SM OU Cause of Wet Socks || An Offensive Rain Team

Cause of Wet Socks

swampert-mega.gifpelipper.gifkingdra.gifjolteon.giftornadus-therian.gif
kartana.gif

This was a rain team that I kinda just slapped together.

swampert-mega.gif

Swampert (M) @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Superpower

Classic sweeping set, this thing is legit on every rain team now. Earthquake and waterfall are for STAB with Ice punch being there for flying and grass types and super power for hitting weird dual typed steel pokemon like ferrothorn and kartana.

pelipper.gif

Pelipper (M) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Hurricane
- Scald
- U-turn
- Roost

Another staple, can't have a rain team without rain right? Once again Hurricane and Scald for STAB. Scald is also used to "fish" for burns to cripple physical attackers. U-turn is great because pelipper's slow speed gets everyone in for free. I took Roost over Defog for health recovery and because I already have another defogger.

kingdra.gif

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power Electric

Hey ever see that movie Finding Nemo? Well this guy just swims in... and then back out. A Special sweeper/nuker with Draco Meteor and Hydro Pump hitting REALLY hard with full investment in SpA. Ice Beam is also there for flying and grass types and Hidden Power Electric is there for water types. I may want to consider switching to Hidden Power Grass to cover the ground/water types like swampert.

jolteon.gif

Jolteon @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Now I know what you're thinking, "Just use Tapu Koko he's just as fast and has a secondary STAB." Well I didn't really need the fairy typing due to all the ice and dragon moves I'm packing and I wasn't using electric terrain. So I picked Jolteon for his higher special attack, speed tie, and invaluable ability in volt absorb for a rain team. Volt Absorb is great for sponging electric attacks in case I lose swampert (God forbid). Thunder can be used for power as I always want rain. Volt Switch for momentum, Shadow Ball for Psychic and Ghost Types, and Hidden Power Ice for ground types like Landorous T and Garchomp. Hidden Power Ice OHKOs (unless landorous is running a bulk set or has sash, in that case its a 2HKO).

tornadus-therian.gif

Tornadus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Defog

This big bird is my pivot and defogger. A Z-Powered Hurricane can put a huge dent in almost anything and hurricane is great to spam. Knock Off is there to make walls cry and Chansey pissed. U-Turn is there for momentum. Defog is there for... well defog.

kartana.gif

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Smart Strike
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Knock Off

I originally had Scizor here, but I slowly realized that I was only using him for his bullet punch. I also had a huge problem hitting other water/ ground types like Swampert. Tapu Lele was also a problem for Scizor as he could no longer use his greatest asset, bullet punch. So to fix these problems I swapped him for Kartana. Smart Strike to hit fairies, specifically Tapu Lele, and for STAB. Leaf Blade is for hitting ground or water types that my Jolteon can't catch up to like Scarf or Ash Greninja. Sacred Sword for coverage for steel types and Knock off to either hit psychic types that Scizor could get or to cripple walls.

Counters:
Other Weathers - Since I only have Pelipper to set weather and my team is dependent on it much more than other rain teams, other weathers really mess with the team.
Mega Alakazam - I fear this guy for one reason - Trace. If Alakazam copies one of my swift swim sweepers in the rain, the game just ends. If scizor is down then I have nothing to specially wall the LUDICROUSLY fast Mega or to even come close to catching it.

swampert-mega.gifpelipper.gifkingdra.gifjolteon.giftornadus-therian.gif
kartana.gif

Attachments

Last edited:
Switch out kartana w/ Ash-Greninja if you fear M-Alakazam tat much. Here's a set that i use:
Greninja-Ash @ Choice Scarf
Gentle Nature
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpA / 248 SpD / 6 Spe
- Scald
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Spikes
scald > hydro pump: because that 30% burn is soooooooooooooooo annoying it gets really ridiculous if you're lucky with it.
Dark pulse: for that alakazam
Ice Beam, protect those grass types from your swampert
Spikes: u have no hazards on yr team
This ev set is the only way you'll make it out alive (w/ outspeed and a 100% ohko'in the alakazam)

Notes:
With this Greninja, you NEED to fear Ferrothorn it will rip your team, especially the offensive ones. the stall ones isn't as bad. Well, just make sure you set up rain -> swift swim swampert -> superpower. BTW, you'll have to 2hko that thing and power whip can ohko u

Hope i helped

Last edited:
Switch out kartana w/ Ash-Greninja if you fear M-Alakazam tat much. Here's a set that i use:
Greninja-Ash @ Choice Scarf
Gentle Nature
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpA / 248 SpD / 6 Spe
- Scald
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Spikes
scald > hydro pump: because that 30% burn is soooooooooooooooo annoying it gets really ridiculous if you're lucky with it.
Dark pulse: for that alakazam
Ice Beam, protect those grass types from your swampert
Spikes: u have no hazards on yr team
This ev set is the only way you'll make it out alive (w/ outspeed and a 100% ohko'in the alakazam)

Notes:
With this Greninja, you NEED to fear Ferrothorn it will rip your team, especially the offensive ones. the stall ones isn't as bad. Well, just make sure you set up rain -> swift swim swampert -> superpower. BTW, you'll have to 2hko that thing and power whip can ohko u

Hope i helped
Thanks for the help, I'll certainly try this greninja set as it gives me the ability to hit psychic types like lele and alakazam, as well as giving me enough speed to counter one of my biggest problems, set up mons.

Thanks for the help, I'll certainly try this greninja set as it gives me the ability to hit psychic types like lele and alakazam, as well as giving me enough speed to counter one of my biggest problems, set up mons.
If you're going to use Scarf Greninja, make it the regular Scarf one and give it Protean:
Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 176 Atk / 80 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Rock Slide / Gunk Shot
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse / Spikes
You can toy around the EVs to fit it to your needs; Ice Beam, with STAB and 80 SpA, can OHKO Kartana, and the rest is poured into Attack to make Rock Slide and U-Turn slightly more powerful.

To be honest, just use Tapu Koko instead of Jolteon. You're going to say you don't need the Electric Terrain, Fairy-type... but Tapu Koko is simply that much better. STAB Dazzling Gleam is always welcomed, and under the rain, it fires absurd Thunders. You should try it for yourself and see.
Electric Terrain can remove another terrain in play, which can be important to weaken Tapu Bulu.

Hey The boss eevee! The team has a lot of interesting ideas, but I feel like most of the changes from the standard rain team are either unnecessary, or are outclassed by other Pokémon in various regards. This time I am going to try something different and tell you why I think the standard Pokémon outclass your changes because rain is usually a playstyle that is sticking to a certain norm with usually only one to two changes being made on the more creative spectrum of the style. So without further ado, let's get it started!

Pokémon and Reasoning:
:
While I do appreaciate the idea of wanting to bring something creative, I think that Tapu Koko outclasses Jolteon in almost every regard. Tapu Koko's attack stats are higher and the same amount of speed, making it the better momentum gainer. It has a wider defensive movepool with Nature's Madness, Roost, and Taunt and a wider offensive movepool with STAB Dazzling Gleam and U-Turn. Electric Terrain also helps Tapu Koko in its ability to break through, or, at least, damage certain Pokémon substantially. The last point as to why Jolteon is not worth running is mainly because its ability doesn't do anything for you. I mean you already have a
type in Mega Swampert. How does Volt Absorb do anything for you at all? Summed up, I like the idea of wanting to use Jolteon, but it generally gets outclassed by Tapu Koko.
: Why do I think this Pokémon needs to be replaced? Well, in terms of sweepability and breakability Hawlucha is just a much better fit here. To give Hawlucha the opportunity to sweep is pretty easy in most games. Choice Scarf Kartana on the other hand is a Pokémon that is well prepped for these days and is therefore less capable of sweeping at the end. What also bugs me on an offensive team like this is the fact that it is really frail on the special defensive end. It cannot challenge any special attacker with priority, mainly Ash-Greninja though, and is forced out most of the time. Summed up, Hawlucha's synergy with Tapu Koko definitely makes it a more reliable sweeper than Kartana on rain.
How can you improve the team otherwise?
>
(
):
This change has no real purpose but to free up the Z-Move slot for Tapu Koko that is going to run Electrium Z on this team. It still kind of does what it did before, just its power has diminished a bit. It should still be an alright remover on rain teams, even with the same set as before. Just the spread is different as I decided to make it max HP, max Speed.
Stealth Rock >Superpower (
):
This change is without a doubt a necessity. Stealth Rocks support your team's breakability by a ton, it chips Pokémon that the team might be weak to, etc. . Superpower was an easy replacement since you hit almost everything with the other moves, with the exception of Ferrothorn which also gets covered by the teammates of your team. Think of Hawlucha and Tornadus-Therian. That is why I think the Stealth Rock|Waterfall|Earthquake|Ice Punch set should be run.
Surf > Hidden Power [Electric] (
):
With the Tapu Koko already being on the team, I don't think Hidden Power [Electric] for Mantine is necessary anymore because for one it isn't that common anyway, and for two you now have Tapu Koko to take care of it. Surf is also a key move on Kingdra as you are clicking Surf most of the games where it can do something whereas Hidden Power [Electric] serves a niche purpose. Additionally, I would always advise you to consider Hidden Power [Electric] ONLY when you are fine with sacrificing Ice Beam, you never take away its STABs. With all of that being said, the full set is going to be Surf|Draco Meteor|Ice Beam|Hydro Pump.
Conclusion:
The team overall wasn't that bad but there were a few things that I was missing, for instance the rocker on the team. Also, you didn't have the breaking power that the team now has, mainly due to the fact that you didn't carry Stealth Rock on your team and carried Pokémon that were more like momentum drainers rather than momentum gainers. The team now should have fixed the issues more or less, although the team is relatively standard, I have to admit. There is a reason why rain almost always goes by the norm, simply because that's the best way. I hope you had no hard feelings while reading this and I hope that you kind of see where I'm coming from. In any case, I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors and in this game!
Resources:

Hey The boss eevee! The team has a lot of interesting ideas, but I feel like most of the changes from the standard rain team are either unnecessary, or are outclassed by other Pokémon in various regards. This time I am going to try something different and tell you why I think the standard Pokémon outclass your changes because rain is usually a playstyle that is sticking to a certain norm with usually only one to two changes being made on the more creative spectrum of the style. So without further ado, let's get it started!

Pokémon and Reasoning:
:
While I do appreaciate the idea of wanting to bring something creative, I think that Tapu Koko outclasses Jolteon in almost every regard. Tapu Koko's attack stats are higher and the same amount of speed, making it the better momentum gainer. It has a wider defensive movepool with Nature's Madness, Roost, and Taunt and a wider offensive movepool with STAB Dazzling Gleam and U-Turn. Electric Terrain also helps Tapu Koko in its ability to break through, or, at least, damage certain Pokémon substantially. The last point as to why Jolteon is not worth running is mainly because its ability doesn't do anything for you. I mean you already have a
type in Mega Swampert. How does Volt Absorb do anything for you at all? Summed up, I like the idea of wanting to use Jolteon, but it generally gets outclassed by Tapu Koko.
: Why do I think this Pokémon needs to be replaced? Well, in terms of sweepability and breakability Hawlucha is just a much better fit here. To give Hawlucha the opportunity to sweep is pretty easy in most games. Choice Scarf Kartana on the other hand is a Pokémon that is well prepped for these days and is therefore less capable of sweeping at the end. What also bugs me on an offensive team like this is the fact that it is really frail on the special defensive end. It cannot challenge any special attacker with priority, mainly Ash-Greninja though, and is forced out most of the time. Summed up, Hawlucha's synergy with Tapu Koko definitely makes it a more reliable sweeper than Kartana on rain.
How can you improve the team otherwise?
>
(
):
This change has no real purpose but to free up the Z-Move slot for Tapu Koko that is going to run Electrium Z on this team. It still kind of does what it did before, just its power has diminished a bit. It should still be an alright remover on rain teams, even with the same set as before. Just the spread is different as I decided to make it max HP, max Speed.
Stealth Rock >Superpower (
):
This change is without a doubt a necessity. Stealth Rocks support your team's breakability by a ton, it chips Pokémon that the team might be weak to, etc. . Superpower was an easy replacement since you hit almost everything with the other moves, with the exception of Ferrothorn which also gets covered by the teammates of your team. Think of Hawlucha and Tornadus-Therian. That is why I think the Stealth Rock|Waterfall|Earthquake|Ice Punch set should be run.
Surf > Hidden Power [Electric] (
):
With the Tapu Koko already being on the team, I don't think Hidden Power [Electric] for Mantine is necessary anymore because for one it isn't that common anyway, and for two you now have Tapu Koko to take care of it. Surf is also a key move on Kingdra as you are clicking Surf most of the games where it can do something whereas Hidden Power [Electric] serves a niche purpose. Additionally, I would always advise you to consider Hidden Power [Electric] ONLY when you are fine with sacrificing Ice Beam, you never take away its STABs. With all of that being said, the full set is going to be Surf|Draco Meteor|Ice Beam|Hydro Pump.
Conclusion:
The team overall wasn't that bad but there were a few things that I was missing, for instance the rocker on the team. Also, you didn't have the breaking power that the team now has, mainly due to the fact that you didn't carry Stealth Rock on your team and carried Pokémon that were more like momentum drainers rather than momentum gainers. The team now should have fixed the issues more or less, although the team is relatively standard, I have to admit. There is a reason why rain almost always goes by the norm, simply because that's the best way. I hope you had no hard feelings while reading this and I hope that you kind of see where I'm coming from. In any case, I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors and in this game!

Resources:
Thanks for the help, you've really analyzed my team and addressed a lot of the issues I've been having and I just want to say thanks. However I did want to say the reason I used jolteon for future comments. Jolteon does not have the same power behind its electric moves as tapu koko, but it does fit a few niches that at the time I found useful. While volt absorb seems redundant, it is a constant threat to other electric types looking to sack my pelipper and can make them go for weak coverage moves that I can predict and capitalize on. Jolteon also can OHKO many of its switch ins with a hp Ice, especially landorus T which makes it a great lure. However these niches can pale in comparison to the other things koko can give my team like terrain control and hawlucha, who I have actually considered adding. Thanks again.

Thanks for the help, you've really analyzed my team and addressed a lot of the issues I've been having and I just want to say thanks. However I did want to say the reason I used jolteon for future comments. Jolteon does not have the same power behind its electric moves as tapu koko, but it does fit a few niches that at the time I found useful. While volt absorb seems redundant, it is a constant threat to other electric types looking to sack my pelipper and can make them go for weak coverage moves that I can predict and capitalize on. Jolteon also can OHKO many of its switch ins with a hp Ice, especially landorus T which makes it a great lure. However these niches can pale in comparison to the other things koko can give my team like terrain control and hawlucha, who I have actually considered adding. Thanks again.
The points I was trying to make was that Volt Absorb is really redundant since you already have a pretty solid and strong Ground type in Mega Swampert and that the same sets can be run on Tapu Koko that do even more damage to the threats you mentioned before. It can hit them on the switch harder than Jolteon can.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)