CAP 3 CAP 3 - Part 3 (New Evolution/New Pokemon Discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay it’s been decided: Fire/Grass is this month’s pokemon type, but before we can get into all that style and build discussion we first have to answer this one question?

Is it going to be a new pokemon or an evolution of an existing pokemon?

Now Doug has been really insisting on us staying on the topic at hand and I agree with him but please don’t let Doug’s words be a deterrent towards discussions. We can still have enjoyable discussions while staying on topic. It's really not that hard =D. I assumed that discussion about this a poll ahead are okay to discussion also but try not to go overboard with it.

The pro and cons of both a new pokemon and a new evolution

Pro on New Pokemon:
  • We have more creativity freedom when it comes to movepool, abilities, appearance, etc…
  • It’s more fun making a brand new beast and won’t fill like we all show the outcome coming 5,000 miles away.
  • Less confusion to those that just jump on the server.
Cons on New Pokemon:
  • More work, more tedious discussions
  • Might turn out to be overpowering
  • People on the official Shoddy server will banish you to the far corner of the universe for even mentioning this on it.
Pros on New Evolution:
  • It would help make a crappy pre-existing pokemon not so crappy
  • To finally make you fantasies about a certain pokemon evo come real.
  • Less work and a faster process time
Cons on New Evolution:
  • A feeling of “Been there, done that” thrown into the finished work
  • Less creativity on things that made this project funny.
  • People having to adjust seeing this critter placed under or beside a pre-existing pokemon and took it an evo of it.
  • It has this fan boy feel to it.
Edit-Edit: Bold Poll again. Don't worry folks, two more bold polls and soon standard polls.

http://serebii.net/pokedex-dp/grass.shtml

That's a list of all the current grass Pokemon. Just looking at them, I say there really isn't a candidate on there that can show any part fire potential. The ones who could use it the most are;
Cherrim
Sunflora
Carnivine

But I really don't see possible evolutions of those incorporating blazing fire attacks. I say an all new species would be best.

An new species would be best.

Like GT said, it'd be more fun that way, and it wouldn't really fit into a pre-existing line with the exception of the above three.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'd like to see an evolution of an existing Pokemon for a change.

Sunflora evolution would do nicely.

generally speaking, i'm against creating evos of existing pokes, no matter how tempting it might be. and this is the most tempting of all, even more than ghost/fighting was, because that had ONE poke (banette) that deserved it, whereas this has several.

however, the restrictions are just not worth it. also, it keeps the process democratic this way. personally, i'm of the opinion that if we want to make an existing poke evo, we should design our own poke and if it's a close fit, we can adjust accordingly. think about all the unique things about revenankh that would have been lost if we made it a banette evo? certainly no ground flavors to it, no air lock, no to a lot of things.

NEW poke all the way.

New species. We don't need any new evo's, as these pokes currently have a tier. Besides, we could just base the art off whichever one we like the most. New species gives us the most possibilities.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Personally, I could swing for either one because I'm cool like that.

I'll withhold my vote for now.

Seeing as how people keep changing the convention for voting, I am rewriting my post to be unambiguous.

I vote for an entirely new pokemon unrelated to any existing pokemon by evolution.

New Species

Here's something to consider:

Hopefully these pokes will be able to survive a shift into the potential 5th generation. That's probably a long way off but it will happen eventually. If we make our Create-A-Pokemon evolutions of existing pokemon, they could be ruled out by official evolutions. If we make new evolutions we'll set ourselves up for some trouble a few years down the road.

That may be too far away to be a concern but it's still my thought on the matter.

Evolution of an existing Pokemon.

I still want a Sunflora evolution.

edit:
http://serebii.net/pokedex-dp/grass.shtml

That's a list of all the current grass Pokemon. Just looking at them, I say there really isn't a candidate on there that can show any part fire potential. The ones who could use it the most are;
Cherrim
Sunflora
Carnivine

But I really don't see possible evolutions of those incorporating blazing fire attacks. I say an all new species would be best.
Note that with the primary (first) type being Fire you should really be looking at the Fire types that need evolutions, although I still want a Sunflora evolution :pirate:

Evo of Pre-existing pokemon. Does ANYONE use Cherrim outside of double battles? Does anyone use Sunflora or Carnivine period? A Grass/Fire could pretty easily be an alt-evo of Cacnea (a cactus is more Grass/fire than grass/dark). Of course, I don't mind if we have a new pokemon, so long as it ain't a damn pumpkin.

There are several Pokemon that could evolve into this that I'd like to see re-invented into something new and actually useful.

I still want a Sunflora evolution.

edit:

Note that with the primary (first) type being Fire you should really be looking at the Fire types that need evolutions, although I still want a Sunflora evolution :pirate:
You could look at it that way. However, I think if you look at the list of current fire types to start off with, you will see that most of them are primarily fire monsters.
http://serebii.net/pokedex-dp/fire.shtml

Stuff like dragons/ducks/toads that live around mouths of volcanoes, there isn't much in that list that screams out it evolves into part grass, at least imo.
I also think that a lot of the grass Pokemon that need evolutions right now are primarily *plants*, and I don't think an actual plant like say cherrim or carnivine would be feasible to develop an aggressive fire type element. I still think it should be something completely new, either reptilian or mammal in concept.

Hm, I can't decide. I'm leaning towards a new pokémon, but the prospect of having a good Tangrowth or Sunflora evolution appeals me...

Anyway, pro-evolution supporters should take into account that the candidates to evolve have Grass as their primary type, and the result would probably end up as a Grass pokémon with some Fire on it, and not as a Fire pokémon with Grass. I'm personally not bothered with that (I consider both types equally as important), but some of you might think of this as an impediment.

EDIT: Eh, what Earthworms said, I didn't notice his edit:

I think the Pro-Evo supporters should take into account the fact that everything already has it's own tier status. If you like something, use it.

Keep in mind folks a few things

1. The main type is Fire, like what Earthworm said.
2. Main type tend to dictate a pokemon's appearance.
3. A Pokemon's secondary type tend to be subtle add-on in its appearance.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Evolution of an existing Pokemon
I honestly don't know why I've had a change of heart all of a sudden but Sunflora needs a little kick into competitive play if you ask me!

I think the Pro-Evo supporters should take into account the fact that everything already has it's own tier status. If you like something, use it.
Aki, you know there is no defined Never Used tier so even in Underused using Pokes like Carnivine and Sunflora is more of a hassle than anything

Everyone needs to remember that not only does a Evolution restrict our Moveset and Ability Options AND Base stat options, Everything is already sorted into Competitive play. Just because somthing's UU Dosen't mean that it dosen't exist. If you like something, use it.

I also think that this poll in particular is rather unnecessary. Why can't people just begin the concept ideas and art work instead of having to be restricted by evolution or new species? In the last CAP 2 project Banette's EVO was part of the polls as was plenty of other possible new species. I think that's a fine way to do it, and far less restrictive on those who do want to contribute for the concept and artistic designs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)