ORAS LC Current team

After being continually destroyed in OU and Monotype, i decided i'd try a new meta and LC was my first pick, my team got me all the way to 1238 ladder-points, at which point i crashed down to 1190, at first i thought this was due to using koffing as a wall, which didnt work, so i decided to switch to the fastest psychic pokemon in LC; Abra, this team has served me well, though im not sure what can be improved

Kung Fu Panda (Mienfoo) @ Eviolite

Ability: Regenerator

Level: 5

Shiny: Yes

EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 236 Spe

Jolly Nature

- High Jump Kick

- U-turn

- Fake Out

- Drain Punch

Here we have arguably the best sweeper in LC at the moment, mienfoo also happens to be my lead, i generally use fake out and U-turn, i sswitch into a poke w/ type advantage and let it unfold from there. The EVs give mienfoo the coveted 19speed which outspeedds quite alot of the meta, this, coupled w/ high jump kick allows it to sweep almost every pokemon. Drain punch is also there for STAB and when i feel like im going to miss HJK. I am using eviolite and not scarf as it is my lead and I want to fake out and U-turn.

blue (Chinchou) @ Berry Juice

Ability: Volt Absorb

EVs: 76 HP / 220 Def / 152 SpA / 60 Spe

Bold Nature

- Scald

- Volt Switch

- Heal Bell

- Thunder Wave

Here is chinchou, my favorite pokemon in the current meta, albeit very slow compared to the likes of ponyta and mienfoo it has average typing but access to some great moves. The berry juice is there so I can restore almost back to 100% hp if im hit by say, an EQ. Scald is there to sweep magby, chimchar and ponyta; the burn proc also helps vs mienfoo which is a physical attacker. I generally switch into this if any of my pokes are statused and I think I can tanka hit, ill heal bell to restore the status, and then thunder wave the opponent and spam scald or volt switch. I have been deating for awhile whether I should swap thunder wave for thunderbolt, opinions on this will be appreciated.

Porygon @ Eviolite

Ability: Download

EVs: 236 HP / 196 Def / 76 SpD

Bold Nature

- Thunder Wave

- Tri Attack

- Shadow Ball

- Recover

Here we have porygon, my favorite tank in LC, I use download as the ability so my atk or spA is raised on switch in, the EV spread makes this pokemon more tanky and defensive. I use thunderwave to spam paralysis on their pokemon, it also allows me to move first if I need to use recover. Tri attack is the best move for Porygon and it 2HKOs numerous pokemon, the added chance at a burn para or frz is nice too. Shadow ball is there to KO abra before it hits me w/ HP fighting. Not sure if this is the best item for porygon though…

Blaze (Ponyta) @ Eviolite

Ability: Flame Body

EVs: 76 Atk / 236 Def / 196 Spe

Jolly Nature

- Flare Blitz

- Morning Sun

- Toxic

- Will-O-Wisp

Here is ponyta, my fire type speedy sweeper, it has access to flare blitz & 19 speed, which is a deadly combo in the current meta, though it gets hit hard by scald I’ll try and use morning sun to avoid this. I use toxic if I think I can tanka few hits w/o the opponent switching, otherwise ill use will-o-wisp to burn and render a physical sweeper useless. The EV spread gives it 19speed and above average defense in the meta, and eviolite makes this even more potent.

Fletchling

Ability: Gale Wings

EVs: 76 HP / 200 Atk / 12 Def / 40 SpA / 180 Spe

Naughty Nature

- Acrobatics

- Overheat

- U-turn

- Swords Dance

Fletching is my other lead if the team has something like abra, as I can use acrobatics to shred most opponents before I can take a hit, swords dance is there to buff my attack and make acrobatics even more deadly, I use overheat for pokemon which resist flying .. like ice types, it is also very powerful and has swept many teams, U-Turn is ther to create momentum incase my poke is in danger.

Patrick Star (Staryu) @ Eviolite

Ability: Natural Cure

EVs: 36 HP / 220 SpA / 248 Spe

Timid Nature

- Recover

- Rapid Spin

- Surf

- Thunderbolt

Here we have the final member of the team, it also happens to be my spinner, it is extremely fast (19speed) and can kill most things with thunderbolt and surf, I had hydro pump on this pokemon for awhile, but I lost countless battles due to the inaccuracy, so I caved in and started using surf instead, works just as well. Thunderbolt is there to deal w/ other water types and hit neutral on bulbasaur and other grass types, recover is self explanatory and I generally use it if im under 45% hp.

Thanks for rating J

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
There are some issues with the team, mostly directly inferior sets being used over the better options. The first of these is your Porygon set. Shadow Ball is entirely useless for your team, as Pumpkaboo, Drifloon, Baltoy, and Natu are the only things which Shadow Ball is useful to hit, however Ice Beam hits all of these harder. You did mention Shadow Ball being used for Abra, but this only has a 1/16 chance to OHKO Life Orb Abra and is thus worse than simply clicking Thunder Wave or Tri Attack. Additionally, your EV spread is a bit sub optimal. Switching to a Calm Nature gives Porygon a much better bulk over all.
Porygon @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 236 HP / 196 Def / 76 SpD
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Tri Attack
- Ice Beam
- Recover

Secondly, Mienfoo lacks Knock Off which greatly reduces its effectiveness. Thus, Knock Off over a second fighting STAB is an obligatory change. However, if you really want the option to switch between High Jump Kick and Drain Punch, either can be run over Fake out. Additionally, Mienfoo functions as a pivot for you team and doesn't gain any partically helpful with the additoal attack investment. Switching to a spread of 236 Def / 36 SpD / 236 Spe Jolly Nature benefits your team much more, providing a secondary Pawniard check, a soft check to Magnemite, and Fighting types.
Mienfoo @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 236 Def / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick / Drain Punch
- U-turn
- Fake out / High Jump Kick / Drain Punch
- Knock Off

Hello there Wall, nice team there great job on building it! First of all I must say that I agree with Fiend's suggestions since they help you improve your team even further and fixes some issues that even though they may seem minimal they can be critical and game deciding at times.

Anyways since this team is already solid synergy-wise I won't be changing any major thing and my only suggestion will be to use Bulky Staryu with EVs of 116 HP / 156 Def / 236 Spe and a Timid nature over your current spread, that EV spread allows you to check both of Archen and Drilbur (avoiding the 2HKO from the latter's EQ) which can be both huge threats for your team if Porygon got its Eviolite Knocked Off which is very common. Another suggestion which is just a small nitpick is to use Psychic over Thunderbolt, you already have Chinchou on your team for Water-types and you don't have a lot of things that can switch into Croagunk so Psychic would be nice to have.

That's all I have to say, I hope I helped and good luck!

Hello there Wall, nice team there great job on building it! First of all I must say that I agree with Fiend's suggestions since they help you improve your team even further and fixes some issues that even though they may seem minimal they can be critical and game deciding at times.

Anyways since this team is already solid synergy-wise I won't be changing any major thing and my only suggestion will be to use Bulky Staryu with EVs of 116 HP / 156 Def / 236 Spe and a Timid nature over your current spread, that EV spread allows you to check both of Archen and Drilbur (avoiding the 2HKO from the latter's EQ) which can be both huge threats for your team if Porygon got its Eviolite Knocked Off which is very common. Another suggestion which is just a small nitpick is to use Psychic over Thunderbolt, you already have Chinchou on your team for Water-types and you don't have a lot of things that can switch into Croagunk so Psychic would be nice to have.

That's all I have to say, I hope I helped and good luck!

tysm :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)