UU Cloyster

autumn

only i will remain
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
C&C Leader
qc: Kreme / Nuked / Eyan
gp: A Cake Wearing A Hat / Fireflame479

[OVERVIEW]

Cloyster's niche lies in its access to Shell Smash, which makes it a very threatening breaker when set up, able to threaten almost every common archetype at +2. Skill Link solidifies this niche, giving Cloyster access to a powerful, spammable physical Ice-type STAB move in Icicle Spear. However, Cloyster needs a lot of team support to be able to function effectively, meaning it faces competition from other setup sweepers like Azumarill and Scizor. It also faces competition from Barbaracle as a Shell Smash sweeper due to Barbaracle's superior typing. Cloyster (avoid possible confusion) suffers from a lackluster defensive typing, giving it common weaknesses to Electric, Grass, and Fighting as well as a weakness to the ever-present Stealth Rock. This makes it very difficult to find setup opportunities. Despite its good Defense, it can be worn down very easily before setting up and can easily be KOed at -1, and its poor Special Defense means that almost every unresisted special attack can OHKO it. It also struggles to break through common defensive Pokemon like Alomomola and Quagsire, which has access to Unaware.

[SET]
name: Shell Smash
move 1: Shell Smash
move 2: Icicle Spear
move 3: Hydro Pump
move 4: Explosion
item: Normalium Z
ability: Skill Link
nature: Naive
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Shell Smash boosts Cloyster's Attack, Special Attack, and Speed, allowing it to become a threatening wallbreaker. Icicle Spear hits common threats such as Gliscor, Serperior, and Latias super effectively, and the move threatens many Pokemon that don't resist it, such as Blissey and Alolan Muk, when Cloyster is boosted. Hydro Pump hits physically defensive Pokemon such as Scizor and Ice-resistant Pokemon such as Cobalion and Doublade harder than any of Cloyster's other moves. Explosion hits Water-types like Azumarill and Suicune, which resist Cloyster's STAB moves, hard, and it also pressures foes with an extremely powerful attack. It is also useful to eliminate bulkier foes and generate momentum for Cloyster's teammates to come in and sweep late-game; when combined with Normalium Z, it is turned into a strong Breakneck Blitz—while weaker than the base move, it can still dent opposing walls and give Cloyster a chance to sweep itself.

Set Details
========

252 Attack EVs maximize Cloyster's offensive presence, allowing it to threaten common Pokemon such as Serperior and Latias more effectively. 252 Speed EVs allow Cloyster to outspeed the entire unboosted metagame at +2 as well as Choice Scarf users such as Hydreigon and Infernape. A Naive nature maximizes Cloyster's Speed while not damaging either of its attacking stats. Normalium Z turns Explosion into a 200-Base Power Breakneck Blitz; however, Life Orb can also be used to give all of Cloyster's attacks more power at the cost of wearing Cloyster down very quickly.

Usage Tips
========

Cloyster's role depends on its matchup against the opposing team; it can either break through bulky foes like Suicune to facilitate a sweep or sweep itself, aided by partners, if similar threats are weakened for it. Cloyster can be used to punch holes in opposing teams, weakening or KOing bulky foes such as Hippowdon, Gliscor, Blissey, and Amoonguss. If the opponent has any of these Pokemon, setting up a Shell Smash as soon as possible is preferred towaiting for an opportunity to sweep. Use Icicle Spear liberally when breaking, as it is Cloyster's most reliable and powerful STAB move, hitting much of the tier neutrally or super effectively and pressuring less defensive Pokemon. Saving Explosion or Breakneck Blitz for bulkier Pokemon like Suicune allows Cloyster's teammates to sweep late-game. Explosion can also generate momentum for Cloyster's teammates. Cloyster should avoid taking damage before it sets up if it wants to sweep, so bring it in after a teammate has fainted, on a teammate's slow Volt Switch or U-turn, or on a predicted double switch to avoid unnecessary residual damage. It is best to set up on Pokemon that can't damage Cloyster much, such as Blissey and Hippowdon, or on a forced switch to eliminate the possibility of Cloyster getting KOed before it can break teams. Avoid setting up a Shell Smash if you want to sweep with Cloyster when foes that take little damage from all of Cloyster's attacks, such as Alomomola, have not been weakened or KOed. Breakneck Blitz, while stronger than Icicle Spear, should be used only on foes that resist both of Cloyster's STAB moves, as it can only be used once, and Explosion should only be used as a last resort if sweeping, as it KOes Cloyster.

Team Options
========

Because Cloyster is weak to Stealth Rock and vulnerable to all other entry hazards, Defoggers such as Mega Altaria, Hydreigon, and Gliscor make good partners. Gliscor also provides the team with an Electric immunity. Entry hazard support from Pokemon like Gliscor and Cobalion is useful, as it allows Cloyster to secure more KOs, thus breaking the opposing team more easily. Slow U-turn and Volt Switch users, such as Scizor and Rotom-C, bring Cloyster in safely so it avoids damage. Pokemon that can deal with special attackers, such as Mega Aerodactyl to take care of Serperior and Hippowdon to beat Mega Manectric, which can easily outspeed an unboosted Cloyster and KO it,(AC) make good partners for Cloyster. Mega Manectric can also pivot into a set-up Cloyster due to Intimidate, and setting up a second time can be very risky. Hippowdon and Swampert can also take Bullet Punch from Scizor, which threatens a set-up Cloyster due to its lowered Defense. Fighting-type checks, such as Latias and Gliscor, pressure common Fighting-types like Breloom, Infernape, and Lucario, which have access to strong super effective priortiy priority in Mach Punch and Vacuum Wave. Choice Scarf users such as Chandelure and Latias make good partners, as the former provides Memento, giving Cloyster a free turn to set up, while the latter provides Healing Wish, allowing a weakened Cloyster to set up and break again.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A Focus Sash suicide lead set can be run with Spikes and Toxic Spikes, but it's very slow, crippled by Taunt, and pressured by other leads. Ice Shard can be run on the main set for priority; however, at +2, Cloyster outspeeds everything that it would hit with Ice Shard to hit with Icicle Spear. This is also rendered ineffective by the fact that Cloyster takes very little damage from common priority moves such as Aqua Jet and Ice Shard. Rapid Spin can also be run, but Cloyster is vulnerable to entry hazards, limiting its effectiveness as a spinner. Liquidation is another option to capitalize on Cloyster's higher Attack stat, but it means that Cloyster lacks a reliable way to deal with some physically defensive Pokemon like Doublade and Mega Aggron. Rock Blast can be run to allow Cloyster to hit Mantine harder.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Offensive Pressure**: Due to Cloyster's poor defensive typing and lackluster Special Defense, it is pressured by many common offensive threats, such as Mega Manectric, Serperior, and Latias, when unboosted. These Pokemon can outright KO Cloyster or force it out, stopping it from setting up and breaking.

**Status**: Burns from Pokemon such as Alomomola halve Cloyster's Attack stat and limit its wallbreaking ability. Poison wears Cloyster down over time, reducing its effectiveness as a wallbreaker. Paralysis halves Cloyster's Speed, meaning it can be outsped and OHKOed by Pokemon that it can usually deal with at +2 such as Serperior.

**Bulky Water-types**: Most bulky Water-types, excluding Swampert and Mantine, can stop Cloyster from attempting to sweep with its STAB moves but are vulnerable to being broken through by Breakneck Blitz or Explosion. Foes such as Alomomola and Suicune take very little damage from Cloyster's STAB moves and can only be removed through Explosion or Breakneck Blitz, which can both be stopped by Protect. Quagsire does not resist any of Cloyster's moves, but Unaware renders Cloyster's Shell Smash boosts useless. Empoleon can also wall Cloyster due to resisting Explosion and Breakneck Blitz, but it can be worn down easily due to a lack of recovery.

**Entry Hazards**: Cloyster's Ice typing leaves it with a weakness to Stealth Rock, limiting the number of times that it can switch in. Toxic Spikes wear Cloyster down with poison damage each turn, limiting its effectiveness as a wallbreaker and making it increasingly more vulnerable to priority. Sticky Web means that Choice Scarf users such as Infernape and Hydreigon outspeed Cloyster at +2 and can KO it.

Last edited:

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Overview
  • Maybe a bit nitpicky but the examples put in the first bullet point honestly make Cloyster seem really pathetic; it hits all those Pokemon super effectively with its main STAB but only threatens them at +2 which is uh lmao. I'd just remove the examples and reword it. Mainly just say it can threaten most teams at +2 and has a decent matchup against most of the common team archetypes present in the meta.
  • A bullet point needs to be added on how it generally requires extensive support in order to function its role effectively.
  • Rework the third bullet point; this bullet point should be a follow up to the bullet point above, in stating how Cloyster faces competition from generally more consistent sweepers with better overall utility (use examples like BD Azu or SD Scizor etc etc) that also require less support. Cloyster also faces competition as a SS user from Barbaracle, but Cloy can outspeed stuff while Barb generally just has better typing to setup etc etc.
  • Fourth bullet point should highly stress how this typing makes it a lot harder for Cloyster to find setup opportunities due to these common weaknesses.
  • Fifth bullet point; Blissey's not the best example here I believe.
Set
  • Remove Liquidation as a slash. I'm fairly sure it doesn't do anything that Hydro Pump doesn't do better, although ig if another QC member has good evidence to say otherwise later that's fine.
  • Jolly removed to reflect above change.
Moves
  • Remove Liquidation mention here, it could probably go in OO.
  • Rock Blast doesn't hit any other Flying-types that aren't Mantine harder, so remove the generalization here. I honestly think this should go in OO as well.
Usage Tips
  • Third bullet point should be changed a bit; mention that the case about not setting up if they're not weakened only applies to when you're aiming to sweep with Cloyster as opposed to breaking with it, which I think is something that should probably get more elaboration with another bullet point. I think emphasizing it on the fourth bullet point could work.
Team Options
  • Choice Scarfers; remove all the examples and just leave the general statement. Have a sentence afterwards giving a special mention to Latias and another one for Chandelure. The former cos of HW, the latter cos of Memento; be sure to list the quirks of both for Cloyster.
  • I'm a bit iffy on having Grass-checks or Electric-checks because they honestly do the same thing vs Cloyster as any special attacker to better reflect my changes to Checks and Counters but ehh I'll leave it for now ig, not sure how I'd go about it as of right now.
Other Options
  • OO is in bullet points before write-up. Only Checks and Counters isn't.
  • In the Ice Shard mention you say Icicle Crash instead of Icicle Spear, please fix it. Also on this I think it's better to emphasize that Cloyster also generally takes minimal damage from most of the priority in the tier; 4x resisting Ice Shard from Mamoswine and resisting AJet from Azu, takes BP from Scizor decently well etc etc.
  • Life Orb should be mentioned. The damage boost can be really nice since it helps you break through Quagsire and such, especially if you've happened to use a Z-Move elsewhere.
Checks and Counters
  • ok this is the section that needs the most work. Remove all of these sections. Essentially ALL of them more or less fall into Faster Attackers because they all check Cloyster the same way. I'd rather change it to a section that says "Offensive Pressure" and you can refer to my Barbaracle analysis on how that should more or less look like.
  • I'd generally be ok with a Faster Pokemon section but I feel like that falls under offensive pressure regardless. You can do the section of Offensive Pressure by saying like you should try to pressure Cloy with Pokemon that can outright KO it as much as possible such as etc etc but if you can't then xxxx (refer to Barbaracle for the second part, you should get the idea but if not message me on discord or PS or forums or w/e for clarification).
  • Status should be a section; similar to Barbaracle again.
  • Bulky Water-types deserve a section since they need to get nuked by Explosion or Breakneck to have a chance to be removed. It's easily played around especially by Protect users like Suicune / Alo so you can give them special mentions.
After all of this is done then 1/3 but be sure to tag me so I can look through it again.

autumn

only i will remain
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
C&C Leader
Kreme done thank you! did you mean move life orb to oo? i already had it on set details instead because it’s actually pretty useful

edit: spoke on discord and kreme said it was good for 1/3

Last edited:
Mention Cloyster's horrible Special Defense somewhere in the overview, probably in the fourth line.

In Team Options, how does Amoonguss threaten Cloyster? It takes a shitload from Icicle Spear, and it just drops after rocks. Mention Rotom-C here instead.

I'd also add a section in Checks and Counters for entry hazards. It's weak to rocks, Toxic Spikes cripple it, and webs make it easier to outspeed with Choice Scarf users.

Sorry for the wait :( QC 2/3

Eyan

sleep is the cousin of death
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Moves
  • "Hydro Pump hits physically defensive Pokemon, such as Scizor and Swampert, and Ice-resistant Pokemon, such as Cobalion and Doublade, harder than any of Cloyster's other moves." Icicle Spear hits Swampert harder than Hydro Pump.
  • When talking about Explosion, a little more explanation is needed over simply hitting those Water-types. It's usually used to get rid of the foes you need to facilitate Cloyster's teammates for a late-game sweep or something, which tends to include more than Water-types, considering Explosion hits harder than Icicle Spear. If you were straight up sweeping with Cloyster, you wouldn't even use Explosion anyway, but it does mean that Breakneck Blitz is worth talking about for its use for sweeping.
Set Details
  • "If Liquidation is run over Hydro Pump, a Jolly nature should be used instead. Normalium Z turns Explosion into a 200-Base Power Breakneck Blitz; while it is not as powerful as Explosion, Cloyster has two opportunities to fire off a powerful attack. Life Orb can also be used to give all of Cloyster’s attacks more power and should be run if not using Explosion, but it wears Cloyster down very quickly." You moved Liquidation to OO but didn't update this part. Remove the part about it not being as powerful as Explosion; it should go in Moves with more explanation like I said earlier. Remove the part about Life Orb being the item to run if Explosion isn't used, since the set itself doesn't present any alternatives right now. Do mention some calcs of what Life Orb does for it, though.
Usage Tips
  • The content itself is more or less fine, but I'd restructure this a little. Cloyster's role depends on the matchup, but they're pretty much opposites in terms of when it sets up and are clearly defined as either being a wallbreaker to Pokemon like Suicune to support something like Choice Scarf Infernape or a sweeper of its own after those same Pokemon have been sufficiently weakened. That should be mentioned first.
  • Right now you're talking about what to do if you want Cloyster to sweep and then immediately saying it should be used to punch holes. Sounds kinda awkward that way.
  • The line about how it should be used to punch holes in teams up until before the mention of using Icicle Spear liberally isn't really right. When punching holes with Cloyster, the focus is realistically spamming Icicle Spear on weaker Pokemon and then using Explosion for the sturdier walls like Suicune. Yes, you can get rid of Hippowdon, Gliscor, and co., but realistically they won't let you unless they absolutely have to. On this note, setting up Shell Smash as soon as possible when those Pokemon are around would be incorrect, since at that point, if they had answers, why would they knowingly let you KO their Amoonguss or w/e. Basically, as far as punching holes goes, what it should say is that setting up relatively early with Cloyster allows it to lure and severely weaken or KO bulky Water-types with Explosion as well as anything that can potentially threaten its teammate's sweep, and this includes picking off the Pokemon like Hippowdon when they're already weakened.
  • "Breakneck Blitz should be used only on foes that resist both of Cloyster's STAB moves, as it can only be used once" To be fair, Breakneck Blitz is also slightly stronger than Icicle Spear.
  • "Explosion should only be used as a last resort, as it KOes Cloyster and eliminates its opportunities to break through opposing teams." you probably know with what I said earlier that Explosion itself is breaking through opposing teams to support its teammates, so this might not even be necessary if you talk about it then.
Team Options
  • Right now all the options here are all simply about bringing it in safely or dealing with the stuff that threatens it. Like Kreme mentioned in his own check, Grass- and Electric-type checks are kinda redundant when the main threat is that they're special attackers if anything, and they're only threatening with their offensive pressure prior to setup, so I'd remove those and add something about teammates that can just deal with common special attackers in the tier and give some examples like Serperior and Mega Manectric (so like "...deal with special attackers, such as Mega Aerodactyl to take care of Serperior and Hippowdon to beat Mega Manectric"). However, I will give a special mention to Mega Manectric due to Intimidate, allowing it to technically pivot in and out even when Cloyster is set up, and you'd be risking a lot if you attempt to set up again on it switching out.
  • For the Fighting-types point, I'd give special mention to stuff like Infernape, Breloom, and Lucario for their access to Mach Punch or Vacuum Wave, which are detrimental to a set-up Cloyster.
  • Mention partners that can take a strong Bullet Punch from Scizor for the same reasons as the other priority moves.
  • You have to talk about partners that appreciate Cloyster weakening or getting rid of stuff like bulky Water-types with Explosion as a breaker, so really anything that has trouble getting past them and fit on more offensive builds.
Checks and Counters
  • Bulky Water-types: I'd add a little thing at the front stating that most bulky Water-types (any that's not Swampert or Mantine) can stop Cloyster from attempting to sweep with its STAB moves but are vulnerable to being broken through by Breakneck Blitz or Explosion (Tentacruel, non-Protect Suicune, and you can even count Volcanion and Azumarill). From there, bring in Alomomola, Suicune, and Quagisre with what else they can do. Add in Empoleon as well due to it also resisting Explosion.
QC 3/3

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
add remove comments
[OVERVIEW]

Cloyster's niche lies in its access to Shell Smash, which makes it a very threatening breaker when set up, able to threaten almost every common archetype at +2. Skill Link solidifies this niche, giving Cloyster access to a powerful, spammable physical Ice-type STAB move in Icicle Spear. However, Cloyster needs a lot of team support to be able to function effectively, meaning it faces competition from other setup sweepers like Azumarill and Scizor. It also faces competition from Barbaracle as a Shell Smash sweeper due to Barbaracle’s superior typing. It suffers from a lackluster defensive typing, giving it common weaknesses to Electric, Grass, and Fighting as well as a weakness to the ever-present Stealth Rock. This makes it very difficult to find setup opportunities. Despite its good Defense, it can be worn down very easily before setting up, and it can easily be KOed at -1, and its poor Special Defense means that almost every unresisted special attack can OHKO it. It also struggles to break through common defensive Pokemon like Alomomola and Quagsire due to the latter's access to Unaware. (This makes it seem as if it also loses to Alomomola because of Quagsire's Unaware imo.)

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Shell Smash boosts Cloyster's Attack, Special Attack, and Speed, allowing it to become a threatening breaker. Icicle Spear hits common threats such as Gliscor, Serperior, and Latias super effectively, and the move threatens a large chunk of the metagame that doesn't many Pokemon that don't resist it, such as Blissey and Alolan Muk, when Cloyster is boosted. Hydro Pump hits physically defensive Pokemon such as Scizor and Ice-resistant Pokemon such as Cobalion and Doublade harder than any of Cloyster's other moves. Explosion hits Water-types like Azumarill and Suicune, which resist Cloyster's STAB moves, hard, and it also pressures foes with an extremely powerful attack. It is also useful to eliminate bulkier foes and generate momentum for its Cloyster's teammates to come in and sweep late-game; when combined with Normalium Z, it is turned into a strong Breakneck Blitz—while weaker than the base move, it can still dent opposing walls and give Cloyster a chance to sweep itself.

Set Details
========

252 Attack EVs mazimize maximize Cloyster's offensive presence, allowing it to threaten common Pokemon such as Serperior and Latias more effectively. 252 Speed EVs allow Cloyster to outspeed the entire unboosted metagame at +2 as well as Choice Scarf users such as Hydreigon and Infernape. A Naive nature maximizes Cloyster's Speed while not damaging either of its attacking stats. Normalium Z turns Explosion into a 200-Base Power Breakneck Blitz; however, a Life Orb can also be used to give all of Cloyster’s attacks more power but wears at the cost of wearing Cloyster down very quickly.

Usage Tips
========

Cloyster's role depends on its matchup against the opposing team, but they're pretty much opposites in terms of when it sets up; it can eitehr either break through bulky foes like Suicune to facilitate a sweep or sweep itself, aided by partners, if similar threats are weakened for it. Cloyster can be used to punch holes in opposing teams, weakening or KOing bulky foes such as Hippowdon, Gliscor, Blissey, and Amoonguss. If the opponent has any of these Pokemon, setting up a Shell Smash as soon as possible is preferred to waiting for a sweeping opportunity. Use Icicle Spear liberally when breaking, as it is Cloyster's most reliable and powerful STAB move, hitting much of the tier neutrally or super effectively and pressuring less defensive Pokemon. Saving Explosion or Breakneck Blitz for bulkier Pokemon like Suicune allows Cloyster's teammates to sweep late-game. Explosion can also generate momentum for Cloyster's teammates. Cloyster should avoid taking damage before it sets up if wanting to sweep, so bring it in after a teammate has fainted, on a teammate's slow Volt Switch or U-turn, or on a predicted double switch to avoid unnecessary residual damage. It is best to set up on Pokemon that can't damage Cloyster much, such as Blissey and Hippowdon, or on a forced switch to eliminate the possibility of Cloyster getting KOed before it can break teams. Avoid setting up a Shell Smash if you want to sweep with Cloyster when foes that take little from all of Cloyster's attacks, such as Alomomola, have not been weakened or KOed. Breakneck Blitz, while stronger than Icicle Spear, should be used only on foes that resist both of Cloyster's STAB moves, as it can only be used once, and Explosion should only be used as a last resort if sweeping, as it KOes Cloyster.

Team Options
========

Because Cloyster is weak to Stealth Rock and vulnerable to all other entry hazards, Defoggers such as Mega Altaria, Hydreigon, and Gliscor make good partners. Gliscor also provides the team with an Electric immunity. Entry hazard support from Pokemon like Gliscor and Cobalion is useful, as it allows Cloyster to secure more KOs, thus breaking the opposing team more easily. Slow U-turn and Volt Switch users, such as Scizor and Rotom-C, bring Cloyster in safely so it avoids damage. Pokemon that can deal with special attackers make good partners for Cloyster, such as Mega Aerodactyl to take care of Serperior and Hippowdon to beat Mega Manectric, which can easily outspeed an unboosted Cloyster and KO it. Mega Manectric can also pivot into a set-up Cloyster due to Intimidate, and setting up a second time can be very risky. Hippowdon and Swampert can also take Bullet Punch from Scizor, which threatens a set-up Cloyster due to its lowered Defense. Fighting-type checks, such as Latias and Gliscor, pressure common Fighting-types like Breloom, Ifernape Infernape, and Lucario, which have access to strong super effective priortiy in Mach Punch and Vacuum Wave. Choice Scarf users such as Chandelure and Latias make good partners, as the former provides Memento, giving Cloyster a free turn to set up, while the latter provides Healing Wish, allowing a weakened Cloyster to set up and break again.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A Focus Sash suicide lead set can be run with Spikes and Toxic Spikes, but it's very slow, crippled by Taunt, and pressued by other leads. Ice Shard can be run on the main set for priority; however, at +2, Cloyster outspeeds everything that it would hit with Ice Shard to hit with Icicle Spear. This is also rendered ineffective by the fact that Cloyster takes very little damage from common priority moves such as Aqua Jet and Ice Shard. Rapid Spin can also be run, but Cloyster is volnerable vulnerable to entry hazards, limiting its effectiveness as a spinner. Liquidation is another option to capitalize on Cloyster's higher Attack stat, but it means that Cloyster lacks a reliable way to deal with some physically defensive Pokemon like Doublade and Mega Aggron. Rock Blast can be run to allow Cloyster to hit Mantine harder.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Offensive Pressure**: Due to Cloyster’s poor defensive typing and lackluster Special Defense, it is pressured by many common offensive threats, such as Mega Manectric, Serperior, and Latias, when unboosted. These Pokemon can outright KO Cloyster or force it out, stopping it from setting up and breaking.

**Status**: Burns from Pokemon such as Alomomola halve Cloyster’s Attack stat and limit its breaking ability. Poison wears Cloyster down over time, reducing its effectiveness as a breaker. Paralysis halves Cloyster’s Speed, meaning it can be outsped and OHKOed by Pokemon that it can usually deal with at +2.

**Bulky Water-types**: Most bulky Water-types, excluding Swampert and Mantine, can stop Cloyster from attempting to sweep with its STAB moves but are vulnerable to being broken through by Breakneck Blitz or Explosion. Foes uch such as Alomomola and Suicune take very little from Cloyster’s STAB moves and can only be removed through Explosion and Breakneck Blitz, which can both be stopped by Protect. Quagsire does not resist any of Cloyster’s moves, but Unaware renders Cloyster’s Shell Smash boosts useless. Empoleon can also wall Cloyster due to resisting Explosion and Breakneck Blitz, but it can be worn down easily due to a lack of recovery.

**Entry Hazards**: Cloyster's Ice typing leaves it with a weakness to Stealth Rock, limiting the number of times that it can switch in. Toxic Spikes wear Cloyster down with poison damage each turn, limiting its effectiveness as a wallbreaker and making it more and more vulnerable to priority. Sticky Web on the field means that Choice Scarf users such as Infernape and Hydreigon outspeed Cloyster and can KO it.

1/2

Fireflame

Silksong when
is a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
How come my analyses take a month to GP check but yours take a day :(

Remove Add Comments (AC)= add comma (RC)= remove comma (AH)= add hyphen (RH)= remove hyphen
[OVERVIEW]

Cloyster's niche lies in its access to Shell Smash, which makes it a very threatening breaker when set up, able to threaten almost every common archetype at +2. Skill Link solidifies this niche, giving Cloyster access to a powerful, spammable physical Ice-type STAB move in Icicle Spear. However, Cloyster needs a lot of team support to be able to function effectively, meaning it faces competition from other setup sweepers like Azumarill and Scizor. It also faces competition from Barbaracle as a Shell Smash sweeper due to Barbaracle’s Barbaracle's superior typing. It Cloyster (avoid possible confusion) suffers from a lackluster defensive typing, giving it common weaknesses to Electric, Grass, and Fighting as well as a weakness to the ever-present Stealth Rock. This makes it very difficult to find setup opportunities. Despite its good Defense, it can be worn down very easily before setting up,(RC) and it can easily be KOed at -1, and its poor Special Defense means that almost every unresisted special attack can OHKO it. It also struggles to break through common defensive Pokemon like Alomomola and Quagsire, which has access to Unaware.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Shell Smash boosts Cloyster's Attack, Special Attack, and Speed, allowing it to become a threatening wallbreaker. (technically anything that does damage to an opposing Pokemon via an attacking move can be considered a "breaker" during that instance) Icicle Spear hits common threats such as Gliscor, Serperior, and Latias super effectively, and the move threatens many Pokemon that don't resist it, such as Blissey and Alolan Muk, when Cloyster is boosted. Hydro Pump hits physically defensive Pokemon such as Scizor and Ice-resistant Pokemon such as Cobalion and Doublade harder than any of Cloyster's other moves. Explosion hits Water-types like Azumarill and Suicune, which resist Cloyster's STAB moves, hard, and it also pressures foes with an extremely powerful attack. It is also useful to eliminate bulkier foes and generate momentum for Cloyster's teammates to come in and sweep late-game; when combined with Normalium Z, it is turned into a strong Breakneck Blitz—while weaker than the base move, it can still dent opposing walls and give Cloyster a chance to sweep itself.

Set Details
========

252 Attack EVs maximize Cloyster's offensive presence, allowing it to threaten common Pokemon such as Serperior and Latias more effectively. 252 Speed EVs allow Cloyster to outspeed the entire unboosted metagame at +2 as well as Choice Scarf users such as Hydreigon and Infernape. A Naive nature maximizes Cloyster's Speed while not damaging either of its attacking stats. Normalium Z turns Explosion into a 200-Base Power Breakneck Blitz; however, a Life Orb can also be used to give all of Cloyster’s Cloyster's attacks more power at the cost of wearing Cloyster down very quickly.

Usage Tips
========

Cloyster's role depends on its matchup against the opposing team,(RC) but they're pretty much opposites in terms of when it sets up; (not really necessary imo. Also the "they're" isn't referencing anything because "Cloyster", "role", "matchup", and "opposing team" are all singular) it can eitehr either break through bulky foes like Suicune to facilitate a sweep or sweep itself, aided by partners, if similar threats are weakened for it. Cloyster can be used to punch holes in opposing teams, weakening or KOing bulky foes such as Hippowdon, Gliscor, Blissey, and Amoonguss. If the opponent has any of these Pokemon, setting up a Shell Smash as soon as possible is preferred to over waiting for a sweeping an opportunity to sweep. Use Icicle Spear liberally when breaking, as it is Cloyster's most reliable and powerful STAB move, hitting much of the tier neutrally or super effectively and pressuring less defensive Pokemon. Saving Explosion or Breakneck Blitz for bulkier Pokemon like Suicune allows Cloyster's teammates to sweep late-game. Explosion can also generate momentum for Cloyster's teammates. Cloyster should avoid taking damage before it sets up if wanting it wants to sweep, so bring it in after a teammate has fainted, on a teammate's slow Volt Switch or U-turn, or on a predicted double switch to avoid unnecessary residual damage. It is best to set up on Pokemon that can't damage Cloyster much, such as Blissey and Hippowdon, or on a forced switch to eliminate the possibility of Cloyster getting KOed before it can break teams. Avoid setting up a Shell Smash if you want to sweep with Cloyster when foes that take little damage from all of Cloyster's attacks, such as Alomomola, have not been weakened or KOed. Breakneck Blitz, while stronger than Icicle Spear, should be used only on foes that resist both of Cloyster's STAB moves, as it can only be used once, and Explosion should only be used as a last resort if sweeping, as it KOes Cloyster.

Team Options
========

Because Cloyster is weak to Stealth Rock and vulnerable to all other entry hazards, Defoggers such as Mega Altaria, Hydreigon, and Gliscor make good partners. Gliscor also provides the team with an Electric immunity. Entry hazard support from Pokemon like Gliscor and Cobalion is useful, as it allows Cloyster to secure more KOs, thus breaking the opposing team more easily. Slow U-turn and Volt Switch users, such as Scizor and Rotom-C, bring Cloyster in safely so it avoids damage. Pokemon that can deal with special attackers make good partners for Cloyster, such as Mega Aerodactyl to take care of Serperior and Hippowdon to beat Mega Manectric, which can easily outspeed an unboosted Cloyster and KO it,(AC) make good partners for Cloyster. Mega Manectric can also pivot into a set-up Cloyster due to Intimidate, and setting up a second time can be very risky. Hippowdon and Swampert can also take Bullet Punch from Scizor, which threatens a set-up Cloyster due to its lowered Defense. Fighting-type checks, such as Latias and Gliscor, pressure common Fighting-types like Breloom, Infernape, and Lucario, which have access to strong super effective priortiy priority in Mach Punch and Vacuum Wave. Choice Scarf users such as Chandelure and Latias make good partners, as the former provides Memento, giving Cloyster a free turn to set up, while the latter provides Healing Wish, allowing a weakened Cloyster to set up and break again.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A Focus Sash suicide lead set can be run with Spikes and Toxic Spikes, but it's very slow, crippled by Taunt, and pressued pressured by other leads. Ice Shard can be run on the main set for priority; however, at +2, Cloyster outspeeds everything that it would hit with Ice Shard to hit with Icicle Spear. This is also rendered ineffective by the fact that Cloyster takes very little damage from common priority moves such as Aqua Jet and Ice Shard. Rapid Spin can also be run, but Cloyster is vulnerable to entry hazards, limiting its effectiveness as a spinner. Liquidation is another option to capitalize on Cloyster's higher Attack stat, but it means that Cloyster lacks a reliable way to deal with some physically defensive Pokemon like Doublade and Mega Aggron. Rock Blast can be run to allow Cloyster to hit Mantine harder.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Offensive Pressure**: Due to Cloyster’s Cloyster's poor defensive typing and lackluster Special Defense, it is pressured by many common offensive threats, such as Mega Manectric, Serperior, and Latias, when unboosted. These Pokemon can outright KO Cloyster or force it out, stopping it from setting up and breaking.

**Status**: Burns from Pokemon such as Alomomola halve Cloyster’s Cloyster's Attack stat and limit its wallbreaking ability. Poison wears Cloyster down over time, reducing its effectiveness as a wallbreaker. Paralysis halves Cloyster’s Cloyster's Speed, meaning it can be outsped and OHKOed by Pokemon that it can usually deal with at +2. (I would add a couple of examples)

**Bulky Water-types**: Most bulky Water-types, excluding Swampert and Mantine, can stop Cloyster from attempting to sweep with its STAB moves but are vulnerable to being broken through by Breakneck Blitz or Explosion. Foes such as Alomomola and Suicune take very little damage from Cloyster’s Cloyster's STAB moves and can only be removed through Explosion and or Breakneck Blitz, which can both be stopped by Protect. Quagsire does not resist any of Cloyster’s Cloyster's moves, but Unaware renders Cloyster’s Cloyster's Shell Smash boosts useless. Empoleon can also wall Cloyster due to resisting Explosion and Breakneck Blitz, but it can be worn down easily due to a lack of recovery.

**Entry Hazards**: Cloyster's Ice typing leaves it with a weakness to Stealth Rock, limiting the number of times that it can switch in. Toxic Spikes wear Cloyster down with poison damage each turn, limiting its effectiveness as a wallbreaker and making it more and increasingly more vulnerable to priority. Sticky Web on the field means that Choice Scarf users such as Infernape and Hydreigon outspeed Cloyster at +2 and can KO it.
GP 2/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)