Crossover Chaos: Hiatus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations to Origin0 for winning Yoshi and Jucherz for the Korok!
There is a four way tie for Kirby between Pika Xreme, nv, RR RR, and Origin0. Please vote for one of these to break the tie (do not vote for you own submission for tiebreakers)
To ensure 'low vote' tie breaks do not happen again, single votes will only be worth one vote as opposed to three. This will hopefully encourage voters to vote for three submissions in a 3-2-1 format. Please discuss or suggest alternate solutions if you feel this is unfair.

Third Slate:
Indie-go Plateau
A wild Cuphead, Shovel Knight, and Shantae appeared!

Submissions end 12th of January.
Please feel free to suggest future slates.​

Last edited:

Pokémon: Shovel Knight
Type:

Signature Ability: Blue Armor - This Pokemon takes 0.8x damage from all attacks.
Stats: 100 / 130 / 120 / 100 / 100 / 80 | BST: 630
Signature Move: Dig Slash -
|
| 150 BP | 10 PP | 100% Acc | Digs underground turn 1, strikes turn 2. | Z-move: 200 BP Steel-type attack
OU Moveset:
Shovel Knight @ Leftovers
Ability: Blue Armor
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Dig Slash
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Swords Dance
Reasoning: Shovel Knight is Steel type because his armor is from steel and his shovel is from steel too. His signature ability is Blue Armor for obvious reasons. He would have some Steel STAB moves in his movepool, some Ground coverage, elemental punches and of course Swords Dance. His signature move is Dig Slash, which is an attack from the game. I decided to make it work like Dig, because adding just a powerful Steel type attack without any effects would be boring. No types are immune to Steel so Dig Slash is much more spammable than Dig and it is much stronger too.

Pokémon: Cuphead
Type: Normal/Water
Ability: Skill Link
Stats: 80/105/80/105/80/120 [BST 570]
OU Moveset:
Cuphead @ Waterium Z
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 200 Atk / 56 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Rock Blast
- Shadow Sneak
- Aura Sphere

Other Moves: Barrage, Bullet Seed, Icicle Spear, Pin Missile, Fly, Water Shuriken, Shadow Punch, Focus Blast, Seed Bomb
Reasoning: Cuphead has Skill Link, fitting how his bullets land many hits in so little time. His access to Shadow Sneak and Shadow Punch reflect one of the abilities he gets from a mausoleum. Focus Blast and Aura Sphere are from his Special Attacks, and Hydro Pump is his fully-charged Special Attack. Seed Bomb and Fly are references to when he's flying. Water-type is the result of his head containing water, but Cuphead otherwise has little elemental affinity, so he's also part-Normal. Speed is his best stat because in the source material, he takes quite some time to take down opponents and goes down in five hits.
Possible Shiny coloration would replace all the red with blue, giving him a resemblance to Mugman.

Type: Steel
Ability: Justified
Stats: 90/120/120/80/100/70 [BST 580]
OU Moveset:
Shovel Knight @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shift Gear
- Power-up Punch
- Meteor Mash
- Aerial Ace

Other Moves: Phantom Force, Boomburst, Flame Burst, Dig
Reasoning: Shovel Knight gets his stat spread as a result of being quite armored. Special Defense is no slouch either, since Shovel Knight takes equal damage from contact damage and, say, Plague Knight's attacks. Shift Gear, Phantom Force, Boomburst, and Flame Burst are all from relics, being the Mobile Gear, the Phase Locket, the War Horn, and the Flare Wand respectively. Power-Up Punch and Meteor Mash both result from the Dust Knuckles. Justified reflects how warriors like him have a distaste for dishonesty. Anchor Shot was left out for balancing purposes. Aerial Ace is a reference to the Turning Swallow Cut, which requires a blade.

Last edited:

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Pokémon: Shantae
Type:

Stats: 100 / 120 / 70 / 110 / 90 / 100 | BST: 590
Signature Move: Hair Whip -
|
| 120 BP | 10 PP | 90% Acc | High critical hit ratio. | Z-move: 185 BP Shattered Psyche
OU Moveset:
Shantae @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Hair Whip
- Frustration
- Fire Punch
- Ice Punch
Reasoning: Shantae is Psychic Normal typing due to her being half genie half human, and magic is generally associated with the Psychic type, while Normal represents her half human side. Her signature move, Hair Whip, is ripped straight from her home game.j

Cookie Butter

formerly the someone
Pokémon: Cuphead
Type: Water/Dark
Ability: Soul-Heart
Stats: 80/80/60/120/60/100 (500)
Signature Move: Parry Slap - Flying | Special | 80 BP | 10 PP | -% Acc | If opponent is holding pink items (notable: Eviolite, Life Orb) or is pink colored, heals 50% HP (like Recover, not 50% drain). | Z-move: 160 BP Supersonic Skystrike
OU Moveset:
Cuphead @ Life Orb
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Parry Slap
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Aura Sphere

Reasoning: Cuphead has liquid in his head, so Water-type. He's also seen gambling (it's how the game starts in the first place), and even has the option to ally himself with the Devil, so Dark-type.

etc.

why does it STILL feel like none of you except Cookie Butter have ever played a Kirby game

Type: Ground/Fighting
Ability: Battle Armor
Stats: 90/120/120/80/90/100 (600)
OU Moveset:
Shovel Knight @ Ghostium Z
Jolly Nature
- Shovel Drop (Physical Ground. 80 BP, 15 PP [max 24]. Hits Flying-types.)
- Sacred Sword
- Recover
- Phantom Force
Other moves: Flamethrower, Fire Blast, Boomburst, Mach Punch
Reasoning: Ground Type because Shovel Knight digs a lot, and Dig is a Ground-type move. Fighting-type because Shovel Knight is, aside from his unorthodox weapon, a true knight with an honor to match, fitting with the Fighting-type. The Shovel Drop is a move Shovel Knight can do in his game, and it's one of the few I felt couldn't be done with a normal move. While Shovel Knight obviously doesn't use a sword per se, the move can apply well enough to the Shovel Blade as well, since he uses it like a sword in his charged attack. Recover comes from the healing ichor Shovel Knight can carry (and indeed uses as a boss). Phantom Force comes from the Phase Locket. Flamethrower and Fire Blast are from the Flare Wand. Boomburst is from the War Horn. Mach Punch from the Dust Knuckles. I'll probably expand the moveset later (citation needed)

Ludicrousity

You humour me greatly with your arrogance and c...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
why does it STILL feel like none of you except Cookie Butter have ever played a Kirby game

Type: Ground/Fighting
Stats: 90/120/120/80/90/100 (600)
OU Moveset:
Shovel Knight @ Ghostium Z
Jolly Nature
- Shovel Drop (Physical Ground. 80 BP, 15 PP [max 24]. Hits Flying-types.)
- Sacred Sword
- Recover
- Phantom Force
Other moves: Flamethrower, Fire Blast, Boomburst, Mach Punch
Reasoning: Ground Type because Shovel Knight digs a lot, and Dig is a Ground-type move. Fighting-type because Shovel Knight is, aside from his unorthodox weapon, a true knight with an honor to match, fitting with the Fighting-type. The Shovel Drop is a move Shovel Knight can do in his game, and it's one of the few I felt couldn't be done with a normal move. While Shovel Knight obviously doesn't use a sword per se, the move can apply well enough to the Shovel Blade as well, since he uses it like a sword in his charged attack. Recover comes from the healing ichor Shovel Knight can carry (and indeed uses as a boss). Phantom Force comes from the Phase Locket. Flamethrower and Fire Blast are from the Flare Wand. Boomburst is from the War Horn. Mach Punch from the Dust Knuckles. I'll probably expand the moveset later (citation needed)
I've played that free Kirbt game on the 3DS if that counts

I've played that free Kirbt game on the 3DS if that counts
You're thinking of Team Kirby Clash Deluxe. But that's not my main point.

My point is that the other Kirby subs don't seem to understand the character beyond his appearance and Smash Bros., let alone the series as a whole, which wouldn't be excused with any other character. Especially with the types of the submissions, being Fairy or Fairy/Fighting, which don't fit the character at all.
Kirby is not a fairy. This is what a fairy (specifically, Ribbon from Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards) looks like in the Kirby universe:

"But", you may ask, "not every Fairy-type is a literal fairy!" While that may be true, they generally can be sorted into categories that Kirby doesn't meet:

Literal explicitly-stated fairy: Clefairy line, Snubbull line
Inspiration from fairies: Flabebe line, Togepi line, Whimsicott, Carbink/Diancie, Morelull line
Inspiration from other mythological creatures: Xerneas, Mawile, Mega Altaria
Inanimate objects (which can also fit into the above, i suppose): Spritzee line, Swirlix line, Comfey, Klefki, Magearna
THE MOOOOOOOOOOON!: Jigglypuff line (uses Moon Stone to evolve), Marill line (ends in Azumarill, a rabbit, and in japan rabbits = moon)
Weird Fair Folk Shit: Ralts line, Mr. Mime, Alolan Ninetales, Mimikyu, the Tapu

There's also Sylveon, but it's directly linked to Fairy-type moves, and Dedenne, which I will freely admit I just don't fucking get.

Next, why Kirby isn't a Fighting-type: Fighting-type is generally associated with honor, martial arts, and aura nonsense. While Kirby can dabble in the latter two with the Fighter ability, his abilities shouldn't be dictating his type (otherwise you might as well make him Bug/Steel). Then again, given the Mario subs, this seems to be an issue less with your understanding of Kirby and more with your understanding of the Fighting type.

And what REALLY frustrates me is that most of the submissions used his Inhale like it's Smash Bros., when that's not remotely how it functions in a Kirby game. This is a common misconception, and I'm really fucking tired of it. And don't even get me started on how far Duplicity is from how the Copy Ability works. That's not even making Smash Bros. Kirby, I have no idea where that could have come from.

tl;dr: lots of kirby subs made by people who don't understand kirby and/or don't understand pokemon types

Cookie Butter

formerly the someone
Please feel free to suggest future slates.
Nailed It (Hammer users) - King Dedede (Kirby), Diogenes (Getting Over It), Hammer Bro or Bowser? Or Koopas in general?? (Mario) and/or Amy Rose (Sonic)
Cutting Edge (Sword users) - Link (Legend of Zelda), Marth (Fire Emblem), Meta Knight (Kirby) and/or Cloud (Final Fantasy)
PokéCompetitors (Monster-catching franchises) - Agumon (Digimon), Jibanyan (Yo-kai Watch), Deviljho (Monster Hunter) and/or Furion (Monster Racers)
Don't do this at home kids (adult-oriented games) - Bayonetta (Bayonetta), Kratos (God of War) and CJ (GTA)

Do Nailed It first pls

Nailed It (Hammer users) - King Dedede (Kirby), Diogenes (Getting Over It), Hammer Bro or Bowser? Or Koopas in general?? (Mario) and/or Amy Rose (Sonic)
Cutting Edge (Sword users) - Link (Legend of Zelda), Marth (Fire Emblem), Meta Knight (Kirby) and/or Cloud (Final Fantasy)
PokéCompetitors (Monster-catching franchises) - Agumon (Digimon), Jibanyan (Yo-kai Watch), Deviljho (Monster Hunter) and/or Furion (Monster Racers)
Don't do this at home kids (adult-oriented games) - Bayonetta (Bayonetta), Kratos (God of War) and CJ (GTA)

Do Nailed It first pls
I'd replace Agumon with WarGreymon (technically the same creature but at a higher level of development), and remove Diogenes because he's got no displays of fighting ability.

Cookie Butter

formerly the someone
You're thinking of Team Kirby Clash Deluxe. But that's not my main point.

My point is that the other Kirby subs don't seem to understand the character beyond his appearance and Smash Bros., let alone the series as a whole, which wouldn't be excused with any other character. Especially with the types of the submissions, being Fairy or Fairy/Fighting, which don't fit the character at all.
Kirby is not a fairy. This is what a fairy (specifically, Ribbon from Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards) looks like in the Kirby universe:

"But", you may ask, "not every Fairy-type is a literal fairy!" While that may be true, they generally can be sorted into categories that Kirby doesn't meet:

Literal explicitly-stated fairy: Clefairy line, Snubbull line
Inspiration from fairies: Flabebe line, Togepi line, Whimsicott, Carbink/Diancie, Morelull line
Inspiration from other mythological creatures: Xerneas, Mawile, Mega Altaria
Inanimate objects (which can also fit into the above, i suppose): Spritzee line, Swirlix line, Comfey, Klefki, Magearna
THE MOOOOOOOOOOON!: Jigglypuff line (uses Moon Stone to evolve), Marill line (ends in Azumarill, a rabbit, and in japan rabbits = moon)
Weird Fair Folk Shit: Ralts line, Mr. Mime, Alolan Ninetales, Mimikyu, the Tapu

There's also Sylveon, but it's directly linked to Fairy-type moves, and Dedenne, which I will freely admit I just don't fucking get.

Next, why Kirby isn't a Fighting-type: Fighting-type is generally associated with honor, martial arts, and aura nonsense. While Kirby can dabble in the latter two with the Fighter ability, his abilities shouldn't be dictating his type (otherwise you might as well make him Bug/Steel). Then again, given the Mario subs, this seems to be an issue less with your understanding of Kirby and more with your understanding of the Fighting type.

And what REALLY frustrates me is that most of the submissions used his Inhale like it's Smash Bros., when that's not remotely how it functions in a Kirby game. This is a common misconception, and I'm really fucking tired of it. And don't even get me started on how far Duplicity is from how the Copy Ability works. That's not even making Smash Bros. Kirby, I have no idea where that could have come from.

tl;dr: lots of kirby subs made by people who don't understand kirby and/or don't understand pokemon types
Kirby is very similar to Clefairy and Jigglypuff. They're all pink puffs. Jigglypuff line also inflates and is jiggly like Kirby. Clefairy line specifically has a connection to stars (Cleffa is the Star Shape Pokemon), and Kirby is closely related to stars as well. Also, Kirby is from space. Space could very easily be equaled to moon. Also Azumarill being Fairy because it's a moon rabbit doesn't make sense, it's the only rabbit that's Fairy-type. It's Fairy because... reasons.
I'd replace Agumon with WarGreymon (technically the same creature but at a higher level of development), and remove Diogenes because he's got no displays of fighting ability.
Or just let people submit an entire evolutionary line for certain characters. If we had to choose a single stage then I'd suggest Greymon since the species is Greymon.
Diogenes could be like Shuckle or Pyukumuku. It could have moves like Circle Throw and Rapid Spin because of the circular motion he does with the hammer. And also Taunt because of the narrator. That plus Stealth Rock should be enough for a good set, depending on typing and stats.

Kirby is very similar to Clefairy and Jigglypuff. They're all pink puffs. Jigglypuff line also inflates and is jiggly like Kirby. Clefairy line specifically has a connection to stars (Cleffa is the Star Shape Pokemon), and Kirby is closely related to stars as well. Also, Kirby is from space. Space could very easily be equaled to moon. Also Azumarill being Fairy because it's a moon rabbit doesn't make sense, it's the only rabbit that's Fairy-type. It's Fairy because... reasons.
I love how you're picking at the side points, presumably due to lacking a counter to the obvious "what a fairy is in the Kirby series" thing

Also:
Hydreigon is similar to Gyarados, and in ways that aren't strictly aesthetic at that, but Hydreigon isn't Water/Flying because that doesn't make sense for it.
The Clefairy line isn't Fairy-type from its connection to stars, it's Fairy-type because it's a literal fairy. Why does this need to be explained?
Issue: space CAN'T be equated to moon. Also, I'm pretty sure someone who destroyed most of a moon once isn't drawing power from the moon. Kirby also lives far away from Earth's moon.
Even if Azumarill isn't moon-related, guess what? That makes two exceptions.

Voting starts now. Congratulations to Origin0 for winning the Kirby tiebreak. New slate will be up on Sunday.
Kirby can be Fairy type because he's cute.

Jucherz
Pika Xreme
KirbyRider1337
G-Luke
Cookie Butter
Ludicrousity
lordofdunans

Also if you check out the front page there's an archive for all winning submissions and a Hall of Fame for winners. You earn different titles as you win more submission. Currently lordofdunans and jucherz hold the title of Captain Rainbow and Origin0 hold the title Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle

Last edited:
Nowhere did I say all cute Pokemon have to be Fairy type.

Anyway Kirby submissions, voting, and tiebreak are now over. Can everyone please take any further discussion about Kirby's typing to PMs.
hot take: you closed the submissions phase for that slate way too early, there was literally only one complete korok submission

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)