Broken Bits

INTRO:
A bunch of OU mons recently got put down to UU. What does that mean for the metagame? Hyper Fuckin' Offense. When I heard the OU drops, I immediately made the stupidest team I could, and the scary thing is that it works.

IN DEPTH

Cloyster

Cloyster @ Never-Melt Ice
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast

Priority doesn't counter shit when you have ice shard! Ice-Rock coverage is very good coverage barring steel. Cloyster acts as a late game sweeper, or just a sweeper from turn 1 if the opponent has no checks or counters (in all honesty, it's rare). I know my douche level is pretty high already by using Cloyster, but I opted for Never-Melt Ice over King's Rock, but Never-Melt Ice gives you a pretty good chance of OHKOing defensive swampert after a shell smash. (+2 252+ Atk Never-Melt Ice Cloyster Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Swampert: 375-440 (92.8 - 108.9%) -- approx. 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock). Ice Shard OHKOs scarf Salamence which I don't want to risk a speed tie with my Salamence. (252+ Atk Never-Melt Ice Cloyster Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 336-400 (101.5 - 120.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO).

Salamence

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Sleep Talk
- Dragon Claw

Salamence's scarf set can just flat out revenge kill 1 pokemon and then proceed to sweep the rest of the opponent's team! Dragon claw is useful for when you don't want to lock yourself into outrage incase the opponent has a fairy. I use sleep talk because I have no status absorbers, and having salamence roll an outrage and not be locked into it is very good. Earthquake is useful for checking scarfed Darmanitan, weakened Mega-Manectric, scarfed Chandelure, and useful for wearing down Metagross and the new Klefki.

Magnezone

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SAtk / 160 HP / 96 Spd
Modest Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon

It's a trap! Magnezone's sole purpose is trapping. This team reminds me much of last gen's DragMag, probably because that's what this team is. Flash cannon destroys any fairy in sight, while HP fire is used on the new Forretress. I run enough speed to outspeed base 70's, namely Metagross. Volt Switch provides the momentum needed to keep this team on its toes, and it also creates a Volt-Turn core with Foretress and Tornadus. Thunderbolt hits those bulky waters that Cloyster has trouble with. While this team is hyper offense, Magnezone can take ice attacks aimed at Salamence and Tornadus, and can take rock attacks aimed at Salamence, Tornadus, and Cloyster. Magnezone is also useful for taking incoming T-waves, since they're commonly aimed at Cloyster, Salamence, and Tornadus.

Forretress

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Def / 248 HP / 8 SDef
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch

Damn those hazards! Forretress is the best hazard setter in the tier. It provides the best utility to any hyper offense team by setting hazards, spinning, and becoming a defensive pivot with volt switch. Volt switch also allows Magnezone to trap easier, and take an outrage from Salamence then volt switch into Cloyster who can OHKO it. If Salamence wants any hope of getting a moxie boost sweep, it needs hazard support. Since Mega-Manectric is constantly volt switching before I can hit it, hazards allow it to be worn down until it gets to ~65% where Salamence can kill it off with EQ.

Banette

Banette @ Banettite
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Careful Nature
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pursuit

Don't switch! Mega Banette is really underrated, it just needs hazards support. Destiny Bond allows me to choose which pokemon die, or at the very least get worn down because of all the switching. Will-O-Wisp is great so Cloyster can set-up on the burn victim. Banette also acts as the team's spin-blocker, and in my opinion the best spin blocker because it can also prevent Defog with Taunt. Pursuit is used to play mind games with the opponent, and capitalize further on switches, which Banette causes a lot of.

Tornadus

Tornadus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Brick Break
- Aerial Ace

Fuck yo defog! If for whatever reason Banette can't prevent a defog from happening, I have backup. Tornadus at +2 has a crippling knock off, useful for knocking off eviolites and scarfs. U-turn provides momentum, which most switch ins to tornadus are steel types, so I can hit them with a Brick Break or trap them with Magnezone. I look at Tornadus as more of a support mon rather than a sweeper because brick break is useful for dual screening Klefkis which I assume are going to be popular. Aerial Ace is for STAB, plus it gives pretty good coverage.

CONCLUSION

I would say this is a pretty solid team, but I may be looking over some obvious stuff. Please give me your meanest rates, and be sure to make the smallest nitpicks, anything is appreciated. Feel free to use this team / copy / whatever, I don't really care. Edits are in bold.

Cloyster @ Never-Melt Ice
Ability: Skill Link
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SAtk / 160 HP / 96 Spd
Modest Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Sleep Talk
- Dragon Claw

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Def / 248 HP / 8 SDef
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch

Banette @ Banettite
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Careful Nature
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pursuit

Tornadus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Brick Break
- Aerial Ace

Last edited:
A very cool team! That being said, you have nothing to switch into LO Darmanitan, who OHKO's your entire team bar sturdy between Flare Blitz and Rock Slide. This can be extremely problematic, as it always gets a free switch in againt Forretress, and when played correctly guarantees a kill every time it is in. Strong electric types such as opposing Magnezone or Mega Ampharos also cause huge issues, as you literally are incapable of switching into them. By the way I love the fact you are using Pursuit Mega-Banette it seems like a fun set, although lack of STAB might be worrysome, but when you are spamming Destiny Bond thats a pretty awesome threat.

To easily eliminate both threats, I simply reccomend Standard Rhyperior over Forretress. Not only does it eliminate any chance for Darm to come in, but it also can absorb electric takes which typically cause you difficulty. It still allows you to set up stealth rocks, and with Defog everywhere spikes is a difficult weapon to use in the current metagame anyways. Your team is not particularily weak to anything bar stealth rock, which can be fixed. Overall, this gives your team less of an offensive momentum drain, gives the opponent less moments to set up, and gives you the edge against two threats which previously ran train through you.

I highly reccomend you run Assault Vest Tornadus-T over your current set. This allows you to be worn down by hazards much more slowly, and tornadus-t's ability to be un-wallable due to decent mixed attacking stats, more bulk, and difficulty to wear it down means that it is a more reliable pokemon in general and can be a much more effective pivot. It also makes your stealth rock weakness drop tenfold. It's higher speed tier also means that you will not need to fully invest in speed and still be well off. Your better defenses and still acceptable offenses helps you to better pivot for the rest of your hyper offense.

I'm honestly not sold on Choice Scarf Salamence in todays metagame, as the sheer amount of fairies running around means that not only can you not reliably revenge kill a slew of sweepers including but not limited to Slurpuff and Gardevoir, but you are also able to put a complete stop to your own offensive momentum with a single click. For this reason I suggest Choice Scarf Heracross, who still revenge kills reliably, absorbs sleep reliably, doesn't have a stealth rock weakness, is arguably the better cleaner, and is more reliable in Salamence's place.

Good team man!

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 244 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Rock Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 92 HP / 192 SAtk / 8 SDef / 216 Spd
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- Knock Off / Grass Knot
- U-turn

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie / Guts
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Sleep Talk

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey man, cool team. One thing I noticed is that Magnezone hits your entire team extremely hard and you can't really do much about it. Mag easily comes in on either Banette or Forretress and proceeds to 2HKO your entire team. You can't even reliably revenge kill seeing as scarfed EQ isn't great to be locked into and neither Fire Blast from Mence nor Brick Break from Tornadus will OHKO Magnezone. Specs Analytic Zone does roughly 80% to Banette with Volt Switch so it can even avoid be Destiny Bonded and Magnet Trapped.
I honestly don't know how you can check it but that it's a big threat to you seeing as Cloyster can't touch it either. Also, steel trapping is overrated in UU seeing as the only relevant steels to trap are Magnezone and Metagross, when Metagross almost always carries Earthquake and you can't one shot him anyways. Therefore, Specs Analytic would probably work better seeing as it gives you a free Life Orb boost on any switch.

A very cool team! That being said, you have nothing to switch into LO Darmanitan, who OHKO's your entire team bar sturdy between Flare Blitz and Rock Slide. This can be extremely problematic, as it always gets a free switch in againt Forretress, and when played correctly guarantees a kill every time it is in. Strong electric types such as opposing Magnezone or Mega Ampharos also cause huge issues, as you literally are incapable of switching into them. By the way I love the fact you are using Pursuit Mega-Banette it seems like a fun set, although lack of STAB might be worrysome, but when you are spamming Destiny Bond thats a pretty awesome threat.

To easily eliminate both threats, I simply reccomend Standard Rhyperior over Forretress. Not only does it eliminate any chance for Darm to come in, but it also can absorb electric takes which typically cause you difficulty. It still allows you to set up stealth rocks, and with Defog everywhere spikes is a difficult weapon to use in the current metagame anyways. Your team is not particularily weak to anything bar stealth rock, which can be fixed. Overall, this gives your team less of an offensive momentum drain, gives the opponent less moments to set up, and gives you the edge against two threats which previously ran train through you.

I highly reccomend you run Assault Vest Tornadus-T over your current set. This allows you to be worn down by hazards much more slowly, and tornadus-t's ability to be un-wallable due to decent mixed attacking stats, more bulk, and difficulty to wear it down means that it is a more reliable pokemon in general and can be a much more effective pivot. It also makes your stealth rock weakness drop tenfold. It's higher speed tier also means that you will not need to fully invest in speed and still be well off. Your better defenses and still acceptable offenses helps you to better pivot for the rest of your hyper offense.

I'm honestly not sold on Choice Scarf Salamence in todays metagame, as the sheer amount of fairies running around means that not only can you not reliably revenge kill a slew of sweepers including but not limited to Slurpuff and Gardevoir, but you are also able to put a complete stop to your own offensive momentum with a single click. For this reason I suggest Choice Scarf Heracross, who still revenge kills reliably, absorbs sleep reliably, doesn't have a stealth rock weakness, is arguably the better cleaner, and is more reliable in Salamence's place.

Good team man!

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 244 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Rock Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 92 HP / 192 SAtk / 8 SDef / 216 Spd
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- Knock Off / Grass Knot
- U-turn

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie / Guts
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Sleep Talk
Thanks for the feedback!

I agree that Darmanitan is a MAJOR threat to this team. Having Rhyperior would relieve that problem, but in order for Mega Banette to be effective it needs spike support. Overall though, I think Rhyperior would be a great addition to this team, I would just need to replace another pokemon with a spiker.

I agree with switching Salamence with Heracross. I've found Heracross to be quite useful when Magnezone has a steel type trapped, and doesn't kill but leaves the opponent severely crippled, giving Heracross a free moxie boost. Usually Salamence would be forced to EQ in this scenario, but Heracross can Close Combat and potentially sweep from there. However, by switching Heracross for Salamence I find my self having a tough time taking on Nidoking and Nidoqueen. Do you suggest switching Sleep Talk for Earthquake, or do you think having Heracross for useful sleep fodder is better?

Tornadus-T would be a great addition to the team I feel. Tornadus in all honesty didn't put in too much work, and I feel having a great pivot in Tornadus-T would be better. With Banette-Mega, the opponent would hardly get off the Defog anyways, or they would be pressured into not defogging.

~Thanks!~

Hey man, cool team. One thing I noticed is that Magnezone hits your entire team extremely hard and you can't really do much about it. Mag easily comes in on either Banette or Forretress and proceeds to 2HKO your entire team. You can't even reliably revenge kill seeing as scarfed EQ isn't great to be locked into and neither Fire Blast from Mence nor Brick Break from Tornadus will OHKO Magnezone. Specs Analytic Zone does roughly 80% to Banette with Volt Switch so it can even avoid be Destiny Bonded and Magnet Trapped.
I honestly don't know how you can check it but that it's a big threat to you seeing as Cloyster can't touch it either. Also, steel trapping is overrated in UU seeing as the only relevant steels to trap are Magnezone and Metagross, when Metagross almost always carries Earthquake and you can't one shot him anyways. Therefore, Specs Analytic would probably work better seeing as it gives you a free Life Orb boost on any switch.
Thanks for the feedback!

Specs Magnezone is definitely a threat to this team. Due to its lower speed, I find it manageable and revenge-killable.

~Thanks!~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)