Boss Battles: Which is your favorite of all time?

It's hard to narrow one down, but Meta Ridley in Metroid Prime 3 is a recent favorite. I am also agreeing with Vineon that DKC and 64 had had good final bosses.

I've got to say that the hardest boss I've ever faced was the Cloud of Darkness in FFIII (for the DS) on my first playthrough. That thing was was awesome.

The funnest was probably the Sattellite in Starfox Command, even though it's really easy.

draygon from super metroid was great because of how difficult he was, but there was also a genius move you could pull that made him extremely easy.
It's not difficult until you play it without the gravity suit. THEN it's difficult. Although I will have to agree with you. It was a cool boss.

My favorite boss fight was probably the Star Magician in Golden Sun The Lost Age. Although it wasn't a particularly hard boss fight (considering it was a bonus boss, at least), it was cool since you had to fight off four types of enemies in addition to the main boss, that each assisted it in a different way, and they kept getting revived by it. It was basically a race to killing off the star magician's support, while chipping away at its health in between. And the music for that fight was awesome, so it gets bonus points.

I remember, once upon a time as a kid, I had many friends who owned Sonic 2 for Genesis. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 to me was an absolute masterpiece both play wise and graphically, and I always bugged my friends to play it. "This is the day we will be the game," I would say, and we'd try and try but we always fell short at either the oil ocean or at Metatropolis. Despite never beating the game, we all heard rumors about the final boss and how powerful and cool he was. Metal Sonic was supposedly 2 and a half times Sonic's Size and you battled in a spaceship out in space. Metal Sonic was quick and could do the spin dash. He even could shoot spikes everywhere! And the worst part was... it was rumored that you didn't have any rings.

So years later, Sega releases Sonic Megacollection for the Gamecube, and wanting to play Sonic 2 as well as 1, 3, and Knuckles which I wasn't able to play as a kid, I bought it "asap". I stayed up late at night at a friends house still saying "This is the night we're going to beat this game!". I finally beat Dr.Robotnik and his evil floating eggs at Metatropolis, but before I can shout in victory, Sonic moved on to yet another stage. I sat there, half sleepy and half extremely surprised. Sonic was riding on top of Tail's Airplane!

Enjoying playing through this epic point in the game, I finally reach what I believe to be the end. I noticed that there were no rings around... and there he was. Metal Sonic, almost just as I depicted. He wasn't the blue corny looking metal Sonic I've seen in online pics, he was the silver, buzz saw headed killing machine of my imagination. So many rumors have been told at my school about videogames that I couldn't believe this one was even true.

I nervously started attacking. His blades were spinning on the back of his head, and he began to crouch forward. Metal Sonic darts across the room on his mini-rocket shoes and I unknowingly jump into his buzz saw back and waisted my last life. I was in shock at my failure and stared at the Game Over message.

Resident Evil 4 had some of the best boss fights IMO. Fucking It boss fight scared the shit out of me, especially with the total lack of space and seeing it crawling above you.

The fight with Ganondorf in Wind Waker was pretty epic, that ending made it all worthwhile.

Another favorite was the last boss of PSO Episode 1, since it meant I finally finished with the long ass final dungeon.
Ooooh you played PSO Episode 1/2 too? I got my character to like 120ish and it took me a couple years lol. I was addicted to the game I don't know why.

@ Problem2:
Oh man, I remember that scenario quite well as well.
Just curious, but did you ever get past Metal Sonic and face Robotnik?
If not, I won't spoil it for ya.

BTW, worse-case scenario, try the codes:
19-65-09-17
1-9-9-2-1-1-2-4
4-1-2-6

For some reason or another, I've had those codes memorized for well over 10 years!

@ Problem2:
Oh man, I remember that scenario quite well as well.
Just curious, but did you ever get past Metal Sonic and face Robotnik?
If not, I won't spoil it for ya.

BTW, worse-case scenario, try the codes:
19-65-09-17
1-9-9-2-1-1-2-4
4-1-2-6

For some reason or another, I've had those codes memorized for well over 10 years!
Yeah. I beat the whole sha-bang. I wasn't able to get all the chaos emeralds in Sonic 2, but I was able to do so in Sonic3 and Sonic3+Knuckles. That was another one of those things that seemed to be a forgotten rumor come true.

Unlike Metal Sonic (or "Silver" Sonic as many call him), I imagined Super Sonic quite differently from what he was. I didn't anticipate his spikes sticking up like a Super Saiyan and for some reason I thought he wore some sort of Egyptian neck brace around his neck. I think it was from my friend trying to describe how he looked by referring to some other Sonic like character in the cartoons.

I'm going to take the high road here and say the Armored Cannon Dweevle (I think that's what it's called) at the end of Pikmin 2. The entire process of getting through that like 30 floor dungeon (the Dream Den I think), and then facing that crazy awesome guy at the end was honestly one of the most rewarding video game experiences I've ever had... took me a hell of alot of tries too lol.

The only boss that's ever made me go "wow" at how cool it was, is the lake monster in Resident Evil 4, just for that one scene where your just floating around in your boat and that gigantic crocodile guy just jumps outa nowhere... that was cool lol.

I'm probably forgetting some epic boss of some classic game, but the Pikmin 2 boss is the most memorable to me

Hojo in FF7.

Coolest mad scientist that put crazy alien genes into his unborn child EVER.

Or, if this counts, Chief Gant in GS1.

Shadow link in OoT was awesomely fun if you didnt use the hammer trick ( i know he was a mini-boss but hey)

hell nearly every enemy in OoT was awesome come to think of it.....

7 force from gunstar heroes is amazing too, and requires so much effort to get right the first time you play.

Abyssion from tales of symphonia was hectic, difficult and fun aswell, as was celeste at the single battles arena, and the former tales characters in the team battle arena.... :)

From Resident Evil 4 (on the Wii), Verdugo, Ramon Salazar's "Right Hand", has been my favourite opponent so far. I liked the idea that survival was an acceptable objective of the battle, rather than killing him (compared to many other Video Game bosses, where you have to kill them to have the story progress). Running for my life whilst timing my ducks and dodges, all the while waiting for that damned elevator to show up was a lot of fun in my opinion. Wasn't the hardest boss but has thus far been my favourite purely for providing a different experience.

Of the games I've played, my favorite boss battle was definetly the Mother Brain at the end of Super Metroid. It wasn't all that difficult, but damn...what an epic fight.

The final battle against Vayne in FF12 was awesome. It was just one of my characters holding out while he was killing my other characters as I used Phoenix Downs. And I couldn't damage him easily as he remained impervious to magic/physical attacks. While I'm on the FF series, I quite enjoyed the battle against Necron, though it wasn't particularly hard.

Skies of Arcadia: Legends had some awesome battles. The on foot bosses (with the exception of a few of the bounties) don't stand out too much for me but the ship battles were spectacular, especially Bluheim. Blasting stuff with the Moonstone Cannon was cool.

Also, I must not forget Krauser on Resident Evil 4. He could appear anywhere, so you really needed to be on your toes. Then he ambushes you from around a corner and you're fighting with knives but nothing beats the final part, when he transforms his arm into a sharp appendage and you're dodging his attacks while trying to cap his knee and load enough rounds at him, knowing that he has the final piece of the puzzle and you only have a certain time limit to beat him.

Lastly, I must add Meta Ridley from Metroid Prime. Normal difficulty was nothing incredibly difficult but hard got frsutratingly difficult when you've nearly beat him and he starts getting much tougher. The battle was enjoyable either way.

From Resident Evil 4 (on the Wii), Verdugo, Ramon Salazar's "Right Hand", has been my favourite opponent so far. I liked the idea that survival was an acceptable objective of the battle, rather than killing him (compared to many other Video Game bosses, where you have to kill them to have the story progress). Running for my life whilst timing my ducks and dodges, all the while waiting for that damned elevator to show up was a lot of fun in my opinion. Wasn't the hardest boss but has thus far been my favourite purely for providing a different experience.
Sounds kinda like Nemesis, fuck how did i forget Nemesis

just in case you didnt know, you could get a rocket launcher in one of the castle rooms (it was where there was a gate and two red illuminados were, and the only way to get to the other side of the gate was by cranking something and going around from the other side). use one of the gas tanks to freeze him, and then just shoot the rocket launcher. dead! it's a lot easier than doing the dodging and stuff, but whether or not its fun is hard to say.

just in case you didnt know, you could get a rocket launcher in one of the castle rooms (it was where there was a gate and two red illuminados were, and the only way to get to the other side of the gate was by cranking something and going around from the other side). use one of the gas tanks to freeze him, and then just shoot the rocket launcher. dead! it's a lot easier than doing the dodging and stuff, but whether or not its fun is hard to say.
Ah, I didn't try that. I guessed the gas tanks made him vulnerable, but I didn't put together the thought to try it with the Launcher (I just used them to stall for time). I did pick up that Rocket Launcher though, when I first saw him I actually tried it out. Blasted it in his direction and he paused for a few moments, essentially shrugged and then lopped my head off. Afterwards I figured I would play a more cowardly "running away" tactic (which worked). Oh well, too late now but something to keep in mind if I play through again I guess (and at least I still have the launcher in my bag for the next boss).

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
The father early on in Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. He's basically the hardest boss of the game, when you're 11% of the way through!

The ladybug in Croc was really satisfying to beat! I want to play that game again right now just thinking about it!

Any Star Wars lightsaber boss fight is usually pretty epic too.

Obligatory mention of Diablo and, to a lesser extent, Baal!

Boss fights on Counter-Strike are awesome, although on large maps it's often impossible for the boss to win. cs_ maps are usually best.
Do I detect some trolling?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)