SM UU Aurora Veil Will Never Die, But You Will

Those of you who've read my various RMTs in the past will know of my general distaste for "HO of the month."
Well, with everyone returning to good old-fashioned Azelf HO, it's time to show that we don't need Snow Warning for Veil to work.

Ol' Reliable (Sandslash-Alola) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Hail
- Aurora Veil
- Icicle Crash
- Rapid Spin

All Hail the new king. (Pun genuinely not intended, why am I a genius?)
Set up hail. Set up Veil at 500 speed. Die or spin off webs. Crash Gliscor leads, or Latios that see a free HP Fire.

Necrozma @ Mind Plate
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Photon Geyser
- Earth Power
- Rock Polish

The team is pretty weak to relentless switching once our setup sweepers are cleaned out, and in the current Scizor-Azu-Mienshao-Ambipom priority-fest metagame, that's pretty important. Rocks are necessary, and this guy does so much damage with Photon Geyser. I had one game against Stall where it 2HKOd every member of the opposing team. Anything not named Blissey or dark typed just gets smacked. 388 SpA 120 BP attacks do work. I'm tempted to replace Rock Polish with HP Fire for Scizor, but it's been quite helpful cleaning up Offence matchups.

Clinclang (Kommo-o) @ Leftovers
Ability: Soundproof
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Close Combat
- Poison Jab
- Substitute

The win-con. When the opponent sees Azu, they think that's the aim, but for this team it's not. Azu is just too easy to wear down, and its pressure really helps let Kommo-o in. Sub lets us beat Amoonguss 1v1, who's the obvious switchin to this. If they stay in and try to beat down the subs, just get to +6 and end the game.
Soundproof is chosen for bulky MAltaria with Hyper Voice. I'm yet to regret that.

Big Fat Dave (Azumarill) @ Normalium Z
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Play Rough

Standard. Bait-and-switch. Grab a kill and relevant chip, then let the opponent kill it. Once their guard is down, sweep with Kommo-o.

Zapdog (Manectric) @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Toxic

More pressure. This slot was originally Sceptile-Mega to give us an electric immunity, but the triple-dragon offence didn't do great work in a fairy filled metagame. Toxic lets us pressure absolutely nothing and really should be TBolt but i've not got around to it. (I guess its nice against Seismitoad, Quagsire, Swampert, that kind of thing.)

HAL 217 (Latias) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Healing Wish
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam

Healing Wish is love, Healing Wish is life. Extra Veils, extra setups, extra Azu pressure, all wrapped up in a nice little offensive bow. His coverage isn't redundant either due to Kommo-o not carrying any dragon STAB.

Strategy

Play your opponent's expectations. The team looks like it loses to so many offensive threats, but its surprisingly good at tanking them. Kommo-o eats +4 Bullet Punches, an intact sash can stop a sweep from Altaria, and Necrozma eats a surprising amount of things due to Prism Armor. Get rocks early, get veil early and pretend to sweep, then actually sweep.

I'm not going to do a threatlist as I haven't really played enough games with the team. Double-Scarf teams are awkward, heavy priority is awkward, physical Altaria hurts.

Overall

As I adamantly refused to play veil while Ninetales was around, I'm not that experienced with it, and the team probably shows that. I'm just trying to point out that sandslash doesn't need support to set veils up.

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi, cool team!

Alolan Sandslash, by itself, isn't a reliable Hail + Aurora Veil setter; it is beaten by common Choice Scarf users, such as Infernape and Latias, and can be beaten by priority users, such as Scizor and Lucario.
  • Aurorus > Necrozma seems really better. This not only increases the chance you will get to set up Aurora Veil on Alolan Sandslash but also means you can afford to have Light Clay on Alolan Sandslash. I would even consider Earthquake > Hail on Alolan Sandslash at this point because you already have a Hail setter and Earthquake is really nice for pressuring Fire-, Poison-, and Steel-types better.
At this point, I noticed that the matchup against Stall is really bad.
  • Double-Edge > Knock Off on Azumarill helps your Stall matchup; Z-Double-Edge lets you OHKO Quagsire after chip and also bypass item-less Amoonguss. I also changed Azumarill's EVs to outspeed uninvested Mantine, so it doesn't Haze you after a Belly Drum.
Lastly,
  • I would opt for a Substitute + Belly Drum set on Kommo-o. This set is overall more consistent than Substitute + Dragon Dance, especially under Aurora Veil, and helps your pressure Defog users, such as Gliscor and Empoleon better. I would also change Earthquake > Poison Jab to be able to hit Doublade. Earthquake already deals with the majority of Fairy-types in the tier. I like Bulletproof > Soundproof a bit more, for Stakataka, which your team has a bad matchup against. Stakataka is currently more popular than Special Mega Altaria, anyway.
Now that you have a way to punish Gliscor better...
  • Trick > Ice Beam on Latias will tremendously help you matchup against bulkier teams. Also, this is just a nitpick, but on Mega Manectric, Thunderbolt > Toxic for consistency. Regardless of consistency, Toxic is most effective if you stall out turns, something you don't wanna do when you have Aurora Veil.

Aurorus @ Focus Sash
Ability: Snow Warning
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Encore

Sandslash-Alola @ Light Clay
Ability: Slush Rush
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Aurora Veil
- Icicle Crash
- Rapid Spin

Kommo-o @ Salac Berry
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Substitute

Azumarill @ Normalium Z
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Double-Edge
- Play Rough

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt

Latias @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish
- Trick

I hope this rate helped and feel free to ask me anything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)