Cardgame Thread (guilds of ravnica mechanics spoiled!)

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
WELCOME TO THE CCG THREAD!

This is a general thread in which we can discuss Collectible Card Games (CCG). CCGs are usually physically purchased and traded in the real world, although there are plenty of CCGs that are played and dealt with virtually (such as Duelyst or Faeria or Hearthstone). Games like MtG and Pokemon TCG even have online simulators where you can test your skill against opponents online.

___________________________________​

I figured since we didn't have an actual thread devoted to any CCGs or Card Games in general other than the Hearthstone thread and the Yu-Gi-Oh! thread that it would be worth putting together a meta-thread regarding CCGs, whether it is discussion about particular Card Games or just card game mechanics as a whole (shared or not shared).

I currently am vested in collecting and building a few Future Card Buddyfight decks (I own 4 different decks each with their own interesting archetype). I really find the game highly enjoyable with less risk than MtG as there is no such thing as getting "mana-screwed" and there is a very balanced formula as far as how cards and overall game-balance are managed. Of course there are a few strategies that can be abused, they often require tedious set-up and there are many ways of countering these strategies with a mere few changes in sideboard.

I also enjoy dabbling in MtG, as well as a few other CCGs/Card Games, such as Boss Monster, which I love playing in groups, and Deck Building Games (I own a copy of the Crossover Crisis Cartoon Network Deckbuilding game which is a highly amusing party game).

What CCGs/Cardgames do you play?

I played MTG for a long time (since Odyssey) but moving around and being in shitty communities has made me skip the last couple blocks. I mostly draft (and kill at it) but I love constructed formats when they're not ruined by overly expensive and boring cards. Now that I'm old enough to work a decent paying job I may get back into the swing.

Has anyone on here played Netrunner? A friend of mine recommended it to me but I'm curious about the experiences of people here.

I'm not playing any ccgs atm, although it's definitely a genre I enjoy, given its similarities to pokemon. I might get into Duelyst soon, idk it depends on what its free to play system is like.

One game I have played a reasonable amount of is a game called Mabinogi Duel. It presents a really cool twist on the typical ccg formula as your deck consists of like a dozen cards or so but you have access to all of it immediately. The free to play model is also pretty decent imo, like it's possible to get good stuff for free, although obviously the incentive is to spend. However I stopped playing it because it felt like every other game I played I ran into some bullshit gimmick strategy which was hard to stop and overall I felt like what I did didn't matter. It's like if you played pokemon and half your matches were against baton pass teams

Acklow

I'm not playing any ccgs atm, although it's definitely a genre I enjoy, given its similarities to pokemon. I might get into Duelyst soon, idk it depends on what its free to play system is like.

One game I have played a reasonable amount of is a game called Mabinogi Duel. It presents a really cool twist on the typical ccg formula as your deck consists of like a dozen cards or so but you have access to all of it immediately. The free to play model is also pretty decent imo, like it's possible to get good stuff for free, although obviously the incentive is to spend. However I stopped playing it because it felt like every other game I played I ran into some bullshit gimmick strategy which was hard to stop and overall I felt like what I did didn't matter. It's like if you played pokemon and half your matches were against baton pass teams
Try out Faeria. It's free to play and quite fun.

I love Duelyst, I even started a thread for it here. Game kinda died between then and now after they listened to way too much community feedback and irreparably damaged their game imo. The free to play is fine enough at getting you servicable decks quickly, but most of the good streamers have abandoned the game and the ladder's much less populated than it used to be. If you decide to pick it up, you should add me. I'm Geistwheel

there was never a thread for the Pokemon TCG till now? strange....

well anyway my main CCG currently is Hearthstone which seems to be going nuts over how controversial Yogg-Saron is in events, but after finish moving I plan on tryng to pick up the Pokemon Card Game again(or at least I hope so....but Jesus the price of a freaking Shaymin EX though)

Was thinking an Electric/Fairy theme, anyone who has knowledge of those types in the current meta know and good recommended cards?

Shaka Brah

Banned deucer.
Ya I played Faeria for a while and got #1 legend in season 1 at one point, it's pretty cerebral and the gameplay is quite fun. The customer support is ass though and I really don't like the company behind the game so I stopped playing. If you're looking for something new if you're bored of HS or something I'd give it a go. Grinding through the solo mode is annoying as fuck but you can do it all with the codex cards you get at the start and it gets way better as you build your collection.

Definitely think it's a better grid-style game than Duelyst

Anyone else on here go to the Kaladesh Prerelease? I thought the set was pretty fun. Energy (a beneficial counter that cards can add to you, that you spend on effects) is pretty cool and most of the cards revolving around it have great design. Vehicles (artifacts that become creatures for a turn if you tap some creatures to "crew" them) are neat too, they can be a little difficult to kill and make everything a little more aggressive but I think their timing gives us a fresh combat pacing.

I used to play Pokemon TCG for the longest time, till they started charging to play in events again a few years back. Since then my attendance went to pretty much nil for over a year now. Granted, I know that's "how it works", pay to get (theoretically) better prize support and such, but honestly, I was never a top TCG player, a few top finishes at some of the lower level events, but I couldn't afford it when I used to be decent for the top decks and had interest, and I'll be damned if I'm gonna throw money at it now when VGC is around and taking place over the same day at major events now (and they charge now too, boo).

Uh what else...used to play YGO, but haven't touched it in forever (been hording some rare cards to flip one day though). Always wanted to try getting into MTG, but again that's money and time I can't afford atm with the other games I do play. Hearthstone for me personally is toxic, I get too frustrated at RNG dictated from some stupid computer processor that already won't give me the loot I want in WoW or the same piece I don't want over and over again, so yeah, I avoid playing too much Hearthstone lest I get the urge to chuck the phone across the room because my opponent made another miracle pull out of their ass to win. At least with other TCGs you have ways to search out your deck and make plays that dictate how a deck will run, unlike Hearthstone where you have very limited forms of draw or even searching.

MFW Cancel too good for standard

also good to see that black is trash when I have the opportunity to actually start playing again lol

Last edited:

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
i play magic casually, current deck is red/black vamps that i pulled at a draft and then supplemented a bit when i realized "hey this actually a pretty damn decent deck"

would like to go to FNM more often but i usually have work/other obligations zzz

Bedschibaer

NAME = FUCK
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

MFW Cancel too good for standard

also good to see that black is trash when I have the opportunity to actually start playing again lol
To be fair there is a strictly better cancel in standard right now, this one goes with the bounce/blink theme in the current limited format. It's still horrible though.

Reactions: zf

Acklow

So the latest set in Future Card Buddyfight came out with two brand new Flags - Executioners which is a self-milling aggressive-style of deck, and Guardians which is a slow controlly deck filled with cards that put cards from your discard back onto the bottom of your deck. I ended up building an Executioners deck which seems to be pretty fun. Apparently in Vancouver, Executioners placed second in a tournament right behind Superheroines which is one of my favorite decks to play atm.

i play magic casually, current deck is red/black vamps that i pulled at a draft and then supplemented a bit when i realized "hey this actually a pretty damn decent deck"

would like to go to FNM more often but i usually have work/other obligations zzz
Is that the intro pack for Eldritch Moon?

Acklow

Me and a couple of Smogoners on Discord have taken up Shadowverse. It's a fairly enjoyable alternative to Hearthstone that carries itself quite well in terms of card balance and quality. Combo decks tend to be extremely supported and make for interesting alternative win conditions as opposed to smorcing everything like in HS. If anyone plays and cares to add me, my User ID is 155 397 854.

Me and a couple of Smogoners on Discord have taken up Shadowverse. It's a fairly enjoyable alternative to Hearthstone that carries itself quite well in terms of card balance and quality. Combo decks tend to be extremely supported and make for interesting alternative win conditions as opposed to smorcing everything like in HS. If anyone plays and cares to add me, my User ID is 155 397 854.
I actually just switched over to Shadowverse myself, and constructed a Purgatory Forestcraft deck. And holy shit, Curvestone is so fucking boring in comparison to Shadowverse. I've always been in deep love with Combo decks, but the only combo decks in HS is Miracle (shit atm) and I guess Maly Druid? Neither is flashy and fun.

I actually just switched over to Shadowverse myself, and constructed a Purgatory Forestcraft deck. And holy shit, Curvestone is so fucking boring in comparison to Shadowverse. I've always been in deep love with Combo decks, but the only combo decks in HS is Miracle (shit atm) and I guess Maly Druid? Neither is flashy and fun.
How many packs did you have to open to make Putgatory Forestcraft? If seems interesting but I'm through all the freebies and the cheap 600 crystal one time deal and I'm not really close to any of the decks. I'd consider buying a few if it gets me where I need to be

How many packs did you have to open to make Putgatory Forestcraft? If seems interesting but I'm through all the freebies and the cheap 600 crystal one time deal and I'm not really close to any of the decks. I'd consider buying a few if it gets me where I need to be
Not a whole lot, to be honest. The free packs, plus I think I bought 40 extra packs.

I did however liquify a large amount of golds and legendaries from other classes. It's not the best for a good collection, but I wanted to play Purgatory. I think it's 30k vials to make.

Acklow

If you play purgatory you are a cancer to shadowverse. lol

jk, deck concept is fun to play but not against ngl.

Mostly Rhinoceroach that is broken.

The deck is super fun to play, especially when you nail the super fun and super rare Altered Fate -> Altered Fate -> Altered Fate - PURGE combo. Super rare tho.

Ye, Rhinoceroah is pretty fucking broken.

I also wanna try Dimension Shift Runecraft and Dragoncraft, but I need basically every damn card in the decks because I liquified everything lol.

Acklow

I finished my Pascale Runecraft deck the other day. I'll post the decklist later.

I opened 1 Dark Angel and crafted 1, 2 Pascales were opened, the other one was crafted. I also crafted Lucifer. This decklist is a bit different from the one I initially was trying to copy, but that's because the Scholarly Witches ended up becoming a big aspect of maintaining card draw in the mid-game where the deck seems to have issues. Luckily the decklist already had 2x DAOs and so I was able to tech in Lucifer instead of having 3x Unicorn Dancers for the healing the deck needed.

Last edited:
Been enjoying Eternal for the past month or so and the game just recently went into open beta along with a big patch (I managed to get a beta key about a month ago). Nice cross between Hearthstone and Magic: The Gathering, but the game leans closer to the latter (can actually do stuff on your opponents turn). Games are surprisingly fast paced. It's now available for early access on Steam and is free to play. Dire Wolf is on a roll between this and the Elder Scrolls card game IMO.

Anyone else been playing this game in closed beta?

Been enjoying Eternal for the past month or so and the game just recently went into open beta along with a big patch (I managed to get a beta key about a month ago). Nice cross between Hearthstone and Magic: The Gathering, but the game leans closer to the latter (can actually do stuff on your opponents turn). Games are surprisingly fast paced. It's now available for early access on Steam and is free to play. Dire Wolf is on a roll between this and the Elder Scrolls card game IMO.

Anyone else been playing this game in closed beta?
Yo thanks for this, this game seems really cool on first impression. Feels like Magic but without having to go through the rancid garbage that is magic online.

Wow, Eternal is really cool so far. Multifaction possibilities really enrich the deckbuilding and gameplay, the draft mode is amazing, and the multiple AI challenge modes are a fun way to learn and look for cards you need.

I'm using a Rakano (red green) aggro deck and the warcry mechanic gives it an interesting flow. I'm top 50 in ranked now trying for this game's equivalent of legend. A lot of my opponents are really good (I even got to beat Jon Finkel) and it seems like a decently rich standard meta.

The draft format is really smooth, and it basically works like normal, opening packs picking cards, and passing, but instead of being in a closed loop of 8 people you can be passed a pack from anyone with the right number of cards. This has it's disadvantages in not getting to read the table but more than makes up for it in speed (I haven't once had to wait for a pack and I never have to wait for a draft to fill up like in MTGO), and the pack decay quailty as cards get picked is very much the same because people still know what's good. Since I found out nobody fucking drafts magic in the city I just moved to I'm having a lot of fun with this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)