Entertainment Curious science theories in Pokemon

Cretacerus

Survivor
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Reactions Contest Winner
Hello everyone,
this is my first time submitting an article idea, but I thought this would be an interesting topic to share with the community. I've been a great fan of the "How moves work" articles in The Smog which aimed to explain in-game issues with real world mechanics, so I want to do something similar with this.

In the article I would like to compile some interesting facts about Pokemon which, while appearing somewhat strange at first, actually match surprisingly well with recognized theories in science.

The ideas I have so far would be:

Giratina: String Theory
Deoxys: Panspermia Theory
Mew: Recapitulation Theory
Archeops: Neoflightless Hypothesis
Vivillon: Chaos Theory (Butterfly Effect)

As for the format, I was thinking of

Intro
  • World of Pokemon can be very different from ours, many things don’t seem to make sense
  • On closer inspection: similarities to some strange scientific concepts of own world
Pokemon 1-5(?)
  • Prominent traits that fit the theory (ex. Giratina: part of the dimensional trio, association to the number 6, banishment into distortion world)
  • What that particular theory says (ex. String theory: originally 10 dimensional universe, 6 of which were wound into a separate “world” at the beginning of time)
Conclusion
  • Nothing of that has been officially confirmed, this was only one way to interpret the Pokemon
  • Lots of other curious details in Pokemon, everyone is free to make their own conclusions and fan theories
  • An important aspect to Pokemon that makes it such a fun and lasting experience is that they provide a lot of room for interpretation and speculation
I'm aware that the deadline is next week already, so I won't be expecting to write this up for the current issue anymore

I like your outline, and it's clear that you're enthusiastic and knowledgeable enough to do justice to the subject matter, which is always important. Granted, it would be a little more highbrow than a typical Entertainment article, so while there probably wouldn't be a wide audience for it, I think it would be interesting enough to feature. It's a yes from me, but I'll leave this open till this issue has released.

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
giratina's actually supposed to be the literal embodiment of antimatter, I doubt anyone at gamefreak knows about string theory

Cretacerus

Survivor
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Reactions Contest Winner
Yeah, I'll be sure to make clear that there is no claim of absolute correctness in any of these interpretations, because they are just that: personal interpretations that are as valid as anybody else's.
The actual motivation of the article is just to confront the weirdness of the Pokemon world with the weirdness of our very own world for entertainment purposes ^^.

I understand that the subject might contrast somewhat with the usual content aimed at our audience, so if there is anything I could change to lessen this discrepancy while staying true to the theme I'd be happy to do so.
Perhaps reducing the content to 4 or even 3 Pokemon would make the article look a bit less ambitious and allow for a more casual reading? I'll definitely aim for a more informal writing style in the article as well.

Last edited:

Cretacerus

Survivor
Reactions Contest Winner
Umm, not too sure how this usually works, but am I free to post my WIP of this in the article workshop?

Quarkz

dGltZSBmb3IgbWUgdG8gbW92ZSBvbg==
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah go ahead, just keep it updated with your latest work so we know what's up. Any questions, ask away either here or on IRC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)