Cretacerus Art

I won't be able to do much art nowadays, since I'm quite busy with university work. As such, I won't be taking in any new requests probably until the next semester break.
I know it's not quite there yet, but I have a request I want to make, and I don't particularly care about when it's done - I'd be okay with having it done in a month, for example.

It's relatively easy: Some friends and I are participating in a UCL-like league, and I want a signature picture for my team, called the Anistar Gardevoirs. We're just starting our drafts and will likely take about a month to finish, so I'm not worried about getting it in time - I'm also fine with receiving it after the league starts, and it will be going for a while.

I'll leave most of it to you, but there are two things I want to be in it: The team name (though that should be obvious), and some kind of allusion to Sticky Web, since my team so far seems to have a heavy focus on Sticky Web (sharp/hera/tini/cobal/galv/cloy).

I hope this request won't bother you too much, and it's fine if you deny it, as school definitely comes before everything else.

Mattapod

bad clarinet music
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Alright, here's the updated version of my banner with added light effects and polished background, thanks again for all the feedback and comments!
My RMT has been posted yesterday, so just click on the image if you feel like checking out the team. ;)

just wanted to point out how cool this is, especislly the subtle reflection of meganium in the water

Cretacerus

Survivor
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Reactions Contest Winner
I know it's not quite there yet, but I have a request I want to make, and I don't particularly care about when it's done - I'd be okay with having it done in a month, for example.

It's relatively easy: Some friends and I are participating in a UCL-like league, and I want a signature picture for my team, called the Anistar Gardevoirs. We're just starting our drafts and will likely take about a month to finish, so I'm not worried about getting it in time - I'm also fine with receiving it after the league starts, and it will be going for a while.

I'll leave most of it to you, but there are two things I want to be in it: The team name (though that should be obvious), and some kind of allusion to Sticky Web, since my team so far seems to have a heavy focus on Sticky Web (sharp/hera/tini/cobal/galv/cloy).

I hope this request won't bother you too much, and it's fine if you deny it, as school definitely comes before everything else.
Oh hey, sorry for the late reply. I've been seriously considering this, but in the end I don't think I'll be able to complete the request, unfortunately. :(
At the moment, I'm already working on a couple of other images in my spare time which can hopefully be completed by this year!

-----

Anyway, here's one of the images I've been planning on updating for a long while. It's been ages since Fletchinder left NU, so it's about time I replaced it with something else in my NU Matchmaking banner! Sorry for keeping you waiting so long, NV, I really appreciate you keeping my old banner in the thread despite it being outdated! :P

Water effects can be really hard to draw with the mouse, but I decided to include them anyway to keep with the elemental theme. Still experimenting on how to create realistic looking sparkles and splashing water and with the available tools. ^^

PerfectMatch2b.jpg

Last edited:
That's completely fine. If anything, it gives me something to try and do myself. (I've actually started to try my hand at drawing - ofc I \randpoke Diancie)

And the water effects on that piece work out, it looks as if Kabutops is jumping out of the middle of a wave, with all the spray around him. Great picture overall!

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Anyway, here's one of the images I've been planning on updating for a long while. It's been ages since Fletchinder left NU, so it's about time I replaced it with something else in my NU Matchmaking banner! Sorry for keeping you waiting so long, NV, I really appreciate you keeping my old banner in the thread despite it being outdated! :P

Water effects can be really hard to draw with the mouse, but I decided to include them anyway to keep with the elemental theme. Still experimenting on how to create realistic looking sparkles and splashing water and with the available tools. ^^

View attachment 53233
Oml you never cease to amaze me Cretacerus because this banner is even better than the last one (although both are amazing). I am nowhere near any decent artist's skill (I am lucky if I can draw stick figures lol), but I gotta admit I love the way the water looks like Kabutops is shooting out from it. Really love it. Let me know whenever you are willing to take on requests again, because I would love some banners for my other Matchmaking threads (UU and PU to be exact) as well :)

I have just found out about this thread and have nothing to say but that you are a truly talented artist. Your art is simply amazing to say the least, and I would love to be as good as you. Fantastic art as always; keep up the great work!

Cretacerus

Survivor
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Reactions Contest Winner
Hey can I have a good picture of a Murkow and a bunch of Honchkrow in a forest at night? Thanks.
Hey PlatinumBlad3, unfortunately I won't be having much time for requests in foreseeable future. Sorry! :(

--------------------

Here's a new logo I made which you guys have probably already seen in my signature for the past few days! ^^

The Lost World is a project which aims to restore each fossil Pokemon to their former glory, and subsequently introduce them into the competitive scene of OU. The final products will be playable on the OM server!
Currently we've just started the voting on both Kabutops and Armaldo, so feel free to drop by and participate in the process. It's always great to have more people around! ;)

CretacerusLost_large.jpg

Hey PlatinumBlad3, unfortunately I won't be having much time for requests in foreseeable future. Sorry! :(

--------------------

Here's a new logo I made which you guys have probably already seen in my signature for the past few days! ^^

The Lost World is a project which aims to restore each fossil Pokemon to their former glory, and subsequently introduce them into the competitive scene of OU. The final products will be playable on the OM server!
Currently we've just started the voting on both Kabutops and Armaldo, so feel free to drop by and participate in the process. It's always great to have more people around! ;)

View attachment 53598
Ok, thanks anyway.

Cretacerus

Survivor
Reactions Contest Winner
Integer Mova asked me to draw their OC Hazel based on a sketch, so here's how it turned out! Sorry for the long wait, and I hope you enjoy it! ^^
Hazel.jpg
Hazel_blue.jpg
Hazel_green.jpg
Hazel_purple.jpg
Hazel_yellow.jpg

----------------------------------------------

And here are two recent images I did for community projects:

Smeargle Card Project:
Smeargle's Studio's Secret Santa:

Last edited:
Cretacerus *squee* Thank you so much for the avatar set! Her eyes looks so much better, as well as everything else about the pic.

Also, I would appreciate being referred to as "they", rather than "she". Not that it matters, though.

Cretacerus

Survivor
Reactions Contest Winner
Hey guys, the new article about the Deutsche room on PS just came out, and I'm glad to have some of my art featured in it! When it comes to the German colors, Staraptor has to be one of the best matches not only in terms of color scheme but also as a reference to the traditional bird of prey emblem.

Main art:

Staraptor.png

Drawing birds in a flying position is always a bit of a challenge, as getting the positioning of the wings and especially the individual feathers right can be a huge undertaking. However, this Staraptor has to be one of my best attempts at this so far, and I'm actually quite satisfied with how the wings turned out.
Overall, this piece displays a much more subtle variation in lineart color than for example the avatars below in order to keep the design simplistic, yet more natural looking than a purely black outline could.

Interview avatars:

Empoleon2_ava.jpg
Meloetta_ava.jpg

In my opinion, avatars are some of the most enjoyable things to draw, since a close-up on the faces holds so much potential for conveying the repsective personality and character of the subjects, something that I admittedly still have to work on in a lot of my images.
I tried to go with a relaxed and confident expression on the Empoleon, while giving Meloetta an open-minded and courteous personality. Not sure how well the former worked out though, since something seems to be off in that expression, and might even appear slightly creepy to some people from what I've heard ...

Cretacerus

Survivor
Reactions Contest Winner
Here are a couple of underused LC Pokemon which I drew for our new Little Cup Handbook™ series around two months back. If you're interested in finding out more about their performance in the tier, be sure to check out the complete article here. It's full of interesting information and definitely worth the read! ;)

For the following images, I decided to experiment a bit with a secondary light sources and highlights in order to give the Pokemon a more distinct look. The backgrounds were taken from the DP games, since those little platforms seemed to fit the style of the article really well!

LC_Amaura2.png
LC_Honedge.png
LC_Cranidos2.png

LC_Houndour2.png
LC_Bellsprout2.png

The Cranidos is very cute, and so is the Amaura.

Also, I've been very furstrated with Paint.NET a while back, hence my break from it. It's probably the saturated base colors that I've been using, as you might be able to tell.

Last edited:
Oh my god, i LOVE all of these. I honestly love your style the most out of the artists I've seen on smogon. Everything's super crisp, love your lighting and background work as well. Keep up the great work!

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I have to say that these are absolutely amazing. They feel so life-like (as much as Pokemon can be anyways) and the fact that you nod to the Generation 5's "surroundings" ground (i.e. Grass on Bellsprout, Rock on Cranidos, etc.) makes it seem like these Pokemon are ready to fight. I honestly have to say I am torn on which one is my favorite piece of art but it is probably a tie between Honedge and Amaura as the shading is impeccable. The "glassiness" of Amaura's eyes captures its beauty and the "creepy" feel that the Honedge picture gives off makes me love them even more. Honedge's picture definitely has the most personality thanks to your spectacular art skills and the fact that it is basically a possessed sword.

Overall, I am always excited to see the newest pieces of art you have that I even watch this thread I know I am a creepy stalker but it is just too good not to see the newest piece of art whenever you post. I am always excited to see your new stuff ever since you surprised me with not one, but two banners for my NU Matchmaking thread. And I am not going anywhere as these pieces of art are like little tiny Christmas presents each time there is a new post.

Love you Cretacerus n_n

Cretacerus

Survivor
Reactions Contest Winner
I've been experimenting a bit with human postures recently, since it's clearly one of my weaker suits which I'd like to brush up on. Here's a rather simple one of Giovanni sitting in his chair, which I might use as base for Reisuke's Team Rocket banner in near future, though it still needs some work beforehand. The suit and the crossed legs proved to be more problematic than expected, and I feel like I could have moved his right leg a bit further over his left knee, though that made him look somewhat less comfortable and confident.

Giovanni_sketch.jpg

Hello, I was wondering if I could request a piece? When I found out you did the NU Matchmaking thread's banner, I couldn't help myself but to come over here and ask. If you are available, I would like to request a banner for the NU Archetype Cores thread. Here's a link if you need it http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/archetype-cores-water-flying-ground.3561437/. Also, if you need some ideas, I was thinking of having like a Skuntank, Primeape, and Rotom on there. Thank you in advance.

I've found that for people, by far the easiest way to get it right is to photograph yourself doing the same exact position, in the same exact angle, if possible.

The art is fine as always, but Gio's arms and right leg seem too stiff, like he's holding them against gravity. I think I can pinpoint why:

Arms - They're at an angle to gravity, but the elbows are above the armrests. Either have the upper arms within the borders of the armrests or have the elbows hook over.

Leg - Knee doesn't cross over, right leg is forefront. Source: I'm crossing my legs right now. The straight leg should be visible knee down, while the crossover leg has the knee located a knight's move away, 2 units up and 1 unit right. The lower leg should also be at a smaller angle - I want to say ~15 degrees, but I don't know for certain.

If you're going for confidence, don't play angles. Center the "camera", make Gio face it front and center. As for comfortability, it's pretty much synonymous with "relaxed".

The boss of the Rocket Party That Giovanni looks like he's frustrated from the absence of challengers, or that he is about to challenge someone to a battle. Who is that someone? The world may never know.

Cretacerus

Survivor
Reactions Contest Winner
Hello, I was wondering if I could request a piece? When I found out you did the NU Matchmaking thread's banner, I couldn't help myself but to come over here and ask. If you are available, I would like to request a banner for the NU Archetype Cores thread. Here's a link if you need it http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/archetype-cores-water-flying-ground.3561437/. Also, if you need some ideas, I was thinking of having like a Skuntank, Primeape, and Rotom on there. Thank you in advance.
Hey Winter's Howl, I'd be glad to give your request a shot. However, there are a couple of images that I plan on working on beforehand, so it might take a while before I get to your banner, especially with university starting off again the next week. Hope that's alright for you!

--------

Anyway, thanks everyone for the kind comments and feedback, they're always very helpful and encouraging! I'll try to implement most of Talenheim's suggestions into the image, such as turning the left foot towards the front and making Giovanni's elbows more visible beneath the suit. I'll keep his head in a slight angle though as to have Giovanni glance towards the text that will be on the right side of the image. Hopefully, the banner will be ready by the end of next week. ;)

Last edited:

Cretacerus

Survivor
Reactions Contest Winner
Hey guys! I was inspired by Integer Mova to draw something special for my 666th post, so here are some demonic butterflies ready to destroy the world. Don't be fooled by Vivillon's cute and delicate appearance, for they hide a dark secret under this disguise and will drag you straight to hell if given the opportunity. Enjoy!

# 666
Vivillon.jpg

---------------------------

Shoutouts:

It's been quite the journey since I started out on Smogon four years ago, so - following the theme of this post - here are the sinister six users whose presence and support I've particularly enjoyed throughout this time:

Integer Mova
Nelson Tangela
Reisuke
nv
Sparkl3y
Rhythms

Also, shoutouts to QxC4eva, Doomsday94 and Legofigure11 for being some really awesome and helpful users whom I've had the pleasure of interacting with recently. People like you make these forums a great place, so please continue with whatever you're doing!

Last edited:
It's finally here! Those Vivillon are very cute, but looks can be deceiving. I wonder if or when when they'll attempt to destroy the world alongside other spoopy Pokémon...

Love you too Creta.

just get internet-relation already, because we all know smogon-dating exists

For your 666th post, why 3 butterflies instead of 6? It just destroys the concept D: also, is it me or is it on purpose that they're looking at eachother? Like the red one is looking at the blue one, the blue one at the purple one and the purple one back at the red one.

And thanks for ze shoutout.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)