Ask A Little Question, Get A Little Answer (Mark 1)

Why is Gligar not banned ? I thought Little Cup rules stated that the Pokemon competing couldn't be ever at any point in time be a only evolution. Which he was in GSC.
From main site :
Gligar is considered to be one of the most dangerous Pokemon in the current Little Cup metagame for a few reasons: a solid offensive and defensive typing, a wide movepool that allows sets to be easily be customized, and the ability to reach 19 Speed. He is also bulky enough to take some hits and has the ability to run a plethora of different sets. So why isn't he banned from the standard Little Cup metagame? Firstly, he is weak to Ice- and Water-type attacks, which are two of the most common attacking types in Little Cup. Additionally, each type features a strong priority attack in Ice Shard and Aqua Jet. He also has quite a few checks and counters. That isn't to say he can't play around them, but they make it difficult for him to sweep teams effectively. Once said Pokemon are gone, however, it is easy for Gligar to rip teams apart.

Both water and ice priority moves are physical and his defense is a major 105. I don't know it just seems a little weird with a UU Tier Gligar in the LC.

Rock polish also makes him super fast.
True, but Ice Beam and Surf are both special, TM/HMs and likely more common on special sweepers like Staryu.

100th post :P

Both water and ice priority moves are physical and his defense is a major 105. I don't know it just seems a little weird with a UU Tier Gligar in the LC.
Because of the generally greater damage output in LC, Ice Shard will be OHKOing Gligar most of the time, and Aqua Jet will be doing very sizable damage.

Also, use in other metagames isn't all that comprable to LC especially considering Wynaut is Uber and it's still allowed in LC matches.

humm....hard to fit those 2 on a team that like to keep the offense going, plus both the fact a +2 night slash ohko duskull and bronzor hp ice cant ohko gligar scare me a little, but i will try those 2 out anyway.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Mantyke slaughters non Stone Edge sets, as does Paras. Other Gligar with Aqua Tail are pretty great at beating SE/EQ variants which lack AT. Staryu is a nice check, especially scarfed, as are many other Waters.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Basically, there are different counters for each set.
Support and Rock Polish usually run Aqua Tail + Earthquake - fodder for Paras and Mantyke - or EdgeQuake, which is totally walled by Bronzor and Duskull as well as handled by Aqua Tail Gligar.
Swords Dance generally runs the combination of above moves plus Quick Attack. It's easy enough to revenge and the above pokes still wall it.
LO + 4 Attacks is handled by fast Oran Aqua Tail Gligar and revenge-killed easily.
Scarf is easily predicted - Duskull and Bronzor are again the safest switch-ins.

Actually Life Orb 4 Attacks only has one counter and that's Bronzong. I think everything in the game is 2hko'd by Earthquake/Stone Edge/Aqua Tail/Night Slash. So I really think Bronzong is the only 100 % Gligar counter in the game. And you say hp ice doesn't KO. It 2hko's it before it can do shit to you. It also sets up Rocks, can run Psychic to hit shit like Gastly, and can Earthquake Fire-types in the switch.

thanks for the help. gligar has being a pain lately, giving the viable sets i might try bronzor though even him is not a 100% counter. for example a +0 aqua tail does not activate oran(my calcs might be wrong and if they are this means bronzor is ohkoed by a +2 aqua tail), so if bronzor switch into aqua tail from a SD gligar, the gligar SD when he hp ice and then aqua tail then gligar wins, but yeah this probably will never happen so ok i will try bronzor, thanks again.

I'm not sure why this hasn't been mentioned yet, but as long as Gligar isn't using stone edge or aerial ace that turn Snover can switch in easily and KO with Ice Shard.

I dont know how complicated this question is but hor do u know what type of hidden power your pokemon uses. In the smogon movesets it says Hidden Power Ice/ Hidden Power Fire. Meaning you should choose one of those. How do u know which one ur gonna get if you teach ur pokemon hidden power? How can u choose?

Thanks to whoever quotes and replies

I dont know how complicated this question is but hor do u know what type of hidden power your pokemon uses. In the smogon movesets it says Hidden Power Ice/ Hidden Power Fire. Meaning you should choose one of those. How do u know which one ur gonna get if you teach ur pokemon hidden power? How can u choose?

Thanks to whoever quotes and replies
Hidden Power's type and power is based on your Pokémon's IVs. The base power of the Hidden Power increases as your total IV amount increases, the maximum being 70, minimum being 30. The type is certain combinations of IVs, like the highest IVs a Pokémon can have for HP Ice would be 31-30-30-31-31-31, and Fire would be 31-30-31-30-31-30. A Pokémon's Hidden Power is set as soon as you get it, because the IVs are permanently set. In the DS games, there is always somebody who will tell you what Hidden Power type your Pokémon has, but they won't tell you the base power of it. I hope this helps some

Hmmm...if I were to try and get started in lc, could someone help me w/ rules/team making? It seems like a good tier, seeing as OU/ubers is full of hacked pkmn....

power items and fishing magikarp.

there are guides somewhere, but i'm not sure where it is on smogon. i wrote one here, though.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Through the use of Power Items, battling low-yield wild pokes (like Magikarp) and sticking EXP Share on all your party to reduce the amount of experience given to your trained poke, coupled with vitamins, you can get any EV spread at level 5.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)