CAP 23 CAP 23 - Part 1 - Concept Assessment

Status
Not open for further replies.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Welcome to CAP 23! Time to get our initial discussion underway, and figure out a direction for our project. The concept you have selected is as follows:

Name: Wait! It's a Trap Move!

Description: A Pokémon that can make effective use of semi-trapping, fully trapping, or self-trapping move(s).

Justification: Trapping is a somewhat polarized mechanic in the current SM metagame. In terms of ability-based trappers we have Dugtrio, perhaps one of the most hated (or most loved, really depends on the situation) Pokémon thanks to its ability Arena Trap. There is also the occasionally seen Magnezone that uses Magnet Pull to lure in and decimate Steel type Pokemon. All trapping effects are ignored by the Shed Shell item or simply by being a Ghost type. However, this is not the kind of trapping I want to focus on. Focusing on abilities leaves few options, and the general mechanics are the same: Lure, Trap, Destroy. Nothing much new is to be found there.

So, instead, I would like this concept to focus on trapping moves. For those unfamiliar with the term, there are a few types of trapping moves which I will make an attempt to explain here. A semi- or partially trapping move prevents the opponent from switching out for a set number of turns while also usually doing a set percent of damage. Example moves would be Whirlpool, Fire Spin, Infestation, and Magma Storm (but don't use that last one, it's legendary exclusive!). There are also what I like to call fully trapping moves, moves that prevent the opponent from switching not for a set number of turns, but instead until the Pokémon who used the move leaves the battlefield. This category includes moves such as Block as well as the brand-new Gen 7 moves of Anchor Shot and Spirit Shackle. Also are what I call self-trapping moves, which is just Ingrain to my knowledge. This move (and if any similar ones come about) lock the USER into battle. Lastly, just to make sure I cover all my bases, Fairy Lock is an interesting trapping move that prevents any Pokémon, friend or foe, from leaving the battlefield on the following turn only (Barring the usual exceptions).

This concept fits in the Actualization and Archetype categories. Trapping moves are exceedingly rare in their usage. The most effective in OU currently is Magma Storm Heatran, but this is by far not its only nor its best set. Expanding our gaze slightly we may find the strange Stall-Trap or Perish-Trap strategies in use in varying parts of the ladder. Even further? Ok then, in Ubers you can find an excellent example of self-trapping in Ingrain Xerneas, which helps prevent the opponent from forcing Xerneas out after it has set up its boosts. In addition, one could look at SD Trapper Decidueye that sets up with Swords Dance after trapping a helpless opponent via Spirit Shackle. Dhelmise can also use Anchor Shot, though I'm not terribly sure as to how that set works... Regardless, that makes about four solid examples of trapping moves across four different tiers, and none of the sets are by any means the only or most effective sets those Pokémon can run (Except maybe Dhelmise. Is there an RU player here who can help me out with that thing?). Overall, the relative rarity of these moves in competitive play when contrasted with the seemingly powerful effect of locking in the opponent begs a variety of questions about the nature and use of said trapping moves. To best explore these moves, designing a Pokémon to use and abuse them makes the most sense for understanding how to properly use them (whatever that would mean).

Questions To Be Answered:
(Base) Is there a 'best' way to utilize trapping moves? If so, what playstyle does it most align with?
(Base) Is there a 'best' type of trapping move overall, or are they each truly viable in their own ways?
(Base) What is the value in trapping the opposing Pokémon? Are certain traps better than others? Why?
(Base) What synergies work well with trapping moves? Why do they have such a great synergy, and how can that be expanded or dealt with in the process of teambuilding?
(Comparison) How do trapping moves compare against trapping abilities? Are there any inherent benefits and disadvantages and if so, what are they?
(Metagame) Are there any particular archetype matchups in which a trapping-move Pokémon would have an advantage? A disadvantage? Why is that?
(Metagame) What has contributed to the lack of presence of trapping moves in our metagame? Is it a plethora of other options, a lack of viable abusers, or something else?
(Metagame) How does the trapping mechanic interact with the value of switching out?
Guidelines:
1) Pay close attention to the Topic Leader during this discussion. His job is to keep us focused and to bring insight.
2) Do not poll jump. Poll jumping is a serious offense in these threads, and you can get infracted for it. Poll jumping is when you discuss something that should be discussed in the future, like specifying a CAP's stats or typing. You're allowed to hint at such things to conclude a point or to provide an example, but do not centralize your post on a poll jump. Poll jumping hurts the focus of early threads and can cause us to go off on a tangent. If you're not sure if you're poll jumping or not, err on the side of caution and don't post it.

Our topic leader, snake_rattler, will start off this thread with his opening thoughts. Make absolutely certain that you use his post as a starting point for your discussion to follow. Continue to pay attention to his posts as he begins to guide the community through the chosen topic! It's very important that we are discussing with each other under the TL's guidance, and not talk *over* each other! Posts will be deleted accordingly!

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
Hi everyone! Welcome to the Concept Assessment stage, where we analyze and discuss our concept, "Wait! It's a Trap Move!" Please read this entire post (excluding Cool Snake #2 if you don't like snakes).
Name: Wait! It's a Trap Move!

Description: A Pokémon that can make effective use of semi-trapping, fully trapping, or self-trapping move(s).

Justification: Trapping is a somewhat polarized mechanic in the current SM metagame. In terms of ability-based trappers we have Dugtrio, perhaps one of the most hated (or most loved, really depends on the situation) Pokémon thanks to its ability Arena Trap. There is also the occasionally seen Magnezone that uses Magnet Pull to lure in and decimate Steel type Pokemon. All trapping effects are ignored by the Shed Shell item or simply by being a Ghost type. However, this is not the kind of trapping I want to focus on. Focusing on abilities leaves few options, and the general mechanics are the same: Lure, Trap, Destroy. Nothing much new is to be found there.

So, instead, I would like this concept to focus on trapping moves. For those unfamiliar with the term, there are a few types of trapping moves which I will make an attempt to explain here. A semi- or partially trapping move prevents the opponent from switching out for a set number of turns while also usually doing a set percent of damage. Example moves would be Whirlpool, Fire Spin, Infestation, and Magma Storm (but don't use that last one, it's legendary exclusive!). There are also what I like to call fully trapping moves, moves that prevent the opponent from switching not for a set number of turns, but instead until the Pokémon who used the move leaves the battlefield. This category includes moves such as Block as well as the brand-new Gen 7 moves of Anchor Shot and Spirit Shackle. Also are what I call self-trapping moves, which is just Ingrain to my knowledge. This move (and if any similar ones come about) lock the USER into battle. Lastly, just to make sure I cover all my bases, Fairy Lock is an interesting trapping move that prevents any Pokémon, friend or foe, from leaving the battlefield on the following turn only (Barring the usual exceptions).

This concept fits in the Actualization and Archetype categories. Trapping moves are exceedingly rare in their usage. The most effective in OU currently is Magma Storm Heatran, but this is by far not its only nor its best set. Expanding our gaze slightly we may find the strange Stall-Trap or Perish-Trap strategies in use in varying parts of the ladder. Even further? Ok then, in Ubers you can find an excellent example of self-trapping in Ingrain Xerneas, which helps prevent the opponent from forcing Xerneas out after it has set up its boosts. In addition, one could look at SD Trapper Decidueye that sets up with Swords Dance after trapping a helpless opponent via Spirit Shackle. Dhelmise can also use Anchor Shot, though I'm not terribly sure as to how that set works... Regardless, that makes about four solid examples of trapping moves across four different tiers, and none of the sets are by any means the only or most effective sets those Pokémon can run (Except maybe Dhelmise. Is there an RU player here who can help me out with that thing?). Overall, the relative rarity of these moves in competitive play when contrasted with the seemingly powerful effect of locking in the opponent begs a variety of questions about the nature and use of said trapping moves. To best explore these moves, designing a Pokémon to use and abuse them makes the most sense for understanding how to properly use them (whatever that would mean).

Questions To Be Answered:
(Base) Is there a 'best' way to utilize trapping moves? If so, what playstyle does it most align with?
(Base) Is there a 'best' type of trapping move overall, or are they each truly viable in their own ways?
(Base) What is the value in trapping the opposing Pokémon? Are certain traps better than others? Why?
(Base) What synergies work well with trapping moves? Why do they have such a great synergy, and how can that be expanded or dealt with in the process of teambuilding?
(Comparison) How do trapping moves compare against trapping abilities? Are there any inherent benefits and disadvantages and if so, what are they?
(Metagame) Are there any particular archetype matchups in which a trapping-move Pokémon would have an advantage? A disadvantage? Why is that?
(Metagame) What has contributed to the lack of presence of trapping moves in our metagame? Is it a plethora of other options, a lack of viable abusers, or something else?
(Metagame) How does the trapping mechanic interact with the value of switching out?

Explanation:

With the variety of different trapping moves available for use, a variety of archetypes can be built depending on the choice of move. To start, let's first analyze the semi-trapping moves. As mentioned before the basic applications for these fall in the categories of trapping and stalling out opponents through the use of Toxic or other status ailments. Alternatively, as with Heatran, it's used to trap vulnerable Pokémon in order to further weaken them to critical levels or straight up KO them. It was also mentioned during updates another strategy of using the moves of Pokémon who cannot do anything to your Pokémon and then setting up to sweep, as with Infestation on Aurumoth and Syclant, though this was generically deemed unviable. As for the fully-trapping moves, they are far more inclined to be used in the set up manner, as with the previously mentioned Decidueye. Again, stall sets works well with these moves as well, as they fully prevent escape instead of trapping just for a few turns. However, they do not do damage at the end of each turn, making the chip damage not as substantial. Ingrain honestly in the CAP metagame does not have any real foreseeable use. The anti-phasing properties applied to the Pokémon aren't useful unless you're trying to set up, and HazeHawk already makes easy work of any physical and non-SE moves if it switches in early enough. From there, it can usually chip you down. There could be some viability if you wanted to use super effective STAB moves such as Psychic type or Fairy type moves, but that seems a bit limiting, so I wouldn't necessarily encourage it unless someone thinks of a radically different use. Lastly we come to the more support-oriented role of Fairy Lock. The main way I have personally used this is on a Spikes, Dual Screens Lead Klefki. I let it set up until it was about to die, then used Fairy Lock to trap the opponent for an easy revenge kill. There are ways to use this move as more of a offensive role, by trapping at key points when you predict the opponent, but more importantly, this move is not very compatible with the stall playstyle, as the effect only lasts one turn. In addition to all of this, "trapping synergies with three great follow-up strategies: setting up, safely pivoting out, and using a powerful Z move lure" (snek), all of which can be considered when constructing the CAP. Overall, there are some similar threads of playstyles and archetypes, but each with its own niche.
Here is a list of trapping moves. This list excludes Magma Storm and Thousand Waves, which we can look at later if we want, but for now let's look at this list of moves first. Please do not discuss these two moves at this time. All of the moves on the list should be considered for CAP23, regardless of their signature status.
Anchor Shot
Block
Bind
Clamp
Fairy Lock
Fire Spin
Infestation
Ingrain
Mean Look
Sand Tomb
Spider Web
Spirit Shackle
Whirlpool
Wrap

*Pursuit falls into a weird area in that it "traps" opponents by discouraging them from switching out, but it doesn't deny the option of switching out. For these reasons, please do not discuss this move either.

Before we start assigning what kind of role we want CAP23 to fulfill, we should discuss trapping moves in general. Below are some questions to help us figure out what we want from CAP23 and trapping moves. For now, please focus on answering these questions or commenting on someone else's answers to these questions. You may answer as many or few questions as you'd like.

Questions:
1. Pokemon using trapping moves seems to be a rare sight in the CAP Metagame. Why is it an underrepresented strategy?
2. Trapping moves and trapping abilities function very differently. Why is this?
3. What are the advantages of running trapping moves? What are the inherent disadvantages? Do all trapping moves share all of the same problems, or are there common problems between them?
4. What kinds of moves pair well with trapping moves? What makes the trapping move worth running alongside those moves, rather than just not running said trapping move?

These are just some personal requests of mine for this thread. These are to ensure that this discussion is easy to refer back to and isn't cluttered with long, flimsy posts. These are NOT to discourage anyone from posting.

A. Answer the questions by copy and pasting the exact questions above into your post and listing your answer beneath them. This prevents confusion when we refer back to posts, as someone might not know what Question #3 is off the top of their head.

B. If you're going to make a list of moves or other terms, please put some thought behind it. Group them, talk about their possible implications, or give some thoughtful analysis. Just don't make a long list for the sake of making a long list. I'd rather see a short list of well-thought out points than a long list of extremely underdeveloped points. If you can't write 1-2 sentences with content on an item in your list, you might want to consider reformatting your post.

C. If you disagree with someone, there's absolutely no need to get hostile with anyone. Making a convincing argument is much better than trying to insult someone personally.

Don't forget to read the guidelines in the post above mine as well.
With this, let's get started!

EDIT: Link to a post about trapping mechanics.

EDIT: People didnt' like cool snake #2, so take cool snake #2.1 instead!

Last edited:
1. Pokemon using most trapping moves seems to be a rare sight in the CAP Metagame. Why is it an underrepresented strategy?

I think it is due to the fact that there are no viable users of trapping moves in the metagame, barring Magma Storm Heatran. Even Heatran isn't all that great with things like Colossoil eating it for breakfast.

2. Trapping moves and trapping abilities function very differently. Why is this?

First of all, there is a bigger opportunity cost to running trapping moves as opposed to trapping abilities. The abilities activate automatically and never end without fail. As for the moves, very few last until the foe switches out, and two of them are types that things are immune to. The only fully trapping move with no immunities to stop it is Anchor Shot, which is on Dhelmise who sits down in RU and is nowhere near viable in the OU metagame, let alone the CAP metagame. Ingrain traps the user, not the foe and is only any good on Xerneas in Ubers due to it protecting against phaze-moves. Fairy Lock is only for a single turn and traps everyone and is a signature move. That only leaves partially-trapping moves. They only trap for a certain amount of turns but deliver chip damage.

(I'm likely making a horrible post but I'm trying. Please don't hurt me)

Trapping moves, unlike abilities, have very clear counterplay: The ability to switch into your counter BEFORE getting trapped. This inherently makes trapping moves weaker, and therefore, considered somewhat unviable as a whole. While they are both similar to each other, this equates to a huge difference. There would be no way that you would ever want to switch your wall into a pokemon that could effectively trap it, but having a Shadow Tag or Arena Trap poke lets you choose the match-up that you want.

4. What kinds of moves pair well with trapping moves? What makes the trapping move worth running alongside those moves, rather than just not running said trapping move?
Most status moves such as toxic, willo and perish song work the best with trapping moves. Boosting moves such as Sd and Bulk up are proved to be effective too, as both Decidueye and Dhelmise use them in their main sets in UU and RU, respectively. Heatran and Tapu Fini, the only viable pokes with a trapping move, use taunt and (In Heatran's case)toxic to stallbreak along with their trapping moves. In Ubers, mega Gengar uses Perish song to stall out opposing pokes with it's shadow tag ability. This concept could be incorporated into CAP 23 as well, since after trapping it's target, it can effectively remove it since they cannot swap. One trend you might notice is that Toxic/taunt is mainly used with % damage moves while the Perma-trapping moves are used more with boosting moves. The reason the trapping move is used beside these moves are due to the fact that you can effectively eliminate a Pokemon for free if they can't deal meaningful damage to you, since they're probably either taunted, or a weak attacker in general. A cool possibility to be used alongside a trapping move is a form of instant recovery, as only Decidueye can use roost to heal itself.

All in all, this cap should definitely be interesting to see develop, and hopefully it becomes viable in the future.

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
1. Pokemon using trapping moves seems to be a rare sight in the CAP Metagame. Why is it an underrepresented strategy?
There are multiple factors over different trapping moves that generally cause them to be unappealing as usable moves and strategies. But generally, most of the moves suffer heavily from low accuracy and hilariously low base powers (or no damage dealing capability in the case of Block, Spider Web, and Mean Look) that make them far more unappealing to use compared to other utility/coverage options. The "good" trapping moves such as Spirit Shackle and Anchor Shot are both signature moves, and their users Decidueye and Dhelmise respectively are not currently viable in the CAP Metagame. As for Ingrain, the entire move puts yourself at a terrible disadvantage, as it stops yourself from switching. This means that the opponent can effortlessly switch in a mon to check and KO you. Probably should avoid that one.

Proper switching into a check for the user can make most trapping moves far easier to deal with and can usually be avoided due to switching by the user causing the effect to lift. Trapping abilities do not have such problems unless the trapped Pokemon carries U-turn or Volt Switch, since trapping abilities can only be switched out of manually if the opponents switches out while the trapper comes in.

3. What are the advantages of running trapping moves? What are the inherent disadvantages? Do all trapping moves share all of the same problems, or are there common problems between them?
Restriction of switching is an incredibly huge plus for competitive Pokemon battling, as prediction and switching accordingly are essential to success in battle. This means that you can very easily force the opposing Pokemon into a terrible situation with your moves if they are used correctly. These moves generally also have high PP meaning that they can be used consistently throughout the match without the fear of depletion. However, these moves do not restrict move usability, meaning that opponents can still threaten the user or execute thier role effectively while they are trapped. They also can lessen the blow of semi-trapping through usage of Rapid Spin or recovery to heal off the residual damage.

Boosting moves such as Dragon Dance, Calm Mind, and Tail Glow generally work well with trapping as trapping moves turn the desire trapped opponent into setup fodder. Unless the trapped mon can remove these effects, hazards and other utility moves in the line of taunt can be very easily set. What makes trapping so great to use along with these moves is that the opponent has very few ways of stopping CAP 23 if you trapped the correct mon.

Edit: Fixed the misinformation about semi-trapping lingering.

Last edited:

Mainly because the users of said techniques are extremely rare and / or lack the means to fully take advantage of trapping attacks.

Anchor Shot - Learned only by Dhelmise, which is an unviable Pokémon.
Block - Can be learned by Pokémon like Landorus, Tangrowth and Slowbro, but they have many better things to do.
Bind - Inaccurate, weak and with terrible coverage. All Pokémon who learn it have better moves to use.
Clamp - Cloyster can learn this, but if you are using Clamp Cloyster then you are using the Pokémon wrong.
Fairy Lock - Learned only by Klefki. Prankster Fairy Lock sounds interesting, but a lack of stuff like recovery and offensive power undermines the strategy.
Fire Spin - Same deal with Bind, with the difference that it is learned by Fire-types. And none of the Fire-types in the list are viable. Heatran is a good Pokémon, but it already has Magma Storm as the superior choice.
Infestation - Has been used in the past by stuff like Shuckle and Goodra to trap their opponents, but they both have a glaring lack of recovery to take on their opponents more easily. The most they can do is Toxic stall them and Rest away.
Ingrain - Useful for setup users who don't want to be blown away by Whirlind and other phasing attacks, but this comes at the price of being unable to switch and to be used as setup bait.
Mean Look - Used at times for PerishTrapping purposes, but very few users can be considered viable. It could be possible to create some meme sets like Mean Look + Toxic / Destiny Bind Cofagrigus, but more often than not the Pokémon who can learn the move have other roles to fulfill.
Sand Tomb - Same deal with Bind and Fire Spin.
Spider Web - Learned only by the spiders, and they often prefer to either lay down Sticky Webs (Galvantula), straight up attack the opponent (Araquanid)… or just stay stored in a box (Ariados).
Spirit Shackle - Replace Dhelmise with Decidueye and you got the answer. Somewhat viable in the lower tiers as a setup trapper thanks to its reliable recovery.
Whirlpool - Used rarely by Tapu Fini and Latios to trap their target and stallbreak / eliminate them. Not exactly the best sets.
Wrap - Same deal with Bind.

This is mainly because trapping Abilities are triggered the moment the Pokémon enters in the battlefield, while a trapping move needs to be used first.

The advantage is that you can essentially trap a specific target and cripple it, if not outright remove it from the game. The main disadvantage is that trapping moves either lack any offensive prowess (Block, Spider Web), are very inaccurate (Fire Spin, Whirlpool, Magma Storm), or are generally weak (Infestation), which means that you essentially are forced to use one moveslot in order to trap the target, often causing the user to suffer from heavy 4MSS.

The only moves that avert this issue are Anchor Shot and Spirit Shackle, since they have both good power and accuracy, but both moves are only found on the unviable Decidueye and Dhelmise. However, in other metagames, like STABmon, it's possible to see how truly terrifying those moves can be, if used properly.

Toxic is one of the best partners for a trapper, since you can literally Toxic-stall your chosen target. This strategy is already used with some bulky Pokémon, like Tapu Fini with its Whirlpool + Toxic combo, which becomes really annoying if paired with hazards.

Other similar HP-draining moves and status could work well, like Leech Seed -- which not only reduces the health of the target but restores your own health -- Perish Song -- which eliminates one of the opponent's teammates, and which constitutes the infamous PerishTrap -- and the Burn status -- which exchanges the amount of HP lost by the target for the ability to take some physical blows more easily. You can do the same thing by giving away Black Sludge to non-Poison Pokémon with Trick / Switcheroo, but the other methods are more reliable.

Setup moves are fairly good as well, since you can potentially Taunt / Encore a target and use it as setup bait. This works well mainly against defensive Pokémon, who often lack the power to threaten back the setup user.

The main benefit of using trapping moves would be to whittle down the target rapidly or to boost your stats to sky high levels, which wouldn't be as easily possible if it wasn't trapped by a trapping move or Ability.

Until Gen 7, all trapping moves either dealt low damage and worked for a few turns or did no damage but kepy the opponent trapped until the user left the field. Meanwhile the two newer and better, imo, trapping moves are exclusive to Decidueye and Dhelmise, both of which are rarely seen in the CAP Meta.

Trapping abilities are passive and work as long as the pokemon with the ability remains on the field. Trapping moves must be selected and used like any other attack.

A clear advantage is the fact that you can turn an enemy Pokemon into a captive audience, letting you set up in relative safety. However, if the opponent is aware of this plan, they will try to switch ti a Pokemon that would force the trapping Pokemon off of the field. Even then,
You do get a chance to switch without your opponent being able a switch. This is a common problem with trapping moves. Additionally, all ghost-types are immune to all trapping effects.

Setup moves let you take advantage of the turns that you can get with a good catch with a trapping move. Meanwhile being able to pivot out of the way when you catch something that you cant deal with too well.

Trap moves allow a poke to choose its opportunity to do the job it needs down: trapping a pokemon it can set up on, allow it to set up hazards, spread harmful status while accumulating chip damage, or allowing it to assassinate certain threats. The main disadvantages are the fact it needs to use a turn actually using the move, meaning there is a high chance it will need to take a hit and its a turn you aren't doing something else. More offensively focused mons would rather use more powerful, direct forms of damage, there are other ways to counter dangerous mons (revenger killers or just plain type counters), and there are other ways to wear a team down (hazards/phazing/VoltTurn). Plus you give up a valuable move slot, so most pokemon with trapping moves find better ways to be effective. And also I just realized you can Rapid Spin out of trapping moves.

EDIT: Can only spin out of binding moves (Fire Spin, etc.)

Mean Look and Block are unappealing since they offer no damage or other status effects. Wrap and its like offer low amounts of damage and cover very few type options. Anchor Shot/Spirit Shackle offer actual direct damage, but have low distribution and their users reside in lower tiers.

I've seen a Shuckle set in random battles using Infestation, Stealth Rock, and Toxic. Infestation's trapping keeps the opponent from switching out and resetting % damage while adding chip damage of its own. Even with it's bad offensive stats this lets it assassinate a poke that can't KO it and also set up hazards. As others have mentioned, if you can trap a poke that can't do much to you, you can use it as setup bait as well. This is probably better for pokemon that otherwise would have limited other opportunities to set up. For example, ZardX isn't going to need to lay down a FireSpin in order to DD but something with a double weakness might want to. Trapping moves are step one of the trapper's scheme. If it doesn't have a step two in mind, its better to run a different move.

Last edited:

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
I hate to interject so early in discussion, but I really want to introduce two important trapping move mechanics I've seen incorrect so far.

1. The effect of trapping moves ends the turn after the trapper switches out, no matter the trapping move.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-615622956

This replay shows that Whirlpool's damaging effect does not persist after Tapu Fini switches out, nor does the trapping effect persist. The Clefable was Magic Guard, so the additional damaging effect did not affect it at first.

2. Rapid Spin only affects certain trapping moves - "binding moves" like Whirlpool, Fire Spin, Infestation, Wrap, Bind, and Clamp - the ones that do damage at the end of a turn and end after awhile. Rapid Spin does NOT affect full trapping moves like Block, Ingrain, and Spirit Shackle.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-615624814

This replay shows that a binding move's effect (that of Whirlpool, Fire Spin, etc.) can be lifted by Rapid Spin. Scratchet (a CAP Prevo, which has the ability Scrappy) did not take additional damage from Whirlpool after using Rapid Spin. However, we can see that the effect of Spirit Shackle (which is grouped with moves like Block and Ingrain as well) was not lifted after using Rapid Spin (Rapid Spin was able to hit the Ghost-type Dhelmise because of Scrappy).

Please take note of these two important mechanics when posting. Do some research or ask questions in the CAP Project chatroom on Pokemon Showdown! on your own as well if you're not sure about a mechanic. Please do not assume mechanics.

Aside from maybe Heatran with Magma Storm, no Pokemon with a decent* trapping move is really viable in the metagame right now. Decidueye and Dhelmise, the receivers of other "good" trapping moves, aren't really viable at all due to low speed. Heatran struggles quite a bit due to the presence of Colossoil, an- oh someone already said most of this above.

*Decent meaning stuff like Magma Storm, Spirit Shackle, Anchor Shot. The rest are usually not worth the turn it takes to use them.

When a Pokemon with a trapping ability switches in, the opposing Pokemon is unable to switch out the next turn, giving the opponent little to no time to react and switch out, unless it's through a prediction. Trapping moves, on the other hand, allow the opponent to switch out its Pokemon if they're expecting the trapping move to be used, and switch in something that can threaten the user.

The advantage of running a trapping move is the imminent threat of it being trapped in and becoming setup fodder. The opponent can either stay in or switch out when under this threat. Unfortunately, the disadvantage of a trapping move is the opponent immediately being able to switching into something that stops the user from doing its job, whatever that may be (Decidueye setting up, for example). Not every trapping move shares the same problem, some don't see use because they're not worth the turn they're used on (Fire Spin, Whirlpool etc.), while others just aren't useful most of the time due to being easily countered (Block and Spider Web).

Set up moves immediately come to mind. Being able to set up on an opponent that can't touch you or can't do much against you allows you to become a threat immediately upon switching in. Set up moves allow the user to take advantage of a passive opponent that's trapped in, however, trapping in a check/counter kinda stops you from doing setting up.
Running the trapping move is worth it due to the ability to be able to pressure something to switch out or risk getting swept.

Last edited:

Ignus

Copying deli meat to hard drive
I'm going to focus more on question 3. What are the advantages of running trapping moves?

First, let's talk about some term I'm making up right now because I think it's useful to talk about how good a move is: 'Turn Efficiency'.

Any move EVER can actually be notated in terms of turn efficiency, which is exactly what it sounds like it is. Arbitrarily, let's just say that OHKOing an opposing Pokemon is an 100% efficient turn. By extension, a 2hko is a 50% efficient turn, using Swords Dance and then KOing an opposing opponent's Pokemon over two turns is on average 50% efficient, etc. You can even rate moves like Stealth Rock in terms of turn efficiency based on how much damage it causes when your opponent switches into it, or by how many KOs it helps secure.
Basically, turn efficiency is a generically decent way to evaluate how good certain decisions during battle are.

Trapping moves, when used in their best case, can guarantee high turn efficiency. If Decidueye traps an opposing Pokemon, sets up Swords Dance and a Substitute, and then proceeds to kill two pokemon, the entire sequence of turns becomes a total of 200% efficient or MORE if it manages to chip a third opponent. That's hella good.

Unfortunately, the downside to trapping moves is that they're not that efficient in situations where the opponent switches to something that beats the trapper. Infestation, for example, will end up being only a bit over 12.5% efficient in situations where the opponent switches out.

To put it simply, trapping moves 'suck' if the opponent isn't braindead and switches out.
Well, sort of. That's where the fun part about trapping moves comes in. The interesting part about using a trapping move in a situation where a check is switching in is that they can't switch out afterwards. This prevents any form of double switch, easing prediction! It's pretty decent!

Basically,
  • Trapping moves have a potentially super efficient 'best case scenario' where the opponent stays in
  • Trapping moves have a mediocre 'most common scenario' where the opponent switches a check in to the trapping move
  • The most common scenario still limits the opponent's options in the next turn, so trapping moves aren't really that bad. They're situationally really good.

As it has been said already, the users of trapping moves are mostly unviable and thend to lack the ability to abuse trapping by themselves. It does no good to trap an opponent only to have it lay waste to the trapper. Trapping without purpose is like turn 1 Protect: mostly useless and likely to backfire.

(This is going to answer both, kind of)

The most obvious difference is that trapping abilities are passive: they work from the moment the trapper is switched in, unlike trapping moves which must be actively used (and take up a whole turn) to do their job. At a first glance, this puts trapping moves at a disadvantage: the difference is akin to Drizzle vs. Rain Dance. Most of the times, this is true: abilities > moves. However, one advantage of trapping moves is that the user can pick when to use them, and which Pokémon to trap. In this way the Pokémon can choose whether to trap or do something else. When you switch in Dugtrio, you are already saying "I'm going to trap you" from the moment it comes out. Our CAP will have the option to do something different if it's the most efficient strategy at the moment; heck, it can even fake a trapping set to lure opponents into playing around it and take advantage of that, or do a surprise move when the opponent expects a trapping move.

Since trapping moves are inferior to trapping abilities on the whole, it is my opinion that CAP needs to be more versatile than usual trappers, to keep the opponent guess rather than being singularly focused on trapping. If clicking whatever trapping move we're going to give CAP is always the best play, then we're basically making a budget version of a Shadow Tagger or Arena Trapper. No, trapping should create mindgames, even more if we use trapping moves.

Setup moves are the obvious answer, trap something who can't touch you and setup in its face. Another fairly obvious answer are stalling moves, Toxic over all others, but also Leech Seed and other residual damage moves. Overall I think that a great deal of non damaging moves can be abused alonside trapping: you can trap a passive Pokémon to set up hazards in its face, or trap their hazards remover so said hazards will stay up. Even forcing the trapped Pokémon to take paralysis or a burn can be rewarding in the long run.

Like most other people already said, there aren't any viable pokemon in the CAP Metagame that have access to trapping moves. And those that have access, usually have something better to do with that moveslot. This makes trapping moves more of a gimmick or tech than an actual thing.

Trapping abilities require the opponent to predict the Mon and switch out on their switch-in. Trapping moves give the opponent one more turn to react, either through switching out or threatening your mon with its moves.

Advantages:
+ They pressure the opponent to plays, if they don't want to get their pokemon trapped.
+ Even if they switch into a counter, you get the opportunity to switch without having to fear a double-switch.
Disadvantages:
- All trapping moves can be dealt with through U-Turn/Volt Switch/Parting Shot/Baton Pass Banned Pass or Shed Shell (correct me if I'm wrong here)
- All trapping moves loose their effect when the user switches out.
- Round-based offensive trapping moves can be stopped by Rapid Spin
- Non-damaging trapping moves can be prevented through Taunt, also the non-damaging aspect is just another disadvantage.
The best trapping moves seem to be Anchor Shot and Spirit Shackle, since they at least don't have any of the last two weaknesses.

Covfefe Coverage against weaknesses comes to my mind. Since the opponent can switch into a counter on the turn you use the trapping move, it would be beneficial to have a super effective move against the switch-in, making the mon an effective lure, robbing the opponent of the opportunity to scout for the coverage move.
Like other already said, setup moves or Poison/Burn stall is also a good option.

Because no one ever uses that stuff, its pretty niche. Stuff like decidueye and dhelmise don't show up. Whirlpool toxic fini is a rare set, and if you really wanted to trap someone, run dugtrio.

(this is for both)

Trapping abilities trap the user as SOON as they get on the field, yet take an ability slot.Trapping moves actually give opponents time to switch out before they trap them, and takes up a move slot, but they get to keep their abilities.
Trapping moves are pretty inferior to trapping abilities, but they have two advtanages, not taking the ability slot AND having a nice bonus like harming the other pokemon.
Trapping move's problems well, they all have one massive flaw. The opponent can switch out immediately

Set up moves would probably pair well with them. You trap some passive mon/mon that can't touch em and you set up over them. For example, Cap23 sub, bulk up and anchor shot. It anchor shots some poor soul, subs on it and bulks up away.

1/2/3
Trapping moves have always been rarely seen competitively (at least after Gen I). The main reason to run trapping moves is to limit the opponent's ability to switch again, meaning that you can reliably remove the trapped foe. The problem with this is the free turn your opponent gets before you the trapping takes effects, which put the trapping moves in a huge disadvantage when compared to trapping abilities, which don't suffer from this problem as they take effect automatically, without giving the opponent a chance to react. Due to this limitation, most of the time they will switch into something that you won't be able to take 1v1, rendering the trapping pointless. This leads me to believe that unpredictability is the key to success in this project, as this would mean that the opponent could be forced to switch into something that may be able to deal with most sets, but it can be beaten after trapping by another one.

Another factor that contributes to the lacks of trapping moves in the meta is that they either have low Base Power and accuracy (Fire Spin)or are signature moves (Anchor Shot, Spirit Shackle, Magma Storm). Therefore when most Pokemon want to use these moves, they're forced to run a very sub-optimal move, to the point where hitting super effectively the damage dealt will be inferior to just using a normal coverage move. This means offensive mons would rather just use extra coverage while defensive ones dislike how unreliable these moves are and prefer some other utility option.

Z-moves are one of the best combinations in my opinion, as they are powerful one time nukes, and being certain you are not wasting them is very helpful. Heatran already uses Z-Solar Beam+Magma Storm to reliably nail Water-Types, which shows the power of this combo. I can see CAP 23 taking this direction.

Boosting moves also pair well with trapping, particularly against defensive checks that may be unable to take repeated boosted hits and deal significant damage against boosted defenses. This combination could become even deadlier if a recovery move is added, as this really narrows the possible counterplay to this strategy even more. Overall, while effective, I think this approach could end up being problematic, as this would not only let you eliminate a threat, but it could also allow you to set up a game-ending sweep.

Stalling moves are yet another type of moves that benefits from a trapped foe, as your opponent won't be able to switch to a more appropriate response, and thing like Leech Seed and Toxic will became much more lethal.

Something I don't recall being brought up is that some viable trappers, such as fini (and Tran somewhat in OU and Dhelmise in RU) have other non-trapping sets they're known for, and that versatility works in their favor by surprising the opponent with (partial-)trapping moves. The surprise factor really helps at preventing counterplay, as an opponent who doesn't normally anticipate trapping would be unlikely to have prepared for it. CAP 23 loses out on that suprise factor since it's overtly about trapping, and I could see people putting random status moves, likely Toxic or Burn, on vulnerable pokemon specifically to screw it over.

As mentioned, trapping abilities are automatic. Trapping moves mean that you have to actually use the move, which the opponent can react to/predict and which you could have used to use another move that would be more useful in the situation. You could even have replaced to move with a more useful one when making the set due to 4MSS.

There's also the fact that most trapping moves are not permanent.

Obviously, you normally can choose different ability as well, but there isn't much competition there.

As for self-trapping, the only ability that comes close to this effect is Suction Cups, which still lets you switch out if you want to in addition to the other advantages, which is far superior.

Some trapping moves have additional effects though, such as damage, or Ingrain's healing effect, but these are usually outclassed by other moves.

The advantages of running trapping moves are that restricting your opponent's ability to switch is useful, it can give you opportunities, such as chances to set up, that you would not have had otherwise, it stops the opponent from taking advantages of the effects of switching out, such as reduction of Badly Poisoned to normally Poisoned, loss of drowsiness, loss of volatile status, abuse of the Sleep Clause and activation of certain abilities upon switch out, such as Regenerator and Natural Cure, or switch in, such as Intimidate or weather or Terrain setting abilities. You can also prevent the curing of stat-loss, such as from Intimidate.

The introduction of Z-moves actually makes these advantages more significant as you can only use them once, so you want to make sure that you don't waste them on the wrong target or lose the boosts you can't get back from being phased in the case of self-trapping. Geomancy is also a move that you really don't ant to lose the boosts from even when not running the Z-version.

The disadvantages are that you lose the opportunity to use, or even run, a different move. Doing more damage or performing a different status move may be more useful, or at least reliable. Some pokemon, especially ghosts, are immune. You can accidentally create bad match ups. Also, in the case of self-trapping, you can end up as a sitting duck as you cannot escape yourself.

Toxic is good as you can whittle them down without them reducing badly poisoned to normally poisoned. As is Leach Seed for a similar reason. Will-o-wisp also benefits, though by less. Yawn also works as the drowsiness cannot be escaped. This similarly applies to other volatile (and to a lessor extent, non-volatile) status induction. Perish Song benefits for a similar reason.

Trapping moves also increase the viability of stat-lowering moves as the stat-loss cannot be recovered by switching out.

Set-up moves pair well with trapping moves as trapping moves gives set-up moves a good opportunity to be used.

Z-moves in general work well with trapping moves. Especially set-up Z-moves as you can protect yourself from losing the boost you cannot get back. (This particularly applies to self-trapping moves).

The advantages of running trapping moves are that restricting your opponent's ability to switch is useful, it can give you opportunities, such as chances to set up, that you would not have had otherwise, it stops the opponent from taking advantages of the effects of switching out, such as reduction of Badly Poisoned to normally Poisoned, loss of drowsiness, loss of volatile status, abuse of the Sleep Clause and activation of certain abilities upon switch out, such as Regenerator and Natural Cure, or switch in, such as Intimidate or weather or Terrain setting abilities. You can also prevent the curing of stat-loss, such as from Intimidate.
Tiny nitpicking, switching out doesn't make Toxic poison to become Regular poison. It hasn't since Gen III, if I recall correctly.

It still does reset the Toxic counter, though.

Tiny nitpicking, switching out doesn't make Toxic poison to become Regular poison. It hasn't since Gen III, if I recall correctly.

It still does reset the Toxic counter, though.
Whoops! Sorry. Guess I was outdated there. The resetting the counter must be what confused me Still significant though.

Trapping moves often lack power compared to other options, Anchor Shot has 80 BP but is only used by Dhelmise (40 base Speed). Most of the time, trapping is left to those with trapping abilities. That way, they don't need to use a moveslot on trapping, Dugtrio is a key example and can often at least 1-1 that way.
Another deterrent I have seen is coverage, sometimes a pokemon will trap the opponent only to be taken out by an unexpected coverage move.

As I explained in 1. trapping abilities do not use a moveslot, the other side of this coin is that trapping abilities are very easy to notice in a team preview. While that doesn't always mean the opponent can do anything to prevent the trap, they can work to minimise the effect. With a trapping move, the opponent is left to wonder whether the pokemon is going to use the move or not.

The key advantage of running a trapping move is knowing that the mon you trapped will be there (with the exception of Volt-Turn) until either the lock breaks or you switch. Even if you trap the wrong mon because your opponent switches, you can still choose who to bring in on the trapped mon. In short, you get the advantage of control. The disadvantage is that if the opponent sees a trapping move coming, they could either respond with a coverage or powerful move to set the trapper up for a next turn KO or use set a up move. Trapping status moves have the added advantage of being immune to Sucker Punch but they do no damage.
4. What kinds of moves pair well with trapping moves? What makes the trapping move worth running alongside those moves, rather than just not running said trapping move?Z-Moves would pair very well as the problem with Z-Moves has been the target switching out to a target that would easily block the move with either bulk or typing. The difference between doing 25-35% damage to a wall and KOing a marked target is very significant. Encore would combine for total control of the opponent. Status debuffs would also combine well: Toxic, Burn or Paralysis would leave the target crippled even if the trapper falls. Even stat-droppers would work (Razor Shell/Acid Spray), forcing the opponent to have to switch or risk being KOd even after taking out the trapper.

That is because due to the mechanics, trapping moves may seem unreliable and usually counter-intuitive, as the opposing Pokémon can switch out before the trap move hits, completely ruining your strategy. Another thing is that whenever you switch out, the effect ends so you cannot trap and switch to a good matchup.

They function differently because unlike abilities, they take a moveslot (obviously), the trapping abilities function immediately if the conditions are met (i.e. Arena Trap needs grounded foes, Magnet Pull needs Steel-type foe), while trapping moves require 1 turn to complete.

One of the advatages is if you trap the right Pokémon, you can setup in it's face and easily take it out. You can also heal or support you or your team, using Heal Bell, or maybe using Wish or Recover and it's variants.
One of the disadvantages is that trapping moves are very unpredictable, as you usually don't what they are switching into, so you usually can trap the wrong Pokémon. All trapping moves share this problem, as well as most Pokémon with trapping moves are very slow, such as Dhelmise with base 40 Speed, and Heatran with base 77 Speed.

I agree with all of the people who said Z-moves, as the attacking ones, if not resisted, can tear an unrepairable hole in the Pokémon, and setup Z-moves will make sure even after the trap ends, it will do some massive damage to your team. Status is given, as well as the chance to heal yourself back to 100%, because (assuming you trapped the right Pokémon), you can setup in front of it, take little damage, heal yourself, and KO the Pokémon.

Last edited:

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus

For starters, trapping abilities generally outclass trapping moves.

Trapping moves themselves generally find themselves in a pickle - Most trapping moves are extremely weak and are generally not worth the moveslot (Infestation, Whirlpool). Others, while permanently trapping foes, can be taunted and are seen as a wasted moveslot (Mean Look, Block). Finally the good trapping moves (Anchor Shot, Spirit Shackle) are locked away on trash mons like Decicdueye and Dhelmise.

Trapping abilities passively work as soon as the mon is on the field, provifing little counterplay. As oppossed to trapping moves which not only take up a moveslot, but must be executed for them to work. Providing oppurtunity to switchout into a counter. On the flipside, abilities basically announce themselves, while trapping moves remain hidden until used, allowing the user to play mindgames and lure out foes.

Trapping eliminates switching, and no matter mon you have trapped, intended or not, that gives you control over the battle and ultimately puts momentum in your favour. Disadvantages are, besides the limitations I stated earlier in post 1, are that partial trapping moves can be dispelled by Rapid Spin, some of them have accuracy or immunity issues, and they can be played around by a smart battler.

Set up moves work extremely well, as if you trapped correctly, you can set up on mons without fear of being overly damaged. Z-Moves and powerful attcks are also great, as it allows the mon to eliminate a key threat to the team without muvh risk, allowing another member to clean

Stalling moves are also fun, and Taunt in particular deserves a special mention, in combination with trapping, can render walls useless and crumble under their feet.

S. Court

[Takes hits in Spanish]
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor

That's a mix of two reasons imo: Pokemon with those move are unviable in the format (Anchor Shot Dhelmise, Spirit Shackle Decidueye) or have better things to do than trapping, specially because trapping abilities outclass them, and the fact U-turn, Volt Switch and the only case of a viable Parting Shot user are pretty popular in CAP Metagame like Landorus-T, Krilowatt, Crucibelle, Kerfuffle (well, it's not that popular, but still a trouble to make this move works) That without mentioning Pokemon like Necturna or Revenank are not possible to trap due to their ghost type.

That basically depende of the target CAP 23 wants to trap, but imo it could be divided in two groups: Offensive oriented tools (Setup moves, lure Z-Moves) and stallbreaking oriented tools (Taunt, Toxic, Perish Song, Encore to a extend I guess) they're not necessarily excluyent categories because setup moves are a mode to stallbreaking if mixed with Taunt

Last edited:

Trap moves are generally super weak. On top of that, I'm one of those oldbies who remembers when trapping moves could actually prevent you/your opponent from attacking; changing this in subsequent gens has reduced the defensive viability of the strategy.

Trapping abilities are more about pinning a pokemon in place rather than delaying a switch like the trapping moves do. In as much as you have a 5 turn maximum for moves, trapping abilities are more permanent.

You can be a thorn in someone's side for up to 5 turns and stack in a little extra damage in the process. I think typing and opponent defense/special defense should be considered as a potential negative, because if the matchup isn't in your favor, you're just wasting a move by plinking it instead of shaving off HP as intended. This is a YMMV negative, but I think it's a common problem.

I'm not very familiar with competitive play in general, but I like the thought of boosting the shave-off with poison status moves.

What are the advantages of running trapping moves? What are the inherent disadvantages? Do all trapping moves share all of the same problems, or are there common problems between them?

All the moves that trap the foe for large amoung of time (this include all the trapping moves exept ingrain and fairy lock) have some common advantages. Firstly, if you trap a foe that can't touch you, you are free to do what ever you want (set up, heal your self, set hazard,...). Of course, this is a very limited strategy since the opponent is never rarly going to let you trap a pokemon that can't touche you. Secondly, a trapped foe is weaker to toxic, leech seed, stats lowering and especialy to perish song.
All these move have also common disadvantages: they a useless if the trapped pokemon has a switching move (u-turn, volt switch and parting shot) and it is very hard to trap a pokemon that you want to trap.
trapping moves with indirect damage (bind, fire spin, clamp, Whirlpool, sand tomb, infestation and wrap) have more advantages since the damages at the end of the turn can be usefull and even if they trap the foe only for a number of turn, 4-5 turn is generaly engough.

Ingrain has also some advantages as it gives you a regeneration and prevent the opponent from forcing you to switch out. The regeneration doesn't worth a turn, but trapping your own pokemon can be usefull if he is set up, to keep him on the terrain with his stats boost. The disadvantage of this move is obvious: you can no longer switch out after using it, which can be a problem if you didn't think well before using it.
In the case of fairy lock, i don't see any advantage and I think it doesn't have any viability because it trap for only one turn, which is not engough to do many thing (but there is peraps some uses of this move, that I just dont know).

What kinds of moves pair well with trapping moves? What makes the trapping move worth running alongside those moves, rather than just not running said trapping move?

Moves that trap foes for some turn work well with moves that have switch as an answer, such as toxic, leech seed, stats lowering and perish song. It also works well with recovering moves since you have to stay on the terrain if you want to continu trapping the foe. Offencive Z moves are a gold option since you are sure that you don't use them on the wrong pokemon. Many poeple said that set up moves have a good synergy with that kind of trapping moves, but I don't agree because this works only if you trap a pokemon that can't hurt you, which doesn't happen often.
Trapping moves works better if the user has viable sets without trapping moves that make trapping moves a bit less predictible
Ingrain needs a set up move to be usefull. It works even better with moves that you can only use once, like z moves or white herb geomency.

PS: sorry for the deleted post, i missclicked on the post Button and hadn't the time to edit and finish it, so I just deleted it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)