Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: Flying Press Edition

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Welcome to the brand new Flying Press forum (formerly known as The Smog).
  1. You may ask any questions related to Flying Press; do not post threads to ask such questions.
  2. Quote the post you are replying to if it's not directly above your post.
  3. All Smogon Global Rules apply.
  4. This thread is dedicated to questions pertaining to Flying Press; it is preferred to ask Pokemon-related or other questions in the respective forum's SQSA thread.
  5. We'll have submission guidelines in an information sticky soon, which will explain how to contribute. If you have any other questions though feel free to ask them here!
FAQ

How do I become an art contributor?
Post a thread here with your work: http://www.smogon.com/forums/link-forums/artist-approvals.299/

How do I become a HTMLer?
Post a thread here outlining your past history with HTML and Programming: http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/html-approvals.342/

How can I become a GPer?
Check out these threads: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/spelling-and-grammar-standards.3490681/ and http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/grammar-prose-workshop-v2.3537543/

When do articles release?
They'll release once a week, and then slowly build to around four times a week. When a proper schedule is formed, we'll edit it in.

I have an article idea, where do I submit it?
Check out this forum: http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/article-approvals.349/ When submitting it just give us a rough outline of what you plan to do with the article.

What happens inside Media HQ?
When a thread is approved it'll be posted there. Once it's done it'll get GP checked twice, HTMLed and then it'll get art (most of the time). If it takes over a month to be finished the thread will be bumped so we can keep an eye on how you're going in regards to it.

That's about all for now, any other questions you have (or suggestions in regards to typos within already released articles), post 'em here! Have a wonderful day :)

Last edited by a moderator:
To clarify, where should we post if we have an article idea but don't know how to write it? Or if we don't want to write it?

To clarify, where should we post if we have an article idea but don't know how to write it? Or if we don't want to write it?
There's not a specific spot to submit article ideas that you aren't planning on writing yourself, but you can always PM the idea to me. If I like it, I can bounce it around with some of the other writers on the team and see if anyone wants to do it~

Reactions: MK
Sorry if this is obvious, I just saw this forum while looking for the smog, but where are the articles posted when they are completed?

Not really a question perse more of a suggeston, but could something be done linking the articles posted here to the Smog section accessible via the front page? I know at least myself I often used to click into the Smog and read articles when going to the dex or hubs via the front page. You know, distraction or whatever. I'm assuming there's a whole group of readers who aren't currently up on the change in the Smog / Article Workshop and the lack of accessibility via the front page isn't helping that. I know that there are users who don't even enter the forums and only use the dex or site hubs (when those were a thing) and they may read the Smog that's on the front page but not articles that frankly are kinda buried in the forums.

Edit: oh cool :)

Last edited:

ant

⭐️⭐️⭐️
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Not really a question perse more of a suggeston, but could something be done linking the articles posted here to the Smog section accessible via the front page? I know at least myself I often used to click into the Smog and read articles when going to the dex or hubs via the front page. You know, distraction or whatever. I'm assuming there's a whole group of readers who aren't currently up on the change in the Smog / Article Workshop and the lack of accessibility via the front page isn't helping that. I know that there are users who don't even enter the forums and only use the dex or site hubs (when those were a thing) and they may read the Smog that's on the front page but not articles that frankly are kinda buried in the forums.
An index page is being worked on :heart:

Do I have to actually be an official artist to help out with the Article Workshop? I mean, I haven't posted to the Artist Approvals yet because I'm not sure if my MS Paint stuff will even be approved, no matter how precise. I just want to help out as well.

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Do I have to actually be an official artist to help out with the Article Workshop? I mean, I haven't posted to the Artist Approvals yet because I'm not sure if my MS Paint stuff will even be approved, no matter how precise. I just want to help out as well.
Doesn't hurt to try so go for it. Bummer can give you tips to improve :)

skylight I actually went to the artist approvals, and I got a decent critique from Bummer regarding the use of hard lines. Apparently, he mentioned MS Paint won't get me anywhere, so my current style won't be the one I would use to contribute. Feel free to check out my art thread.

Anyway, may I be one of the "Approved Artists" to contribute art as well, or do I have to be really official, as in have the fancy badge?

dhelmise

everything is embarrassing
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
skylight I actually went to the artist approvals, and I got a decent critique from Bummer regarding the use of hard lines. Apparently, he mentioned MS Paint won't get me anywhere, so my current style won't be the one I would use to contribute. Feel free to check out my art thread.

Anyway, may I be one of the "Approved Artists" to contribute art as well, or do I have to be really official, as in have the fancy badge?
You have to be approved. You don't need the badge. If you look in the art tutorials thread in Sneargles studio you will find a guide by bummer that also links you to a legal free version of Photoshop CS2 and Illustrator CS2. I would link it but I'm on the phone

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
If my submitted article is rejected, how will I know? I made a thread in Article Approvals, but it disappeared overnight. How do I know if it is approved, rejected, moved or just deleted by mistake?

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If my submitted article is rejected, how will I know? I made a thread in Article Approvals, but it disappeared overnight. How do I know if it is approved, rejected, moved or just deleted by mistake?
I do see a thread of yours that was moved to the Media HQ. They might have forgotten to give you access?

I've a question: Was there ever an article written that explains how to use the Item 'Air Balloon in XY and/or OR/AS' (mons that make good use of it)?

I can't recall if there is such an article, but something in my head says yes, and i don't know how to search for articles. It may have been in The Smog... Not sure.

Have a nice day

I've a question: Was there ever an article written that explains how to use the Item 'Air Balloon in XY and/or OR/AS' (mons that make good use of it)?

I can't recall if there is such an article, but something in my head says yes, and i don't know how to search for articles. It may have been in The Smog... Not sure.

Have a nice day
I'm not sure if there's a full article on Air Balloon, but you can always dig through The Smog's archives if you're looking for something from there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)