Battle Spot - Simple Questions and Answers

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I have a Specs Analytic Starmie on one of my more interesting teams - the main draw of Starmie over Greninja is the resistance to both of Blaziken's STABs (allowing it to take any one hit without a Sash, barring Knock Off or Thunder Punch) and obliterate virtually every neutral, non-Chansey switch-in in the game with Hydro Pump. Strong Psychic STAB helps against Conk and Venusaur as well. Lastly, it gets a couple of coverage options that Greninja doesn't - Dazzling Gleam, Thunderbolt and Flash Cannon give it possible hits on the likes of Hydreigon, Gyarados and Sylveon.

Yeah, there isn't much. That's about the extent of it tbh but if you're going to run Starmie over Greninja make sure you're abusing the Psychic type to the fullest, and taking advantage of Analytic or Natural Cure. Greninja does virtually everything else better.

Is Starmie worth a damn in any BS meta? I just bred one out of boredom on an airplane and am kinda wondering if its of any actual use. Fast Expert Belt set? is Defensive Starmie a thing?
Starmie is interesting. It seems like it should be good, and it can do a lot of stuff, but other things can usually do that too and better. 60/85/85 bulk isn't exactly God awful, but definitely not great either with all those weaknesses and undermines Recover and Cosmic Power. The bad typing does make Reflect Type somewhat appealing, but then you lose STABs which is bad. Starmie has dual screens and T-Wave, but Klefki is a much better screener, and there are hoards of better t-wavers. Outside of Minimize and all the coverage, and two fairly good abilities, Starmie is one of the few decent things to get Brine. Not that that's much good really, but it's 20 BP stronger and 100% accurate if the foe is at half health or less.

For doubles which is more your thing I think Starmie could be an interesting expirement. ofc...pretty much anything can be. Starmie can use Skill Swap to make its ally a brutal Analytic or a bulky thing that switches out to heal it's status...once anyways. Same deal to steal nice enemies abilities and/ or ruin them. Starmie can set Gravity(eh, use Cress or P2,) TR(how bout no. Not even if it makes Analytic easier to use,) and can be annoying setting up behind screens or with redirection. Also Reflect Type to copy an allies' type that's good, or an enemies tho again there's the STAB thing.

I've always played competitive singles on simulators but I want to get into Battle Spot. Is there like a standard team I can start with/somewhere I can see other people's teams for either 3v3 singles of 4v4 doubles? I'd love to try my hand in the Sinnoh classic upcoming tourney.

I've always played competitive singles on simulators but I want to get into Battle Spot. Is there like a standard team I can start with/somewhere I can see other people's teams for either 3v3 singles of 4v4 doubles? I'd love to try my hand in the Sinnoh classic upcoming tourney.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/s11-bss-japanese-team-translations.3553696/
This is this sub-forum's sample team thread for BSS. The main problem with them is that they are pretty outdated (these are season 11 teams, and we are in 16 now), but if you are just getting started in BSS they are pretty good, especially since all of them got to 2000+ in the season that they were made.

Have fun, and welcome to Battle Spot!

Sinnoh Classic is really hard to enter thanks to GO all but bricking the PGL servers so that may not be possible.
Singles teams, Arco posted up. Here's the sample teams for Battle Spot Doubles: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/battle-spot-doubles-sample-teams.3560836/
Those are all mid-2014 at the oldest. Seasons 14/15

Would it be worth running this set for Battle Spot? (Mainly thinking for Doubles, but an altered set would work for Singles too)

Salamence @ Salamencite
Intimidate -> Aerilate
228 SAtk / 28 SDef / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- Protect
- Hyper Voice
- Draco Meteor
- Facade

So while the Smogon analysis suggests running ~28 Atk EVs to OHKO Max Def Amoonguss with Double Edge, I'm not using that move (using Facade to absorb/benefit from status) so thought I'd lump those EVs elsewhere. Putting 28 into SDef ensures that Salamence, when Mega Evolved, will survive a HP Ice from any Thundurus that doesn't have a power-boosting held item (i.e. Sitrus Berry Thundurus). I'm having quite a bit of trouble with Thundurus in both Singles and Doubles, but otherwise my team is fairly solid (and already bred) so I thought I'd make this slight change to try and help me out a bit.

That said, is it worth it? Thundurus still cripples me with Thunder Wave, and I can't afford to take any prior damage beforehand. And, perhaps more importantly, I already have a Flawless Naive Salamence (shoutout to Theorymon's giveaway) and I'm really not sure this change is worth going into all the effort to breed a Hasty one, especially as, being a mixed attacker, it should preferably be flawless.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Would it be worth running this set for Battle Spot? (Mainly thinking for Doubles, but an altered set would work for Singles too)

Salamence @ Salamencite
Intimidate -> Aerilate
228 Atk / 28 SDef / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- Protect
- Hyper Voice
- Draco Meteor
- Facade

So while the Smogon analysis suggests running ~28 Atk EVs to OHKO Max Def Amoonguss with Double Edge, I'm not using that move (using Facade to absorb/benefit from status) so thought I'd lump those EVs elsewhere. Putting 28 into SDef ensures that Salamence, when Mega Evolved, will survive a HP Ice from any Thundurus that doesn't have a power-boosting held item (i.e. Sitrus Berry Thundurus). I'm having quite a bit of trouble with Thundurus in both Singles and Doubles, but otherwise my team is fairly solid (and already bred) so I thought I'd make this slight change to try and help me out a bit.

That said, is it worth it? Thundurus still cripples me with Thunder Wave, and I can't afford to take any prior damage beforehand. And, perhaps more importantly, I already have a Flawless Naive Salamence (shoutout to Theorymon's giveaway) and I'm really not sure this change is worth going into all the effort to breed a Hasty one, especially as, being a mixed attacker, it should preferably be flawless.

Thoughts?
I would probably just stick with Naive on Salamence. You should also move evs into Special Attack since you're probably going to be using Hyper Voice the most. I'm not a fan of Facade on Salamence but if it's working for you, you can keep it.

I would probably just stick with Naive on Salamence. You should also move evs into Special Attack since you're probably going to be using Hyper Voice the most. I'm not a fan of Facade on Salamence but if it's working for you, you can keep it.
Oops that is a typo there. Yeah the Evs are all in SAtk for Hyper Voice. So you don't think it's worth the effort for helping check Thundurus that little bit more?

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Oops that is a typo there. Yeah the Evs are all in SAtk for Hyper Voice. So you don't think it's worth the effort for helping check Thundurus that little bit more?
Most Thundurus don't usually run max Special Attack without boosting item anyway so I don't think it's worth it.

Hello! I'm a new player wanting to get into competitive pokemon battling. I'm also wanting to get into Battlespot singles. I'm not sure where to start off though. Does anyone have any sample teams featuring either Blastoise or Gyarados that I could build and learn with?

Hello! I'm a new player wanting to get into competitive pokemon battling. I'm also wanting to get into Battlespot singles. I'm not sure where to start off though. Does anyone have any sample teams featuring either Blastoise or Gyarados that I could build and learn with?
Here's a Mega Blastoise team I've personally gotten along well with that you can try:

Blastoise-Mega @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Rain Dish
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Water Pulse
- Aura Sphere
- Ice Beam
- Aqua Jet

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Rock Tomb
- Swords Dance

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 212 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Bullet Seed

Sylveon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 4 HP / 4 Def / 244 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Shadow Ball
- Sleep Talk
- Hyper Beam

Volcarona @ Lum Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 116 HP / 4 Def / 176 SpA / 212 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Quiver Dance
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Thundurus (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 236 HP / 240 Def / 4 SpA / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
If you need access to a flawless Bold Thundurus then send me a PM and I'll clone one of mine for you.

If you need access to a flawless Bold Thundurus then send me a PM and I'll clone one of mine for you.
Awesome! Thank you! I am in need of one I don't have a collection of anything really trained or breed on my 3ds yet. I'm a little uneasy about cloning though. Is it legal? What's the risks of it? Are there any risks?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Awesome! Thank you! I am in need of one I don't have a collection of anything really trained or breed on my 3ds yet. I'm a little uneasy about cloning though. Is it legal? What's the risks of it? Are there any risks?
Clones are completely fine for gameplay. The only issue comes down to personal morals, but if you don't mind then it's fine.

There's no difference between a cloned Pokemon and the original; each are represented by the same X-number of bytes of data. Additionally, since it's possible to clone without the use of external devices (I use the method of trading between two DSes), which is generally where legality issues arise, the general consensus is that it's fine. In other words: if the original was legit, then the clone theoretically is as well and you won't run into any problems.

Here's a Mega Blastoise team I've personally gotten along well with that you can try:

Blastoise-Mega @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Water Pulse
- Aura Sphere
- Ice Beam
- Aqua Jet

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Rock Tomb
- Swords Dance

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 212 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Bullet Seed

Sylveon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 4 HP / 4 Def / 244 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Shadow Ball
- Sleep Talk
- Hyper Beam

Volcarona @ Lum Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 116 HP / 4 Def / 176 SpA / 212 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Quiver Dance
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Thundurus (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 236 HP / 240 Def / 4 SpA / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
What's the purpose of having 0 at and 0 spe ivs on sylvion and ferro thorn respectively?

What's the purpose of having 0 at and 0 spe ivs on sylvion and ferro thorn respectively?
  1. On Pokemon that only use special attacks it's beneficial to minimize the Attack stat because it causes them to take less damage from confusion and Foul Play.
  2. The base power of Ferrothorn's Gyro Ball is dependent on its Speed stat relative to the target's; minimizing Ferrothorn's Speed improves its damage output.

1. On Pokemon that only use special attacks it's beneficial to minimize the Attack stat because it causes them to take less damage from confusion and Foul Play.
  2. The base power of Ferrothorn's Gyro Ball is dependent on its Speed stat relative to the target's; minimizing Ferrothorn's Speed improves its damage output.
Ok. That makes sense. That seems difficult to breed for or at least time consuming.

Ok. That makes sense. That seems difficult to breed for or at least time consuming.
You can think of an importable like that as representing the "ideal" state of that team. Very often players will settle for 5 IVs instead of 6 by, for example, not minimizing the Attack stat on special attackers, as the benefit is fairly minimal. The important thing is to get onto the ladder and start playing, so don't feel too bad if you have to cut a few corners. That said, breeding for specific IVs is much easier with access to flawless Dittos.

At the moment I don't have access to anything near a flawless ditto. I have read they are easier to get in x and y but at the moment I only have alpha sapphire. I plan on getting the others soon though. I've played around a bit on Showdown, but am still learning . . . Or trying too.

Seeing that as the ideal stat spread makes a lot of sense.

So I keep on getting the idea to try Baton Pass but it seems like its a good idea in theory. Beyond Blaziken, Espeon/Umbreon, and Scolipede with their associated obvious strategies, are their nuances with the strategy that I could explore?

At the moment I don't have access to anything near a flawless ditto. I have read they are easier to get in x and y but at the moment I only have alpha sapphire. I plan on getting the others soon though. I've played around a bit on Showdown, but am still learning . . . Or trying too.

Wi-Fi section offers flawless Ditto for free.

I can give u a 6 iv ditto if you cart get one

Ross

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)