Build That Lure (Week 5: CM Reuniclus) (Voting Stage!)

Threw

cohiba
Approved by Hogg and King UU

Build That Lure

We all know what lures are: Pokemon that run unorthodox sets to draw in and weaken or eliminate particular threats in order to pave the way for a sweeper. Employing lures is a key strategy for offensive teams that want to maximize the opportunity to execute a sweep. Lures can take many forms; whether it's an unexpected mixed set (like the example below) or running Thunder Wave to slow down a threatening Choice Scarf user, anything that sufficiently cripples the shared checks in question is fair game.

However, it's important to consider opportunity cost when building a lure. If a Pokemon must lose its ability to check certain Pokemon it should, it may not be worth it to make that one your lure. For example, say I want to lure in Blissey for my NP Infernape. I realize that Sylveon also draws in Blissey, so I decide to use it as my lure. Now I could slap a max Attack Last Resort Sylveon on my team and call it a day, but this represents a "bad lure", because it is one that functions only to lure in a particular threat or threats but is otherwise subpar. In other words, make sure your lure is still a decent standalone Pokemon. Here's an example of a good lure:

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet
- Sludge Wave

This is an example of a good lure because it is unexpected and hits very common Crawdaunt switch-ins like Whimsicott and Chesnaught. This could break down these walls for something like Gyarados that also struggles with these Pokemon.

This project is a twist on the "Lure That Threat" projects hosted in other subforums, so pay close attention to the following!

How this project will work:

1. I will post the Pokemon of the week, which will be a sweeper or cleaner.
2. You will post the best lure to pair with the Pokemon of the week with a brief explanation (no sprites necessary, although it looks nice); in other words, the partner that does the best job of drawing in and sufficiently weakening/eliminating as many of the Pokemon of the week's checks and counters as possible without sacrificing viability. Don't use standard sets, although some analysis sets may be acceptable if they are relatively rare (such as Earthquake Lucario). This is one step more rigorous than "Lure That Threat", because it similarly encourages creativity but additionally focuses on building the best lure in general rather than a lure that only serves to draw in a single Pokemon.
3. Voting will be underway for a couple of days, and afterward I'll present the top 2 (I'll have a vote as well).
4. Reservations are allowed, but just edit your post instead of making a brand new one.

Say the Pokemon of the week is DD Gyarados; ideally, your post will look something like this:

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet
- Sludge Wave

Crawdaunt shares several checks with Gyarados such as Chesnaught, Whimsicott, and Tangrowth. Sludge Wave at least 2HKOes all of them, so with a bit of prediction, you can eliminate these checks and free up Gyarados for a sweep at no risk.

Week 5: Calm Mind Reuniclus

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind
- Recover

Voting until Saturday!​

Last edited:
Reserving Tentcruel

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 240 HP / 244 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Toxic
- Haze

Sharing similar threats such as Cresselia and Swampert, both of these two have some trouble in dealing with the bulkier stuff in UU. Toxic allows Tentacruel to at the very least cripple their ability to stay in for a long period of time and hinders their role in playing as a counter towards Mega Aerodactyl once the timer starts ticking. Slowking falls victim as well but is a bit harder to take down due to Regenerator. Milotic and Porygon2 can be lured in as well but not as much unless they happen to be the opponent's scald switch in.

Last edited:
Reserving Tangrowth

Tangrowth @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 72 SpD / 140 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Power Whip
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sleep Powder

This thing while being a nice partner to maero in general will also serve to lure and cripple most steel types. Nobody ever expects earthquake on tangrowth even if you reveal power whip. Hidden power fire deals with forretress and sleep powder will basicly cripple something on switchin like cress, p2, umb etc. EV'd to live heliolisk hypervoice after rocks

Last edited:
Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Hone Claws
- Stone Edge
- Wing Attack
- Earthquake

Zoroark @ Life Orb
Ability: Illusion
EVs: 136 Atk / 120 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Flamethrower - hits steels (forretress cobalion)
- Knock Off - hits cress and p2 or ANYTHING FOR THAT MATTER
- Grass Knot - hits water (suicune,seismitoad,rare milotic, and swampert)
- Low Kick - hits p2 (after knock) aggron empoleon

120 spA to 2hko suicune with grass knot

Zoroark is already a lure within a lure so were going to run a lure for every one of m aeros counters explained above

M Aero also gets rid of fighting types for zoroark

IN ORDER FOR THIS TO WORK YOU NEED TO KEEP ROCKS OFF AND TO DISGUISE ZOROARK TO M AERO!

Replay http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-407677189

Last edited:

sergey

Banned deucer.

Kyurem @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

So i was making some teams for last years slam and i wanted to build around specs kyurem and the team ended up being a bit walled by bronzong so i decided to just put shadow ball over earth power on kyurem as you still ohko doublade after rocks and the fire types you would hit with earth power all drop to draco anyways. This wasn't really made as a lure to be paired with aerodactyl but why wouldn't it be, bronzong is generally a consistent aero answer as all it has to hit bronzong is the less common fire fang, and pursuit i guess although bronzong isn't really gonna switch out of an aerodactyl and the set in the op doesnt even have any of those moves so it easily walls it. As i mentioned before shadow ball always kills doublade after rocks which benefits aerodactyl as well since doublade can easily take a +1 earthquake and retaliate back. It can even get of a really hard hit on aggron with focus blast and put it in unboosted earthquake range which also obviously helps aero.

252 SpA Choice Specs Kyurem Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Bronzong: 170-202 (50.2 - 59.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Kyurem Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Doublade: 306-362 (95 - 112.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Choice Specs Kyurem Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Filter Mega Aggron: 271-319 (78.7 - 92.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Mega Aerodactyl Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 73-87 (21.2 - 25.2%) -- 0% chance to 4HKO

First post hello :3 Hone Claws Mega Aerodactyl wants more imporantly bulky waters and steels weakened to sweep. Sooo

Cloyster @ Life Orb or Focus Sash or Lum Berry or whatever you like
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 Atk / 4 Spa
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Hydro Pump

This is a good lure to destroy bulky steels like doublade, aggron, cobalion, forretress because hydro pump hits them on their weaker special defense and receives a boost from shell smash. Also it will weaken bulky waters with rock blast.

CBU

Banned deucer.
ok looking at your mega aero set, what immediately comes to mind is the inability to threaten/break bulky waters like suicune,alomomola, slowking, jellicent,milotic,swampert,defensive vaporeon (stop trashing this mon), shuca empoleon and bulky steel types like mega aggron, doublade, forretress, zong and shuca metagross.
My suggestion for a lure would be offensive, semi bulky cb arcanine. With the rise of sylveon in the current meta, arcanine with the intimidate ability should be assumed to be a bulky hyper voice resist and a lure for water types to come in(its not luring the steel types but it blows them away). Offensive arcanine's coverage in general has slim to none switchins in general, which makes this set not a gimmick but a powerful to take down walls with.

Arcanine @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Extreme Speed
- Close Combat​
This specific arcanine spread provides the ability to outspeed every bulky water in the tier,while at the same keep the illusion of bulky defensive arcanine from intimidate plus the reduced damage it will take from several hits.The speed investment is to creep adamant mamoswine, which isn't something that was switchins whatsoever and it would be good to outspeed and ohko with flare blitz and/or cc [252+ Atk Choice Band Arcanine Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thick Fat Mamoswine: 344-408 (95.2 - 113%) -- 75% chance to OHKO].
Now down to the calcs:
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Arcanine Wild Charge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Milotic: 240-284 (61 - 72.2%)
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Arcanine Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 188-222 (46.5 - 54.9%) + +1 252 Atk Mega Aerodactyl Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 165-195 (40.8 - 48.2%)
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Arcanine Wild Charge vs. 204 HP / 248+ Def Vaporeon: 284-336 (62.8 - 74.3%)
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Arcanine Close Combat vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Mega Swampert: 130-153 (32.4 - 38.1%) + +1 252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Aerodactyl Aerial Ace vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Mega Swampert: 133-157 (33.1 - 39.1%), meaning that 2 Close Combats plus a Hone Claws Boosted Aerial Ace should be able to kill without any hazards being up
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Arcanine Wild Charge vs. 40 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 238-282 (49.4 - 58.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery (according to calculator this is the standard UU set)
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Arcanine Wild Charge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Slowking: 238-282 (60.5 - 71.7%)
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Arcanine Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Jellicent: 260-306 (64.3 - 75.7%)
Oh, 1 last thing:252+ Atk Choice Band Arcanine Flare Blitz vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 183-216 (41.4 - 48.9%) -- 16% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Last edited:

pdt

is a Past SCL Champion
PUPL Champion

Azelf @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball

Mega Aerodactyl's Checks and Counters: Swampert, Bronzong, Doublade, Mega-Aggron, Suicune, Gastrodon, Seismitoad, Cobalion, Alomomola, Gligar, Krookodile(soft), Nidoqueen(soft), Empoleon(soft)

Azelf beats most if not all of these checks / counters with its ability to lure Water, Steel, and Ground types that give Mega Aerodactyl trouble. Its wide array of coverage moves allow it to beat all of these checks bar random Scarf Pokemon, Doublade, and Empoleon. Even without beating those mentioned Pokemon, they are all worn down rather easily and can be sufficiently weakened / KO'd depending on how good the opponent is. Nasty Plot guarantees these checks are beaten and it can tear holes in the opposing team, allowing Aerodactyl to sweep. Most teams overlook this Pokemon as an offensive threat which is why it can easily lure and KO / cripple these checks.

252 SpA Life Orb Azelf Energy Ball vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Mega Swampert: 463-546 (115.4 - 136.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Azelf Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Bronzong: 198-234 (58.5 - 69.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Azelf Fire Blast vs. 240 HP / 16 SpD Eviolite Doublade: 346-408 (108.4 - 127.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Azelf Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Filter Mega Aggron: 209-248 (60.7 - 72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Azelf Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Suicune: 221-260 (54.7 - 64.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Azelf Energy Ball vs. 40 HP / 216 SpD Alomomola: 325-385 (67.5 - 80%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Azelf Psychic vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Gligar: 175-207 (52.5 - 62.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Azelf Energy Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Krookodile: 333-393 (100.6 - 118.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

everyone dislike threw's posts

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 4 Def/252 SpA/252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Flamethrower

The only reason I would nominate this set is because nearly everyone assumes that you are running the BD set. Lures out Bulky waters and Steel types that MAero can't immediately break through. Will post calcs later (on phone).

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Metagross @ Expert Belt
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 220 Atk / 108 SpA / 180 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Grass Knot

Premise is rather simple. HP Fire lures and OHKOs Forretress, chunks out Doublade. Meteor Mash combined with Metagross' typing allows it to hopefully boost up from Cresselia and force it to take a large amount of damage although it's not the most reliable. Grass Knot lures out Swampert and kills after an Earthquake iirc. EQ just provides good neutral coverage against pokemon like Entei who you don't want to let in for free on the offensive teams you would likely feature this set on. The EVs outspeed Modest Sylveon, hit a Jump point in Attack and dump the rest into Special Attack to hopefully snag that kill vs Swampert with Grass Knot. Other spreads are out there but this is the one I use most often. Enjoy.

CBU

Banned deucer.
I wouldn't normally do that but the idea of potentially losing to fuckin mixed gross of all actual sets forced me.
I vote myself

If voting yourself is illegal pls take this post down

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)