Apprentice Program Signups: SUMO OU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Welcome to Battling 101! If you're seeking a tutor for SUMO OU, you are in the right place. Please read all the rules carefully and fill out every part of the application.

THE RULES

• You must be able to access Skype, Discord, or whatever your tutor wants as the primary form of communication.
  • You must be willing to use Pokemon Showdown! even if you are being tutored in a cartridge format such as Battle Spot or VGC.
  • You, the tutee, are responsible for setting up times with your tutor. Don't expect them to come to you. Take the initiative and post on their VM wall first. Additionally, please be patient if your tutor doesn't respond in the first 2-3 days.
  • Use the Tutee Talk forum to complain about your tutor (or praise them if they're doing a good job). These are no longer mandatory, but if your tutor is ridiculously inactive or is a complete jackass, COMPLAIN HERE.Nobody can see your tutee talk posts except for you and the Battling 101 Staff; everything is confidential.
  • Don't request tutors unless they have agreed to tutor you.
  • You may request priority if you were skipped previously in 2016. Link your sign-up post from last year by going to the B101 Archive located in Thread Cryonics underneath Closed Forums.
  • If your timezone and hours of availability do not match up with the correct thread, your post will be deleted. Please PM a B101 mod if you are unsure about which thread to post in.
  • You may only post in ONE of the signup threads. Delete your post if you change your mind about signing up for something.

• NEW: You must have battled competitively for a decent amount in at least ONE of the Smogon tiers or Battle Spot / VGC to sign up. Playing 10 or so matches on the PS! ladder is not substantial enough, ~70 or so is more reasonable. This experience does not need to be for the format you sign-up for; this is just to weed out people who have never played competitively that can improve themselves simply by using resources already available to them without needing a tutor to hold their hand.
Any iteration of Ubers/OU/UU/RU/NU/PU/DOU/LC from any of the past generations.
Any iteration of Battle Spot / VGC formats.

Here is the signup template, and an example sign-up post.

Username:
PO/PS! Username:
Your timezone:
Usual Hours of Availability:
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences):
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?:
Do you understand how the blacklist works?:
example said:
Username: plus
PS! Username: youngme7o
Your timezone: EST (GMT -5)
Usual Hours of Availability: weekdays 8 PM - 12 AM, weekends 12 PM - 12 AM
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I started playing competitively in 2007 and decided to join Smogon to get better. Since then, I've played in tournaments like WCOP 2009 and SPL 1 way back in the day. Admittedly I've had less time to burn on Pokemon since then, but I still have fair knowledge in OU / UU / NU for all generations from DPP onwards.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Yes
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: Yes
The Blacklist (aka Battling 101 Detention)
You will be banned from signing up in the future if:
  • You show poor activity over a course of a month (banned for 6 months, infracted for 1 point)
  • You decide during the tutoring round that you do not wish to be tutored anymore, or you mistakenly sign up for a tier you thought was something else, and no longer wish to be tutored. This is most common when selecting Smogon Doubles / VGC, THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING (banned for 6 months)
  • You show a lack of enthusiasm or you're consistently distracted by other things (banned for 3 months)
  • You fail to complete the tutor evaluation form that we will send out during the last week of the round(banned for 6 months, infracted for 1 point)
  • You are annoying to deal with. This will vary from tutor to tutor. Some tutors don't like it when you talk back, argue with them, whine about hax, whine about sucking at Pokemon, or any version of the 'woe is me' attitude. Tutors get pissed at different things, so if they complain to us that you are exhibiting poor behavior, expect to be on the blacklist.(banned for 3-6 months)
Repeated offense of any of the situations above can potentially mean a year ban. If you have been on the blacklist for three different instances, you will be EXPELLED from Battling 101 (perma-ban from signing up).

Last edited:
assigned to ez

Username:
Tankmonx
PO/PS! Username: Tankmonx, and starfoxfalco
Your timezone: GMT -5
Usual Hours of Availability: Before Jan 8th free from 11 am - 10 pm est
after the 8th I’m free from 3 pm to 10 pm est
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I’ve been playing competitively on showdown since the summer of 2014. Since joining I’ve laddered, ask for advised, and watched a lot of Pokeaimmd and Jamvad videos (so shoutouts to them) to help myself Improve. I’ve always found myself to be weak of team building. The RMT room and RMT forum sections have always been a help. I finally at the end of the ORAS OU metagame I was able to break 1600 which I’m super happy about. Over my yeah and a half at Smogon I’ve played users, Anything goes (which my favourite tier by far), LC, Ru, UU(2nd fav tier) and some Monotype. With the release of SuMo on showdown, I instantly dove right into Anything goes, as well as Ou. I’ve recently gotten into Ubers and Lc again. In Pokebank Ou I’ve peaked at 1470 and am stuck at the 1400’s. I hope with the help of battle 101 I can break 1400’s hopefully reach 1700 or maybe even 1800’s, and improve my team building skills.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: I have both

Last edited by a moderator:
Assigned to Team Pokepals

Username: ZosoRumpleEmma
PO/PS! Username: ZosoRumpleEmma
Monday/Friday 1pm-12am
Tuesday/Thursday 4pm-12am
Wednesday 6pm-12am
Weekends 1pm-12am
(this might change depending on what my extracurricular schedule at college is like, will discuss any changes with tutor)
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): Started around 2 years ago. First played competitevly in the Gen VI UCL (you
draft two pokemon from each tier) format at my school. Have played a lot of Gen VI OU, but I'm struggling to adapt to the Gen VII meta, and in general I don't think I have strong
teambuilding skills regardless of tier. That's what I'd like the most help with.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Discord

Assigned to obii

Username
: Zangetsu9876
PO/PS! Username: Zangster
Your timezone: Pst, GMt -8
Usual Hours of Availability: Everyday from 12pm-2am pst
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I started getting into competitive pokemon in gen 4, when I discovered smogon and fell in love with rain teams. I've taken brakes since then but have always come back at some point each gen since 4 to catch up on the new meta and what new and old pokes are making waves. I've never played in any competitive events, just on the PS! ladder over the years but I'd love to change that with battling 101.

assigned to -Snow

Username: PuffPuffChief

PO/PS! Username: PuffPuffChief

Your timezone: Eastern Time UTC-5:00

Usual Hours of Availability: Weekdays- 6pm-11pm, weekends- 7am-3pm

Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): After Heartgold and SoulSilver stopped playing pokemon for awhile. Then when ORAS came out and I started learning about the competitive scene and started messing around with it. After about 5 months took a break and now looking to brush up on my knowledge of the game and the meta.

Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: yes

Do you understand how the blacklist works?: yes

assigned to Subject 18

Username
: AwsomeBiz
PO/PS! Username: CycloTJ
Usual Hours of Availability: weekdays 6 PM - 12 AM, weekends 12 PM - 12 AM
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I glanced a bit at competitive battles when d/p/p wifi battles were trending, and did not delve into competitive till B/W. I have also had a good amount of experience in XY/ORAS, but haven't played since then. I'm pretty rusty right now and still trying to get used to the su/mo meta. Hoping to refine my skills with this program.

Assigned to Empo

Username:
KaioNabuco
PS! Username: Kaio Nabuco
Your timezone: GTM -3 no DST
Usual Hours of Availability: I'm available at Friday afternoon and evening. The whole day, if Saturday or Sunday.
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon: I started competitive Pokémon January of 2016, but I've only started to take it more seriously these last 3 months. My peak at ORAS OU was like 1500 and something. I suck at teambuilding.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: I can use Discord but I don't have a microphone.
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: Yes.

assigned to Snowy

Username
: AGuyWithPants
PO/PS! Username: AGuyWithPants
Your timezone: +7 GMT
Usual Hours of Availability: 2 - 5 PM and 11:30 PM - 3 AM
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I have played on and off since gen 4 now. I have alot of simluator experience since Ive played on both Shoddy and PS. I played mostly in BW and ORAS but stopped playing since July or so. Now that I have a break due to winter holidays, I want to get back into pokemon and understand the SuMo meta. I have a decent amount of experience battling but very little teambuilding experience and thats something I want to improve.

assigned to Welli0u

Username
: CountRiario
PO/PS! Username: CountRiario
Your timezone: EST+6 (GMT +1)
Usual Hours of Availability: Most days between 16.00 and 00.00
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I have played ORAS in both OU and RU quite a lot, got tutored by TraceOfLife in RU pretty succesfully and in OU by Snow (which we sadly had to cut off early :[). I enjoyed both tiers a lot, OU is probably my main tier though, because of its diversity and status as the #1 tier for comp in my opinion. I am fairly good at the game if I do so say myself, but i want to be able to actually reach the top 500 as soon as the meta has stabilized, and do so consequently :]
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Yep, both
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: Yes.

assigned to Simiatic

Username
: Z AURA MASTER
PO/PS! Username: PS name is ZKILLER786
Your timezone:GMT
Usual Hours of Availability: On weekdays it'll probably be around 3:30 pm to 4:30 pm and 6:30 pm to 11 pm because of school but if u would like I can do before 8 am before school. On weekends it's probably 1 pm to 4 am
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): Well I started to play comp pokemon after a few friends on discord got me in to it. This was like in July I believe in gen 6 and I loved it especially ou . I wanted to join this to improve my battling skills. I know the basics so I should be good to go.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: discord

Username: waldani
PO/PS! Username: A_social_otaku although I have an old account which is waldani
Your timezone: Australia Eastern Time Zone (UTC+10:00)
Usual Hours of Availability: On weekdays, it would be 8:30p,-9:30pm because of school but on weekends I can do 3pm-6pm and 8pm-9:30pm
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I have been playing Pokemon since 2011, but only really got into competitive play late last year, back in November. I enjoy competitive play, mostly playing randoms, and am trying to get better in ou, since it is the main metagame. However, while I understand most of the theory involved, my lack of experience in battling and team building, so I would like someone who can help me improve my skills
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Yes, Discord
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: No

assigned to ez

Username
: Tachi_Master (Tachimas on discord)
PO/PS! Username: Tachi_Master
Your timezone: Mountain Standard Time
Usual Hours of Availability: 3 PM -9 PM my time
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I only do monotypes kill me.
Am willing to learn by doing other stuff though.
I think I'm personally not that bad, I just need to learn how to actually play well
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: both

assigned to Simiatic

Username
: Darkoness21 (same on discord)
PO/PS! Username: Darkoness21
Your timezone: Eastern Standard Time
Usual Hours of Availability: 3 PM - 9 PM my time
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I started back in gen 4 and played through gen 5 then some gen 6. Looking to get back into the game as this gen looks really fun. I mostly play OU.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: both

Omega-Xis

Mauville's Own
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Assigned to Subject 18

Username:
Omega-Xis
PO/PS! Username: Omega-Xis
Your timezone: GMT -5
Usual Hours of Availability: 6-10 PM Monday-Friday, weekends can make pretty much anything work unless I have a busy schedule.
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): Played a lot at the end of ORAS and built some teams with my good friend Rekeri, but my main tiers were UU and Monotype. I feel like I built good teams that synergize well but sometimes they just prove to not be as effective since they're not exactly built for the meta. A lot of what I'd like help is learning to adapt to the meta and to have someone go over a list with me of what is feasible to be checked offensively/defensively for different playstyles and what are the biggest threats I should be considering and perhaps also what general checks (i.e. fire check, water check) etc. are requisite in any kind of team.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Both, prefer discord.

Username: Lozo On Discord
PO/PS! Username: BobbyNoPants
Your timezone: UTC-06:00
9:30AM-2:30AM
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences):
Been playing competitive on and off for around two years now. I understand the core mechanics and the competitive-relevant ones as well. Where I'm lacking in is game sense and predictions.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Discord

assigned to Amoonguss

Username: Jay on discord
PO/PS! Username : Mistermegabeedrill
Your Time Zone: Eastern Standard Time
Tell us a little bit of your experience in competitive pokemon (min 3 sentences) My experience is i started in gen 4 , i took a break from competitive. I started the 6th gen meta which no one in discord servers couldn't beat me. I used to make sets for people in discord.
Are you available to use Discord or Skype? Discord
Do you understand how the blacklist works ? Yes

assigned to Erz

Username
: monomite
PO/PS! Username: m0nomite
Your timezone: BRST; GMT -3
Usual Hours of Availability: I'll list the hours converted to GMT-8: 10am to 9pm (from feb.14th onwards 10am to 5pm)
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I started playing competitively in 2005, stopped a few years later and came back in 2013 with X/Y. I've played a lot of tourneys so far with the local community and I feel like I haven't improved in a while. I understand the core mechanics, predictions and teambuilding, but I lack a good sense of game planning, which makes me choke at games I should have won. I'm also not used to the current metagame, so I lack that knowledge. I want to focus on sun/moon OU, and perhaps VGC 17 too.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Yes, both

Assigned to ez

Username
: Carter
PO/PS! Username: Pickle_With_Hat
Your timezone: Central/Chicago
Usual Hours of Availability: Monday-Friday 3:30-5:00. Saturday 10:00-3:00
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I have not ever done competeive in game, but have played PS! for the last 3 months. I know the very basics.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Both
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: Yea

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
assigned to Amoonguss

Username:
Silver_Lucario42
PS! Username: Silver_Lucario42
Timezone: GMT -8 (Western US)
Usual Hours of Availability: 11:45 AM-12:15 PM, after 3:00 PM
Experience in Competitive Pokémon: I've played a number of different formats such as VGC '16 and ORAS OU. I know about the type chart, EVs, and all of that. I signed up because I want to know how to make and use a successful team. The farthest I've gotten on the ladder was 1650 with my stall team in ORAS OU.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype? Yes, I can use Discord or Skype but I prefer the former.
Do you understand how the blacklist works? Yes

assigned to Shurtugal

Username:
imsosorrylol
PS! Username: sorry
Timezone: GMT -8
Usual Hours of Availability: Any time fam
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): Just your average ladder player tbh. Want to get better at this game to try out for WCOP since I know I'm decent at this game. Just wanna learn a bit more :p
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype? yes
Do you understand how the blacklist works? yes

Username: A1 Scrub

PO/PS! Username: A1 Scrub

Usual Hours of Availability: Weekdays- 6pm-11pm, weekends- 7pm-11pm

Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): After Heartgold and SoulSilver stopped playing pokemon for awhile. Then when ORAS came out and I started learning about the competitive scene and started messing around with it. After about 5 months took a break and now looking to brush up on my knowledge of the game and the meta.

Last edited:
assigned to Simia

Username: scottollo

PO/PS! Username: scottollo

Usual Hours of Availability: Weekdays- 11am-4pm, free on weekends

Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): i've played competitive pokemon battling from gen 1-6 .So gen 7 is new for and i want to learn it for more experiences

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
assigned to ez

Username:
The Excadrill
PS Username: iExca
My Timezone: Pacific Standard Time, GMT -8
Usual Hours of Availability: Weekends 4-10 pm
Tell us a bit about your experience in competitive pokemon?: I have been playing monotype for around a year and a half and play some other tiers not as well such as Ubers.I want to learn how to build for this meta and overall play consistently against all playstyles preferably using my favorite playstyles offense or Balance. I hope to get better at a few more official tiers such as RU, UU and OU.
Are you able to use either Skype or Discord?: Yes, Discord
Do you understand how the blacklist works: Yes

Surgeon

venice bitch
is a Contributor Alumnus
Assigned to Empo

Username
: 1Surgeon
PO/PS! Username: 1Surgeon
Your timezone: Western European Time, GMT +0
Usual Hours of Availability: 3-8 PM on Weekdays bar on Wednesdays/Fridays, free on Weekends
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I've been playing competitive since 2015, and I joined smogon a year later to become a better player. Mostly played ORAS singles (OU, UU, NU) and some Sun and Moon tiers as well. I have a fair amount of knowladge with competitive battling being an RMT Room Driver on PS!, but I'd still like to improve my teambuilding and battling skills.

Reactions: Sun
assigned to Subject 18

EDIT: for some reason i thought is said max 3 sentences so i lengthened my experience section

Username: trillyntruly
PO/PS! Username: trillyntruly (plus a bunch of other alts)
Your timezone: GMT -5 - EST
Sat-Sun - Available
Mon-Fri - 6pm-12am EST (I will more than likely be free earlier than 6 most days by an hour or 2 but to be safe I should basically always be free 6 and onward)
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I initially began learning competitive basics in DPP (EVs, IVs, nothing major. Wasn't part of any community for battling either). Picked up competitive in XY, only about 2 months after the release. I learned a lot, quickly, by looking up anything and everything I didn't know. How did this mon beat this, what abilities does this mon get, looking up stats, etc. Obviously I was still a scrub for a while though. Eventually my knowledge of the game and mechanics grew substantially and I was what I would call 'decent' but I plateauded in skill. Unable to master team preview, analyzing wincons and effectively deploying them, etc. Around the end of XY I began to break out of my plateau and I was at my peak around then or mid ORAS. When MMetagross got suspected I quit due to work and also my laptop breaking. Came back for SM, barely, and took a long time for me to have vague understandings of the meta. Now I sorta get the meta but I'm back where I was when I was plateaued with arguably less meta knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)