Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer, C&C Edition

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
READ THIS BEFORE POSTING

If you're new to C&C, this is probably the best place to start asking questions, instead of posting clueless threads which will be locked, and it also prevents you being issued with a warning. If you have access to an IRC client such as mibbit or Chatzilla (for Firefox), it's a good idea to visit #C&C for some real time help, and there are always active contributors at the ready to answer your questions.

This thread is to give users a place to ask questions about C&C, ask for help with their analyses, and to give newer users a general idea of how things work. I'd like to encourage contributors and ladybug holders to answer queries as it is part of the 'job' description to encourage other users to contribute. We always appreciate help from users, even if they're less experienced than ourselves, and this thread aims to encourage helpful posting and promote more experienced users. Who knows, it may earn you a shiny new badge one day.

1) Please keep the unnecessary posting to a minimum, as this is a simple question thread. If you would like somebody to write your analyses, or if you'd like to take over an analysis that's inactive, by all means request it, but please take the conversation to VM or PM messaging afterwards. If you consistently spam this thread with unhelpful information, you may be issued with a warning.

2) Please quote the request you're replying to, as this saves confusion, and makes it a lot easier to manage transactions and queries. If you're going to simply VM or PM a user, there is no need to post here. Posts such as 'replied to the above' are pretty pointless, and needlessly raise your post count.

3) Please read the following C&C guideline threads/announcements before posting, as there's a good chance you'll find an answer here:

4) This is NOT a thread to request GP checks or QC checks. Please contact GP / QC members if you'd like them to check your analysis, or request that your thread is added to the GP queue.

Thank you.

Heres one that puzzles me still: why are the elemental gems still legal on Pokebank OU? As far as I've heard its been confirmed pokebank will not allow item transfer, and stuff like flying gem have not been found in-game. And I'm pretty sure people have tried searching every little corner of the world for it. So how long will stuff like flying gem be available? Like how long are we gonna wait untill banning the items that are not obtainable via any means in X&Y.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Heres one that puzzles me still: why are the elemental gems still legal on Pokebank OU? As far as I've heard its been confirmed pokebank will not allow item transfer, and stuff like flying gem have not been found in-game. And I'm pretty sure people have tried searching every little corner of the world for it. So how long will stuff like flying gem be available? Like how long are we gonna wait untill banning the items that are not obtainable via any means in X&Y.
This is just an oversight. The programmers have been asked to remove them from the metagame and will in due time.

Hi. I would like to ask if it would be wise to have more than one mega stone holder in my team? Both mega lucario and kangaskhan is really powerful but both are pretty weak without mega stones. But if i give them both a mega stone then one of them will be itemless when i send them both out on battle.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi. I would like to ask if it would be wise to have more than one mega stone holder in my team? Both mega lucario and kangaskhan is really powerful but both are pretty weak without mega stones. But if i give them both a mega stone then one of them will be itemless when i send them both out on battle.
As you said, they will both be itemless, leaving them both kind of weak until you decide which one to mega evolve, but you'll get the surprise value of choosing which one to evolve based on your opponenet's team makeup. It's not really a terrible decision, but in general it's usually better to build your team around one mega pokemon with things that support it (mega lucario and kangaskhan are seriously strong already so there's no harm in only planning on using one)

Not sure where I'm supposed to ask this, but does anyone actually run Starmie with Hidden Power Fire? If so, why?

Lucario is probably better off holding a life orb, as it actually is stronger than it's mega counterpart.

If I have a gyarados with intimidate, does the attack lowering effects of intimidate disappear when he mega-evolves to mold breaker? Also, is intimidate only in effect when the pokemon is in battle? (ie. triple battle).

Last edited:
Is this the right forum to ask for TSV/ESV.. (Trainer Shiny Value/Egg Shiny Value)??
read through this, though you can also ask here, i assume
What would be good builds for Metagross, Gyrados, and Dusknoir?
ask in this sqsa thread http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ask-a-simple-question-get-a-simple-answer-sqsa.3473806/
If I have a gyarados with intimidate, does the attack lowering effects of intimidate disappear when he mega-evolves to mold breaker? Also, is intimidate only in effect when the pokemon is in battle? (ie. triple battle).
same as above (SSJ George Bush's question), though i can answer this
when mgyarados mega evolves, it loses intimidate, which means upon next switch in, it will not have the attack dropping effect. if any pokemon's attack has been lowered, however, their attack will stay lowered until they switch out. regarding the second part of your question, opposing pokemon will retain the -1 attack until they switch out, regardless of whether the pokemon with intimidate is still in play

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The OP's links for the analysis formatting guide are broken. Is there a new link?
This would appear to be the spiritual successor to that guide, although it will only be relevant for 5th generation analyses at present since XY analyses are currently using a preview format until after Pokebank - the formatting guides for each respective XY metagame's preview analyses should be found in the OPs of the reservation threads.

Do moves like light screen, reflect, and rain dance take immediate effect after the move has been finished? (more geared towards triple battle, ie. prankster light screen, etc). Thanks in advance.

GatoDelFuego

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Do moves like light screen, reflect, and rain dance take immediate effect after the move has been finished? (more geared towards triple battle, ie. prankster light screen, etc). Thanks in advance.
Yes, and one of the turns that the move is allowed to be active (5 or 8 depending on item) is taken up that turn. That's why tailwind only lasts two turns after its been used. But yes, screens and weather are in effect immediately. I am not quite sure if tailwind is instant, though, as that could mess up orders of moves.

I want to contribute to the site by means of GP checking as an initial contribution, but I don't know what I have to do to be part of the GP team. Also, what is an "Amcheck"? Is it like a GP check that doesn't count towards the GP approved label? In order to become part of the GP team should I do these Amchecks by reference of the Spelling & Grammar standards on various articles and then eventually something will happen or is there another way of doing GP checks?

lab report ᐛ
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I want to contribute to the site by means of GP checking as an initial contribution, but I don't know what I have to do to be part of the GP team. Also, what is an "Amcheck"? Is it like a GP check that doesn't count towards the GP approved label? In order to become part of the GP team should I do these Amchecks by reference of the Spelling & Grammar standards on various articles and then eventually something will happen or is there another way of doing GP checks?
An Amcheck is an "amateur check" which anyone is allowed to do. You are correct in saying that this doesn't count towards the GP approval; however, it still may get stamped by an official GP team member. If you're interested in becoming a part of the GP team then I'd recommend you begin by doing am checks based on your own knowledge and the Spelling & Grammar standards. From there, I'd go from the instructions quoted below.
You may apply for the GP team at any time. To apply, you must send a private message to Jellicent, melvni, and Oglemi explaining why you think you're qualified for the team along with a list of at least three grammar checks that you've done in the past month. The leaders of GP will then review the quality of your checks together and let you know whether you've been accepted or rejected. Note that we may decide to send you a test analysis to check for further testing.

GatoDelFuego

People are accepted into the GP team on a case-by-case basis. If we think you've got what it takes, then you're basically in! Amchecks (amateur checks) are ways for us to judge your skill at grammar and prose corrections. Some people are very well-versed at editing and got on within their first checks, while others took a few months of work to get up to the standard (myself). Just open up the standards as a reference and jump right in!

Unfortunately (or fortunately), we're a little short on things that need checking at the moment.

Thank you very much. Maybe I could try amchecking a few things when then need it? I think that would be a very good place to start. Thanks agin.

Does psych up work to copy a pokemon's stat changes from stockpile?

Also, are ability changes (like mega launcher blastoise) instant with mega evolutions? I know the weather changes like charizard's drought is instant.

Last edited:

lab report ᐛ
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Does psych up work to copy a pokemon's stat changes from stockpile?
Yes, it does.

Also, are ability changes (like mega launcher blastoise) instant with mega evolutions? I know the weather changes like charizard's drought is instant.
Some are. The ones you mentioned are instant; however, those relating to turn order are not. For example, Mega Banette's status moves aren't given a Prankster boost on the turn that it mega evolves. Similarly, if Alakazam mega evolves and traces an ability that changes its speed (e.g. Chlorophyll, Prankster, etc.) then it will not count until the next turn.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)