Project Break This Team (Week 42)

Approved by Celticpride
Original Idea by Team Pokepals's thread here
Format Stolen from DarkNostalgia

Thanks to Bummer for the amazing artwork!

Summary of thread: Ever faced a powerful team that sent you looking for a brick wall to bang your head against or spent the day laughing because you used such a team to ROFL-stomp the meta? Such teams can define metas, yet everyone knows those moments don't last forever and sooner or later, the teams flaws will be exposed for the world to see, and a group of mons will emerge to break it. The purpose of this thread is to find said weakness's and create cores that can break the teams of infamy, because deep down, everyone knows no team is truly invincible .

This project aims to look and see how certain mons that work together exploit said weakness to a team; in other words a core that can break / destroy a team. This can help fine-tune teams in order to prevent them from getting destroyed by a simple core. Anyway, without further ado, here are the rules.

Rules: Must Read
1. Each week either myself, Random Passerby, or Sobi will pick a team and during the week, we will both discuss the team, its weaknesses and strengths in detail as well as what breaks it (Monday-Tuesday) before posting cores they consider threatening to the team (Wednesday - Friday). In other words, what core they think destroys the selected team while still being viable in the meta, and why?

2. Cores can have 2 or 3 mons, and sets as well as at least 3 lines of explanation will be required to show how that core destroys the team for that week. In addition, all pokemon nominated must be on the viability list or have "extremely" well known niches. Anybody who posts crap like specs Florges or 4 super effective moves Megas will have their posts deleted.

3. After the week has passed, everyone will vote until saturday or Sunday for the core that they believe is the most threatening to the team and it is encouraged that they explain why they voted for the core. Each person usually will be allowed 2 votes.

4. Winner will be placed in the Hall of Fame with their core. In addition, those who make the hall of fame 3 times will get to submit there own team for breaking.

5. Good luck, have fun, and most importantly NO STUPID ONE LINERS :)

Posting Standards Cores and Voting
  • Meme Core's or 4 super effective moves Mega + Healing wish user are not acceptable outside of joke weeks.
  • Replays are encouraged but not mandatory; however, core's posted must be viable with decent explanation of how they work against the team. This is a solid example, as it explains how it makes plays vs the team while being a proven core in the meta. This works too. Consider these as the quality standard.
  • If you're using niche stuff such as scarf Garde or anything D rank, you'll need to demonstrate its effectiveness through replays with a well-known user and not on the ladder against an LC team.
  • When you place your 2 votes a small explanation for each is encouraged even if its just 1 sentence.
Discussion
  • During this part of the week, cores are not posted, but instead we discuss how a team works and what it struggles against. Take ABR stall. It hates fairies but it does not auto lose to them, you need to explain what it actually takes to beat the team, etc.
  • Same standards as above apply. Make sure you explain things well!
  • Buddying up with someone to test the team or review replays and explain results before posting cores is encouraged, as you can actually see if your proposed core works before posting it. If AM or bludz come in here and rip your core to shreds you only have yourself to blame. Remember even if you fail you can still detail what you learnt.

Last edited:
Hall of Fame

Wk1 ABR stall

Winner

Other Cores

Wk2 Vertex's Dark Spam

Winner

Other Cores

Wk3 TDK's Gardevoir Squad

Winner

Other Cores
Wk4 Halcyons Electric Spam

Winner

Other Cores

Wk5. AMs Zardx and Clefable balance

Winner

Other Cores

Wk6 Snow's Triple Wish Stall

Winners

Other Cores
Wk7 Branflakes325's Wonder Trio Stall

Winner

Other Cores

Wk8 NJNPs Hoopa-U Offense

Winner

Other Cores

Wk9 Bluwings Triple weather Offence

Winner

Wk10 Creator of Chaos's Double magic Guard

Winner

Other Cores

Wk11 Team Pokepals Manetric offence

Winner
AM

+

Other Cores

Wk12 -Magics- mega pinsir offence

Winner

Other Cores

Wk13 Clones Mega gyarados team

Winner

Other Cores

Week 14 Clairs Puppet Stall

Winner

Other Cores

week 15 Bludz Mega Diancie HO

Winner

Other Cores

Week 16 Teremaires Triple Fairy

Winner

Other Cores

Week 17 Blaze Latias Calm mind Spam

Winner

Other Cores

Week 18 Costis Mew/Cobalion Balance

Winner

Week 19 P2s Mega Latias Balance

Winner

Other Cores

Week 20 Random Passerbys Blue Squad

Winner

Other Cores

Week 21 kek123 Alakazam HO

Winner

Other Cores

Week 22 Vertexs Mega Slowbro Balance

Winner

Other Cores

Week 23 Volcanion Bulky Offence

Winner

Other Cores

Week 24 Skarmx2s Go....Weavile stall

Winners

Other Cores

Week 25 Boudouche's Mega Lopunny HO

Winner

Other Cores

Week 26 Nedors Mega scizor Team

Winner

Other Cores

Week 27 Subjectator Stall

Winner

Week 28 Clones Sand Team
Winner

Other Cores

Week 29 Mega Star Universe's Mega Latias Balance

Winner

Other Cores
Week 30 Sobis mega sableye Balance

Winner
Other Cores

Week 31: Baton Pass Offense

Winner

Other Cores

Week 32: Flaming Victinis Rain

Winner

Other Cores

Week 33: Mega Heracross Bulky Offense

Other Cores

Week 34: AM mega Gardevoir Offense

Other Cores

Week 35 Nidoking Scizor Offence

Other Cores

week 36 Daddys Kisses mega lopunny Hyper Offence

Other Teams

Week 37 Lopunny Spike Stack Offense

Other Teams

Week 38 Poshos Gastro Stall

Other Teams

Week 39 Cosines Mega Diancie Offence

ABR
+

Other Teams

Week 40 ABRs Loppuny Offence

Other Teams

Week 41 Teles Anti Hazard stall

@Amonguss
+

Other Teams

week 42 Creator of Chaos Lopunny T-wave spamming goon squad

@Akumeboy
+

Other Teams

Hall of Fame Tally
10 Infernal
4 Creator of Chaos
3 Matthewc20090, Random Passerby
2 Little Lucario, Bendiving, cfdba, FrozenCold, Sketch Up, Random Passerby, Akumeboy
1 Team Pokepals, AM, Docter Ciel, Luaral, Flygoner818, Bludz, Gamer Boy, Ethanlol, Phantom Me, Soldier, Yuruuu, King Sun, Paper Dreams, Daddys Kisses, Clair, Kek123, ABR, Amonguss,

At 3 Successful nominations to the hall of fame you get to submit your own team for breaking
At 5 Nominations you get the Team Destroying God or Goddess[/Hide][/Hide]

Last edited:
We will start with the one team causing the OU meta a massive headache right now and has triggered debate about weather sableye or goth should get a suspect. Yes thats right ABR stall. Find a set of pokemon/A core that can break this team and discuss this teams weakness's. You have till saturday morning Australia time to do so. Do not fail

Description
This team is designed around Gothitelle, which has many crucial uses for stall teams. Gothitelle provides a means of handling Manaphy, taunt Heatran, Heracross, and a myriad of other pokemon that stall otherwise cannot handle. Mega Sableye is the staple for stall teams, due its nature as a win condition and a way of preventing opposing hazards. Skarmory and Chansey are also staple mons on stall, as they cover each side of the defensive spectrum very well. Quagsire is a necessity on most stall teams but on Goth stall especially, because Goth allows free setup for many pokemon like Bisharp and Scizor. Quagsire also acts as a safety net against a lot of uncommon sweepers like SD Lando-T. Lastly, Amoonguss is a water resist and counter to many Fairy type pokemon. It greatly aids in checking Azumarill, Keldeo, Gyarados, Clefable, and more. - Thanks to ABR for providing this one.

Team
Sableye (M) @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpD
Impish / Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Knock Off / Calm Mind
- Fake Out / Dark Pulse / Protect
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Gothitelle (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 128 HP / 128 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Psychic
- Thunder Wave
- Rest

Skarmory (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird / Iron Head
- Whirlwind / Spikes
- Defog
- Roost

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss
- Heal Bell
- Soft-Boiled

Quagsire (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Recover

Amoonguss (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 68 SpD
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Sludge Bomb
- Spore

Team and description stolen from the stall thread

Feel free to post now

Last edited:

So basically this teams only way of beating nasty plot togekiss is to trick it with gothitelle and beat it with Chansey/Quagsire once tricked. With shed shell you simply switch to tyranitar and and pursuit it with no cost, and at that point togekiss proceeds to sweep the team.

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- Crunch

Togekiss @ Shed Shell
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 4 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Heal Bell
- Roost

Last edited:

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I don't think that's the exact team, I thought it was SpDef Skarm (with an attacking move) and Utility Sableye. Also as Wheezer pointed out in the stall thread, if Chansey doesn't have Toxic then Volcarona can solo the team barring a lot of parahax.

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 16 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish

First off I know standard Garde is Timid, but Modest is OK and doesn't really need full speed.

Let's start off with the fact that Gardevoir handily OHKOs Sableye, has a high chance to OHKO Quagsire and nearly one shots Amoonguss as well. That leaves Skarmory, Chansey and Gothitelle as the remaining checks.

Skarmory has no attacking move and it isn't specially defensive, so it really can't do shit to Gardevoir. Now even if it were, Gardevoir has a high chance to 2HKO on the switch with Focus Blast assuming it can land both:

252+ SpA Mega Gardevoir Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Skarmory: 155-183 (46.4 - 54.7%) -- 64.5% chance to 2HKO

Chansey can be beaten by Taunt + Psyshock, and Gothitelle takes a ton from Hyper Voice.

Even if Gardevoir doesn't end up 6-0ing this team, it will do more than enough damage for the remaining members to clean up. Latias is simply a precaution to remove hazards with Defog and Healing Wish to let Gardevoir get another go if Gothitelle paralyzes it or Chansey clicks Seismic Toss instead of trying to Soft-Boiled. I guess the true CT set would have Roost over one of its attacks just so it could stay alive reliably for this function.

Last edited:

Manaphy @ Shed Shell
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Tail Glow
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- Crunch

Gothitelle @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 80 HP / 176 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Trick
- Rest
- Psychic

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em! Shed shell on Manaphy lets you switch from Goth into Tyranitar, to pursuit trap and eliminate her, while a Gothitelle of your own traps, tricks a scarf, then rest-stalls Chansey to death. With those two gone, Manaphy just boots up and steamrolls through the rest of the team. Modest and surf over scald guarantees the unboosted 2HKO on Skarm and gives you a 75% chance to OHKO M-Sab at +3 after rocks.

Last edited:

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Shiny: Yes
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Frustration
- Power-Up Punch

Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Sludge Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt

Hoopa-Unbound @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
EVs: 160 Atk / 96 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Psychic
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot

The 5-Minute Lopunny Goon Squad is a pretty common offensive team that tends to be centered around the core of lopunny, a special wallbreaker, and a really strong dark type. This is a pretty solid variation that tends to pressure stall a lot. Hoopa-U is the biggest threat here, being able to outspeed and 2hko the whole team, while OHKOing amoongus (though admittedly the 2hko on chansey is a bit hard to grab). When it comes out, it can force the player to have to shuffle around and try to neuter it with goth or burn. There's also risk in scouting its set since CB hyperspace fury literally 2hkills the entire team.

The gengar set is a mix of the wallbreaker and stallbreaker sets. It's not as exceptional at either, but it can help to cripple typical answers to LO gengar. Here, its nice because there isn't a straight answer to it. It can 2hko quag and amoongus, keeps sableye and skarmory (sdef as bludz mentioned) on the ropes, switch out from goth, and can stall chansey.

Lop is the easiest of the three for the team to handle, but once things start dying it can very quickly take advantage. Also, the best responses the team has when healthy are skarm and amoongus, which are two easy points for gengar and hoopa to make an opening through. Poweruppunch is her most threatening set to this team, being able to rip through skarmory after very little prior damage. You can run pretty much any set though. Pink is necessary to match the rest of the wardrobe.

bludz I pulled this team straight from the stall thread tho I guess it's a tad old in that aspect. I'll update skarm to include an attack as an option

Anyway nice cores guy's keep posting :D. I want this team rendered to ruin lol

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Sets
Basically, bof stall has no option vs opposing mega sab aside from boosting alongside it with their own sab, which isn't exactly the best way to check something. However, another mon that highly threatens this team is Talonflame, which can basically set up on the whole team (sab lacks foul play and quag does jack shit to it with scald) and sweep with boosted acrobatics, as the team's only flying resist is setup bait for this mon.

FlamingVictini

FV - msg on discord FlamingVictini#3784
is a Top Tiering Contributorwon the 16th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
bludz I pulled this team straight from the stall thread tho I guess it's a tad old in that aspect. I'll update skarm to include an attack as an option

Anyway nice cores guy's keep posting :D. I want this team rendered to ruin lol
You should probably take it from the oras ou sample teams thread instead (it should be nearly identical to the "correct" version, if not the same). Also, i might edit this post later with my own core to add a little more substance to it.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
eww dark pulse sableye and no attacks skarm

Alright here's my core

Victini @ Life Orb
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 96 Atk / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Glaciate
- Energy Ball

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Rock Blast
- Pin Missile / Substitute
- Swords Dance / Substitute

As it turns out, LO Victini and MHera are both massive threats to stall, neither of these have actual switchins on stall. Both are crippled or removed by Goth, but here's the thing : once Goth traps Victini by tricking it a Scarf, the team has no way of really stopping MHera if it gets to +2 assuming Skarm isn't running Brave Bird (which it really shouln't), especially if Victini has already lured Quagsire. Sub is even more dangerous since then Quagsire can't even Toxic it, and the team needs to find a way to break it for Gothitelle.
The two function decently as a core since Heracross switches into Dark- and Ground- types that threaten Victini, who in return takes on Fairies and to a lesser extent Psychics, and lures Lando-T and Latis which Heracross wants removed.

truedrew

Banned deucer.
+

Gothitelle @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 80 HP / 176 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Trick
- Rest
- Psychic

Serperior @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power Fire
- Giga Drain

Hate facing Goth stall? why not counter it with your own trapper! Gothitelle traps and removes chansey and amoonguss which are the only things that stop serperior which can tear through these types of stall teams very easily as nothing can take on Leaf Storm+hp fire once chansey/amoongus is gone. Not only do these two form a potent core that can threaten many balance archetypes (mainly tornadus t can beat this easily but that is not the case here) this archype can be supported very well by a volt turn core which could allow Gothitelle to trap the stall mons easier. Specifically Tornadus T and/or Mega Scizor can support this core very well as mega scizor can provide U-turn support as well as pursuit suport which can allow the opposing goth to be trapped and killed whilst tornadus t is just a nucance to this team as its coverage can allow it to ko a majority of the team.

Lol I'm loving the goths being used to counter Goth stall. Kinda ironic but I'm glad people see her potential now even if it is for cancerous reasons anyway. Following FlamingVictini 's Suggestion I updated the ABR stall team from the one OU sample Team Thread and slashed the alternative moves for consistency so as not to accidently invalidate anyones posts. Excuse me for errors in the team. First time I've ran a thread like this in awhile and its very different to running the OU game thread so I appreciate the advice and double checking.

Keep it up guys.

Just a heads 24 hours left to submit a core or discuss ABR stalls weakness'es. Anyway Well seeing as it's Thursday and because I can I'm gonna post my own core lol. since I own the thread tho but I want to join the fun

Heart attack (Diancie) @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 8 Atk / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Protect / Rock Polish

The New teeny (Celebi) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Thunder Wave / Recover
- Calm Mind / Nasty Plot
- Baton Pass

Checkmate (Gothitelle) (F) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 168 HP / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Explanation: We all well know by now Im a lover of the fairy type and Diancie has what I reckon to be the best design ever. So Its even better that she has a fair match up vs stall being immune to status, good coverage that sends sab running and sky high stats. Problem is sab never stays in vs diancie. Not to mention Skarmory and Amoguss are headaches. This is where Celebi and Gothitelle come handy. Not only do they cover Diancies weakness's forming a nice balance core they beat the mons Diancie cant. Celebi with BP and Calm mind is able to lure in sableye for Diancie whom can then promptly kill the gremlin or dent whatever comes in after as well as give an out vs goth should she try to trap celebi. That pretty much just leaves skarmory and amonguss whom are taken care of by specs goth allowing diancie to have a field day with the team.

The core is kinda slow tho so pairing it up with something fast like weavile, T-wave Spam or a prioty user can go a long way

Edit banner is done

Last edited:
Voting Time Folks: Sorry I'm late to start this I had work this morning so I apoligize for any inconvience. We have 8 cores this week. Everyone gets 2 Vote's but only 1 team will be entered into the hall of Fame

Core 1 Togekiss + Tyraniter
Core 2 Gardevoir + Latias
Core 3 Manaphy + Tyraniter + Gothitelle
Core 4 Lopunny + Genger + Hoopa - U
Core 5 Sableye + Talonflame
Core 6 Victini + Mega Heracross
Core 7 Gothitelle + Serperior
Core 8 Mega Diancie + Celebi + Gothitelle

Voting ends Monday morning Australia Time. Random Passerby is choosing the next team which will be posted monday, If anyone wants to nominate a team to be broken feel free but theres no garantee we will accept it that week.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)