Tournament CAP Metagame Forum Tournament Queue and Tournament Approval Thread

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Current Tournaments (Sign Ups, Ongoing, Finals): None :psysad:

Awaiting Tournaments: Sword and Shield Holiday Bash

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
So I'm going to go ahead and make this thread because I've had a much larger number of people asking me to host CAP tournaments than ever before in this past and I hope this thread will help organize the process and help it operate much more smoothly. This thread from here on out will be the place for people to request to host CAP metagame tournaments, and the top of the OP will show the known tournament schedule of approved CAP metagame tours.

You are only allowed to request a tournament if you yourself will be one of the hosts or co-hosts. This is NOT the place to post tournament ideas for other people to host. You may comment on and offer minor suggestions for tournament ideas that other people have submitted, but do not seek to have an in-depth discussion about a specific tournament here. On the other hand, make sure any comments that you do post are constructive and add something. "I like this idea" as an entire post and similar one-liners will be deleted and multiple offenses will be infracted. You are NOT allowed to volunteer to host for CAPTT here. CAPTT is the CAP metagame's most official team tournament and will be planned out by the mods/captains through private means outside of this thread.

In order to have a tournament approved to be hosted, the following information must be provided, preferably following the template below:

Tournament Name: The name of your tournament

Tournament Host(s): Your name plus the name of any co-hosts. Any co-hosts must be tagged in this line and they must like the application post so that I know they are committed to be co-hosts.

Tournament Time Frame: The time in which you want the tournament to run AND the length of each round. You do not need to have an exact end date if you want to have the end of the tournament be flexible, but you must have a concrete date for sign ups, a concrete date for the start of round 1, and an estimated end date. I will actively avoid letting there be multiple tournaments scheduled at the exact same time, but I will allow for small overlaps, especially during the sign up phases.

Host experience: Do you have experience in hosting tournaments of any nature? If so, please provide links to examples. If you do not have hosting experience, what other smogon/CAP experience do you have that you think helps prove you would be a reliable host?

Tournament Description: Provide a general description for your tournament that includes:

Tournament Style: Is the tournament Round Robin, Elimination (single, double, etc), partner/team based?​
Tournament Banlist: Does the tournament follow the current CAP metagame banlist? If not, what are the additions/subtractions to the ruleset.​
Tournament Justification: What do you hope the tournament to accomplish? Why do you think it would be a tournament that people will be interested in signing up for?​

Last edited by a moderator:
Tournament Name: CAP Generation 7 Kickoff Tournament

Tournament Hosts: Primarily myself, although Bionic Puppy has agreed to help me with technicalities and provide advice if I need it.

Tournament Time Frame: Sign ups would start on Sunday 8th of January, during the final week of the Generation 6 Farewell CAP Tournament which Bionic Puppy is also running. If that tournament ends up carrying on for longer I would start sign ups in its final week, although I do not anticipate it to do so. Sign ups would close and Week One would start a week later on Sunday 15th of January and from then on each round would last one week. I estimate that the tournament would take four or five weeks depending on the amount of sign ups; I am reluctant to set a concrete end date for this reason.

Host experience: Probably the most difficult part to answer, I have to say that I am unfortunately lacking in previous hosting experience. Despite this, my partner in this tournament, Bionic Puppy, has run tournaments before (for example here) and will therefore be able to capably advise me should the situation arise. Although I have not hosted any tournaments, I have participated in a few and I'm therefore familiar in the way that they are run and conducted. You can also see from these tournaments (here and here) that I have never missed a deadline. I know this evidence isn't much to support that fact, but I can't stress enough how much I am committed to keeping to the weekly deadlines so that the whole thing runs smoothly and without fuss.

Tournament Description: This would be a single elimination tournament with best of three sets so that it doesn't take too long and delay any further tournaments that do not wish to run simultaneously. It is also a simple structure that doesn't require too much dedication or extended diligent participation. If the Finals transpired the have an odd number of participants (through byes for example) it would be a round robin format in which all three players play each other during the week of time allocated.
The banlist of the tournament would follow the Gen 7 CAP Metagame banlist, which is effectively the Gen 7 Pokebank OU banlist. If OU were to ban something during the span of the tournament, the ban would take effect from the round after it was announced.
I hope that this tournament would act as an outlet for people's first impressions of the Gen 7 CAP Metagame and also allow them to showcase their new discoveries. I'd also like to think that it would help to bridge the gap in interest in the CAP Metagame between the advent of Gen 7 and the beginning of the CAP 23 project. I believe that people would be interested in signing up for this tournament for the very reason that I stated - it allows them to vent their discoveries of this new Meta. In addition, this would be the first official competition using the Gen 7 CAP Metagame, something that would surely draw in participants.
In conclusion, I believe that this tournament would be a great, user friendly and easy to manage way to showcase, explore and have fun with the unknown that is a new generation of CAP.

Last edited:
Tournament Name: Cyclohm Cup

Tournament Host: me

Tournament Time Frame: One week sign up period, one week rounds, tour should probably last about a month. It's tough to give concrete start/end dates at this point, but I think it'd be smart to overlap the sign up period with the end of the Gen 7 kickoff tour. So, February-ish?

Host experience: Hosted CAP's circuit tour back in Gen 6. Heavy involvement with CAPTT. Will provide links if needed.

Tournament Description: Based on Nugget Bridge's Dodrio Cup and OU's Hydreigon Cup. Except this is CAP, so our own three-headed dragon is the mascot!

Players sign up and compete in teams of three. They may also sign up as a free agent if they wish, and the free agents will be randomly grouped together to form teams of three. Each round, the teams will face off head-to-head, like so:

Example Team A vs Example Team B
APlayer1 vs BPlayer1
APlayer2 vs BPlayer2
APlayer3 vs BPlayer3

Single Elimination, so the team that wins two or three matchups advances, and the other team is eliminated. The format is standard Gen 7 CAP, with one twist: your team can't use the same Pokémon more than once per round (basically Species Clause, but it applies to the whole team). So if APlayer1 uses Kerfluffle in their battle, APlayer2 and APlayer3 may not use Kerfluffle in their battles. This rule applies to Pokemon that share the same Pokedex number (Rotom formes, Alolan formes, etc).

The tour promotes teamwork and creativity. I enjoyed playing in the OU version of this tour, and I think it'd be fun if we did this in CAP!

Drapionswing

Eating it up, YUMMY!
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Tournament Name: CapLT (Cap Ladder Tour)

Tournament Host(s):
Me

Tournament Time Frame: January 8th - Mid February (Signups starting January 1st giving people a week)

Host experience: Unfortunately I do not have any previous hosting experience, however I do feel like I will be capable of hosting this Ladder Tour because I dedicate a considerable amount of time to cap, showing I can reliably stay dedicated to this thread, I paticipate in metagame related threads and our most recent cap process, Kerfluffle.

Tournament Description:This is a CAP Ladder Tour where people are challenged to ladder as high as possible, on an alt, within an allotted time of 10 days. Within the 10 days you have to get into the top 50% of elo. For example if there are 20 participants the top 10 people with the highest elo will be allowed to continue onto the second round. Upon reaching the last four people they will be randomly selected to battle in a bo3 to decide the winner of the tournament. I decided to give people 10 days to ladder so that people with less time on their hands can compete with others. Hopefully this tour will encourage more people to ladder with a competitive spirit allowing our ladder to have higher quality battles.

emma

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion
Tournament Name: CapLT (Cap Ladder Tour)
Tournament Host(s): Me

Tournament Time Frame: January 8th - Mid February (Signups starting January 1st giving people a week)

Host experience: Unfortunately I do not have any previous hosting experience, however I do feel like I will be capable of hosting this Ladder Tour because I dedicate a considerable amount of time to cap, showing I can reliably stay dedicated to this thread, I paticipate in metagame related threads and our most recent cap process, Kerfluffle.

Tournament Description:This is a CAP Ladder Tour where people are challenged to ladder as high as possible, on an alt, within an allotted time of 10 days. Within the 10 days you have to get into the top 50% of elo. For example if there are 20 participants the top 10 people with the highest elo will be allowed to continue onto the second round. Upon reaching the last four people they will be randomly selected to battle in a bo3 to decide the winner of the tournament. I decided to give people 10 days to ladder so that people with less time on their hands can compete with others. Hopefully this tour will encourage more people to ladder with a competitive spirit allowing our ladder to have higher quality battles.
Hey, I've participated in multiple ladder tours in the past and this one seems quite different (especially the "randomly selected"). Usually, there are a certain amount of weeks (usually 4, but I think CAP can only handle 2) where people register fresh alts and being to ladder. Then, the Top 4 users on the ladder with the tag (CAPLT1 for instance) will make it into playoffs. After the X amount of weeks (let's go for 2 for now) the top 4(x) players will complete in a single elimination Best of 3 tour. Since we are using 8 people the format will go by this (#s decided by elo, if tie, gxe)...

1 v 8
2 v 7
3 v 6
4 v 5

...And then so on until we have a champion. I think this will be a better option considering that it has worked in the past and has no "random selections". I will be happy to Co-Host will you, considering I've competed in the past, am authority on PS!, and host my own project, even if we decided to keep the original formatting to make sure things run smoothly :)

Edit: If we were to switch to this, the timeframe would have to be adjusted. Thinking Week 1 be after the kickoff tour / cyclohm cup so maybe March, or we could wait until April. Week 1 would start on a Sunday at Midnight and end Saturday at 11:59 PM. During this time you can register alts in the thread with the tag (for example, CAPLT1 for Week 1, CAPLT2 for Week 2) and ladder. At 11:59, a screenshot of the ladder will be taken and the top 4 users will qualify. Same goes for Week 2. Week 3 will be 1 v 8, 2 v 7, etc. Week 4 will be highest seed remaining v lowest seed remaining, and then the two middle seeds. Week 5 will be semifinals, and Week 6 will be finals. This can be shortened (2 rounds of playoffs in one week) to make sure this doesn't drag on too long.

Once again I would like to host or at least co-host with Drapionswing

Last edited:

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Tournament Name: Spring Seasonal / other seasonals
Tournament Host(s): Me and maybe Drapionswing because why not

Tournament Time Frame: Mid March ---> Dependent on participants

Host experience: Never hosted a tournament online but bracketed for local smash tours if that counts

Tournament Description: Much like other seasonals there will be four of these tournaments. After 4 seasonals the top 16 with the highest amount of accumulated points be able play in "champions cup" tournament that will able to showcase high level CAP matches

Tournament Style: Double Elimination, BO3
Tournament Banlist: Standard CAP Ruleset
Tournament Justification: Give a competition much like Smogtours to help newer players get noticed when it comes around to CAPTT or whatever else we have. Also helps to get some quality replays, high level matches, and metagame development.

Note: I assume if you approve this then I will be able to do these for summer, etc. I'll make sure to come back and get approval for when those come around and such so don't worry about me posting a random seasonal tournament without approval.

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I'm approving Take Azelfie and Drapionswing to host the spring seasonal, however I am not approving them to host for other seasons and they will have to ask again when the time comes. In general I don't like the idea of giving someone the power to run a year long event from the get go simply because a lot can happen in a year.

Tournament Name: CAP First Blood Tournament
Tournament Host(s): Marjane

Tournament Time Frame: March 24 -- Dependant but should be less than a month

Host experience: I personally don't have any experience on online tournaments but I think I might be able to pull this off well. I would say that I'm very capable and determined on hosting one, I have been very dedicated to cap since day one which means that I have a sufficient knowledge on how cap works.

Tournament Description:
Basically a regular tournament only difference is that games are decided when one Pokemon from either team faints.

Tournament Style: Bo3, Single Elimination
Tournament Banlist: Standard CAP Ruleset
Tournament Justification: It would be cap's first first blood tournament which brings new things to players, a lot of mind games are expected for this tournament, diverse team building as you'll need a team that can counter cap's biggest threats and overall fun

Last edited:
Tournament Name: CupdateMons (get it? CAP? Update?)

Tournament Host(s): Myself. Snorlax in the way is also co-hosting.

Tournament Time Frame: 4 Weeks for full tourney length. Each round will take around a week. Signups would begin on the first Saturday in April, and would end when 20 people sign up, or within a week. When signups end, I will make a new thread to start the drafting process. Everyone will pick one Pokemon in the order they signed up. When they pick, the next person picks theirs, and so on. The draft ends when everyone has eight Pokemon. Battling will start the Saturday after the draft ends. The tourney will likely end at the end of April, going into early to mid-May.

Host experience: I unfortunately have none, but I have been contributing to Pet Mods and CAP Update Discussions, and have participated in live tournaments before (and by that I mean the random tourneys that pop up on the CAP chat on Showdown).

Tournament Style: Single elimination.

Tournament Banlist: Current CAP banlist + Illusion Aurumoth (is being removed and is OP), Water Veil Navaithan (being removed), Earth Power Hawk + Reflect Hawk (being removed), Marshadow (unreleased) NOTE: Any new ability or move given to a CAP is legal to that Pokémon in the Tourney. What these are is determined by what has been decided by the time drafting rolls around.

Tournament Justification: I hope that this tourney gives everyone a glimpse on how the metagame will change with all of the updates doing. It will also give ULs some insight as to how the updates shape the metagame. I think people will sign up because it will be their first real chance to try out the new updates and see how CAP will be changing in many ways.

Last edited:

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Tournament Name: Little CAP (hopefully someone gets the play on words :x)

Tournament Host(s): Myself and KrazyCake

Tournament Time Frame: I would say sign-ups would start around April 10th, with the first round following either on April 12th or if we hit 32 players first. I would expect 4 (maybe more if we get more than 32 players) rounds so the finals should be about a month after the sign-ups.

Host experience: While I haven't hosted a CAP tournament (in fact I am still pretty new to CAP), I have hosted before. I hosted a tournament based on my wildly successful ORAS UU Matchmaking thread here. Other than that, I am sort of new to hosting, which is why I feel having a co-host who is an avid CAP player in KrazyCake :)

Tournament Description: The tournament will be a single elimination, LC-based metagame (which means it follows LC's banlist). The tournament's goal is to build hype and give recognition to the newly-introduced CAP LC mons and how they fit into the current LC metagame.

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
I'm rejecting Cupdate mons because CAP updates aren't done yet and the rules state that new abilities etc should be legal but we cannot implement this fairly at this time (for example, in order to use Misty Surge Arghonaut, we'd have to use custom game, and custom game lets people cheat with extra EVs and extra moves.)

I'm approving LittleCAP and I hope that by the time sign ups are done CAPLC is actually fully implemented.

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
Tournament Name: CAP Crazy Roulette

Tournament Host(s): Myself

Tournament Time Frame: Sign-ups would occur around May 6, ending either after hitting 32 players or 48 hours after sign-ups start. 4-5 rounds (based on participants) lasting about a week each, so finals should occur approximately a month after sign-ups began. Overall, the tour would last from May 6 to early June.

Host experience: I currently have no hosting experience, but I am a fairly active member of the community, currently participating in the CAP Update Process and am looking to help in creating the remaining Gen 4 Prevos. I have good metagame knowledge to boot, and am overall a very dedicated CAP member, which I believe makes me capable of hosting this tournament.

Tournament Description: At the beginning of each round, 3 of the 30 most used Pokemon in the CAP Metagame are randomly selected. These Pokemon cannot be used in the round they were selected in. After the round ends, these Pokemon can be used for the remaining rounds, as they will not be inserted back into the roulette. Instead, the three lowest after the previous 30 are added to the roulette, and the cycle restarts for each round. Other than that, it functions like a regular tournament.
Tournament Style: Bo3, Single Elimination
Tournament Banlist: Standard CAP Ruleset (if a Pokemon that is in the roulette is banned during the tour, it will be replaced)
Tournament Justification: With major changes coming to a large number of CAPs through CAP Updates, this tour aims to promote alternative Pokemon and strategies that will help contribute to more interesting teams and sets, especially when the Updates are implemented.

BP

Beers and Steers
is a Contributor to Smogon
Tournement Name: Every Dog Has its Day

Tournement Host: Me

Tournement Time Frame: As Soon as possible. I'm really excited

Host Experience: I've Hosted an RU tournament and I've also helped Co Host an annual IRL Wrestling tournament if that counts. If you need links to Track Wrestling or my RU thread just let me know. I have read the Tournament Rules and Guidelines to completion. I don't plan on Participating in this tournament so I'll be able to handle matchmaking and Activity calls. I'm fairly certain I can run this tournament with ease. Unless of course like 200 people join.

Tournament Description: A normal Gen 7 CAP Tournament Except: All Pokemon are set to lv. 80 and each round a handful of pokemon on the VR ranked C or below are buffed up a certain number of levels. I have a randomizer tool on my laptop and I have put all the mons C and below on it. Each round 5 or 6 will be randomly chosen and buffed probably to lv. 90 at most. After they are chosen they are removed from the list and cannot be buffed again.

Tournament style: BO3 Single Elim
Banlist: Standard CAP Ruleset
Tournament Justification: Why not imo. It'll be some fun

Last edited:

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
I discussed this with Broken Phobias earlier, but the above tournament worries me insofar as it buffs certain mons arbitrarily based on the host's discretion. If the levels were buffed by some sort of community consensus and properly announced before the tour's first round, then I would have no problem with this.

I'm also somewhat worried about approving a tour meant to be slated after CAPTT, which realistically means that this wouldn't start until sometime in the fall... It seems weird to approve something so far in advance.

Tournament Name: CAP OM Entourage

Tournament Hosts: Myself. LucarioOfLegends can too, if he is up for it.

Tournament Time Frame: Signups would start on either Memorial Day or June 1st, depending on when this is approved (if it is). I would take between 10-40 people. The exact number would be decided when I see the pace of signups. Signups would end either when I reach the ceiling (Which is 10-40) or in two weeks. The day after signups end, Round 1 would start. Each round would last a week. The tourney itself would likely last between 2 weeks (10 people) and 5 weeks (40 people).

Host experience: Yeah... I don't really have any. I tried to submit a Rainbow League III recently, but I got rejected. However, I have participated in multiple tourneys (MnM Stones Unleashed, F**K Z-Moves), and was on time for both of those tourneys. I want to also say I have a lot of free time usually, so I would easily be able to keep the tourney rolling.

Tournament Description: Single elimination, Bo5, with rotating formats each match. The five OMs being featured are BH, Mix and Mega, AAA, Sketchmons, Monotype, and STABMons. Both players must agree to which format they will play in each match, and formats cannot be repeated. The banlist will be each OM's individual banlist, but CAPs are allowed (and yes, Crucibellite is allowed for MnM!). I will also will be open to hearing the case for certain things being banned in each round if it is too broken (like hypothetically, Crucibellite). Only released stones in MnM.

I honestly realized CAP does not delve into OMs with the exception of Monotype. I wanted to experiment with these cool OMs and see how CAPs would interact with them. Also, many people might want to try out this rare chance to use CAPs in some of their favorite OMs. They shake a lot of things up in each individual OM. For example, Mountaineer Volcarona might be good in AAA, or Psystrike Aurumoth in STABMons, and so much more! It seems like a lot of fun to me, and I hope I get a chance to bring the boys back to town!

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
I'd be up to cohosting once I finish up with CAP Crazy Roulette. I'm not sure how these OMs would be emulated though, since the only possible way would be through Custom Games. And as HeaL mentioned, custom games are shady business. If we decided to focus on either Monotype, which go well with people cause of CAPTT, or STABmons it would be far easier to manage, as both can be played in the usual CAP metagame format.

Edit: Thought that STABmons was something else, and actually cannot be played within the metagame. Only Monotype is possible.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)