Bug Catcher Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hm, on that note we have some things to test then.

All fire type moves, should they be banned?
All flying type moves, should THEY be banned?
Should, if all fire type moves be banned, Larvesta be allowed to be a Exotic tier pokemon?
Karrablast: suspect for ban.
Arceus-Bug: suspect for ban.

Anything I'm missing?

Even without fire type moves, Larvesta's stats (higher attack than karrablast) and movepool (access to plenty of non fire type moves) and even flame body make it unsuitable for this format.

Updated team building rules. Please read them carefully as the list is different from some of the ones that have been posted.

There's a reason why all the Limited pokemon are limited! They are quite overwhelming compared to the weaker bugs, and with boosts, basically end up being unstoppable sweepers. However, keep looking at the options available!

I would like to point out Shelmet. He is Limited now but he has incredible checks to the sweepers: very good movepool and great defense.
It can use Acid Armor, Curse, Toxic, Recover, Substitute(banned currently), Baton Pass, Yawn, Spikes, Encore - all of these tools are going to be beneficial to a team. Also, with Hydration, it can set up Rain Dance to deal with opposing pokemon trying to beat it with status, although that could be risky if facing a surskit.

Note that a x2 aerial ace is still weaker than a STAB Megahorn, and the same power as a stab X Scissor

All the baton pass - available pokemon are Semi limited except for the stronger ones (Shelmet, Sewaddle) are Limited. Boosting moves in general are the big game.

I have banned Substitute for the following reasons: lack of phazing, incredible stalling not in the spirit of the tier, and stuff like Iron Defense/Acid Armor already making it hard for Drones to do anything.

anyway here is my spinarak set @leftovers
Spider Web
Hone Claws
Baton Pass
Poison Jab

This is a pretty funny set that can be used to trap a Drone and set up on it. Poison Jab gets STAB and 30% poison chance.
Note that Bug and Poison both hit Bug neutral, Grass super effective, and Poison not super effective. The difference is Bug hits Flying not super effective and Poison hits neutral.

It's odd, most of the bug types in here are Attack based, and their STAB Bug Bite hits harder than super effective Electro Web. Slapping choice items on Weedle and Caterpie is the only way to make them usable, but in that regard, Weedle is much better for a choice as being able to spread Posion is a great thing that shortens the life span greatly. I have one nitpick about this entire cup though... There's not enough pokemon. I wish there was a way to have all of them at one's dissposal in a balanced fashion.. Being as it is, it's not very varied. :/ Of course it's fun, if it was an ice cream-it'd taste pretty good!! However, it's just Vanilla flavored and bland at the moment. Rollout is a real force, once the poke starts rolling.... (I'd like to mention that, one of the few bugs to learn Protect, Burmy is useful in so many situations!)

Haha, yeah, but there should be some way to make more of the 'mons viable. :s

With each new gen we get bugs, but as we can't just... Wait out for gen 6 for more pokemon in this cup, we need to find a way to make things just a little more balanced and varied than they are now...

Well. Only 2 new pokemon available in x and y for this tier. One thing you could do is unban pokemon who are bug-like, or in the bug egg group, like trapinch, gligar, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)