Cretacerus Art

Litra

Desire Sensor's favorite plaything
is an Artist Alumnus
Been meaning to make a post to compliment your art, but don't know how to word it aside from this. Oh good lord, it's beautiful! Seriously, I'd kill for your ability to make such clean pieces. As for that upcoming tutorial, cannot wait to see it even though I primarily use SAI.

Wow, your art is amazing! Could you do a new AVI or signature picture for me? You can draw whatever you feel like, though I'm partial to latios. Really, it doesn't matter, cause whatever you draw is AMAZING!

Cretacerus

Survivor
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Reactions Contest Winner
Wow, your art is amazing! Could you do a new AVI or signature picture for me? You can draw whatever you feel like, though I'm partial to latios. Really, it doesn't matter, cause whatever you draw is AMAZING!
Hey there, thanks a lot for the compliment, I really appreciate it!
However, I'm sorry to say that I won't be able to take any new requests anymore, since I already have a couple of other projects to work on, and university is about to start again. Hope you understand :(

Cretacerus

Survivor
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Reactions Contest Winner
Finally it's here ....
THE PAINT.NET TUTORIAL

Introduction

The goal of this tutorial is to be an introduction and detailed step-by-step guide to digital drawing with the basic art program Paint.NET.
Paint.NET is a free software for Microsoft Windows, and was developed to be a more powerful alternative to MS Paint. It retains most of the familiar layout, but additionally supports advanced functions such as transparency and layer work, which are essential for more complex images.

Why Paint.NET?
Paint.NET has the advantage of being easily accessible and very intuitive to use, especially if you have some prior experience with MS Paint. This makes it a great program for casual artists who don’t plan on purchasing an expensive art tablet and software.
However, expect the drawing process to be fairly time-intensive compared to using a drawing tablet, since working with the mouse requires high precision throughout the process. Therefore, some patience and dedication is needed for larger and more complex images, though the reward will be an especially clean and neat image. ;)

1. Sketch
Pencil Sketch
The initial pencil sketch is probably the most important part of the process, since it acts as base for all the other stages later on. Therefore, the format should be large enough for you to comfortably work on smaller details.

Transferring the Sketch into Paint.NET
Next, scan in the sketch or take a photo of it, and open the file with the program Paint.NET. The image size will be usually around 1000-2000px for an A5 format, while a good size for the final image would be around 600-800px depending on its complexity.
Since Paint.NET operates on a raster basis, the image can’t be scaled up without loss of quality, so it’s safer to work on the larger scale before scaling it down to the preferred size at the end of the process.
The Paint.NET screen should have three smaller windows opened named Tools, Colors and Layers. They will be needed in the process later on, and can be reopened with the icons on the top right of the main window if accidentally closed.

2. Lineart

Base Lineart
With the sketch acting as template, drawing the lineart is now pretty straight forward. First, we will create a new layer and rename it into “Lineart”. Make sure the new layer is in front of the sketch.

Lineart thickness
A slight variation in lineart thickness might not be very noticeable at first, but it does often make the image look more interesting and dynamic.
Unfortunately, Paint.NET doesn’t support any dedicated function to alter the lineart thickness regionally, so the effect has to be replicated manually by adding additional curves over the base lineart. This is best done on a separate layer, so those curves can be erased and edited if necessary without effecting the base lineart.

3. Colors
Coloring
Adding the base colors is probably the quickest part of the process, since the lineart makes it very simple to implement. Once again, we will create a new layer and rename it into “Colors”. The new layer should be moved behind the “Lineart” layer, so the outline can cover the edge of the colors.

4. Shading & Light Effects
Shading
Up to now, the process has been fairly straight forward, but the shading and lighting will prove to be a bit more challenging, and might need some practice. There are lots of different ways to create shading with the tools that Paint.NET provides, the following method is rather simple and very suitable to use with the mouse.
As always, we will create a new layer before starting, which we will name “Shading” and place in front of the “Colors” layer. At this point, it can also be helpful to mark the direction of the light source in the new layer.

Lighting
Lastly, some light effects are added for the finishing touch.

5. Background
While it might be difficult to paint concrete objects from scratch on Paint.NET, creating background sceneries is comparatively easy due to the existence of various helpful effects.

Gradient tool (Tools window)
In Color Mode, the Gradient tool allows you to create a transition between the two colors of your choice. It will start with the primary color and slowly blend into the secondary color in a linear or radial shape amongst others (top bar). If one of the colors is transparent, the other color will slowly fade out instead.
The sky in the following image was drawn with the Paintbrush tool, using different colors with low hardness and opacity and a large brush width, while the sun was created with the Shapes tool.
To add the glaring effect to the sun as seen in the second image, the Gradient tool can be used: set the primary color to white and the secondary color to transparent, and select the radial shape, in order to cause the white color to slowly fade away from a chosen center.

The Gradient tool includes a Transparency Mode as well (top bar), which causes the entire active layer or selection to fade out, allowing it to be blended with the underlying layer.

Radial blur (top bar > Effects)
This effect blurs the active layer or selection around a chosen center, which is useful for creating blurred sun rays. The Gradient tool in Transparency Mode was used to let the layer with the rays fade out radially around the sun.

Hue / Saturation adjustment (top bar > Adjustments)
This is probably one of the most useful functions in Paint.NET, as it allows you to edit the colors of the active layer or selection retrospectively. For example, the image above can be adjusted to depict a blue instead of an orange sky.

Twist distortion (top bar > Effects)
The twist distortion is a fun effect that twists the active layer or selection into a spiral around the chosen center. This can be used to create surreal effects for example in the sky, to make the background look more dynamic and interesting.
The sky was drawn with the Paintbrush tool similarly to above, and then edited with the Twist distortion, while the sun in the layer above remained unaffected.

Dents distortion (top bar > Effects)
This effect is meant to distort the active layer or selection as if it was reflected in turbulent water.
The flexible settings of this effect allow it to simulate a wide variety of different shapes, such as vegetation and flames.
The base of the following images was drawn with the Paintbrush tool, using different colors with low opacity, and a large brush width. To create the bushy look of the vegetation, simple clicks were used opposed to strokes in order to get multiple round forms.
After the distortion, details can still be added to the images like the sparks in the flames below

Hopefully this guide managed to shed some light into the process of creating digital art on Paint.NET.^^
If you still have any questions about the various functions and tools in Paint.NET, check out the Paint.NET documentation website, or simply shoot me a PM and I'll try my best to help. ;)

Since this is officially my 500th post, I'll also take this opportunity to make some shoutouts to people whose presence I enjoyed along my journey here on Smogon.

Smeargle's Studio
Integer Mova: As a long time CAP participant, you're the user I know the longest on this forum, and it's great to still see you around in both the CAP Project and the Smeargle's Studio. I've always enjoyed your particular art style, and hope this guide will be helpful in your attempt to learn a new art program.
Sparkl3y: I have to say, you're one of the most ambitious users I've met on this forum, and few people can claim to host an own YouTube channel, web comic, battling server, online sales site and who knows what else at your young age. However, with all these great projects and plans around, please make sure you'll never lose your passion for drawing, you definitely have the potential to become a much better artist that I could ever be. ;)
Rhythms: Well, knowing you and your need for attention, here's a tag for you as well (jk)^^
Ever since I knew you, you've been an active contributor to the community, and you probably hold the record for the most posts in community projects without getting a badge! I'm glad to hear you're now starting to do some serious art as well, and can't wait to see how my new avatar will turn out!
Sorry Sparkl3y...

Wi-Fi
Nelson Tangela: Hmm, it seems like my 0.5k post easily surpasses your 1k post, which is a shame. You better quit plotting for world domination right now, and start writing up an emotional essay about your Smogon history for your 1.5k ...
Reisuke: Thanks for being a battling partner whom I can utterly destroy in any tier, which is something everybody needs once in a while. Although I have to admit, I can't even hope to ever reach the spamming qualities you displayed on Nelson Tangela's profile, so I'll have to give you that. ;)
cant say: Going to return the tag here for being a great trading partner, and generously giving me my favorite Pokemon of all times when I was still new in the Wi-Fi forum and had nothing of value to trade. Your Timer Ball Cranidos was basically the foundation of the collection I have today.^^
Chesty: Just wanted to say, I've got lots of respect for all the effort you put into helping other users out, and the persistence in which you did this for the past year. You may not have gotten much in return, but I can at least give you this tag, so here you go! :P

Other cute users:
unfixable: I've always enjoyed your presence in the Smeargle's studios, and the kind comments you gave me when I had just started out with my art thread. You actually got me into starting to contribute to the Other Metagames forum three months ago, and it's really unfortunate how the events turned out after that. :(
anto: Well, what else can I say than that everybody likes you, and rightfully so! :P
You were Pre-Contributor when I got to know you in June, and now - 4 badges later - you're a site stuff, which I wouldn't have believed if I hadn't seen your amazing HTML skills with my own eyes! Keep up the good work!^^
DarkNostalgia: Last time I saw you was a crappy attempt at Google translated German on my profil page, hope you're doing alright! If you ever feel like writing an article again some day, please let me know.^^
Btw, I almost tagged the wrong user...
HeaLnDeaL: Last but not least, a great thanks and credit to HeaLnDeaL for proof-reading and helping with this tutorial. As an experienced user of Paint.NET himself, there was certainly the one or other thing I could learn from him. You're one of my favorite posters in the CAP forum, and I'm looking forward to working on the new project with you guys!^^

Last edited:
Yes, it's finally here!

It really helps a lot, and I'm happy to try and use it. I'm trying it again for one of my original characters that I'm updating right now, but I'm working on her lineart stage. Lineart does require precision with a mouse.

Hey there, thanks a lot for the compliment, I really appreciate it!
However, I'm sorry to say that I won't be able to take any new requests anymore, since I already have a couple of other projects to work on, and university is about to start again. Hope you understand :(
I understand. I'm in college too, and I'm really busy. Thanks for the reply, and keep drawing!

My favourite pieces are the two covers for The Smog (lol) and the PotW Garchomp, and I'm glad I was able to feature the former for the last two issues. In particular, I feel that the Aerodactyl vs Scizor image displays your creativity with poses and compositions.

Cretacerus

Survivor
Reactions Contest Winner
Hey guys,

Here's an update with a banner I've been working on for a while. The Pokeball designs were taken from the officials Dream World art, and actually fit in there really nicely.
Hope you like it, Fiat500! ;)

As can be seen, there's a lot going on in the image, with details here and there and the five individual characters each doing their own thing, so the image initially ran the risk of losing focus and looking like a big mess. The background actually helps a lot in this regard by drawing the attention of the viewer to the Pokeballs in the center, and giving the image much needed structure.

Below is a smaller and transparent version of the banner, which hopefully fits the guidelines of the Wi-Fi subforum.^^

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Here's an update with a banner I've been working on for a while. The Pokeball designs were taken from the officials Dream World art, and actually fit in there really nicely.
Hope you like it, Fiat500! ;)

As can be seen, there's a lot going on in the image, with details here and there and the five individual characters each doing their own thing, so the image initially ran the risk of losing focus and looking like a big mess. The background actually helps a lot in this regard by drawing the attention of the viewer to the Pokeballs in the center, and giving the image much needed structure.

Below is a smaller and transparent version of the banner, which hopefully fits the guidelines of the Wi-Fi subforum.^^
Honestly, I really love it. It looks great, just like I envisioned it when I sent you that terrible rough sketch xD

I'll be using it ASAP and hopefully opening my thread sometime soon when I get some decent SRs in Alpha Sapphire. Anyway, thanks so much again, and I hope you can at least accept a credit for anything on my thread (once it opens) in return!!

Keep up the good work :))

Cretacerus

Survivor
Reactions Contest Winner
Kutscher: I'm sorry, but I won't be able to do much art nowadays, since I'm quite busy with university work. As such, I won't be taking in any new requests probably until the next semester break.
___

Anyway, here's the Noibat Rhythms requested a while back. My avatar making skills aren't too great, so below are just cropped versions with different background colors.^^

Noibat_blau.jpg
Noibat_gelb.jpg
Noibat_pink.jpg

Last edited:
That "Garage Sale" banner is looking great, though I can see what you mean with the statement that the image was initially looking like it's going to lose its main focus. What did it for me would probably be the fact that the pokeballs were done in such detail, so they pulled my attention immediately and I practically couldn't decide which one to look at first. The warm background and cheerful facial expressions really contribute to this piece by making it one of those artworks that just put a smile on my face.

Regarding avatars, if you're planning to do them in the future (whether it be for an article or as a smogon avatar) the best way to go about it would be to just go for an up close perspective of the certain pokemon right away rather than drawing its whole body and then cropping it. It's generally a better approach and makes the whole process more efficient.

What I originally wanted to say a long while ago and never got around to actually do it was kudos on taking your time to make that guide! I'm sure it's going to be useful for a good amount of people that unfortunately can't afford drawing tablets and want to get into digital art. After all, I have deep respect for anyone making illustrations around here while using their mouse only.

Cretacerus

Survivor
Reactions Contest Winner
That "Garage Sale" banner is looking great, though I can see what you mean with the statement that the image was initially looking like it's going to lose its main focus. What did it for me would probably be the fact that the pokeballs were done in such detail, so they pulled my attention immediately and I practically couldn't decide which one to look at first. The warm background and cheerful facial expressions really contribute to this piece by making it one of those artworks that just put a smile on my face.

Regarding avatars, if you're planning to do them in the future (whether it be for an article or as a smogon avatar) the best way to go about it would be to just go for an up close perspective of the certain pokemon right away rather than drawing its whole body and then cropping it. It's generally a better approach and makes the whole process more efficient.

What I originally wanted to say a long while ago and never got around to actually do it was kudos on taking your time to make that guide! I'm sure it's going to be useful for a good amount of people that unfortunately can't afford drawing tablets and want to get into digital art. After all, I have deep respect for anyone making illustrations around here while using their mouse only.
Haha, thanks a lot for the feedback! The recent banner was the most complex image I've done so far, so there's definitely a lot I can still learn in terms of composition. But I'm glad to hear you liked it.^^
As for Noibat, it is a real challenge to put it into a portrait format with that gigantic ears taking up most of the space. Cutting of most of the body and wings made it look very unbalanced in my sketches, so I opted to just drawing out the entire thing and cropping it down as far as possible. I do agree though that the approach you mentioned is way better for any mon with a sensible Head/Body ratio. :P

----------

Anyway, here's a new banner I made for my upcoming PU RMT. I'll probably get to work on it only by next weekend due to being very busy, but wanted to at least get the image out for now. Feel free to leave any critique and feedback, so I can improve on it before posting the RMT. ;)
Meganium_test.jpg

Nice work dude! Mind if I give some suggestions?

I love the way your colour your works, from the colour choice to the shading, to the backgrounds. However, when I was looking at your PU RMT piece, with the meganium, Vibrava, and Relicanth, I noticed that you don't really have any highlights on the pokemon. I feel like without any highlights, there isn't as much "oomph" in the piece. Plus, with a creature like Meganium who's reptillian, and Relicanth still probably having water slicked on his body, it would make sense that they'd have dynamic highlights on their skin.

Cretacerus

Survivor
Reactions Contest Winner
Nice work dude! Mind if I give some suggestions?

I love the way your colour your works, from the colour choice to the shading, to the backgrounds. However, when I was looking at your PU RMT piece, with the meganium, Vibrava, and Relicanth, I noticed that you don't really have any highlights on the pokemon. I feel like without any highlights, there isn't as much "oomph" in the piece. Plus, with a creature like Meganium who's reptillian, and Relicanth still probably having water slicked on his body, it would make sense that they'd have dynamic highlights on their skin.
Ahh, I can definitely see what you mean! I left out the light effects mainly due to the cloudy/foggy environment, but now that you mention it the lack of reflection especially on Relicanth's body is quite noticeable. I'll make sure to work on it, thanks!

Last edited:
I like the way your eye is initially drawn to the interaction between Meganium, Relicanth & Vibrava but then for some reason I'm being constantly drawn to and focused on the second fogged out Vibrava to the exclusion of the rest of the piece which is a shame as I really like the foreground composition. More of an art appreciator here than an artist but it feels like the second Vibrava is "off" in some way and I wish I could put my finger on why.

PS Really enjoy looking at your art.

Your latest piece certainly looks amazing as always.

Now, I want to get into drawing, but there's a problem: not just that I don't have a tablet (that can get worked around), but that I don't have a scanner, so I can't transfer any sketches IRL onto my computer. This basically means that I need to make my sketch on the computer, without a tablet. Do you know any way to get around this at all, or do I ned to at least have a scanner to start drawing?

Cretacerus

Survivor
Reactions Contest Winner
I like the way your eye is initially drawn to the interaction between Meganium, Relicanth & Vibrava but then for some reason I'm being constantly drawn to and focused on the second fogged out Vibrava to the exclusion of the rest of the piece which is a shame as I really like the foreground composition. More of an art appreciator here than an artist but it feels like the second Vibrava is "off" in some way and I wish I could put my finger on why.

PS Really enjoy looking at your art.
Thanks, man! I did have that feeling as well, but the image looked a bit empty without that additional Vibrava in the background. After adding some light effects to the foreground as suggested above, the foreground now looks lot more defined, which certainly helps. :P

Your latest piece certainly looks amazing as always.
Now, I want to get into drawing, but there's a problem: not just that I don't have a tablet (that can get worked around), but that I don't have a scanner, so I can't transfer any sketches IRL onto my computer. This basically means that I need to make my sketch on the computer, without a tablet. Do you know any way to get around this at all, or do I ned to at least have a scanner to start drawing?
Hey there, nice to see you starting out with digital art as well! As an alternative to scanning in your sketch, you can easily take a photo of it in order to convert it into a digital image, and transfer it to your computer via USB connection or eMail. That should definitely be easier than doing up the sketch with your mouse. ;)

Last edited:
Yeah, I guess that works - didn't even think of that. Thank you ^_^

I've tried making sketches with my mouse before in photoshop CS2, and it didn't work out that well.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Just gotta say I really adore your art. It is amazing every time I see that there is a new post here from you with an amazing picture. I will say that RMT Banner looks really good and I had the same concerns as the ones who have already posted so not much else to say other than what an amazing banner and I cannot wait to read the full RMT once it comes out and glad to see you are working on your art even if you are really busy irl. :)

Cretacerus

Survivor
Reactions Contest Winner
Alright, here's the updated version of my banner with added light effects and polished background, thanks again for all the feedback and comments!
My RMT has been posted yesterday, so just click on the image if you feel like checking out the team. ;)

Cretacerus

Survivor
Reactions Contest Winner
Hey guys, I haven't been very active lately due to a few upcoming projects, but here's some art for the LC Spotlight: Snivy article. Drawing characters with strong personalities is always fun. :D

Snivy.png

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Why is your art so amazing Cretacerus? I wish you had more activity because I would have so many requests to offer up. I would be reasonable though lol. In the Snivy news, that shit is so vibrant and makes Snivy seem so menacing even though it is just a little Grass Snake ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)