Battling 101 Classroom Clash - Week 2 [see post #69]

Status
Not open for further replies.

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Format:
  • 64 players, 8 teams (which we will call classes because it's B101), 8 players per class. Each class gets x amount of teachers who specialize in certain tiers who will be assigned to teach, ghost, practice against, do whatever it takes to get their team to win. Hopefully this will be a good experience for people who didn't get selected in a B101 round to work alongside a good battler and get some advice.
  • The 8 classes will be split into two divisions, which we will call schools. Each school has 4 classes, and they will all fight against the opposing school. Each class will fight a different class within the opposing school every week.
  • The classes will then be seeded based on record, and will all be put into an 8 man team tournament for the remainder of the tournament.
  • Tiers will rotate depending on what kinds of teachers are willing to participate. Every week should ideally be a new tier, but we'll see after we get a general idea of how many teachers per tier/metagame.

This week's tier is ORAS Ubers. All players will be required to use one of the following cores:

Arceus-Ghost + Mega Mawile

+

Mega Sableye + Arceus-Water

+

Arceus-Electric + Mega Gengar

+

Mega Scizor + Arceus-Rock

+

Try to innovate and think outside the box!

Teachers for this week:

Krokorok Institute of Capshooters - Krauersaut

Haunter Harvard Girls Boarding School - Haruno

Pairings:

The Gym Raticates (4) vs The Weeaboo Pumpkaboos (3)

Stall Hater vs scald
Master Sunny-EX vs Luxray
littlelucario vs -Voltage-
Unlucky Desperado
vs Lord Xen III
Fredrick1 vs lighthouses
Esidisi
vs Ranger Mike
TraceofLife vs ForgottenOnes
Rhythms vs Disenchanted

The Honor Rogenrollas (2) vs The Solrock Stoners (4)

Always! vs Get this Money
C9 DRM2K vs Ox the Fox
North vs Zahard
fapkingg vs The Idiot Ninja
Kreme vs Altina
clius vs LetMeShine-
Heatedline vs Melodic D Minor
Fabulous but lazy
vs Yucudo

The Prom Night Slowbros (7) vs The Teacher's Petilils (0)

s_aman vs ready2go202
jacob vs NicoReaper
Silverwhiteblue vs Max Carvalho
TK67 vs Stockings
Criticality vs Welli0u
Brick Small. vs Snowy.
theurbandear vs Riuka Heartfilia
Croven vs LeoLancaster

The Lunch Money Granbulls (5) vs The Marching Band Loudreds (1)

Jariibo
vs Robert.
W2S vs Ununhexium
Mistaken vs Half of Two
Rapture. vs punkysaur
EdwardElric15 vs PikachuCandyツ
Dominatio vs ~GreenCore
Sir_Bagel vs Joltage
Xhaka vs Drift Wizard

Standings

A note regarding the cores which some people have expressed concern about: the fact that some cores may be weak to others is exactly the point of it. We're trying to encourage you to think creatively and build around the core you choose to make sure that you aren't weak to other cores. You have 4 other Pokemon to build the team with; try to use those to support the core.

Have fun everyone! Deadline's Sunday night.

Last edited:

Krauersaut

h.t.d.t.
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Yo, not trying to impose or anything, but who was consulted in Ubers with these cores, if anyone? We have one completely standard core, two that could work if you tried hard enough, and one that is the Pokemon equivalent of ebola. I can't see how using any of these cores would advance my tutee's knowledge of the Ubers metagame, as the only viable, meta one just so happens to be not only one of the most common, but is inclined towards a playstyle which requires meta knowledge far beyond that of anyone new to Ubers to use in ORAS (this being stall). I would suggest entirely removing the Mawile-Mega + Arceus-Ghost "core" and instead adding two other cores in its place, possibly more "meta" ones such as Primal Groudon + Klefki + Giratina-O, or Tyranitar + Excadrill + Latias, or WHATEVER, I'm sure there's plenty of people who could pitch in to give ideas.

my 2c

Last edited:

Amaranth

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
UPL Champion
Solrocks are with the Haunter school, so they should go on the right side in the matches, not on the left side; in the standings the Pumpkaboos became pumpkins for some reason

Also, contacted

Since I made those cores, it is obvious that I will answer to your statement now, Krauersaut. Those cores are legit, they feature four different archetypes of the ubers metagame in Hyper Offense, Balance, Offense and Stall. It is your job as a tutor to teach your tutees that stuff, like building a team with all those styles and point out which of those playstyles is the best. The challenge is not to be weak to any of those cores, which is pretty hard, because if you beat Hyper offense with no problems, you will most likely lose to stall. To succeed, you will have to find a strategy involving one of those four cores that has the best shot of winning against those four cores and then successfully execute those teams. If you recheck some prominent RMTs you will find those cores as well and to be honest, I have teams with all of those cores, I have not created those cores because of boredom, those are legit. We provided you options to build different teams with those cores and you got to point out which is the best one and which pokemon can beat those cores.

As far as your concern with the cores, we don't really care if some of the cores are not in the current metagame trend because that's where the learning from teambuilding comes from. If all we had were options to teambuild from in the meta, they would just be options and the reasoning given would be "because they just are." People don't understand the value of why things would be in the meta. Yes it's easier to build stuff if they are currently in the meta, but through teambuilding with unorthodox cores, people that don't have much experience will learn more about those details. General teambuilding concepts will still be learned and can be applied across the metagames.

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
If you folks want replacement cores
Mega Gengar / Yveltal
Primal Groudon / Mega Salamence
Latias or Latios / Primal Groudon
Lugia / Primal Groudon / Arceus-Water (or Dragon if you want to have something creative to work with as they both do almost the same thing with slight variance and Water, latios or Latias being better most of the time. The difference is, this mon works unlike mawile or ghosty.)
Ho-Oh / Arceus
There are more, but i am kinda scrapped for time, so i will leave this here for now. Once again these are only suggestions as i fully agree with krauer and steel.

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
I don't agree with the concept of Arceus+Mega as the core idea either. One of the key features of Ubers play is deducing what your opponents Arceus forme could be and planning accordingly, whereas in this you're going to know exactly what Arceus your opponent is running and therefore removing a key feature of Ubers gameplay. Not to mention Eleceus usually only does it's work lategame when it's been hidden in the back while the opposing pdon has been weakened by overloading it with something like a Kyogre so it might actually have a chance to sweep. In this format, it's actually somehow worse than in reg Ubers because it loses any hope of surprise.

Wreckdra's cores are cool

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I don't know enough about Ubers to comment about the cores, but I do think that having a group of established members deciding what the cores will be beforehand would help a lot. But, another direction would be to eliminate the cores requirement altogether since the entire premise doesn't seem to be gaining much popularity whatsoever. I've seen lots of complaints from tutors and tourney participants alike on the matter, so I'd really just give them what they want and trash the idea entirely. Looking down the line, I have no idea how we'd be able to get a bunch of people to agree on "cores" when we have little to no help for lesser played tiers like dou and nu.

Even if we put more effort into making these cores legit, I'm pretty doubtful that we'd be able to start things in a timely manner when (and even if) we'd be able to gather a group of competent players to agree on a set amount of cores every week, I'm leaning towards just getting rid of the cores thing by the end of this round. Pokemon's pokemon, you're learning something whether you're forced to use shit or you're not as long as you're playing the metagame. If players are getting their feet wet into metagames they've never played before in this tournament, it's good enough for me.

I think in theory it would be a cool addition to this tournament, but waiting for people to decide on cores is slowing this shit down, and the last thing I want is this tournament to drag on for 4 months. Unless there's overwhelming support from tournament participants (and I say tournament participants, not random spectators in this tournament) to keep the cores idea for future rounds, let's eliminate it. IronBullet

Cores stay the way they are for this round unless Steve Angello changes his mind. Krau stop annoying me on Skype. Thank you everyone.

Thought I would pitch in, as I can present the side of both a tutor and someone in the tour. When I first signed up for the tour, the main reason I joined was the general concept, as it was pretty interesting and seemed like a lot of fun to build around some hand picked cores, as well as have a team environment building with you. This is why I believe "trashing" the idea would be very counter productive, as it's key part of what makes this tour more challenging and fun. In saying this, I do have to agree that a majority of the cores we have received have been nothing more than underwhelming. I think the best solution here involves our current tutors pitching in a variety of cores to be voted on and selected by the majority of tutors before the next round, to prevent delay. At the end of the day there might be another better solution, but this is the most of obvious and simply methodmethod I can think of as of right now. Of course this is going to involve some effort from the tutors to create these cores and present them for a voting before the next round, but by the concerns of everyone about these cores, I'm sure all of us wouldn't mind pitching in a bit n_n

Amaranth

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
UPL Champion
Dropping my opinion as a player in the tourn

I'm a mainly OU player, joined this to get better at other tiers. Having a Zard Y core bugged me a bit because a lot of Zard Y's power comes from not knowing if it's X or Y; I like the challenges and the creativity in general, but not in this tournament. We are here to learn the basics of all the tiers, and if I have to learn an Ubers without ekiller and megamence I might win my match, but I won't stand a chance in the normal meta. In week 1 this was minor because only the CharY core gave you altered perceptives of the meta - not giving newcomers the experience of facing a Charizard and not knowing his form. With Arceus I imagine this is a lot worse.
I guess you'd have to figure out what you want your players to learn with this tournament. Since the tournament was presented as a chance to learn new tiers I think you should teach us standard play, and to do that the best thing is removing cores entirely.
Also, would like an extension of 2-3 days in case the ruleset for this round gets changed.

Unlucky Desperado

Banned deucer.
Going back to the OU thing, I really disliked the cores and felt it was really restrictive. However I still got creative if not a little gimmicky by using 2 cores so that I could use Mega Zard X over Y (how do u like that predictability idiot ninja?)

Now to apply to Ubers, I think this is a tier where there's a fuckton of threats and it's difficult to check them. I don't have as much experience with Ubers but matchup and other concerns are worse than OU. The idea of basically banning ekiller and megamence, two centralizing threats seems like a good idea especially from a teambuilding standpoint and players perspective (I tend to want as many checks to as many threats as possible with the mons on my team). However the way of approaching maybe a better Ubers meta game was really poor. The cores are really bad and if the goal is to make people learn the Ubers meta game then this is a step in the other direction. I have no doubt that Steve Angello has teams with these Pokemon together, but you can't take two Pokemon on the same team and call it a core.

My personal attitude is "fuck it, it is the way it is and let's just deal with it" but if the staff are going to change the rule I suggest doing it after this week.

I do not change my mind for the moment. I wanna see matches and no discussion posts here anymore, we may open another discussion-/feedbacktopic where you guys can vote for cores or not. It's not the right place here, but I like your feedbacks, it's important.

Have a nice day.

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I still support the idea in theory because if appropriate cores are chosen then they do encourage creativity and can give tutees a better understanding of the metagames, but as Plus said the time it would take to gather competent players to establish 4-5 acceptable cores is not worth it if it's going to slow the tour down too much. Steve said cores will stay this round as they are so that's that, and we'll talk about how to proceed from next round onwards soon.

Subbing Mistaken over Fortune

we all get the same shit or the same cash cores so no ones ever really at a disadvantage, all it takes is for a tutor to say hey this core (a) is booty dont use it in the meta instead use this cash (b) or perhaps even this (c) if ur goin for a different approach - for the time bein tho we can only use (a) so heres a squad just dont ever use it again in actual competitive play

also prob playin on the weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)