Core Crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Umm, Regigigas takes 54% min from Moltres's LO FB, so it's definitely not a counter. Moltres's FB followed by Kabutop's Stone Edge kills Regigigas, so it's not even a good check.
The damage calculator must be off then, as it gave me the stated max damage... Or I forgot something. Will kook into it...

Edit: just checked using another calculator and got 270ish rather than 212... My bad, not going to use that calculator again...

Two NU pokes I like with slightly warped sets...

Luxray @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Def / 76 SAtk / 180 HP
Relaxed Nature
- Wild Charge
- Ice Fang
- Roar
- Volt Switch

Wailord @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Water Veil
EVs: 124 Spd / 180 SAtk / 204 SDef
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Water Spout
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Luxray can switch into anything Kabutops does thanks to Intimidate, never be 2HKOd, and can OHKO back with both Wild Charge and Volt Switch. Volt Switch is a nicer option because if your opponent wanted to switch into Moltres, you could bring in Wailord safely who can promptly clean up both 'mons.

Wailord can switch into any attack of Moltres with its gargantuan HP stat, and with a scarf will outspeed and OHKO with Hydro Pump, or Water Spout if you were lukcy enough to catch it on the Roost. Both attacks will 2hko Kabutops as well (a full powered Water Spout sporting a 50% chance for OHKO)

^Doesn't compromise the core's ability to counter Moltres + Kabutops, but I think you're forgetting Kabutops gets SS as well.

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 228 Def / 252 HP / 28 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Rock Slide
- Encore

Magcargo @ Leftovers / Focus Sash
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 232 Spd / 24 HP / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Shell Smash
- Fire Blast
- AncientPower
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Poliwrath can switch into Kabutops with ease, set up a Substitute, and Focus Punch it for a OHKO. If Kabutops Swords Dances on the switch, Poliwrath will take <50% from Stone Edge and will be able to set up a slow Substitute, and proceed to FP. If Kabutops switches out, FP+Rock Slide will KO Moltres. Hurricane must hit for Moltres to win, but if it does...

Macargo is not 2HKO'd by any of Moltres's moves, and can set up a Shell Smash, outspeed, and OHKO Moltres and Kabutops with AncientPower and HP Grass respectively. With Focus Sash, Macargo can set up against Kabutops as well, but cannot switch into him.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Lol, creative noms, senegal and MysticNova! That Luxray in particular is a nice find!

You should pretty much assume SR to be up on your side, so Mantine is not a reliable counter.

Well as I neither considered the swift swim boost Kabutops would get from rain nor that we were to assume Stealth Rock on our side of the field, I have edited my entry. Sorry Mantine!

Specially Defensive Regirock is here to save us all!

Set:

Sp. Defsive Regirock@Lefties
Any ability (currently, only Clear Body).
EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 SpDef
Careful Nature
- Curse/Sneaky Stones
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Drain Punch

You can slam Moltres with SEdge, and take pretty much everything fairly well. Curse on predicted Kabutops switches (and everywhere else (dem defenses!)), Sneaky Stones because Sneaky Stones, DPunch to recover any health (SE hit on Kaby!), and the two attacking moves for QuakeEdge and STAB. Fun times all around. I don't believe Moltres can 2HKO you with anything, and lolphysicalattacksKabutops.

Keep in mind, I haven't done the damage calcs, so feel free to prove me wrong.

Edit: never mind, I was proved wrong.

Set:

Careful Nature
- Curse/Sneaky Stones
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Drain Punch

You can slam Moltres with SEdge, and take pretty much everything fairly well. Curse on predicted Kabutops switches (and everywhere else (dem defenses!)), Sneaky Stones because Sneaky Stones, DPunch to recover any health (SE hit on Kaby!), and the two attacking moves for QuakeEdge and STAB. Fun times all around. I don't believe Moltres can 2HKO you with anything, and lolphysicalattacksKabutops.

Keep in mind, I haven't done the damage calcs. This could be a fail.
Sorry IsTheCakeReallyaLie, but Regirock doesn't actually counter the core:

252 Atk Jolly Life Orb Kabutops Waterfall vs. 252HP/0Def Regirock = 46.98-55.22% (an assured 2HKO after Stealth Rock)

Even if Stealth Rock isn't down, Kabutops is still going to get two hits in, and Moltres can finish the job:

252 SpAtk Timid Life Orb Moltres Hidden Power Grass vs. 252HP/252SpDef+ Regirock = 38.46-45.6%

...which is enough to finish off Regirock, since it's going to be at around 20% max.

Set:

Careful Nature
- Curse/Sneaky Stones
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Drain Punch

Keep in mind, I haven't done the damage calcs, so feel free to prove me wrong.

Edit: never mind, I was proved wrong.
Okay, working off what you already have...

Doing damage calcs, Rock only takes about 100 damage either way on switch in on Moltres so he can counter Moltres and all you need is a Kabutops counter to have a counter to the core. Not as nice as a 2 for 1 counter but with what's left...

Try out Imtimidate Stantler, as Intimidate cuts that attack down, he can out speed and has Thunder/bolt and Wild Charge to hit him with. Or can lay down dual screens maybe.. Will elaborate later.

Specially Defensive Regirock (and now his buddy!) is here to save us all!

Set:

Careful Nature
- Curse/Sneaky Stones
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Drain Punch

Walls Moltres, can take a hit or two from Kabs.

Set:

IntimiLer (StantDate?)@Choice Band/Scarf
Intimidate
Jolly
- Jump Kick
- Return
- Wild Charge
- Megahorn

Pretty much EX-PLAINS itself. Jump Kick or Wild Charge after a switch for Intimidate.

Tangrowth @ Choice Specs
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature
- Focus Blast
- Sleep Powder
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Rock]

Munchies (Munchlax) @ Eviolite
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 232 SDef / 76 HP / 200 Def
Calm Nature
- Body Slam
- Whirlwind
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Taken straigfht from my current RU team. Munchlax is a true fallen star and is actually very threatening. Choice specs tangrowth laughs at kabutops and nukes it with leaf storm

Sceptile (F) @ Rock Gem Trait: Overgrow
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SDef / 128 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Rock]

idfk does this work?

Discounted peeps who used mons that were already used; ran some damage calcs, and here's what we're looking at:

Molk: +1
TropiOUs: +1
EonX-: +1
SilentVerse: +2
melvni: +2
spuds4ever: +1
Pocket: +2
senegal: +1
MysticNova: +1

Solid work, everyone. Core Crisis should be back for another round in a few days, but I'm locking it for now~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)