Complete and Comprehensive Battle Spot Statistics // Never Use The PGL Again!

Here it is: http://BattleSpotStats.com/

It has data for all seasons, 1 through 14 for XY and 7 through 14 for ORAS for Single, Double, Triple, Rotation and Special battles, as well as the global 'All' ranking (same as 'All Matches' on the GL). The data for each Pokémon is the data that I get from the GL, at the moment this doesn't include the amount of times a Pokémon, item or move has been used. The original python code calculates this based on all of the percentages, I could do something similar, but I decided to put the basic page online first.

Like I said before it's possible that the layout looks awful on your monitors, if that's the case please send a PM my way and include a screenshot. Also send a PM if you encounter a bug or error, if possible include details about what you did when you encountered the problem and a screenshot. I've tested the site, but there's only so much testing I can do while also working on it. If you have ideas for features let me know, and I'll see if I'll add them. In other words any and all kinds of feedback are very welcome, I want this to be awesome.

The pages don't include much detail on each Pokémon, as I want the site to be about the usage stats themselves (at least for the moment). Instead I linked to the Bulbapedia page for a Pokémon, and for Single battles to the Smogon analysis if it's available (I plan on doing something like that for the other formats when they become available). I might add a few basic details such as base stats, but I can't access those from the GL data (the type is included in that data, which is why I've added it to the page).

Currently my list of planned features is reasonably short: add 'used X amount of times', add a description for each of the Special seasons (e.g. 14 is VGC16, 13 is Festive Feud, etc.), and adding a None row in the list of moves/items if the percentages don't add up to 100% (like the GL does, although knowing that 0.00606740891% of the Garchomp use less than four moves isn't exactly useful, it makes sense to show for completeness sake).

There might still be one or two Pokémon missing in the ratings. The numbers shown are accurate, but before I noticed that some obscure alternate forms were missing (like Basculin and Wormadam), it would jump from #595 to #597 for example. I think I have all of them covered (at least the ones that aren't banned), but let me know if you notice an unexpected jump in numbering.

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
This is actually the best thing. It's great being able to see the usage of stuff just under Top 50, everything down to about 70 or so looks like good representation of somewhat relevant and viable threats. Metagross, Umbreon, Magnezone, Weavile(!), Jellicent, Latias, Blastoise, Bisharp, a bunch of interesting Pokemon with clearly visible niches. Most notably a lot of the better ORAS Megas that people tend to ask about like Metagross, Sableye and Altaria (also Latias) are hovering around this lower 50-70 range which is interesting. Of course I see no shortage of viable options as far down as 200th or so but regardless it's awesome being able to see how much how little something is being used for once. Makes it much easier to tell if something uncommon sounds viable or not.

Diggersby is to low, why is it below Lanturn and Lapras? It's a flawless counter to Mega Gengar with an AV, immune to ghost, resistant to poison, and dealing huge damage with EQ even burned.

Funny how low Lando-I is. Before the pentagon rule Sheer a Force ones were the worst, but now it doesn't see the light of day.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This is amazing and looks awesome. Maybe if the darker blue colour was a little lighter so you can read the black text easier would be good, otherwise it's perfect.

Made this its own thread and stickied it. You the real MVP hetoord

For some reason, the stats and pokemon aren't appearing for me. After pressing show stats, I see "data for in battle season" for like 10 seconds then it disappears. I've tried it on different browsers but the result is the same. Has anyone experienced the same thing?

EDIT: Now it is saying "something went wrong with your request" after like 2 minutes.

Last edited:
Funny how low Lando-I is. Before the pentagon rule Sheer a Force ones were the worst, but now it doesn't see the light of day.
What's up with Lando anyway? It says 80% uses Sheer Force, in ORAS season 14 Singles, which is impossible. The fact that the percentages are all round numbers (50%, 20%, 80%) plus the fact that it has defeated only 2 Pokémon and only got defeated by 2 Pokémon makes me think it has been used 5 times, using Sheer Force four of those five times. In other words, it's a cheater.

This is amazing and looks awesome. Maybe if the darker blue colour was a little lighter so you can read the black text easier would be good, otherwise it's perfect.

Made this its own thread and stickied it. You the real MVP hetoord
Thanks! I changed the dark blue color slightly, I think this does look a little better but I'm not great with colors. I'll happily tweak them further.

For some reason, the stats and pokemon aren't appearing for me. After pressing show stats, I see "data for in battle season" for like 10 seconds then it disappears. I've tried it on different browsers but the result is the same. Has anyone experienced the same thing?

EDIT: Now it is saying "something went wrong with your request" after like 2 minutes.
It's really hard to problem solve these kinds of things remotely. It gives that error if the file with statistics can't be loaded, this could be because of various reasons. Opening the developer tools in your browser (usually with F12) would help, the developer tools all have a few different tabs, I'm interested in the network tab. With that open refresh the page, at some point you should see a request to a file with a name like "data-114-1.txt" (if you haven't selected a different game, format or season it should be that, otherwise the numbers will be different). If you click on that you should see the error response, again with a few tabs. It would be great if you could send the text under the Header and Response tabs to me in a private message.

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Pentagon Lando-Is are supposed to be Sand Force because Sheer Force is gen 5 only. And Sand Force means it's completely garbage.

Judging by the rounded percentages it seems like a hacked naive sheer force lando was used 4 times, and a legit adamant one was used once.

No raw count btw? The VGC version seems to have that. EDIT: just read your planned feature list lol. my bad

There is actually a different problem now but it isn't as big as the previous one. It loads properly now and I can see the pokemon but it takes some time (about 5 minutes or so to appear). I actually don't mind this but if you know of a way to make it load faster, just tell me. Also, I don't think I have actually thanked you for doing this lol. This makes battling and team building so much easier since the data is easy to access so thanks for taking time out of your life and doing this for all the battle spotters. It is appreciated :).

EDIT: Now it is loading fast as well so there is basically no problem.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

I had the same thing happen to me while using the shitty wifi at my girlfriend's place, as soon as I started using cellular data on my phone (much faster) it worked fine. I think it might be because the request times out and just cancels itself or something. I haven't been able to check the devtools though because been on mobile all day...

As for a feature, would it be possible to add a search function? Right now you have to scroll to the Pokemon you want and click on it, or type "/#pokemonname" in the address bar. Only really annoying for stuff that is way down the usage list which requires scrolling, or if you don't know how much something is used off the top of your head, but it would make it way easier for new players!

I'll have to take a look at the timeout, apparently there's a different default timeout for each browser if I don't specify a timeout manually. For now I've added a timeout of 3 minutes, I'm not sure if that helps (or is still too little time). If anything else fails I could split the data up in several files, which could individually load faster.

Yeah, I'll add a search bar. For now I recommend using your browser's search function (ctrl/cmd + f) if you want to find a Pokémon quickly, but it wouldn't be too hard to add. I think I'll add searching before any of the other features.

I've added searching/filtering to the site (you might have to refresh the site before the search bar shows up). It's still a work in progress, I'd especially like some feedback on how fast it is for you guys. It works for Pokémon names (e.g. Typing Gar will find Garchomp and Gardevoir), moves (e.g. typing Outrage finds Pokémon that have used Outrage), natures, abilities, held items and types.

The search simply checks the beginning of your input, so typing Chomp won't find Garchomp at the moment, but I could add that in the future. Searching for dual types also works, just put a / between the two types, the order of them doesn't matter, and you don't have to spell them out entirely, Gr/Dr will find Dragon/Ground types Flygon and Garchomp for example.

Capitalization doesn't matter, KofFinG is a horrible way to use capitalization, but you'll find Koffing even if you write like that. Clearing the search field shows all ranked Pokémon, you can do that either by selecting the text in the search bar and removing it, but I've added a clear button for your convenience.

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
Would it be difficult to add Battle Competition stats?:
http://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/competitions/
http://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/competitions/4040/

They are probably in the same format as the Battle Spot Data. Also, the data for a tournament doesn't change after being released so results can be permanently cached after being read once.

Edit:
Also one of the obscure formes you are missing is Cosplay Pikachu with no costume. It is still counted separately from normal Pikachu.

Last edited:
I've added Cosplay Pikachu to the list of forms, it'll be added once I update the data.

I haven't tried to get the battle competition data, but it looks like you're right. I'll try to add those soon.

You are the coolest cat around. Might I suggest we get sparky (if he still works) to have this as a command?

It's nice to see the lower stuff, not just e top 12, which don't change much(Garchomp will likely always be #1.) Good of you to make this:)

Yes, at least somewhat. There's no usage amount or usage rate for Pokémon in the GL data, but I'm working on reverse calculating those from the percentages shown, but that's an estimate at best though. Based on those + the totals I could calculate a percentage, however I'm not exactly sure what the metric for that percentage should be. Usage for a Pokémon / Total Pokémon used results in about 5% of Garchomp, as in of all Pokémon used in battle (not those that are on the team but don't actually fight), 5% is a Garchomp. I think it would be more meaningful to know what percentage of teams has Garchomp, for example, which would be roughly 30% if I simply multiply each percentage by 6. However I'm not sure if that's actually correct, that would mean there's 600% of Pokémon used? I'm not that good with maths.

Anyway for now I'm still trying to see how my way of calculating usage of each specific Pokémon works out. I've just downloaded the new stats but I'm experiencing some trouble uploading them to the server. I'll have to try uploading again when I get home from work. I should also probably look into automating the process because the stats update while I'm asleep, and then I have to go to work, so manually downloading and uploading isn't ideal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)