Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: Flying Press Edition

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I submitted an article and it got approved. The thread has now been locked. What happens now?
You should be able to access a new subforum of the article workshop called "Media HQ". Just post your article there under the tag "WIP". If you can't see it, PM Bummer or Jellicent so that they can give you access.

ant

⭐️⭐️⭐️
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hello

I want to make some articles about dpp/bw or there are just 6 Gen articles now ?
Hey! This is Article Workshop, not the C&C forum where you posted. Firemage can't approve those articles, only macle, oglemi, nocheese and I can approve those. Article Workshop is another thing and is the successor of The Smog

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Is there a reason why the Articles section is so damn hard to find, browsing Smogon's main site? I mean, you either have to type the URL manually or go there via a hotlinked article in the Tweets bar. We have lots of good articles on site, but unless one is presented directly to you, they are very hard to find.

Just wondering about some semantics about the approval process. Is it okay if you write an article, and then ask for approval on the subject, instead of the other way around? I mean, there's the obvious risk that you wrote an entire article for nothing, but other than that, does the process allow for it? Because it would save a lot of time and pressure if this could be pulled off.

ant

⭐️⭐️⭐️
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just wondering about some semantics about the approval process. Is it okay if you write an article, and then ask for approval on the subject, instead of the other way around? I mean, there's the obvious risk that you wrote an entire article for nothing, but other than that, does the process allow for it? Because it would save a lot of time and pressure if this could be pulled off.
you don't need to write the entire article before submitting the idea. just the general concept of what you want to write and if your idea gets approved you'll get access to the hidden subforum where the article writing and editing process happens

Reactions: rs
Alright. I mean, I knew that you usually wrote the article after the concept submission, but just figured that possibly writing up a first draft beforehand would hasten the process considerably. I was just asking to see if the standard procedure allowed for it.

I'm not sure if I should post this here but idk were else to say it.

The recent PM I got from Smogon's Flying Press with the link to the SP7 Power Rankings was broken. It gave me a 404 error. I checked the thread of the article here and the url is different.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm not sure if I should post this here but idk were else to say it.

The recent PM I got from Smogon's Flying Press with the link to the SP7 Power Rankings was broken. It gave me a 404 error. I checked the thread of the article here and the url is different.
Fixed this, thanks for pointing this out.

Threw

cohiba
When submitting the first draft of my article, should I worry at all about formatting (besides paragraph breaks, of course), or will that be taken care of when art and such are added?

When submitting the first draft of my article, should I worry at all about formatting (besides paragraph breaks, of course), or will that be taken care of when art and such are added?
When you first apply for an article, just an outline is usually enough unless we request a writing sample. Once it's in Media HQ, formatting will be taken care of by HTML, but please don't take that as an excuse to use any obnoxious fonts or whatever. I don't think you would, but it's always good to make that clear :P

Also, sorry for the late reply! IRL stuff and all. Hit me up if you have any other questions about the zine; I usually respond pretty quickly to PMs~

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
So I know we have a thread in Firebot about this, but when in the world will we be seeing an official Smogon Awards thread. Unless the Firebot thread is what we are using for the awards, I haven't seen any initiative since the award-type nomination thread to actually have users voted for the awards and the awards being doled out. If the Firebot thread is a thing for to be taken seriously, why hasn't there been any explanation from the moderators of The Flying Press regarding the reassignment of the Awards voting process to Firebot?

I'm just honestly curious why there isn't any visible work being done on the Smogon Awards and whether or not we can expect them anytime soon.

ant

⭐️⭐️⭐️
So I know we have a thread in Firebot about this, but when in the world will we be seeing an official Smogon Awards thread. Unless the Firebot thread is what we are using for the awards, I haven't seen any initiative since the award-type nomination thread to actually have users voted for the awards and the awards being doled out. If the Firebot thread is a thing for to be taken seriously, why hasn't there been any explanation from the moderators of The Flying Press regarding the reassignment of the Awards voting process to Firebot?

I'm just honestly curious why there isn't any visible work being done on the Smogon Awards and whether or not we can expect them anytime soon.
We're working towards it. The Awards in The Smog usually happened at this time of the year anyway. We're just making improvements so it's easier for both us and the community. I hope you don't mind waiting just a bit longer as we're doing this for our readers as well.

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What kind of metagame knowledge would you need to write a spotlight article? Is it based on ladder rankings, what top people in the tier would say about you, or some combination. I'm considering writing an Arceus Normal spotlight article for AG.

ant

⭐️⭐️⭐️
What kind of metagame knowledge would you need to write a spotlight article? Is it based on ladder rankings, what top people in the tier would say about you, or some combination. I'm considering writing an Arceus Normal spotlight article for AG.
here's our Articles Index: http://www.smogon.com/articles/
search for "Spotlight" in the search bar and look at some of our past spotlights! that should give you an idea

ant

⭐️⭐️⭐️
How do I become a writer? Is there like a screening?
you just submit an article idea by creating a thread in Article Approvals

Where can I find the skeleton format for an article?
if you want to submit an article idea, you just gotta post your idea and a brief description. the skeleton will depend on what you wanna write, but it'll include an introduction and sometimes a conclusion, and then whatever you want to talk about

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)