CAP Cries for Pokemon Showdown! (Plasmanta Cry added Oct 18, 2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
NOTE: Anyone can submit CAP Calls in this thread. Show us what you've got!
Approved by Birkal

Update! (Jun 1, 2014)

All cries have been digitally remastered, shortened to 2 seconds or less (with the exception of Necturna, which goes just over 2 seconds), and Revenankh, Aurumoth, and Malaconda have new cries entirely. All of them have also been converted to a compressed ogg format, so the quality is reduced a bit in exchange for making them more compact files for the sake of data storage and bandwidth. The new files can be heard with the same link below.

- Update as of Oct 18, 2014: Plasmanta cry has been added!

Hi there! I am a huge fan of the CAP project, I've observed many CAP battles, and there was one thing that I always knew was missing from the CAP Pokemon: cries. I have a sound program that I downloaded off the internet about 4 or 5 months ago, and I messed around with it until I understood how to use it to create original sound. I hope that you all like my idea and what I've created, and I hope these cries can be implemented on Pokemon Showdown for everyone worldwide to enjoy.

I put a lot of thought into making the cries somewhat suit the typing, abilities, and/or physical appearance of each CAP Pokemon. However, I am open to any and all suggestions on how these could be improved. I believe in perfection (I am very critical of even my own work) and I don't mind making revisions. So far I've only shared these with jas61292, Bloo, Redew, and Magistrum, and I let Birkal hear Volkraken.

You can hear all of them as well by clicking here! ^_^

Also, this is my big 1K post, so I have some shoutouts:

blarajan: The most high of the place I've grown to love and protect: Little Cup. And regardless of what anyone says, you do a damn good job of running it. You made me what I am in Little Cup and I know that I can always talk to you if I have ideas or concerns. You're the man. :)

bugmaniacbob: I am all about perfection, but you take it to a level I never imagined possible when it comes to GP work. Working with you in The Smog has taught me great things about writing and really inspired me to step up my game. You are incredible and sure to inspire others as well. :)

Bummer: God of Art, no question. I always enjoy working with you not only for your artistic ability, but also your insight in regards to written work. I would have been lost many times in my Smog projects had you not been there to guide me with your great judgment. You're amazing. :)

Electrolyte: I would have never even considered joining Smogon without your guidance, and I would have never been comfortable getting started in Little Cup without you right there to help me. You also understand my feelings about Showdown staff more than anyone. I am eternally grateful for you. :)

Flora: You make working in The Smog's Article Workshop worthwhile. Your enthusiastic approach to everything and your impeccable GP work always cheers me up and really helps me maintain a positive attitude even when I am not in the best mood. Thank you for being you. :)

Haunter: You offered me priceless advice during my entire climb from regular user to Moderator on PS, as well as from unbadged to having a scrolling badgeset on Smogon. You are always someone I can go to for help when I need it in either area, and I am truly grateful for all the ways you have helped me. ♥

Heysup: You didn't come back to Little Cup until I had already settled in and started picking up momentum, so you only know me as the hard-worker I am now (I wasn't always this way haha ;;). Anyway, you are the go-to person in Little Cup regarding everything one could possibly need help with, be it information, teambuilding, resources, battle tactics, you have it all, and it even dates back to DPP LC. You have been tremendously helpful to me countless times, and I hope to one day measure up to how resourceful you have been and continue to be to what is my favorite part of Smogon. ♥

Jelandee: We don't talk much anymore, but I will never forget how much you helped me in the past when I had problems with a few things. You were always the best person to vent to, and you helped me understand better ways to look at things. Thanks so much. :)

jumpluff: You are my biggest role model on Smogon, period. I sometimes literally wish I could be you. A handful of people have compared me to you lately, and while I know that I will never be able to fill your shoes, I want to be as much like you as I can be. Comparing me to you is probably the highest compliment a Smogoner could give me, like omfg. ♥

Magistrum: You are probably the most creative friend I've ever had on the entire internet in my whole life. We can talk about Pokemon, art, music, design, ANYTHING, and our minds are almost totally in-sync with each other. I've gotten more sparks of inspiration while talking with you than I've ever gotten anywhere else. You alone remind me of how wonderful and amazing the imagination is. I love you. :)

MattL: You are by far the best writing partner I've ever had for articles in The Smog. We work together very well and you always make me feel at ease. I am also very fond of your policy ideals within Showdown staff; I think you would make a fine Leader there in the future. :)

Oglemi: It seems like just the other day that you nominated me for Pre-Contributor badge and then blarajan came in like "nah fuck that, we're giving her CC". Thank you so much for believing in me and being supportive of me. I would not be the contributor to Smogon I am today without you. :)

Osiris: You were my best friend here from Day 1, and you know me better than anyone else here. We both had a goal of being Moderators on Showdown, though all these other badges and duties I picked up along the way were not part of the original plan (lol). From the bottom of my heart, thank you for always being there for me when I needed you. I fucking love you to death and I'd fight somebody over you. ♥

Ray Jay: I would not be a C&C mod or a member of the Site Staff had it not been for all the things you taught me right before you took your leave. You are brilliant in many ways and I hope that one day I can represent Little Cup as well as you, blarajan, and other contributors have. Thanks for everything. :)

Redew: You are overall the most helpful person I've met on Smogon and you are also almost solely responsible for my initial interest in the Smogon Mentorship Program. Helping others feels amazing and I owe you the world for making me realize that to the extent that I have. I can always come to you for help with just about anything Smogon-related, and I appreciate your friendship as well. You're the best. ^_^

Rohail: "Briyella, you should join GP!!! ^.^" "Briyella, you should join GP!!! ^.^" Well, lol guess who's on the GP team now. In addition to bugmaniacbob, Flora, Redew, and others, you inspired me greatly and made me eventually join the ranks of you brilliant grammar checkers. I hope my attention to detail will make me as good as you. Your enthusiasm always gives me a boost too. Thanks so much for your support. :)

The Immortal: Despite you being by far the most mysterious staff member on Showdown, I honestly trust you more than pretty much anyone else there, for reasons I won't say publicly. Thank you for trusting me in return. You are like the only person I can talk with about highly confidential stuff without worrying about bullshit happening. Thank you. :)

V4Victini: I know it happened a looooong time ago, but looking back at the logs, I still have no idea how or why you put up with an angry Goddess Briyella so well. I know I've made amends for this already and this is a somewhat embarrassing memory for me, but wow. You make me feel better even when I have surpassed my breaking point, and I don't think anyone can do that. Thanks for helping me relax when I needed it the most. :)

Vacate: You taught me HTML in a very short time, which still blows my mind. In addition to that, you're one of the most dedicated and diligent users I have ever seen, in many environments, which further inspires me be a better contributor. I am glad that we can talk about Showdown policy and see eye-to-eye on many things regarding it. You are a good friend to me and I know I can always trust your judgment if I need insight on anything. :)

Last edited:
Volkraken's cry is scary. o3o
Thank you ♥ Briyella ♥ for tagging me on your Best Friends on Smogon list. ♥
Sorry for not being active too much. :/

V4Victini

再起不能
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnus
Keep up the good work and congrats on your 1K ;p;

Now about the cries
  • Syclant's was great
  • Uneasy about having actual instruments in a Pokemon's sound, as is the case for a few of them.
  • Stratagem's works (I pictured it higher-pitched but that's purely subjective)
  • Necturna and Pyroak's are good.
And that's all I listened to for now -3-. I didn't listen to the prevos. Only real issue is with how busy the ones with instruments in the beginning sound like Revenankh and Tomohawk.

Last edited:

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You have a good idea but the majority of the sounds you have feel more like a movie effect or leitmotif. Echoes aren't helping (sounds like audacity bouncing ball effect), clapping or instruments should also be avoided, along with most incidental noise if you are going for accuracy. While I have no idea the process made to create the Pokemon sound effects I would have to say that Pyroak is your best. It's distinct and quick, makes its presence known.

Along with the ehco comment some of your sounds just naturally fade. As I have all of the XY cries on file most of them register at under 1 second. From a glance only one goes to 2. This is rather practical for replays because turns go by in seconds there.

If these are audacity I might be able to assist as I'm rather good with the program, it would be interesting to get CAP sounds.

Last edited:
I really like the idea of CAP cries, but how about if Cawmodore used an alternate version of Honchkrow's cry? A lot of official Pokemon tend to share cries, especially those from the first two generations.

Rotosect

Banned deucer.
I agree with Layell; many of them have so much "music" to the point they sound like ringtones to be honest.
You should try to make them sound more "pokemon-y" (for lack of a better term).

Wow.... some of these are VERY VERY good. I really love and would fully support this idea. Agreeing with others though, some are a bit too musical. Necturna's in particular comes promptly to mind as not sounding very pokemon-y.

Aaron's Aron

A concussion update in my info tab
I think this is a great idea. I have always felt that the lack of cries was disappointing too, so to see some get implemented would be really awesome. I do not know how to help you though... sorry :(

And congratulations on reaching 1,000 posts! Thank you as well for including me in your best friends list. I greatly appreciate it :)

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I really like all of Flarelm, Krilowatt, Pyroak, Scratchet, Syclar, Cupra, Cawdet, and Brattler. These are probably some of the less-echoing/instrumental sounding ones. Breezi's cry sounded amazing, but I didn't imagine the cry to be so bird-like. A few of your others could have been made better simply by shortening them, as well. Overall, great job and I'm very impressed with all of the hard work you put into this!

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
Hi, thanks for the feedback so far. :)

To address a few things:

Long Cries

I understand that the vast majority of cries are short, but these are not foreign to Pokemon and I don't think they should be ruled out entirely; see Exeggutor, Hypno, Jynx, Steelix, Milotic, Wailord, Kricketune, Klinklang, Aurorus, to name a few.

Echo/Fade Out Cries

These are not foreign to Pokemon either; see Clamperl, Milotic, Wailord, Metagross, Regice, Empoleon, Lumineon, Froslass. There are others but this should give you a general idea.

Cries With Music-Like Effects

Cloyster's cry is a horn fanfare. Parasect, Starmie, and Mewtwo have cries that are arpeggiated synthesizer sounds. Togepi and Deoxys have cries that are of piano keys with slight distortion. Chingling's cry contains a jingle bell and Chimecho's cry is literally a chime. Kricketot's cry is descending high notes on a xylophone, marimba, or similar instrument. And then there's Meloetta.

^ Most of these sounds are not even relevant to the Pokemon. However, I added an Egyptian sitar to Revenankh's cry because it is based on a mummy and this instrument was very popular in ancient Egypt when mummifications were taking place, and so the two are often correlated. The sound of the shaker + drumroll in Malaconda's cry is used to imitate a snake rattle, but you couldn't expect it to sound exactly the same because it has an apple hanging from its tail. I think the music-like effects I used for these cries are much more relevant to the Pokemon than the ones that already exist.

These are things I already considered before even working on the cries. :)

Krillowatt, Necturna and Breezi were my favourite ones...
- For malaconda... i didnt seem to really like the gong... the sound effect isnt that characteristic of a snake.

In general i think that removing the fading away parts would be better... other than that the cries are AWESOME!!!~ <3

Crestfall

levitate, levitate, levitate, levitate
Not sure what exactly it is, but the Volkraken cry has some strange background sounds/too much echo in my opinion. I only listened through Revenankh and will come back and edit my post later with other reviews.

I really like the quality of all of these sounds, but a few seem out of place. My personal thought is that the pokemon's cry is meant to emulate the sounds coming out of a pokemon's mouth, rather than an introductory fanfare. Some of yours are great, like Stratagem, Syclant, Syclar, and even Brattler. Others had a lot of potential, but had too many effects that threw it off, like Malaconda, Scratchet, and Revenankh. I think if you focused more on the sounds coming out of the pokemon's mouth (Brattler can be excluded, Malaconda should hiss though) you aill be golden. Again, good job with these. Thank you for stepping up and really adding some liveliness to our creations! These are long overdo!

Sapphire.

Es gibt Licht, wo immer Sie sind
is a Contributor Alumnus
My favorite cry is Necturna and Necturine! They sound really cool. ^.^
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Good job, Briyella! You put a lot of work into these. :)

Astara

no u
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Most of them are pretty good, the ones that I liked most were: volkraken, pyroak, krilowatt, flarlem, cupra, and colossoil, the rest are also great but they need a little bit of work, some of the cries can be improved by speeding up the audio a little and shortening the sped up one's tempo but all in all I like em :D

I dunno if its just me but Cupra's cry sounds like it was based from Fletchling. I also like Mollux's, Cawmodore's & Krillowatt's cry. Man these cries sound awesome, all of them.

These cries are really nice Bri-Bri~~ I especially like Aurumoth's cry, Necturna's cry, Kitsunoh's cry, Mollux's and Stratagem's cry. I have to admit, though, while I don't mind the echoes that much, there are quite a lot of echoing cries you have there.... But all of them are pretty good regardless. Nice Job. ^-^

Toast++

Nexus is literally the worst.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Log for reference:

19:45:22 <Toast|Away> and I did notice the "too musical" thing
19:45:24 <Briyella|work> haha
19:45:31 <Briyella|work> i kind of explained that
19:45:34 <Toast|Away> but I think it's that your quality is actually too high
19:45:34 <Briyella|work> in a post underneath
19:45:39 <Briyella|work> perhaps
19:45:45 <Briyella|work> but why would that be an issue haha
19:45:46 <Briyella|work> :)
19:45:56 <Toast|Away> a lot of times to conserve resources they'll compress things
19:46:03 <Briyella|work> hmm
19:46:06 <Toast|Away> until it sounds electronic and scratchy
19:46:31 <Toast|Away> that's what they meant by them being not as pokemon-y or whatever they said
19:46:56 <Toast|Away> I'm just curious what would happen if you lowered quality until it started to get a little distorted
19:47:57 <Briyella|work> i see
19:48:15 <Briyella|work> yea those are in wav format and crystal clear
19:48:17 <Briyella|work> mixed and mastered
19:48:27 <Briyella|work> i'll see what i can do
19:48:39 <Briyella|work> another concern that i thought of now that you put it that way is
19:48:51 <Briyella|work> i don't want the files to take up too much space
19:48:57 <Briyella|work> so that Zarel wouldn't want them implemented
19:50:31 <Toast|Away> yeah, bandwidth does cost an obscene amount of money
19:50:39 <Toast|Away> gimme a sec here..
19:51:08 <Toast|Away> http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18231634/Temp/comparison.PNG
19:51:29 <Toast|Away> I grabbed a couple of files for you to see
19:51:49 <Toast|Away> they're about the same length but you'll notice the size difference is huge
19:52:14 <Toast|Away> I *think* they might be using higher quality for 3DS
19:52:25 <Toast|Away> and I know they're using aac audio for pokemon cries
19:53:15 <Toast|Away> on the 3ds that is, I think they used ogg before
19:55:13 <Toast|Away> on the positive side, I do think they're creative and I'd believe them as cries if they weren't too good.

Also meant to note that most pokemon with cries that have the undistorted musical instruments in them are music-based themselves.

CrushinDefeat

Defeat me if you can... Survive if I let you!
I gotta say these were all amazing in their own individual right. There were a lot of great cries heard. Volkraken's was great to hear, I thought the echo effect was really clever. Out of all the cries I had to say the cries with music like effects were a great touch as well, Tomohawk, Revenankh were great to hear as well. I loved Revenankhs, it had a sort of I guess Egyptian flare to it(if that makes sense). Syclant was great as well, loved the chimes in the cry it worked really well, and fits it perfectly. Also, Fidgits alternative cry was very creative. The hand clap was what really got me, because thats something that a Pokemon like Fidgit would do (with its multiple arms and hands). Im going to re-listen to them again to get more of a feel. From what I've listened to they were very creative, I liked that each cry had something unique about them( Yes, they're cry's they're different) and I would like to hear more future CAP Cries :)

Osiris

Glasses Jacket Shirt Man
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
These are incredible!! I'm mad that I am just finding out about this now but that's ok. Mollux's (even though I can't stand it) and Necturna's are probably my favorite. Strategem's and Revenankh's (alt) give me chills. I hope we can hear these on PS!

Am I the only one who thinks Cyclohm's is basically perfect for its design? Whoa.
On top of that, I think you totally nailed Sylcar, Syclant, Strategem, Pyroak, Krillowatt, Fidget's first, Flarelm, Embirch, and Brattler, plus Mollux and Necturna if theirs were about a second shorter. The others are great and would probably be perfect if it weren't for a sound or two that were mixed in, notably the percussion sounds in Tomahawk, Malaconda, and I think Colossoil.

The only two that I'm totally not a fan of are Arghonaut's and Voodoom's. They sound way different from what they look like imo. Arghonaut's seems like it'd be more fitting for a Psychic or Ghost instead of a Fighting pirate, and Voodoom's cry is way more fitting for a Grass-type instead of a voodoo doll. Toast mentioned that the cries should be more distorted, I think these two should be some of the more distorted voices.

Might not mean much coming from someone who doesn't really contribute or play too much but ehh, I thought I'd give my two cents. Fantastic job overall, I enjoyed hearing them. ^^

I like the cries a lot!

My only issue is that Nectura's is so long - given that the longest cry in Gen V was 2.235 seconds, 7 seconds is far over that limit. It might be due to the echo, but I'm not sure.

I personally think that they're much too instrumental, as no pokemon has an instrumental cry. Of course we could change the rule, but if we're doing this for flavour, I think we could make them seem a bit more like ream pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)