HP:79
Atk:83
Def:100
SpAtk:85
SpDef:105
Spd:78​

Traits:
Torrent: Increases power of Water-type moves when at 1/3 HP​

Rain Dish (Dream World): Restores 1/16 HP every turn in the rain.

Lv1:Flash Cannon
Lv1:Tackle
Lv4:Tail Whip
Lv7:Bubble
Lv10:Withdraw
Lv13:Water Gun
Lv16:Bite
Lv20:Rapid Spin
Lv24:Protect
Lv28:Water Pulse
Lv32:Aqua Tail
Lv39:Skull Bash
Lv46:Iron Defense
Lv53:Rain Dance​

Lv60:Hydro Pump​

TM05:Roar
TM06:Toxic
TM07:Hail
TM10:Hidden Power
TM13:Ice Beam
TM14:Blizzard
TM15:Hyper Beam
TM17:Protect
TM18:Rain Dance
TM21:Frustration
TM23:Knock Down-[Physical][50 BP][100 Acc][15 PP]Grounds Flying types and Levitators
TM26:Earthquake
TM27:Return
TM28:Dig
TM31:Brick Break
TM32:Double Team
TM39:Rock Tomb
TM42:Facade
TM44:Rest
TM45:Attract
TM48:Sing-A-Round-[Special][60 BP][100 Acc][15 PP]Attacks opponent with song. If everyone sings together, you can use this in succession and power the move up.
TM52:Focus Blast
TM55:Boiling Water-[Special][80 BP][100 Acc][15 PP]Damages and causes burn (30%).
TM56:Fling
TM68:Giga Impact
TM74:Gyro Ball
TM78:Level Ground-[Physical][60 BP][100 Acc][20 PP]Damages and lowers opponent's speed.
TM80:Rock Slide
TM82:Dragon Tail-[Physical][60 BP][90 Acc][10 PP]Damages and forces opponent to switch.
TM87:Swagger
TM90:Substitute
TM91:Flash Cannon
TM94:Rock Smash
HM03:Surf
HM04:Strength
HM05:Waterfall
HM06:Dive

Mirror Coat
Haze
Mist
Forsight
Flail
Refresh
Mud Sport
Yawn
Muddy Water
Fake Out
Aqua Ring
Aqua Jet
Water Spout
Brine

The original Bulky Water, Blastoise has carved out a niche as a useful, UU Rapid Spinner. The transition to Gen V, however, has brought several new toys for the giant, water cannon-sporting turtle to play with:

Rain Dish: By far and away one of Blastoise's most useful tools is Rain Dish, its new ability. This means that, along with Leftovers recovery, the standard Blastoise will now survive longer, particularly since Politoed has recieved Drizzle with the arrival of Dream World.

Boiling Water: Another useful move comes in the form of Boiling Water, which quite easily replaces Surf as its STAB move of choice. In addition to being a powerful Water-type attack, it also has a 30% chance of Burning the opponent, which helps Blastoise greatly in walling physical attackers.

Moveset(s):

Utilitoise:
Blastoise @ Leftovers
Bold (+Def, -Atk)
Torrent/Rain Dish
252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpAtk/SpDef
Boiling Water
Rapid Spin
Toxic/Yawn
Rest/Ice Beam/Protect

Yes, the standard Utility set from Gen V makes a comeback, and it's better than ever! Boiling Water takes the place of Surf due to its Burnhax, Rapid Spin for getting rid of those annoying entry hazards, Toxic for stalling out opposing Bulky Waters or Yawn for Phazing support, and either Rest for keeping Blastoise healthy during his stay on the battlefield (helped along by Leftovers AND Rain Dish recovery); Ice Beam to his Grass-types who will try to force you out, or Protect to buy an extra turn of Poison/Burn damage. Rain dish is the preferred ability on this defensive set, but Torrent will also work if you don't have a reliable way of getting Rain up (Politoed shares Blastoise's weaknesses, after all).

Stall Whore(suggested by Blatreutka):

Blastoise @ Leftovers
Bold (+Def, -Atk)
Rain Dish
252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpDef
-Substitute
-Boiling Water/Surf
-Aqua Ring/ Yawn/ Protect
-Toxic

This set loses Spin support in order to stall out the opponent. Switch in on a Poke Blast can scare away, set up Sub on the switch, use Aqua Ring to restore even more HP, and Toxic to slowly destroy anything that stands in your way. Yawn or Protect can also be used in the third slot, with Yawn phazing away potential sweepers (though it conflicts with Toxic, so make sure you decide which status move you want to use) and Protect buying an extra turn of Toxic damage. Boiling Water can also be used to stop physical sweepers, but because the burn chance conflicts with Toxic (you don't want something like Lanturn switching into Boiling Water and miss your chance to Poison it), Surf is also a viable attack.

And, so, that's Blastoise in a nut--er, turtle shell. Feel free to post your own sets (or variations of this on)!

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
In OU he's outclassed by Mamanbou (165 HP, 80 Def With Hydration), If Vaporeon sees the darkness of UU (Because, compared to Mamanbou, Vaporeon is mostly outclassed), I could see a NU Blastoise.

However, he's still seems like a decent Bulky Water and Rain Dish and Rapid Spin help him out a lot.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I've always preffered a set of Surf/Rapid Spin/Toxic/Mirror Coat, and the only thing I'm apt to change is Boiling Water over Surf. Blastoise's niche has always been as a bulky Rapid Spinner and he's always had competiton from Starmie. Either way that set has always done well for me as it can deal with ghosts quite well in general.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
May I ask the merits of using Mamanbu over Blastoise? To me, Blastoise is already pretty solid on both sides of the spectrum.

How in the world is Vaporeon outclassed? Vaporeon can actually attack, and has better overall bulk.

If it has rain support if could use a set like this:

Blastoise @ Leftovers
Bold (+Def, -Atk)
Rain Dish
252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpDef
-Substitute
-Boiling Water
-Aqua Ring/ Yawn/ Protect
-Toxic

It loses spin support but it has a lot of survivability with Leftovers, Rain Dish, and Aqua Ring. It can set up a lot of substitutes, but risks being set up one by special (or some physical) sweepers if it uses Aqua Ring or Protect. If you decide to run Yawn instead, it is great for phazing to stop opposing sweepers or to cause hazard damage, but it is less durable.

Starme is definitely a top tier poke. However, I can see Blastoise becoming a solid alternative as a Bulky spinner. Mostly do to not having a pursuit weakness, and the new threat that is Shanderaa.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Staryu is definitely a top tier poke. However, I can see Blastoise becoming a solid alternative as a Bulky spinner. Mostly do to not having a pursuit weakness, and the new threat that is Shanderaa.
Staryu? What?

Also, Boiling Water is pretty much Standard here. Vaporeon and Blastoise have their own ways of supporting the team.

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
How in the world is Vaporeon outclassed? Vaporeon can actually attack, and has better overall bulk.
In the Rain, Surf/Boiling Water is gonna do damage anyway. Also, Mamanbou has 35 More Base HP, and 15 More Base defense, which makes Mamanbou incredibly better at Physical Walling, especially with things with Giant Attack stats and Overconfidence Flying around. If you were to use Vaporeon, you'd have to go on The Special Walling Side.

May I ask the merits of using Mamanbu over Blastoise? To me, Blastoise is already pretty solid on both sides of the spectrum.
Mamanbou has instant Recovery thatt heals all his HP, Immune to Status, much Higher Base HP and Defense. Blastoise has much higher Sp.Def though, and can Rapid Spin. I don't think it's enough to make him OU though.

yessssssssssss my favorite Pokemon.

To be honest, I never used Rain Dish on Ludicolo, always preferred Swift Swim, so I'm not sure if it's actually preferred over Torrent. Torrent + Hydro Pump actually does pretty decent damage. Not entirely uncommon to see Blastoise go under 1/3 HP and proceed to kick face with a charged up Surf/Hydro Pump. It's especially useful against spin blockers. For more survivability, in Rain Dance teams, Rain Dish definitely gets the nod.

Still sadface that Blastoise doesn't get Shell Break. It's a freakin' turtle for pete's sake.

In OU he's outclassed by Mamanbou (165 HP, 80 Def With Hydration), If Vaporeon sees the darkness of UU (Because, compared to Mamanbou, Vaporeon is mostly outclassed), I could see a NU Blastoise.

However, he's still seems like a decent Bulky Water and Rain Dish and Rapid Spin help him out a lot.
How is vappy outclassed by that idiot? Vappy has some awesome sp atk stats compared to a vast majority of water types combing with fantastic natural bulk, a great ability and a decent movepool.

Mamanbou has 40 base special attack, have fun. Besides, this thread isn't about Mamanbou, Vaporeon, or any other fucking bulky water. Back on topic:

Rain Dish is more useful for Blastoise than Torrent (bar the anti-lead set), but I think Boiling Water is the best pickup. It sucks when Venusaur constantly switches into you, threatens with Power Whip, and uses Synthesis to recover your pitiful Ice Beam damage. Now Boiling Water threatens to burn him. :D

I believe Vaporeon really got the most benefits in this generation when it comes to water types, and its also pretty clear that Vaporeon is better then Mamanbou, at least in theory.

Blastoise getting boiling water is a nice addition, though many other waters also got it. Rain dish helps Blastoise a bit, but compared to the abilities other pokemon have been receiving it just doesn't cut it. Its a shame, Blastoise is such a cool pokemon. I am guessing this minor additions will be enough to keep Blastoise in UU but I don't think it's likely that it will reach OU light. It is outclassed by so many bulky waters.

Blast's big nitch to me was always that he was a bulky water rapid spinner. Unless more spinners come along to take that spot I don't see Blast going anywhere. And of course getting a few extra tid-bits here and there (Boiling Water) doesn't hurt.

The problem with the stall whore is that... well, Rain doesn't damage enemies. Oh well.
To me, Blastoise is always going to be a bulky spinner.
So for me Rapid Spin is a need on damn near every Blastoise set bar the rain stall one (which sincerely i have my doubts. Won't Ludicolo be better?).

Boiling Water is a good addition nonetheless.

Can i suggest something crazy?

Blastoise @ Life Orb
252 SpA/ 252 Spe/ 6 HP
Timid
Rain Dish

-Water Spout
-Hydro Pump
-e Beam
-HP Electric/ HP Grass/ Focus Blast

Use it in Rain. Rain Dish cures the LO damage, so you can keep Spouting all over.

Just an idea. Not too practical because Blastoise is... slow.

^ 252spA not atk si?
Also, tbh I don't see blastoise ebing one of the "it" pokemons of gen 5
However, with perma rain or rain being boosted with this gen, blastoise will obviously get more attention. though it would've been nice if it got an instant recovery move (oh well).

Blastoise doesn't really need speed IMO. He's just too slow. I posted a life orb set too, but accidentally deleted it, but I ran max HP EV's instead of running speed which makes him more bulky. Modest nature for maximum damage as well. Rapid spin should be ran for utility even for a damaging set.

It really does suck that he did not get Shell Break. T_T

It really does suck that he did not get Shell Break. T_T
Shell Break Pass from Smeargle to a Blastoise. If it's Drizzling, you have a stupid fast turtle blasting off Surf/Boiling Water with pretty damn good power and constantly regenerating Life Orb damage.

Gimmicky, but I'm going to try it. :D

Shell Break Pass from Smeargle to a Blastoise. If it's Drizzling, you have a stupid fast turtle blasting off Surf/Boiling Water with pretty damn good power and constantly regenerating Life Orb damage.

Gimmicky, but I'm going to try it. :D
LOL, thats a cool idea lol. I'm going to try that too. NINJA TURTLE!!!

Blastoise also isn't weak to any Priority, unlike Cloyster. Hell, Blastoise resists Bullet Punch at the very least, so it might be able to take one and send Scizor to hell in return.

Blastoise can take more than one Bullet Punch from Scizor. Scizor gets destroyed if he isn't using anything else other than Bullet Punch. Surf and hydro pump wreck him.

Blastoise can also run Aqua Jet for his own priority and use it just before he dies, even for a special attacker variant.

Blastoise can take more than one Bullet Punch from Scizor. Scizor gets destroyed if he isn't using anything else other than Bullet Punch. Surf and hydro pump wreck him.

Blastoise can also run Aqua Jet for his own priority and use it just before he dies, even for a special attacker variant.
Not to mention Blastoise's Attack is only two below his Special Attack, so you could be dickish and pull off a Mix set or something. Surf/Earthquake/Ice Beam/Something after a Shell Break Pass.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)