Cretacerus Art

Cretacerus

Survivor
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Reactions Contest Winner
After half a year, I can finally post an update with some new Flying Press art. The last couple of months have been way too busy!

Brick by Brick: Wallbreakers in USM OU
Here, I had an opportunity to depict the true horrors of a Fairy type rampage which I couldn't pass up. Even the town walls couldn't save the poor innocent villagers from certain doom! The art was kept sketchier than usual and was drawn on a single layer to retain the dynamic of the original sketch as much as possible.
Mawile_klein.jpg

Mawile_bak.jpg

Lost in Translation - Move names from Japanese to English
For this fun article I decided to go with a quick image of Bunneary using Splash, which was done mostly in one evening. For bonus points, there's also a version with both of them splashing in the mud.
Buneary_water.jpg
Buneary_mud.jpg

And finally, a long overdue revenge post for the Battle thread after Ciran's Rapidash impaled my triple hatted Pawniard from the post above lol.

Last edited:

Cretacerus

Survivor
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Reactions Contest Winner
Loving the Splashing Buneary! Are you still using Paint.NET, or did you stick with Wacom once you got it in that bundle?
Thanks! All these images were drawn in the program Corel Painter Essentials with a Wacom tablet. Overall, it's much more convenient and faster, especially since it allows me to sketch directly on the PC instead of scanning it hand-drawn references. And I can also draw actual backgrounds now. ;)
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Here are a couple of Pokemon variants I've been working on. Sorry for the bad quality of Magcargo, but I couldn't figure out a proper way of doing the shading on its main body.

Corsola_small.jpg

Corsola-Variant
Typing:
/

Stats: 65 / 55 / 95 / 55 / 95 / 35 (BST: 400)
Abilities: Hustle / Natural Cure /
Regenerator
These Corsola lack natural predators where they live, and thus have adapted gaudy structures that arent useful for defense. Groups of smaller pokemon bundle atop its head, perching on it as it relaxes them with soothing aromas.
Based on table corals.

Crystalix_small.jpg

Steelix-Variant / Crystallix
Typing:
/

Stats: 75 / 95 / 140 / 55 / 55 / 95 (BST: 510)
Abilities:
Rock Head / Sturdy / Sheer Force
Its body has recrystalized to withstand the intense pressure and heat of the earth's mantle. It is rarely seen near the surface, as the minerals in its hide become unstable under atmospheric pressure.
Based on peridotite, which makes up most of the earth's mantle (in contrast to regular Steelix's earth core theme).

Magcargo_small.jpg

Magcargo-Variant
Typing:
/

Stats: 60 / 50 / 120 / 90 / 80 / 30 (BST: 430)
Abilities:
Regenerator / Flame Body / Shell Armor
These Magcargo were bred to assist with metalworking in the early industrial age. Their core temperature approaches that of the sun, allowing them to easily extract previously inaccessable metals from their ores.

Cretacerus

Survivor
Reactions Contest Winner
New article art, and new art program!

While working on the article art for Filling a Niche: PU Pokemon in Monotype I decided to try out the program Clip Paint Studio, since it appears to be more suitable for clean outlined worked compared to Painter Essentials. Namely, it provides lineart stabilisation, transparency and clipping layers which were all incredibly useful for this drawing and allowed to me experiment with things like subtle textures. I'm also quite positively surprised by the relatively good blending tool the program has to offer.

Enjoy the epic inter-tier Rock type team-up! :D

Shuckle_small.png

EDIT: Included the original sketch with Rhyperior.
Shuckle_sketch.jpg

Last edited:

Cretacerus

Survivor
Reactions Contest Winner
Here are some quick drawings of fossil Pokemon which took around 2 hours each. I'm planning on opening commissions soon, mainly as an additional source of motivation to work on my skills, so these will act as examples for the sketchy art style in the price range of around $10. ;)

Archen_small.png
Kabutops_small.png

Also, I finally managed to update the OP with all the drawings from the past year. Phew.

Last edited:

Cretacerus

Survivor
Reactions Contest Winner
Quick snow bunny design for the ongoing PS Art Room Contest featuring fake Alola variants. Enjoy!

Azumarill-Alola
Typing:
/

Stats: 100 / 50 / 80 / 60 / 80 / 50 (BST: 420)
Abilities: Thick Fat / Huge Power / Sap Sipper
They build gigantic tunnel systems into the snow housing hundrets of individuals each. Their fluffy fur has a distinctive smell of chocolate mint which is especially strong during mating season in winter.
Based on an Arctic hare and plush hoodies with bobble.

Last edited:

Cretacerus

Survivor
Reactions Contest Winner
Thanks, guys! (fossil evidence is the best form of evidence)

I noticed I never posted my logo for the Smogon dex in here. Turns out the style differs quite drastically from the other dex logos so far, so it might still need to be readjusted and simplified once all the artwork is in.

And below once again some fun drawings for the battle and picture telephone threads.

Cretacerus

Survivor
Reactions Contest Winner
Do you have a page for commision prices? I need a new F-Mongoliensis avatar and I would be willing to pay you.
Oh hey there. It would be my absolute honor to take on the great F. mongoliensis himself! I just hope I can do him justice in all his prehistoric glory. *_*
Is there any particular pose or expression you'd like for the avatar?

PS: I haven't gotten around opening comission just yet, so let's just consider it an art trade for my Cranidoraptor avatar. ;)

Oh hey there. It would be my absolute honor to take on the great F. mongoliensis himself! I just hope I can do him justice in all his prehistoric glory. *_*
Is there any particular pose or expression you'd like for the avatar?

PS: I haven't gotten around opening comission just yet, so let's just consider it an art trade for my Cranidoraptor avatar. ;)
Oh that would work, can you make him pouncing? HONK!

Oi, Creta, out of curiosity, are you back to using Paint.NET again? Or was the Falkneraptor done on Corel? Due to your improvements, it's harder to tell which medium you're using, but it's easier to recognize your style. You really know what you're doing with dino designs.

Do you still take art trades as well?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)