DDR Thread (+ Rhythm Games)

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This thread is for discussing DDR / other step games (idk what the genre is called lol) / rhythm games in general (???), any of your favorite songs or song suggestions, records / etc.

In my dorm there is an old shitty DDR MAX 6th Mix 'cade machine with the panel left open, meaning unlimited freeplay and practice time for yours truly! I'd never played any of the DDR-esque games until I arrived here in August, but it's been a blast so far. The machine is set to use Japanese but the UI is pretty simple and intuitive so I've managed to figure most everything out. I've not even come close to playing all the songs but I can do decently up to 6 feet difficulty at which point my ability to survive falls off pretty fast. Favorite songs: BeForU - BREAK DOWN, RIYU KOSAKA - LOVE LOVE SHINE -- at least off the top of my head
I know there is an arcade near the school which might have DDR and a DnB's downtown with a Step It Up machine but I'm definitely not advanced enough to try either of those out--still if anyone is into those feel free to talk shop.

Anyone have any experience with DDR A? I heard it has one of the best soundtracks yet but I haven't seen it anywhere near me :-[ I also am curious as to whether anyone has suggestions for good practice songs moving from 6 feet to 7 feet and/or for learning the weird-ass step patterns of Doubles which i only started yesterday

Other rhythm games (brainstorming thread talk topics x_x):

-Rhythm Heaven (Is this series over with the last 3ds game?)
-HarmoKnight, good simple rhythm game
-One Finger Death Punch (not really songs but it's just so similar)
-Geometry Dash (does anyone actually like these? They seem so unfair to me whenever I play them, just such a grind)
-Crypt of the Necrodancer (I like this game but am not good enough at it to really do well, maybe I'll try playing the dance pad mode at some point)
-Anyone tried Theatrhythm? They look pretty fun but not sure if they have enough songs or modes to make the purchase worth it
-Persona Dancing Moon looks pretty hype, the p5 edition looks like ass comparatively

Last edited:

Tera Melos

Banned deucer.
I wish they kept Guitar Hero traditional and basic, instead of trying to make it into elaborate Guitar Simulators.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Does rhythym heaven count as a game in a genre like this one? I used to be so good at that game on the ds back in 2008 in kindergarten
Yeah man i played the shit out of that game during a summer vacation a while back, its so fun despite being relatively easy. It's weird but I really liked the touch controls for the first one despite everyone else hating them
DDR was super popular when I was in 8th grade going into high school, the arcades in socal were PACKED with machines, and people were buying or making custom dance mats (or full on super responsive metal platforms) to use with the psx and ps2 versions that were popular around that time, think 2000-2004ish. I attended big local tournaments, and it was the first group of people I met online BEFORE meeting in person. It was kinda like Smogon before Smogon. DDRFREAK was the biggest site and had amazing stepcharts and a huge database of locations of machines listed by country/state/city/arcade. Fun times, I miss the simpler days.

Have you played Beatmania or Para Para Paradise? We all looked like fools playing PPP but it was one hell of a work out.
nope but there are like three BM songs on the machine, ive played them before i think but id need to check again. also wtf i wish ddr was that big here :(

I wish they kept Guitar Hero traditional and basic, instead of trying to make it into elaborate Guitar Simulators.
never played guitar hero, but it looks pretty rockin'. Makes sense that it's going out of style though

Pilo

uses walther
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
i picked up rhythm heaven today in my attempt to finish all the must play DS games i missed during the system's lifespan and holy shit where has this game been all my life. it's an absolute must play for fans of the genre and super accessible thanks to desmume.

I think it's a pretty neat concept and breathes fresh life into the plastic instrument genre. Huge gripe is that there's no practice mode or hyperspeed which pretty much killed the game for me :/ I do enjoy playing Rock Band every now and then though!!

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I was at a local arcade about a month ago and they had a bunch of japanese rhythm games like pop'n and qbeat and stuff. Pretty fun.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)