flare boost is a rather uncommon ability to see but it works! 1.5 special attack boost if burned.So it's like specs but the ability to switch up the moves! Psychic is a strong stab move that's gonna do a ton of damage. Psyshock is handy just incase of big special walls (chansey) Overall regular alakazam set but flare boost makes it really strong.Also trick is great for stopping physical sweepers.

Cons:Burn damage of course but that really the only thing stopping this thing rain of terror.Oh and sucker punch but that's about it that can stop this awesome set.

Overall:Strong pokemon that can really dish out some pain.

Also this may be a very vague post but honestly there isn't to much to say about it besides it being pretty dang strong. One of the best users if not the best user of flare boost.
Sorry to disappoint but this is outclassed by sheer force life orb for the majority of alakazam's moves. Also Focus Blast is better than Hidden Power Fire in general, especially due to the fact that some pokes run flash fire, such as ferrothorn and skarmory.

Chansey Support Sticky Hold

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic

Same old chansey, but can't lose its Eviolite.

Chansey Support Sticky Hold

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic

Same old chansey, but can't lose its Eviolite.
This is a nice set but i still think prankster is better to run on this thing.Or magic bounce because this thing is still destroyed by taunt.

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The only real issue I see is the moveset. Chansey really needs either Softboiled or Protect to not get worn down really easily.

Reactions: MZ

Genesect is a very interesting pokemon that isn't really used all that often, and I feel there are some underrated sets sitting out there unused. Some common sets are no guard, life orb sheer force, and primordial sea, but I have never seen a shift gear set.

Genesect @ Life Orb
Ability: Refrigerate
EVs: 72 Atk / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Rash Nature
- Shift Gear
- ExtremeSpeed
- Bug Buzz/Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt

This is a mixed set with refridgerate extremespeed. I have found that a mixed set is far better than a pure physical set, as it is too easily walled by things like suicune, tentacruel, flash fire ferrothorn, flash fire skarmory, random intimidate walls, etc. The crux of the set is refrigerate extremespeed, which allows it to beat gale wings users such as braviary and staraptor. Life orb thunderbolt also ohkos skarmory and skarmory cannot ohko back. Flamethrower and thunderbolt give it great coverage and allow it to beat things that the physical set cannot. Genesect has a pretty versatile movepool as well. Running flamethrower lets it kill metagross, lucario, aegislash and some other steel types more reliably, and is a major slash on Bug Buzz. Iron head gives it the ability to more reliably beat special walls like snorlax and chansey, specifically, although it does only do slightly more than extremespeed. The evs are pretty self-explainatory: max special attack, speed enough to outrun lucario, and the rest thrown into attack for slightly more power in extremespeed. One cool partner I have found is magnet pull mega ampharos: it traps flash fire ferrothorn, megas, gains mold breaker and ohkos with hidden power fire. It also traps random volt absorb skarmory, which is cool.

One cool partner I have found is magnet pull mega ampharos: it traps flash fire ferrothorn, megas, gains mold breaker and ohkos with hidden power fire. It also traps random volt absorb skarmory, which is cool.
RIP. I wanted to be the one to reveal magnet pull amphy ;_;

Magneton @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Volt Switchw
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Thunder Wave/Toxic

It counters all gale wings skarmory sets and swiches in comfortably to any choice locked brave bird (cannot switch into superpowers/close combats without defense investment tho ;_;). I actually came up with this when i was having trouble with gale wings skarmory and wanted something that beats it. This isn't too bad at other things tho, it's STAB's pack quite a punch and it works well as a slow volt switcher. Thunderwave criples predicted switchins while toxic actually lands on other electric types, ground types and random electric immunity ability mons. I mainly run modest to let it be a solid foul play switchin (i've had bad experiences with trying to switch mons into umbreon) , and aaa teams generally having fast mons let it move last most of the time.

Genesect is a very interesting pokemon that isn't really used all that often, and I feel there are some underrated sets sitting out there unused. Some common sets are no guard, life orb sheer force, and primordial sea, but I have never seen a shift gear set.

Genesect @ Life Orb
Ability: Refrigerate
EVs: 72 Atk / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Rash Nature
- Shift Gear
- ExtremeSpeed
- Bug Buzz/Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt

This is a mixed set with refridgerate extremespeed. I have found that a mixed set is far better than a pure physical set, as it is too easily walled by things like suicune, tentacruel, flash fire ferrothorn, flash fire skarmory, random intimidate walls, etc. The crux of the set is refrigerate extremespeed, which allows it to beat gale wings users such as braviary and staraptor. Life orb thunderbolt also ohkos skarmory and skarmory cannot ohko back. Flamethrower and thunderbolt give it great coverage and allow it to beat things that the physical set cannot. Genesect has a pretty versatile movepool as well. Running flamethrower lets it kill metagross, lucario, aegislash and some other steel types more reliably, and is a major slash on Bug Buzz. Iron head gives it the ability to more reliably beat special walls like snorlax and chansey, specifically, although it does only do slightly more than extremespeed. The evs are pretty self-explainatory: max special attack, speed enough to outrun lucario, and the rest thrown into attack for slightly more power in extremespeed. One cool partner I have found is magnet pull mega ampharos: it traps flash fire ferrothorn, megas, gains mold breaker and ohkos with hidden power fire. It also traps random volt absorb skarmory, which is cool.
Just want to point out that a Rash nature is illegal on this set. It has to be Hasty, or so Showdown says.

I think this could be pretty cool:

Heatran @ Air Balloon/Leftovers/Flame Plate???
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 216 HP / 252 SpA / 36 Spe
Modest Nature
- Metal Sound
- Magma Storm/Fire Blast
- Substitute
- Earth Power/Filler move of your choice

Okay, i know, i know, it looks like a dumb set, and it probably is, but bear with me here for a second. Desolate land heatran forces many switches, into things like primordial sea ferrothorn, chansey, flash fire scizor, and friends to beat it. This set takes advantage of pretty much all its counters by subbing in their face, and spamming metal sound to make sure they get annihilated by fire blast/earth power. Once you use metal sound at least once, Earth power 2HKOs Ferrothorn (which can no longer beat you 1v1), Earth power 2HKOs scizor (which stands no chance against you without superpower), Fire Blast 2HKOs Chansey, and Fire Blast OHKOs Snorlax. So they'll either be forced to switch into something that does not appreciate a fire blast, or they'll be forced to sacrifice chansey. Keep in mind that unlike regular offensive heatran, this heatran can trap and kill just about anything, even its dedicated counters.

The great thing about Heatran is that it can actually come in on some very potent threats. For example, Manaphy barely does any damage with +3 Ice beam, while you easily destroy it with Earth Power. Suicune is complete substitute fodder, Skarmory will almost always switch out, Braviary loses to you one on one due to the speed EVs, PH Vaporeon is complete substitute + metal sound fodder (have fun with that baton pass), and the list goes on.

Oh, and did I mention, it bypasses unaware?
Vs Braviary
252+ Atk Choice Band Braviary Brave Bird vs. 216 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 147-174 (38.9 - 46.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Heatran Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Braviary in Harsh Sunshine: 375-442 (92.8 - 109.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after magma storm

Vs Chansey
252+ SpA Heatran Fire Blast vs. -2 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Harsh Sunshine: 303-357 (47.1 - 55.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after magma storm

Vs Ferrothorn
4 Atk Ferrothorn Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 216 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 63-75 (16.7 - 19.8%) -- guaranteed 6HKO
252+ SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. -2 252 HP / 0 SpD Ferrothorn: 190-224 (53.9 - 63.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
You win this battle due to Sub

Vs Scizor
252+ SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Scizor: 129-152 (37.6 - 44.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Scizor Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 216 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 111-131 (29.4 - 34.7%) -- 9.3% chance to 3HKO
Let it use knock off first, then sub + metal sound + earth power to win (note that this beats roost variants)

Vs Manaphy
252+ SpA Heatran Fire Blast vs. -2 0 HP / 0 SpD Manaphy in Harsh Sunshine: 296-348 (86.8 - 102%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO (almost a guaranteed OHKO with magma storm)
+3 252 SpA Manaphy Ice Beam vs. 216 HP / 0 SpD Heatran: 48-57 (12.7 - 15.1%) -- possible 7HKO

Vs Snorlax
252+ SpA Heatran Fire Blast vs. -2 0 HP / 252 SpD Snorlax in Harsh Sunshine: 439-517 (95.2 - 112.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after magma storm
you either need to hit it on the switch or have an air balloon to win.

Last edited:

Kit Kasai

Love colored magic
I think this could be pretty cool:

Heatran @ Air Balloon/Leftovers/Flame Plate???
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 216 HP / 252 SpA / 36 Spe
Modest Nature
- Metal Sound
- Fire Blast/Lava Plume
- Substitute
- Earth Power/Filler move of your choice

Okay, i know, i know, it looks like a dumb set, and it probably is, but bear with me here for a second. Desolate land heatran forces many switches, into things like primordial sea ferrothorn, chansey, flash fire scizor, and friends to beat it. This set takes advantage of pretty much all its counters by subbing in their face, and spamming metal sound to make sure they get annihilated by fire blast/earth power. Once you use metal sound at least once, Earth power 2HKOs Ferrothorn (which can no longer beat you 1v1), Earth power 2HKOs scizor (which stands no chance against you without superpower), Fire Blast 2HKOs Chansey, and Fire Blast OHKOs Snorlax. So they'll either be forced to switch into something that does not appreciate a fire blast, or they'll be forced to sacrifice chansey. Keep in mind that unlike regular offensive heatran, this heatran can still function if one of its usual counters is still alive, while regular offensive heatran can't do much until all its counters are eliminated

The great thing about Heatran is that it can actually come in on some very potent threats. For example, Manaphy barely does any damage with +3 Ice beam, while you easily destroy it with Earth Power. Suicune is complete substitute fodder, Skarmory will almost always switch out, Braviary loses to you one on one due to the speed EVs, PH Vaporeon is complete substitute + metal sound fodder (have fun with that baton pass), and the list goes on.

Oh, and did I mention, it bypasses unaware?
Vs Braviary
252+ Atk Choice Band Braviary Brave Bird vs. 216 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 147-174 (38.9 - 46.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Heatran Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Braviary in Harsh Sunshine: 375-442 (92.8 - 109.4%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

Vs Chansey
252+ SpA Heatran Fire Blast vs. -2 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Harsh Sunshine: 303-357 (47.1 - 55.6%) -- 75.4% chance to 2HKO

Vs Ferrothorn
4 Atk Ferrothorn Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 216 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 63-75 (16.7 - 19.8%) -- guaranteed 6HKO
252+ SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. -2 252 HP / 0 SpD Ferrothorn: 190-224 (53.9 - 63.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
You win this battle due to Sub

Vs Scizor
252+ SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Scizor: 129-152 (37.6 - 44.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Scizor Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 216 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 111-131 (29.4 - 34.7%) -- 9.3% chance to 3HKO
Let it use knock off first, then sub + metal sound + earth power to win (note that this beats roost variants)

Vs Manaphy
252+ SpA Heatran Fire Blast vs. -2 0 HP / 0 SpD Manaphy in Harsh Sunshine: 296-348 (86.8 - 102%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
+3 252 SpA Manaphy Ice Beam vs. 216 HP / 0 SpD Heatran: 48-57 (12.7 - 15.1%) -- possible 7HKO

Vs Snorlax
252+ SpA Heatran Fire Blast vs. -2 0 HP / 252 SpD Snorlax in Harsh Sunshine: 439-517 (95.2 - 112.1%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
you either need to hit it on the switch or have an air balloon to win.
Interesting idea, I think that Magma Storm works really well with Metal Sound as it allows you to trap stuff and basically pseudoboost to KO them.

252 SpA Heatran Magma Storm vs. -2 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Sun: 252-297 (39.2 - 46.2%) -- 25.8% chance to 2HKO after poison damage (poison is magma storm damage)
252 SpA Flame Plate Heatran Magma Storm vs. -2 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Sun: 301-355 (46.8 - 55.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after poison damage

Interesting idea, I think that Magma Storm works really well with Metal Sound as it allows you to trap stuff and basically pseudoboost to KO them.

252 SpA Heatran Magma Storm vs. -2 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Sun: 252-297 (39.2 - 46.2%) -- 25.8% chance to 2HKO after poison damage (poison is magma storm damage)
252 SpA Flame Plate Heatran Magma Storm vs. -2 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Sun: 301-355 (46.8 - 55.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after poison damage
Hmm yeah I forgot heatran got that...thanks, slashed in

While one may say my latest creation is a little out of the ordinary, it is something that is not to be trifled with!

Rotom-Heat @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 248 HP / 224 Def / 32 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Protect
- Overheat

This set works as a great hard counter to almost all forms of GW offense; Will-O-Wisp cripples all the physical attackers, while he has bulk enough to shut down all of them. The threat of a STAB electric attack is enough to force them out as well, meaning that you can use WoW even if you predict them to switch out. You never know when that extra residual damage might come in handy. Overheat is simply there to prevent Rotom from being in its normal form (does it work that way? If it doesn't, then Hex might be worth considering), but occasionally comes in handy. Protect is on the set to safely activate the Toxic Orb, which then gives you amazing recovery. 224 Defense EVs are to prevent the great birds (Honchkrow,Tornadus, Braviary, etc.) from instantly destroying you. The rest is dumped into SpA for power.

(Flying Types Rule!, you might not want to look in these hides. Just so you can understand the efficiency of this beast, I would recommend running 252/252+ Special Defense + Assault Vest on our birds)

252+ SpA Life Orb Tornadus Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-H: 117-139 (38.6 - 45.8%) -- 73% chance to 3HKO after Poison Heal (weak)
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tornadus Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-H: 135-160 (44.5 - 52.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Poison Heal (THAT's all you've got, Tornadus?)
252+ Atk Life Orb Honchkrow Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 224 Def Rotom-H: 105-125 (34.6 - 41.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Poison Heal (Lame)
252+ Atk Choice Band Honchkrow Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 224 Def Rotom-H: 121-143 (39.9 - 47.1%) -- 94.7% chance to 3HKO after Poison Heal (WHAT? How weak are these birds?)
252+ Atk Choice Band Honchkrow Superpower vs. 248 HP / 224 Def Rotom-H: 162-191 (53.4 - 63%) -- 82.4% chance to 2HKO after Poison Heal (Protect makes this more like a 4HKO)
252+ Atk Life Orb Braviary Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 224 Def Rotom-H: 104-122 (34.3 - 40.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Poison Heal (I'm starting to think Rotom is too good for these birds.)
252+ Atk Choice Band Braviary Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 224 Def Rotom-H: 120-141 (39.6 - 46.5%) -- 89.7% chance to 3HKO after Poison Heal (Not enough power.)
252+ Atk Choice Band Braviary Superpower vs. 248 HP / 224 Def Rotom-H: 160-189 (52.8 - 62.3%) -- 74.6% chance to 2HKO after Poison Heal (Again, Protect heals for a turn.)
Do I really need to go on to Staraptor, which is even weaker than these birds?

32+ SpA Rotom-H Volt Switch vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Honchkrow: 300-354 (87.9 - 103.8%) -- 25% chance to OHKO (Ow.)
32+ SpA Rotom-H Volt Switch vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Honchkrow: 206-246 (50.9 - 60.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (More ow.)
32+ SpA Rotom-H Volt Switch vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Braviary: 168-200 (41.5 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (Braviary is the bulkiest bird, however.)
32+ SpA Rotom-H Volt Switch vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Braviary: 228-270 (66.8 - 79.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Much better!)
32+ SpA Rotom-H Volt Switch vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tornadus: 216-254 (72.2 - 84.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Yikes!)
32+ SpA Rotom-H Volt Switch vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Tornadus: 164-194 (45.3 - 53.5%) -- 39.5% chance to 2HKO (*cringes*)
Also, this isn't even counting hazards. Combined with a nice smack after hitting them, I think Rotom-H is possibly the most effective bird hate out there.

Although you do need hazards to stay away, isn't the benefits of Rotom-H more than helpful enough to warrant hazard removal?

My conclusion: We should all run Motor Drive Pelipper on our bird spam teams to keep Rotom-H away.

Honestly this is a really dumb set that theoretically should fail in every aspect of being a moveset, but it somehow works, so I'll post it here:

Jellicent @ Choice Specs/Choice Scarf
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD (if specs), or 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe (if scarf)
Modest/Timid Nature
- Water Spout
- Scald
- Shadow Ball/Recover/Will-o-Wisp
- Trick

Sure, we've probably all tried some variant of offensive jellicent, but probably not to much success. This was the first offensive jellicent set I tried that actually worked.

Anyways, I was looking for a mon that takes advantage of zapdos not named "motor drive manaphy" that happens to not get walled by snorlax and ferrothorn. The result? It's hard to explain, just see for yourself.

At +1, and with a specs, there are very few things that switch in. Anyways, the point is, you come in on a volt switch/discharge, as heat wave/hp ice can't really touch you, and then you kill something (as long as you're facing bulky offense/hyper offense). Scarf lets you beat hyper offense easily, whereas specs lets you beat bulky offense easily.

+1 252+ SpA Choice Specs Jellicent Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn in Rain: 220-259 (62.5 - 73.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (primordial sea)
+1 252+ SpA Choice Specs Jellicent Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Snorlax: 334-394 (72.4 - 85.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252+ SpA Choice Specs Jellicent Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 201-237 (49.7 - 58.6%) -- 69.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ SpA Choice Specs Jellicent Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Cresselia: 360-424 (81 - 95.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ SpA Choice Specs Jellicent Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos: 493-582 (128.3 - 151.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/almostanyability-215327510 (sorry for obnoxious name lol, also i think he just lost from being afk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)