Ask a Dreamy Question Get a Dreamy Answer

I was wondering when the 5th gen DW pokemon will come out? I know that Darminatan and Musharna are out, but just a curious question.

IIRC the Dream World sprites for the Gen V Pokemon are not programmed into the game so it will either be after Pokemon Black and White 2 comes out or later

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I was wondering when the 5th gen DW pokemon will come out? I know that Darminatan and Musharna are out, but just a curious question.
It all depends on when Nintendo wants to release them, but hopefully soon!

IIRC the Dream World sprites for the Gen V Pokemon are not programmed into the game so it will either be after Pokemon Black and White 2 comes out or later
There are no "DW sprites" per say; they don't change appearance afaik when they get their DW abilities.

When you see the pokemon from the dream world in the entralink it shows an overworld sprite. Gen 5 pokemon do not have one of these.

If you got a Dream world pokemon, say a Vulpix and you evolve it into a Ninetales, and you breed it, does the offspring carry the Dream World Ability (Drought) too?

PLEASE ANSWER THIS!

If you got a Dream world pokemon, say a Vulpix and you evolve it into a Ninetales, and you breed it, does the offspring carry the Dream World Ability (Drought) too?

PLEASE ANSWER THIS!
Only females are capable of passing down Dream World abilities, and it is a 50% chance.

This is halfway dream world, and halfway game mechanics, but what would happen if two endgame eggxecutors in sunlight with harvest sitrus berries, and ingrain were pitted against eachother? Unlimited struggle?

zero2exe

Veteran Breeder - Expert Translator
is a Contributor Alumnus
This is halfway dream world, and halfway game mechanics, but what would happen if two endgame eggxecutors in sunlight with harvest sitrus berries, and ingrain were pitted against eachother? Unlimited struggle?
According to Kaphotics at #smogonwifi and with his permission here's the log with the answer:
<Kaphotics> no
<Kaphotics> all battles have a set turn limit
<Kaphotics> its just nobody ever ever takes that many turns
<Kaphotics> EVER.
<Kaphotics> so technically yes this could happen
<Kaphotics> but the battle would be force ended when the amount of battle data exceeds (a certain number I dont know off the top of my head) and the team with highest HP will win, else tie as usual
<Kaphotics> at least, that's how I assume it works. if it didn't work that way then you wouldn't be able to save the battle video (it can only be so big), and that wouldn't be programmed to happen
<Kaphotics> in the battle video there's a battle instruction read length included, so I'd bet that that would be kept track of while the battle happens, if it exceeds a certain value the next turn would be force battle ended
<Kaphotics> there's the answer to that question ^.^

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You can also use the "Suggest draw" button.

AfroThunderRule

*yawn* ez
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Is this a decent team for DW OU? I'm a newb to the tier and to Pokemon in general.

Tyranitar (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 124 HP / 252 Atk / 132 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Fire Punch
Latios (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Dragon Pulse
- Surf
Garchomp (F) @ Yache Berry
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Fang
Excadrill (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Frustration
Keldeo @ Leftovers
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Surf
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Dark]
Genesect @ Shed Shell
Trait: Download
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- U-turn
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower

I'd definitely recommend Choice Scarf > Shed Shell for Genesect. In Dream World, the only common user of Shadow Tag is Chandelure. Choice Scarf Genesect allows you to outspeed the most common variant of Chandelure (Choice Scarf) and U-Turn out. Using Genesect in conjunction with Tyranitar allows you to lure in Chandelure and trap it easily, this will prevent your Latios from being trapped as well, considering you are running a Specs set - you can be less cautious when spamming Draco Meteors. Choice Scarf Genesect also allows you to beat +1 Dragons who look quite annoying for your team. Keldeo lacking Hidden Power [Ice] means that Dragonite / Salamence can easily find a free turn of set up and start unleashing power boosted Outrages at your team.

I'd also recommend changing your Tyranitar set to a Specially Defensive set.

Tyranitar (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Atk / 180 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Specially Defensive Tyranitar gives your team more of a defensive backbone. Specially Defensive Tyranitar gives you a surefire counter to Chandelure. Although Choice Band set still beats it, it is locked into Pursuit, giving opposing Terrakion / Dragonite / Keldeo / Excadrill a turn of setup. Specially Defensive Tyranitar also means that you can run Stealth Rock. Stealth Rock is a given on every team, it turns 2HKOs into OHKOs, which can mean the difference between winning and losing matches when running a very offensive team such as yours. Not only does this set allow you to avoid being setup fodder, it prevents foes from setting up. Roar is a really good move on Tyranitar. In situations where you have Stealth Rock setup and Tyranitar is essentially useless, Roar stops your opponent taking advantage. This is especially useful when you have used Superpower, as it can persuade your opponent to use your stat drops as an excuse to start boosting.

One small difference I would also say would be to run Hidden Power [Fire] > Dragon Pulse on Latios. I understand at times you would like the perfect accuracy and no stat drops after the move is used, but Choice Latios should be played to hit and run. Running Hidden Power [Fire] allows you to hit Ferrothorn and other bulky Steels harder, in situations where Surf will not suffice. What this also does is it means that there is less pressure on Garchomp / Genesect to take down Ferrothorn. It means that you can run Substitute on Garchomp over Fire Fang. Substitute + Sand Veil means that you can set up on defensive threats with a chance of missing. Substitute blocks burns and poisons that can stop Garchomps sweeps. Leftovers would be the item of choice over Yache Berry.

tl;dr
Choice Scarf Genesect > Shed Shell
Specially Defensive Tyranitar > Choice Band
• Latios - Hidden Power [Fire] > Dragon Pulse
• Garchomp - Substitute > Fire Fang

Hey guys I'm glad that you're asking and answering questions about Dream World play, but can we try to keep RMT stuff in the RMT forum please? This thread should be for simple questions and simple answers only. Thanks for understanding!

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Remember guys, whether or not Pokemon X is released has nothing to do with the Dream World metagame. If you want to see who is released, view the first and second post of this thread before asking a question.

Not completely sure what you mean by that. There are pokemon whose dreamworld abilities have been released that are thus allowed in OU with their dream world abilities. Examples include politoed and ninetales, as well as blaziken (who was banned to ubers as a result).

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ok. Also, when I look through the RMTs of successful teams, sometimes they talk about the builder making them for a tournament or challenge. What are some notable tournaments/challenges and how does one take part in them?

Well, one recent tournament was the Bad Dream World tournament, which was just normal DW, only with Darkrai allowed. That's all I can think of really, and for those you can just post in the thread saying "in" before signups close.

probably just making a team of what you feel is effective in dw then playing with it, then after you get a feel of what the metagame is like (what is common, what are the biggest threats, etc) you can try to build a better team.

you can also participate in research week challenges to test out new mons and see how they work out

deinosaur

now available in lowercase
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
DW Excadrill is just as good as it was in OU. But there is also a lot of rain in this metagame which cause Excadrill to be sad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)