ORAS OU AV Tyranitar Team (Peaked 1445)

Hey guys! Unlike the others over here my peak is really low so I actually need some help :P

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 108 HP / 148 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Pursuit

The team is based on Tyranitar. With AV and Sand Stream, it's SpD skyrockets to a massive 738! After that no special attack is able to OHKO it. It survive Focus Blasts for Gengar, Mega Gardevoir and Mega Alakazam. It can also take a Scald from Manaphy at +3. A few calculations are posted for your reference.

+3 252 SpA Manaphy Scald vs. 108 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 176-210 (47.8 - 57%) -- 89.8% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 108 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 212-252 (57.6 - 68.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Starmie Hydro Pump vs. 108 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 127-151 (34.5 - 41%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Despite being such a special tank, it's not that passive offensively. Stone Edge and Crunch are there for
STAB moves. The attack EVs are just enough to OHKO Alakazam, Starmie, Gengar and Latios with Crunch. It can also OHKO them with Pursuit on the switch. EQ is for pokemon like Heatran and Bulky Steel types.

Now Tyranitar is not the only pokemon who can use Sand Stream which brings me to my second team member.

Excadrill @ Assault Vest (Will LO/Band be better??)
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

With Sand Rush, Excadrill can outspeed the entire unboosted tier as well as well as Mega Charizard X after Dragon Dance. It hits extremely hard with EQ and takes out a massive chunk of any Pokemon who doesn't resist it. Rock Slide it there to OHKO Talonflame and Mega Pinsir and to make sure it isn't completely useless against Rotom W. Iron Head is there for Fairies and is a reliable STAB that can hit Flying types. Rapid Spin is there for Hazard removal. I'm not sure about the item though. Exca would really appreciate the extra damage done by Life Orb, but that pretty much means it's not gonna survive any un-resisted hit.

252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Keldeo: 261-308 (80.8 - 95.3%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock (one of the main reason I'm using AV)

With that I needed a pokemon to counter physical attackers. In comes Landorus-T

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

In sync with Intimidate, Landorous is my answer to physical attackers. It's also the Stealth Rock setter in my team. Knock Off (because it's ridiculously OP and why not?) has the added utility of removing the foes item, which may lure in switch in's and knock their item off (Also hello Chansey!) It can knock Keldeo's Specs / Manaphy's leftovers. Earthquake for reliable STAB. Stone Edge is there to hit the flying types in the tier who are immune to EQ.

Now I needed a Pokemon with a towering offensive presence.

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Secret Sword

The general specs Keldeo. Hydro Pump can cause a huge dent on any mon who doesn't resists it, which also means there are very few switch ins. Scald is there for reliability. Secret Sword is fighting STAB type which can heavily dent Chansey and pokemon who resist water. Keldeo can also lure in psychic types, which can be pursuit bait for Ttar. HP Electric over Icy Wind, to 2HKO bulky water types, flying types which resist water and to finish off Starmie.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite (Superpower?/Knock Off?/Aerial Ace for Keldeo?)

Scizor is my bulky physical attacker. Because of its typing, it can switch on to many pokemon. Though it has a crippling 4x weakness to fire it does just fine. There have been many cases in which I've needed to use Bug Bite, but I feel it provides redundant coverage. STAB Technician Bullet Punch is just awesome, it can 2HKO Offensive T'flame after rocks, which means that it can't switch in. SD boosts it's attack to crazy levels, which also make Bullet Punch a huge threat for the opposition. Bug Bite is there for secondary STAB.

And last but not the least, due to many physical attackers, I need a cleric to heal them from burns and to heal keldeo (if paralysed)

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Heal Bell
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast

Just the standard cleric. Calm Mind can help boost it's SpA and SpD and can make Moonblast threatening. All EVs are invested into defense because Clef can increase it's SpD using Calm Mind. Heal Bell is used to cure the team for statuses. Soft Boiled to stall out an special attacking opponent while stacking Calm Mind Boosts. Moonblast is just a STAB attack.

HUGE THREATS:

Keldeo: Since half my team is Rock/Ground, Keldeo possesses a huge threat. It can be OHKOed by Excadrill under the sand (with sand damage as well) but other than that it can sweep through my team.

Ferrothorn: Once Keldeo is out, all of my attackers are physical, and can be easily walled by Ferrothorn.

Manaphy: Manaphy can be 2HKOed by Ttar, and can take 2 tail glow boosted Scald, but the chance of burn cripples it. Moreover Ttar can't defeat Manaphy if it has to switch in on a Tail Glow boosted Scald.

Also how do I post the pokemon pictures in the RMT?
To post images in a thread you need to use the following BBCode:
Code:
[img]-insert link to image here-[/img]

Example using Bisharp's animated ORAS sprite:
[img]http://media.pldh.net/pokemon/gen6/xy-animated/625.gif[/img]
And it looks like this:

Or if you are using the Rich Text just click the Image Button on the toolbar and paste your link. Hope that helps.

Now, I'm not the best at rating a team but I would like to say it seems Mega Venusaur can also put a number on your team. You don't seem to have any way to effectively take on Venusaur especially if its defensive outside of Scizor. I would also recommend switch to Band on Excadril. It helps you reliably kill off most threats in the tier since you do outspeed everything in the tier. But those are just my thoughts, not really much of a rater myself as I said so maybe someone else can give a better opinion than I can.

Last edited:
Hi. As promised, I'm here with a rate!

It's nice that you provided a threatlist already and hence I shall work on it:

Scarf > AV
AV Tar is really not recommended as TTar by itself already has enough bulk. AV doesn't give TTar anything important, as it can easily tank Dracos and hit back without it. Choice Scarf, on the other hand, gives TTar enough Speed to outspeed base 115s allowing you to revenge kill a myriad of threats that include but are not limited to Bisharp, weakened Serperior and Manaphy, something AV is unable to do. I decided to go with Scarf instead of Band as what your team lacks is more of Speed instead of power. Scarf Tyranitar is not inferior to AV Tyranitar in trapping in any way, in fact being better thanks to the extra Speed it has. Therefore, I feel that this change is necessary.

LO > AV; SD / Toxic > Rapid Spin
In no way should you run AV on an offensive mon meant to outspeed threats and hit hard. Life Orb is a lot better, allowing you to get decent rolls to 2HKO Slowbro and Ferrothorn after Rocks (AV can't even 2HKO). I think SD/Toxic is more suitable than Rapid Spin as your team isn't weak to entry hazards at all and Rapid Spin just means wasting momentum. Toxic is an unusual choice, but it is an option for hitting Lando-T so it would be worn down faster, enabling you to sweep a lot easier.

Standard Bulky SD > your set
The Scizor spread on Smogdex fulfils much more than yours. Quoting the analysis, 248 HP and 44 Def EVs with an Impish nature allows MScizor to avoid the 2HKO from max Attack Adamant Landorus-T's Earthquake and the 2HKO from Jolly Lopunny's High Jump Kick. 200 SpDef EVs ensure that Mega Scizor is never OHKOed by Clefable's Fire Blast and Timid Mega Diancie's Hidden Power Fire and never 2HKOed by Mega Gardevoir's Focus Blast and Life Orb Latios's Draco Meteor followed by -2 Hidden Power Fire. The rest is invested into Attack. As for your last move, I chose U-Turn to generate momentum, allowing you to go to one of your threats safely and attack from there. It also allows you to slowly wear down your checks to the point where you can clean with Bullet Punch.

>

As you already know, your team is extremely weak to Water types. Hence, I had to add a good Water resist and Latios is the perfect candidate for that role. I had to mons in mind to be replaced: Clefable and Lando-T, but I finally settled on Lando-T, as you already have a Ground type in Excadrill and Clefable provides more consistency with reliable recovery (Softboiled) and a wincon (Calm Mind). Latios not only gives you a Water resist, but also more Special firepower, considering how your only strong Special attacker was Keldeo. I chose to run HP Fire > Defog on Latios as it catches Ferrothorn, which as you said threatens your team, 2HKOing it in the process.

Stealth Rock > Heal Bell;
Now that your team needs Rocks, I put them on Clef instead. Heal Bell isn't really necessary since Clef can absorb status anyway, coming in on Rotom-W and Mew's WoW, opposing Clefable's TWave, etc.

Here are the sets:
Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- Crunch

Excadrill @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance / Toxic

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 44 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Hidden Power Fire

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast

That's it for my rate. Hope I helped, thanks for reading and have a nice day! n_n

I had already replaced M-Scizor by Mega Manectric for better balance :)

The usual T-bolt, Volt Switch, HP Ice, Flamethrower set with maximum speed. Helps me to revenge kill Keldeo.

I'll try out your suggestions, thanks a lot for them! :)

Also what moveset for Scarfed Ttar (Stone Edge, Pursuit, Crunch, Superpower?)

Hey swaggron711 cool team. AV Ttar is an absolute Specially Defensive beast, being able to repeatedly take hits like nobody's business. Although your team is super neat and original (never seen AV Ttar and AV Drill on the same team lol), it is very weak to water types like Keldeo, Manaphy, Azumarill, and Volcanion. AV Tyranitar is truly a niche set, and should not be used as a way of dealing with SuperEffective attacks, even if they are special. Keldeo 2HKOs with Specs Hydro Pump after SR switch in, Azumarill OHKOs with Banded SuperPower and Waterfall, and 2HKOs with Aqua Jet, Manaphy 2HKOs with +3 Scald after a SR switch in, and Specs Volcanion 2HKOs with Steam Eruption. Keep in mind this is max SpDef, with Sand, and holding the Assault Vest. All the previously listed Water-Types destroy the team as well, OHKOing or 2HKOing every Pokemon with any one of their moves, Keldeo with Secret Sword and Scald/Hydro Pump, Manaphy with +3 Scald, Azumarill with Banded or +6 Waterfall, and Volcanion with Specs Steam Eruption and Fire Blast. Being weak to an entire type is definitely not good for any team. Your team is also weak to offensive Grass types, like Serperior and Breloom, and can struggle breaking through bulkier grasses like Amoonguss and MegaVenusaur. Serperior outspeeds your entire team (except Excadrill in sand), and has the ability to 2HKO every member of the team with either Leaf Storm or HP Fire, which it almost always carries. Breloom is similar, being able to revenge kill most of the team with a Technician Mach Punch, but can also punch large walls in the team with either Technician Bullet Seed or Seed Bomb. Mega Scizor is your only way to deal with bulky Grasses like Amoonguss and Mega Venusaur, and is a shaky way to deal with them at best. With access to reliable recovery, Amoon and MegaVenu can easily stall your team. Keeping all this in mind, lets begin.

First off, with your Tyranitar, I would recommend changing it from the super specially defensive set you have to one of 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpDef, with a Relaxed Nature. This is a set allows Tyranitar to retain the support it provides your team, such as trapping Psychics like Latios and Latias, while allowing it not be limited with an Assault Vest. Tyranitar can run Stealth Rock on this set, a large positive when compared to the AV set. Pursuit and Stone Edge are still availble and recommended to give Tyranitar some offensive presence. With Pursuit, Tyranitar acts as a trapper and Stone Edge is an all-round hard hitting move. The third moveslot is a little up in the air, being available to coverage moves like Ice Beam or Fire Blast, or utility moves like Thunder Wave. Ice Beam gives you the advantage over other SR setters like Landorus-T and Garchomp, while Fire Blast is useful and can surprise Pokemon like Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory. Thunder Wave is one of the best moves in the game, and can provides invaluable Speed Control to your team. The item slot is also a little open, being able to run Leftovers or a Chople Berry. Leftovers provides natural, passive recovery that Tyrantiar lacks on it's own, while a Chople Berry can be useful against Alakazam and Gengar's Focus Blast. While it loses a little bit of Special bulk, the support Tyranitar set keeps a large amount of Special bulk and enough Physical bulk to take two Dragon Claws from Zard-X, and one +1 Earthquake from Dragonite.

Moving on to your Excadrill, I'd run an item other than an Assault Vest. Running a Life Orb greatly increases Excadrill's damage output and can turn it into the power offensive power we know it to be. You lose a little Special bulk, but running an Assault Vest without other SpDef investment doesn't really help against any relevant attacks, from what I can find.

-->
/

This is the largest change I have to suggest for your team, so bear with me for a second. Having both bulky Tyranitar and Defensive Landorus on the team is a little redundant, as both Pokemon check the same Pokemon, like Talonflame and Charizard-X. While Landorus is arguably the better physical defensive Pokemon, being able to beat both Excadrill and Garchomp on it's own, Tyranitar is still a very viable Physically Defensive Pokemon. Tyranitar also beats the Lati twins, something that Landorus does not do on it's own. For this reason, I would recommend replacing Landorus with either Amoonguss or Celebi. I normally don't recommend two different Pokemon as a replacement, but both Celebi and Amoonguss function as the same thing on the team, with slight variations. Starting off with Amoonguss, one of the premier pivots in OU, Amoonguss gives your team a switch into Keldeo, Azumarill, Manaphy, Serperior, and Breloom, most of which are top threats to your team. Amoonguss is able to switch into all the listed Pokemon, and more, and easily pivot out thanks to it's ability Regenerator. Regenerator is what puts it on par with Celebi, as it can easily heal HP by switching out. With access to Spore, Amoonguss can also cripple one of your opponent's Pokemon. Fairy coverage in Sludge Bomb also comes in handy, but can be a little redundant with both Scizor and Excadrill on the team. Clear Smog absolutely demolishes any Pokemon that think they can set up, especially non-Knock Off BD Azumarill, Contrary Serperior, and can even deter TG Manaphy from stacking SpAtk boosts. Moving on, we have Celebi. Celebi is the more defensive variant, being able to take on Excadrill, Manaphy, Keldeo and Mega Lopunny, Mega Medicham, and many more Pokemon, better than Amoonguss. While Celebi does not have access to Regenerator, it has access to Recover and Natural Cure, which can make it very hard to wear down. Celebi also has a better movepool, with neat utility moves like Healing Wish, Thunder Wave, and Baton Pass. Healing Wish can be used to bring back Excadrill or Mega Scizor or Keldeo back to life, while Thunder Wave provides wonderful Speed Control. Finally, Baton Pass is a great momentum generating move, allowing Celebi to gain offensive momentum for your team. With a spread of 252 HP / 156 Def / 84 SpD / 16 Spe with an Impish/Bold Nature allows Celebi to take less than 25% from Keldeo's Scald, should you want to run a SubPass set, and allows it to avoid the 2HKO from Adamant MegaLop's Return or Ice Punch after a SR switch, unlike Amoonguss. Celebi can also run Psychic to hit Amoonguss and MegaVenu for SuperEffective damage. Both Pokemon support Tyranitar defensively as well, as Tyranitar can take the Flying and Fire-type attacks they dislike while both Pokemon can take the Water and Grass type attacks that can hurt Tyranitar. Both should work fine on your team, and it most likely comes down to your personal preference, although I do recommend Celebi over Amoonguss, but not by a lot.

Like Tinberz I would recommend running the SmogDex EV spread of 248 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 200 SpD with an Impish Nature to improve the longevity of your Scizor, allowing it to avoid the 3HKO from Adamant Max Atk Landorus-T's Earthquake. The extra SpDef also comes in handy against Latios and Mega Gardevoir, avoid the 2HKO from LO Draco Meteor + HP Fire and the 2HKO from Focus Blast.

Finally, on to your Clefable. Instead of a fully Physically Defensive EV spread, one of 248 HP / 184 Def / 76 SpD with a Bold Nature works very well, retaining the important physical bulk (avoiding the 2HKO from Mega Lop's Return and LO Latios' Psyshock) while increasing Special bulk. While you may think that CM patches up the low SpDef, the immediate boost helps in switching in against Pokemon like Keldeo. I would also recommend running Thunder Wave over Heal Bell on Clefable, mostly because Celebi has the potential to run Healing Wish and Clefable isn't affected by status (except Paralysis) due to Magic Guard. Thunder Wave allows Clefable to beat Pokemon like opposing Clefables, Tornadus-T, and Keldeo, being able to Softboil until they get fully paralyzed, and set up a Calm Mind.

Overall, a very cool team to begin with. Water and Grass types shouldn't give you so much trouble anymore, but Volcanion can still be an issue with it's dual Water/Fire STAB combination. I tried to keep the team as original as possible, tying to only tweak the sets or movesets. Landorus to Celebi/Amoonguss is definitely the biggest change, and it can be hard to transition from using LandoT as a physically-biased Pokemon to Tyranitar. With the loss of LandoT though, Excadrill and Mega Lopunny can still be an issue, and Mega Medicham is still a large issue for the team, especially if it carries Zen Headbutt. Celebi can take one Ice Punch from Mega Medicham, but cannot deal that much damage back. Amoonguss is OHKOed by Zen Headbutt, but can also take one Ice Punch, but like Celebi, cannot do much back. With the changes I've suggested, you should be in a better spot than before, but the team still has some flaws, like it's weakness to Mega Medicham. Feel free to ask if you have any other questions.

Enjoy n_n

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast / Ice Beam / Thunder Wave

Excadrill @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Roost

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 184 Def / 76 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Thunder Wave
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 84 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- Thunder Wave / Psychic
- Healing Wish / Psychic / Thunder Wave / Baton Pass

--or--

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Sludge Bomb

Like Tinberz I would recommend running the SmogDex EV spread of 248 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 200 SpD with an Impish Nature to improve the longevity of your Scizor, allowing it to avoid the 3HKO from Adamant Max Atk Landorus-T's Earthquake. The extra SpDef also comes in handy against Latios and Mega Gardevoir, avoid the 2HKO from LO Draco Meteor + HP Fire and the 2HKO from Focus Blast.
Hello, thanks for the changes! I will definitely try using Amoongus, It handles Keldeo, Azu and Manaphy really well which my team needs (+spore *.*)

I will also try running offensive Latias as Timberz suggested.

I have also replaced Scizor with Mega Manectric to revenge kill faster threats. It also speed ties with Lopunny and hit hard as well. What do you think about the change?

252 SpA Mega Manectric Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Lopunny: 157-186 (57.9 - 68.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-1 252 Atk Mega Lopunny High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Manectric: 175-207 (62.2 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Mega Lopunny High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Manectric: 262-310 (93.2 - 110.3%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO (without Intimidate however)

So depending on whether I win the speed tie, I can deal with Mega Lopunny. Mega Medicham still OHKOs despite the Intimidate drop though :( The only way I can deal with it is to Volt Switch out to another of my pokes and get it killed.

-1 252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Manectric: 282-333 (100.3 - 118.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)